“My favorite resort in Cozumel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Cozumel

You added Occidental Grand Cozumel to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Cozumel
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 16.6 Zona Hotelera Sur | Colonia El Cedral San Francisco Palancar, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #29 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Chicago, Illinois
“My favorite resort in Cozumel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I have stayed here 3 times in the last 5 years. The resort is the perfect size and in a beautiful location - away from town and on a gorgeous long beach. The staff is helpful but you have to be patient. The rooms are very big with marble bathrooms and it always feel like a treat to stay there. I've visited this reosrt multiple times because I am a diver. The dive shop is fantastic - best prices on the island (they always pick-up other divers from resorts next door that charge twice as much). Multiple trips per day so you have options and the diving is fantastic.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
OccidentalCozumel, General Manager at Occidental Grand Cozumel, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Dear Monika_with_a_K,
Thank you for your loyalty, preference and feedback. We are very pleased to know that you found the dive shop accommodating, will share your comments with them all.
We look forward to seeing you back at the hotel soon.
Yours sincerely,
General Manager Occidental Cozumel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

I want to begin by saying we stayed in the off season, and the staff and food at the Occidental are wonderful. My issue is with the ``Vacation Club`` sales pitch. My husband and I are looking for a vacation home somewhere nice, so we decided to go on the tour of the other property on Playa Del Carmen. After a very aggressive sales pitch (they never gave us the price until the very end...even when we asked for it directly) We told them we were not willing to make such a decision spur of the moment. Our sales representative flipped out on my husband, telling him `you know how football players can get```When my husband informed him that he cannot legally lay a finger on him, the man replied ``We`re in Mexico`` This experience has sickened me to the entire Occidental brand. At the Grande, the food is great, the service is phenomenal, and we only ad minor issues...our safe and toilet did not work.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
OccidentalCozumel, General Manager at Occidental Grand Cozumel, responded to this review, November 25, 2011
Dear Jessica K,
Thank you so much for your kind review regarding your recent stay with us. Your comments and observations are very important to us. We must apologize if the attitude on someone of the Vacations Club staff was inappropriate; Rest assured that your comments have been transferred to the Vacation Club Director so that corrective measures can be taken.
We really value your feedback and I hope you will give us another chance to host you in the future.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Firstly, let me give this resort it's due, and I'll say definitively that I would stay here again. It's beautiful, lush, and for the most part, extremely well maintained. The food was good (fresh fish and other well-prepared meals), and the drinks were as well.

I'm a diver, and this beats any dive hotel I would consider otherwise. As for bringing a date or a wife, here are some things to consider, and I'm trying to offer these thoughts objectively.

1) It's a 20 minute drive to town (not that there's so much in town, but if you need shopping, this is a haul)

2) For a higher-end resort, we found a gap in responsiveness and attention to guests. Several times we had to reorder dishes that we had ordered at the restaurant. We had to call room service back more than once to have the dishes picked up (they'd rather you not leave them outside the room). Also, the meals take a long time to come, and you'll find yourself waiting a long time for amenities like bread, catsup, sugar, etc.,

We're divers and we had a dive planned for when we arrived...we told the check-in host that we needed to check in quickly. She had no other guests, but made us wait after we told her that we needed to hurry to meet our dive boat. I guess it's a matter of regimen, because after 10 minutes of us sitting and staring at her, she went to pour us champagne...we explained again that we were going diving and that we didn't want champagne...she poured 4 glasses anyways. Now, 15 minutes into the waiting game check-in, we remind her that we need to check in, to which she snaps back "that's what I'm doing". Ultimately, we were only given one of our two rooms, and we learned that our two rooms, pre-confirmed to be next to each other, were now in two separate buildings. The other room we would get several hours later on returning from our dive.

3) The DVD players in each of our 2 rooms were not working, and our phones had issues with the receiver and speakerphone...not the end of the world, but something you would expect to be occasionally checked and maintained. Also, we had trouble with our room safe and had to have a security officer come in and open it for us using a key.

4) Bring pants and make a reservation to eat in the nice dining room. They only seat about 15 people a night, and you need advance reservations and pants to eat there. We didn't bring any pants, nor did many of the guests, so we were surprised this was as restrictive.

