“No way a 5 star” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Pennsylvania
“No way a 5 star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

This is a nice clean hotel that has wonderful staff but anyone who rates this 5 star has not stayed in many places. We have stayed here 4 or 5 times and it suits our need but it needs an updating. Rooms are ok, nothing special. Beds horrible. As others have mentioned the lights are dim in the rooms and bathrooms. I mentioned this in a review a few years ago and I see people are still talking about it so appears that they don't pay too much attention to our reviews. We are on the 3rd floor and the elevator will not stop at our floor so we are forced to walk down 2 flights of dimly lit stairs with no handrail. I really don't understand why they would bother to put people on a floor where the elevator does not work. They never mentioned it at check in although they did offer to change our room. The door to the stairs slams shut each time someone goes down the stairs and it has has been annoying.

Food in the restaurant in OK, nothing special. I would tire of it after a few days if I was doing the all inclusive plan but we venture out to local restaurants. A car is a must.

Hot tub is warm not hot and pool is freezing.

Would I return? Probably but I would hope some updates are made.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Salavatore, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2010
Dear Sir or Madame,
We appreciate your letting us know about the inconveniences you had during your stay with us. We always appreciate our customers' reviews as they help us improve every day and provide even better service. We are in the process of making general improvements to our Hotel, so we would be honored if you'd consider us for your next vacation.
Please be assured that we will work hard to correct those problems you found while staying with us.

Salvador Sánchez Meza

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Elberta, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

I stayed at EL Cid La Ceiba for two weeks at the end of Oct. The hotel is old. I
believe that the staff do as good a job as they can given the age of the property.

I traded these weeks through RCI (listed gold crown, but wasn't) and was to have a two bedroom, well that wasn't exactly true. What we got was three small single rooms, each with a bath (shower/tub combo). One room had a very small kitchen area (two burners, microwave, small refrig and sink, no little oven), dining room table with 6 chairs, small couch (seats 2), one easy chair, a murphy bed (couldn't believe it), TV, very small balcony with two chairs. Room two was a standard king room at a Super 8 motel, bed, dresser, TV, small closet, small table with two chairs, a small balcony with two chairs. Room three was identical to room two, but
with two queen beds. Now we all know about lock-outs, but not in this configuration.
What you had were three small rooms, connected by an enclosed hallway that faced the
street with no curtains, and was not air conditioned. This meant you had to keep the
doors to the rooms closed (it was very warm and humid), which meant you always had to
carry a key with you. Example: wake up in king bdrm 2, grab key, go to small kitchen
bdrm 1, use key to get in, make coffee, come back to bdrm 2 use key to get back into the
room. Incovenient, but not impossible to deal with, my wife only had to go down to the
desk once in her PJ's to get another key, because she forot to pick up her key before
leaving bdrm 2 to go and make coffee in bedrm 1, got locked out and I was not there. We
were in rooms 1531, 1532, 1533 and 1631,1632,1633 (will explain later), and 1531 means
room 31 on the fifth floor, whatever.

This located us in the tower at the southern end of the property.
Balconies are very small, two person max. We had three balconies, they didn't connect, so
we couldn't set outside with friends as the balcony only seated 2. The views from the
balconies would have been alright, except there are huge docks right in front of our
rooms which were constantly filled with cruise ships, most mornings between 4am and 9am,
four cruise ships would cruise in and park right out in front of my 3 semi-useless
balconies. The truck ferry also loads/unloads about 200 yards from our balconies. The
hotel has real wood fired pizza ovens also located directly below the balconies. So
let's run thru a day: wake up, do the room and key shuffle, bring back coffee, set out on
the balcony with my wife, listen to all the cruise ship loud speaker announcements, watch
the thousands and thousands of people disembark, watch all the excursion boats pull up,
load and unload cruise passengers (this lasts all day), listen to the diesel engines of
the truck ferry every four hours as it loads and unloads for an hour and cruise ship horns blowing from 3-7pm every day except Sunday (no cruise ships on Sunday). Almost forgot about the bar for the cruisers with the DJ and music that was blaring 150 feet from the balcony 6 days a week from 12 - 6pm, at least it wasn't at night. When the days aren't to hot or humid, it's nice to have the door open to the balcony. After day 5 I got to where all the noise from 10000+ people coming and going didn't bother me much, so I'd open the balcony door and enjoy the air, until they cranked up that damn wood burning pizza oven. The first time that I noticed this was on day 2 and at about 2pm, I had the balcony door open and had gone down to the bar for a drink. Came back to the room at 3pm and walked into a room with a heavy smoke smell from the pizza oven. That smell lasted for days, but I found out close balcony doors by 1:30pm, leave shut until at least 7pm, by that time the wood is just coals and no longer stinks. Close balcony doors when you go to sleep because that damn ferry would park outside and you could hear it's diesel engines, even with the balcony door shut and the ac running and sometimes it would park there overnight, so forget listening to the water hitting the sea wall (no beach at El Cid).

