“Really helped me out in a pinch!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Plaza Cozumel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Plaza Cozumel to your Saves list
Hotel Plaza Cozumel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 2 norte entre Rafael E. Melgar y 5av | Col. Centro, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #21 of 58 hotels in Cozumel
Mobile, Alabama
“Really helped me out in a pinch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

While diving in Cozumel, I suffered from decompression sickness. I was forced to spend an extra two nights in Cozumel. I was staying in the southern resort zone, but to extend my stay was going to be too expensive (and too far away from where I was receiving treatment). So, I decided to move in town. I found Hotel Plaza Cozumel on the internet at an excellent nightly rate (perhaps because it was the low season) and booked it. I had a secondary issue in that I needed to drop off my bags and my brother's bags before going to get treatment the day I was to check in. At the same time, we needed to be able to get my brother's bags back from the hotel so he could fly out as scheduled. All of this before check in time. I wrote the hotel and email and got a very quick response that they would have my room ready at 8:00am (6 or 7 hours before check in time) and my brother could leave his bags at the front desk. With so much to arrange and coordinate in rescheduling my trip and getting treatment, it was wonderful how easy and quickly this hotel solved one of my obstacles for me.

The staff was always friendly and helpful. They have a strange procedure where you leave your key at the front desk when you leave the room, but it never presented any problem for me, so I was okay with it. They serve a pretty good better-than-continental breakfast.

The room is basic, but clean with a lot of television channels (which was necessary since I was on bed rest). My only complaint is that the beds are pretty hard. Several days stuck in bed took its toil.

I would definitely consider this hotel in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

69 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

The building is old, BUT the hotel is very well-kept and clean overall.

-The good size guest room (I was on the 3rd floor facing water) had fairly new paint on the wall and lighting/bathroom fixtures appeared very new(shiny!) as well.
-When I asked for a hair dryer at the front desk they gave me practically brand-new dryer still in the original box/bag!
-They give you a bottle of water each day
-Nice complimentary Breakfast buffet(selections of hot entree/fresh tropical fruits/variety of bread/yogurt & granola) by roof-top pool

>Wooden furniture in the room could use some updating...Especially the wooden guest room doors with no deadbolt/security chain/auto-lock didn't seem too secure. I put a chair and my luggage behind the door at night. Would love to see some improvement on the door situation in the future.

I am satisfied at this hotel overall though, and will stay here again when I go back.
Great location too - close to restaurants/shops/piers etc.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

The hotel was super clean and the staff was very helpful and the breakfast each morning was delicious Mexican fare. We were there for 10 days in May and when we asked for ice they brought us a fridge for our room. The pool on the roof was quite nice and never busy. We also loved the seafood restaurant around the corner called Camilo's. The sopa de lima was great and the coconut shrimp with tamarind sauce was amazing. We are hoping to go back to Cozumel and we would definately choose this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

This place was great. It's a wonderful location, close to the city center, but on a quiet side street.
It's clean, the staff is nice, and it was the cheapest hotel we found. Take advantage of the breakfast. It's not like other hotels, with the standard pastry, cereal, juice routine.. Their complimentary meal is cooked to order, and fantastic.
The pool area on the roof is great. The only thing I can say was lacking was their elevator, 3 person max, and you feel like cheating death every time you take it.. But honestly, is 4 floors, take the stairs, no big deal.
In conclusion, this hotel was great, this is where we will be stying every time we come back to town.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

i was very happy with this hotel, and I am quite a picky person! I paid $57/night, and was traveling by myself. The front desk staff was quite friendly and every day I would tell them where I was going and how much should i expect to pay a taxi driver... this ended up saving me quite a few dollars, as the taxis have no meters.

This hotel is 250 meters from the Ferry to Playa del Carmen. I didn't know this and the taxi I took from the Ferry took me on quite a tour of Cozumel before depositing me at the hotel. I was quite surprised an hour later when I went for a walk and saw the Ferry was literally around the corner.