5) The rooms smell like mildew. I suspect that the sheets are put outside to dry vs a good dryer....the result is that all of the comforters, and many of the surfaces (especially the phone) smells like mildew. It's a shame, because the rooms are nice, with granite bathrooms, but it looses appeal with the smell.

6) Bring bug spray. I'm covered in bug bites, and I used repellant for the most part. I'm not sure what bit me, but I have little bites from head to toe.

All in all, a very good trip, primarily because of the beautiful resort and the quality of our dives...we dove with Aldora, which we were pleased with.

Room Tip: We're told that we were in the 'Royal' area...you might ask if that's available.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Dear GreenNomad ,
Thank you for your stay and for sharing your experience. I would like to apologize if we did not deliver the service as fast as desired. Your comments are very important to us, and help us in working to provide a memorable experience to others; we will be revising them in our heads operational meeting.
Once again we thank you and we really hope to welcome you back again.
Yours sincerely
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed here August 13 - 20th. This resort is away and isolated from the rest of the resorts.. about 15-20 minute drive from downtown. The grounds are great. Everything is kept clean. The entire staff is very friendly and helpful. The room we were given was very nice. King bed, big flat screen TV, mini fridge fully stocked with water, sodas and beer, nice big bathroom with separate shower and tub, and a safe big enough to fit a 15in laptop. A/C in room worked great. Mattress is a bit hard but that was not an issue for us. FYI there is NO room service here. This surprised me considering how much we payed for the all inclusive package. They only thing that needs improvement at this resort is the restaurant's food and liquor at the bars. As mentioned by previous reviewers, not a lot of selection. We stayed here for 7 days and not a single day did we see a dish that included shrimp or steak. WE did notice a pattern though, they served pork every single day. Not sure whats up with that. The bars had very poor liquor selection. One kind of house brand tequila? Wow... .. Corona beer on tap. I think the only decent meal we got was at the two a la carte restaruants they have. Although the portions were small it was pretty tasty. FYI a la carte reservations are required and strictly enforced. For a 7 day stay you get 3 reservations. I had heard they get booked pretty quick so we emailed management a week ahead and made our reservations then. Shoot me an email if you need their email. Other little things that need improvement:
1) Wi-Fi not free. They charge a ridiculous amount like 20 bucks a day or 80 per week!!
2) Since there is no room service; we wanted to take some food from buffet to room; NOT ALLOWED!! Why?? It all you can eat at buffet anyways?? Go figure..
3)Lots of mosquitoes en evening; bring your own repellent!!

In conclusion, grounds are nice, awesome beach, great staff and service. Food needs improvement and bar needs improvement. If you have any questions feel free to ask!!

Room Tip: Bring repellent, do the Pantera Jeep Tour (see tour rep in lobby)
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Aztlan,
We really appreciate your comments about your recent stay. I do apologize that the food and beverage offerings at our resort did not meet your expectation. I will share your valuable feedback with our food and beverage manager to revise properly as well as the reservation specialty restaurants system. We are very pleased to know that you liked our hotel beach and grounds and found our staff accommodating. On behalf of our staff we would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered and indeed we do hope to have a second opportunity in the future.
General Manager Occidental Grand Cozumel
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

A large group of us spent a week at this resort and had a great time. The rooms and food are of consistently good quality, while the quality of drinks varies by bar. The facilities are clean and spread out, meaning that although there were a number of other guests, the resort never felt crowded.

I was surprised that even though the restaurants seated our entire group in the same place for each meal, they had to always add tables to seat all of us. I would have expected that they would learn quickly and just leave them after each meal so that they are ready for the next time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Dear belowsealevel,
Thank you for your stay and for the interest of sharing your experience, I can assure you our main goal is guest satisfaction so we definitely will look into all points you mentioned such as service organization. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you during your stay.
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011 via mobile

We stayed here this past week and had an enjoyable time! The hotel is only running at a quarter of the capacity, so if you're going now, just be aware that you're not going to get the "normal" all inclusive feel. We were upgraded to the Royal Club, which was great, but I don't really know what to compare it to. The room was nice- normal for a hotel room. No view whatsoever, but this was to be expected. Two pools, both of which are kept "pretty" clean- it's in the jungle, so there's obv going to be sticks, leaves, and bugs floating around. The jacuzzi was disappointing- cold and only a fraction of the jets worked.