As I said there's no beach at the hotel, but there is a nice large area to set out along
the sea wall. There are stairs down into the water so you can go snorkeling right in
front of the hotel, but be very careful, it's slippery and saw several people take hard
falls. According to our friends (Rickki and John) who are die hard snorklers, this had
some of the best close in snorkling on the island. They have a snorkel shop and for
$12/day, you get mask, fins and snorkel (life vest $4 extra). My wife who doesn't like
the water much, but really enjoyed snorkeling at El Cid.

The hotel allows cruise ship passengers for a small fee to come and use the facilities.
This did not seem to be a large problem as there isn't very much at the El Cid. The pool
has a 36'x36' usable swim area, about the size of a Holiday Inn pool, I say usable as
thats where the water is at least 3' - 6' deep. There is one restaurant/bar (I don't
count that damn pizza oven, though the hotel does). There is free wireless internet in
the lobby and there is no internet in the rooms, although I found I could get a weak
signal from my semi-useless balcony. So when cruise passengers did use the facilities,
it would get a little crowded around the pool and the internet would almost crawl to a
stop, but they were all generally gone by 4pm.

The ground are very small at the El Cid, but what there was, was clean and they tried to
keep it looking nice.

The restaurant makes a decent omelet for breakfast(no buffet), but really wasn't
impressed when I ate dinner there, either with food taste or price. My wife likes
strawberry daiquari's, she said it was absolutely the worst she had ever had, basically
tasted just like syrup, no real fruit was included.

Back to the rooms. We originally were in 1531, 1532 and 1533. All three a/c's broke.
These are antique units that are about 5' x 3' hanging from the ceiling above the beds.
They are loud, and almost drown out the noise of the ferry outside. Management was
pretty good about getting them fixed within 3 to 6 hours. Room 1533 didn't have hot
water, just warm when we arrived, they fixed it 4 days later (yes, they were notified about the
issue). All rooms had a bit of a musty smell, they perfume it pretty heavily before you
check in, but by day 2 that smell had worn off and you had the musty smell the rest of the
time. We thought we had a non-smoking room, but ashtrays were in all the rooms. My wife
would not put our clothes in the dressers, they smelled pretty bad. When we got home,
she washed even the clothes that we didn't wear, because they smelled to her. Even
though the a/c's worked most of the time and the rooms were cool, they would not reduce
the humidity in the room, sheets felt cool and damp when you got into bed. Our freinds
Rickki and John had their bathroom sink fall out of the countertop, but they said no
problem, the snorkling is great. After the third a/c broke we switched rooms to
1631,1632 and 1633. We only had to get one a/c repaired there, but the water line in the
hallway broke and flooded the hallway, luckily it didn't get in the rooms. Water was
dripping from the ceiling on my wife while she was taking a bath on our 2nd day in the rm
1632, I asked her just to use another bathroom as I was tired of complaining about the
rooms. I never did tell the hotel that the water was dripping from above in the room, so
if they read this, fix it. Also you will need to have replace some light bulbs in the
rooms. They just don't use bright enough bulbs and the rooms are very dark at night.

Our friends had a 1 bdrm. It was just about the size of 2 of our rooms. The taxes for
their room was $78, the taxes on our rooms were $290. Beware of the taxes.

As with all resorts, you will get asked to attend a time share presentation. They were
not pushy and offered some nice benefits for attending (reduced excursion fees and two
days free car rental). This was for a 90 minute presentation at the new El Cid hotel
near Playa Del Carmen. Be aware that we met in the lobby at 8:15am and returned to the
hotel at just before 6:00pm. The ferry rides are 40 minutes each way and the new El Cid
hotel was closer to Cancun than Playa Del Carmen so the driving time was another 40
minutes each way. I would like to meet the people who only end up spending 90 minutes at
a presentation. If you have only 7 days, you will give one entire day away for this
presentation.

We really enjoyed our trip to Cozumel, the island is great. El Cid La Ceiba is an okay
hotel for someone really wanting to snorkel and dive. Charters pick you up right at the
hotel dock and the snorkling is pretty good right there, but if you're wanting to rest and relax with a little luxury on the side, this hotel is not for you.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Salavatore, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
Dear Sir and Madam,

Thank you for your review and recent stay with us. We appreciate the candor of your remarks, but can't help feeling a little bit surprised about some of them, specially since we've always received great reviews about our wood oven pizza. We are sorry that you found it incovenient, and that the cruise ship passengers bothered you, but we find that most guests do enjoy watching the movement and hustle of the people from the ships.

As you can see from previous comments and reviews, most of our guests find El Cid to be an enjoyable experience; we pride ourselves on personalized service and attention, and would love to have the opportunity to have you again so you can see that our staff is highly trained to fulfill your needs.