I had a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the street, nearby rooftops and ocean views as well... Mexican rooftops are pretty dirty, so its not the best view!

beds are clean, and the mattresses are quite firm. Fine for sleeping, but not comfortable for reading or watching TV.

furniture is old and little wobbly, but you're in mexico, so who cares.

there is an fully functioning elevator, which is unusual for budget accom in latin america!

By far the best thing about this hotel is the rooftop pool. The pool is 2/3 shallow and 1/3 deep. the shallow end is about chest height when sitting and the deep end is about chest height when standing (i'm 5foot9 or 175cm). The shallow end is great for lounging. I usually had the whole roof top to myself, but its late April, so the hotel isn't very busy. the pool water was very clean, and a nice cool temperature, great during the day, but maybe a little cool for night swims. the bathrooms on the rooftop were kinda gross though, so better to go back to your room. great views of the ocean, nice place to watch the sunset. pool is lined with lounge chairs, great place to read a book or tan.

Housekeeping staff is great, I left a tip of $3-4 per day and came home to different towel animals on the bed every day.

breakfast is nothing special. I only went once and options were cold omelets, or cereal.

there was some construction going on in the room next door on the weekdays during my stay. They started with their power tools at around 10am, which was annoying, but i also took it as a sign that I should get the heck out of bed and onto the beach!

Room Tip: ask if there is construction going on.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Camden, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

Research pays off. Trying to find a budget hotel in Cozumel on short order is a challenge- win some lose some. This was a great hit. Few things impress me as much as being treated well by management and from the moment we entered the hotel with our reservation we were treated with respect by a friendly, professional staff. EVERYONE, from desk manager to cleaners to maintenece workers appeared cheerful and helpful whether asking for an extra towel or getting directions. This is definitely a hotel that has seen better days, however, it is kept exceptionally clean and well stocked and if there are things you need the desk will gladly try and assist you in getting it. A very nice breakfast is included and you are encouraged to linger over breakfast and make whatever plans for the day with access to a community computer. A rooftop pool is kept clean and inviting and a wonderful place to relax, read, have a drink in the evening and watch the passing parade. We were also so impressed when we returned a few days after checking out and into our long term rental and found a shirt we had left in our room had been stored in their lost and found and returned with a huge smile from the manager. Great find that we will definitely return to.

Room Tip: WE enjoyed being on the 4th floor as we had a nice view and were just a floor below the rooftop pool...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Plaza Cozumel during Carnival. The hotel was in the perfect location to enjoy everything downtown Cozumel has to offer shops, and the parade. We took the ferry across from the mainland Playa Del Carmen to Cozumel. When exiting the ferry the hotel is just two blocks down on the left with a right on Calle 2 Norte. We stayed in room 315 (corner room) at the end of the hall. The water pressure and AC in the rooms was great. The beds were a little firm, but sufficed. Every morning fresh fruit, mango, papaya and watermelon was set out along with a special egg combination, accompanied by beans, chicken and breakfast pastries on the rofftop overlooking the pool and cruise ships.
There is not a safe in your room, but one is available at the front desk for complimentary use with a $100 deposit which they return when you return your key. We had a rental car and parked it right out front. One day the parking was full, but there is a lot right across the street where you can park overnight for $5.00 and the hotel covers half the cost, so it was only $2.50. We purchased all our drinks and snacks at the OXXO station (similar to 7-11) just one block to the right of the hotel. We refilled our water bottles with complimentary water in the lobby. There is also 2 complimentary computers in the lobby set-up for free internet use.
Gilberto found out it was our Birthdays (3 of us) and brought up a special "tres leches" (3 milk) cake and sang Happy Birthday. Gilberto and Amelia were both very helpful and nice at the reception.
We had a very special rate for the 4 of us who shared a room. For less than a $90, taxes included per night, and walking distance to the town square, Wet Wendy's, and numerous restaurants, this is the perfect location for the value, thus why I gave it 5 stars. We will return again in the future. Muchas Gracias!

Room Tip: Check the water pressure. If not good ask for a room with an upgraded toilet. Some rooms have much h...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Plaza Cozumel? Share your experiences!