My only gripe of the trip is the meals. The food isn't bad, but the service at meal times is downright horrible. (yes, i understand the excuse is that it's "Island Time", but it went way further than just being a little slow). Breakfast was the worst. There were only two places to eat, one of them only being open for dinner, leaving you to eat at the Beach Club for every meal. With the breakfast club being open to the outdoors, we often found mouse/rat poop on our table and wooden placemats. So gross. I pointed it out once when we were switching tables, and the waiter just shook it off the mat without cleaning it. This especially sucks because you are never given a plate for your toast or bread to eat on- you have to set everything down on your placemat. Really unsanitary.

Just know that there wasn't a single buffet meal our whole week there, and at times, portions are very small, and we left meals still hungry at times. The service was dreadful- always leave yourself at least an hour for meals. It took everyone at least 20 minutes to get a drink and place your order- every meal, every table- frustrating. The selection of food is not good either. The bread that they put on your table is stale stale stale. The Royal Club restaurant- the only other place to eat- their menu didn't change once our whole time- leaving you with just a couple options for dinner that you rotate through. Royal club meals are delicious though. Breakfast selection is bad- if you don't like eggs, you have three choices for breakfast- 3 mini pancakes (which were hard as a rock), 2 slices of French toast (really good, and the only thing I ate all week), and 3 mini waffles. Portions are small (egg portions were better). If you make a special request, count on not getting it anyway. And if you ask for it again, it takes another 20 minutes, and you're done anyway.

I actually don't mind all inclusive food, so with that being said, I believe that my review is pretty accurate about the food. Nothing is an exaggeration.

Diving- the dive shop is great. Alberto and Ishmael were great guides, and we had a lot of fun. Prices are extremely reasonable, and the shop is run professionally.

Rooms are kept clean- thank you! Dirty room service plates, like another traveler said, were left outside everyone's doors for days.

Bugs are bad, bring bug spray.

Drinks are weak weak weak, but hey, it's an all inclusive.

While our whole trip was great, I don't think I would return to occidental based on the food and service at meal times. A vacationer shouldn't dread breakfast time,

• Stayed September 2011
Grand Blanc Mi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Just returned from the Grand over LaborDay Weekend and we had a great time. The trip was a deal probably due to the season. The hotel was about 30% full and this was good and bad. First the bad, the food selection was not all there. Breakfast was sparce (no bacon or sausage), luch was the ussual fajitas. They accually closed the buffet 2 nights and had only the al carte restauraunts open. No pool/beach service for drinks. With this said, the good..... very intimate setting. No crowds for anything, you knew pretty much all of the guests names, like a week long party. The jewel of the trip was the entertainment director Sophia. The first couple of days we had a hard time getting enough milk for the baby, pool service, kids club ect. when sophia came and asked what they could be doing better. Well my wife accomodated here and let me tell you, we felt like royalty for the rest of the trip. Plenty of milk, maid service, pool, juice, hotdogs for the kids. Still no bacon at breakfast :( . I'm a dive nit and Dive Palancar onsite did not disapoint. They are as together as ever. Great dives. Did see the Dressel Diveres from the Iberostar dragging a group of reef wreckers through some tight swim throughs but that was the only negative from a give perspective.
Great guests, Great times.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
OccidentalCozumel, General Manager at Occidental Grand Cozumel, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
Dear JoniM,
Thank you very much for staying with us. We are glad to read your review; effectively the season is different from September to December in Cozumel, but we are always committed to provide the best to our guests, All our staff is trained to do all they can at any time when a guest ask for personal requests, like you did sharing you needs to Sandra (entertainment director).
Once again we thank you for choosing us and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Yours sincerely,
General Manager Occidental Grand Cozumel

Been to Occidental Grand Cozumel? Share your experiences!