Looking forward to having you again soon,

Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

Very hospitable resort. All the staff was warm and welcoming. All staff was very tentative to every need. Concierge's were all great!! Resort was a little dated but, comfortable. Did not like the lighting in the rooms. Very dim. Shower curtain was too short and had to continually remove it from my body while it slammed up against me while showering. Found the all inclusive to be expensive for what you got. Needed a change in menu. We were there for two weeks and found the menu to get old after 5 days. Also, we do not drink much and found it to be pricey for the food you get. Recommend you have an all inclusive price for non drinkers. Found many restaurants to be much cheaper and better quality food. Did not like that you had to pay for internet service. Most resorts we stay at offer it for free. Cost to make a phone call to the states was $4.00 a min when we could go around the corner to the internet cafe for 50 cents a minute. We like to cook our own food. This resort had the all inclusive optional which was nice. Although they need a few more items for cooking like a paring knife, sharper knives, colander for pasta drainage. Need refrigerator that has a freezer. Maids kept our room spotless and very friendly. Overall the hotel was clean. Maintenance workers were always making sure grounds looked good and were spotless. Thought it was a good location but, did not like the site of the cruise ships in the way of some wonderful sunsets. Also, did not like the horns of the cruise ships waking me up early. Only one day a week the ships don't come in that is Sunday. That is the only day for good pics of the sunsets. Beds I found need to be updated. Very uncomfortable. Didn't sleep well. Average snorkeling right in front of the property. For a beginner this location is good. Best night at this hotel is beach night. When they have the dinner on the beach. That was awesome and all the food was GREAT.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you very much for your review and recent stay with us.

We certainly appreciate all feedback, and we'll improve on those areas that you felt were not up to your standards, we'll surely improve the kitchen implents and hopefully next time you come back you will see that we do take all our guests' suggestions into consideration.

We are glad that you enjoyed our beach night, we like to give our guests a fun, relaxing atmosphere with great food and music, so we're very pleased that you liked it as much as we do.

We hope to see you again soon, so we can pamper you even more.

Kind regards,

Gig Harbor, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

Just returned home from another wonderful visit to the El Cid La Ceiba.
Every time we go we are treated with genuine affection as if we are
truly part of the staffs extended family. We have been there probably
10 times and each time it's like a family reunion.
When you first walk in, you see the beautiful colors of the turquoise
sea. The music is beautiful and staff so friendly and accomodating.
My husband and I are divers and we usually bring others down to
experience the awe inspiring coral reefs. Everyone has wanted to
come down again and stay at the El Cid.
We love our room. The showers have great water pressure. The
housekeeping staff does a wonderful job. The views from the room
our amazing. We enjoy watching the cruise ships coming and going.
The restaurant is a beautiful, tropical breezy place to enjoy good food
and the view. The waiters and waitresses are very nice and fun to talk
with.
The front desk staff are all more than happy to help you with anything
you could need. Maria actually taught my sister in law and me to crochet
off a loom they have in Mexico.
Our experiences at El Cid keep us coming back, again and again.
Lynn and Ed Colorado

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Dear Sir and Madam,

On behalf of everyone who works here at El Cid la Ceiba, we want to thank you for your kind review and stay with us. We are very happy to read that you were pleased with our staff and facility, and can't wait to have you here again very soon.
I will pass this message along to the staff, and I'm sure they'll be delighted to read that they were able to make your stay a pleasurable one.
Looking forward to seeing you again in your home away from home.
Berrien Springs, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

We recently stayed at the El Cid La Ceiba and found it to be a very nice hotel. We exchanged through RCI for a 2 bedroom 3 bath and it was perfect for our purposes. The hotel is very clean and everyone working there is friendly and will go out of their way to help you. The snorkeling right in front of the hotel was very good. Unfortunately a couple days were very windy and we were not able to go in the water as the red flag was up. The only 2 negative things I can say is I thought the rooms could be better lit (kindof dark) and the drinks at the bar were a bit weak. We did not use the all inclusive feature so I cannot recommend the food. We never ate at the hotel.

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir or Madam,
Thank you very much for your review and your patronage. We are very glad to know that you found El Cid la Ceiba to your liking, and we will work very hard to improve upon those points that were not up to your standards.
We invite you to come again soon, we are always improving our service and facilities, and I'm sure that next time you visit, you will love El Cid even more.
Hoping to see you again soon!
SFbayarea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

Right on the beach, showers by the pool, nice sunsets, kitchenettes in the rooms, microwave, stove, blender, frig, coffeemaker, combo tub/shower, bed and murphy bed, great beach area, nice little covered patio to hang things to dry, and for looking at the views, dock pick-up for diving, decent snorkeling right at the hotel, good location (not what it was in years past, but that's true for most of the snorkeling), wish it wasn't so close to the cruise pier, hammocks. The restaurant is probably one of my biggest complaints, the food is too expensive for what you get (maybe i just know Cozumel too well, and know so many restaurants with much better food for the money.) I also didn't like how dim the light bulbs were in the room at all, but i requested another lamp and bought brighter light bulbs at Chedraui market and changed out 4 or 5 bulbs since I was staying two weeks and refuse to be blind. The truly sad thing for me about Cozumel is that the hurricane did so much damage to the shallow reef that it's not the snorkel/shore dive spot it once was, and the addition of constant cruise ship people has made the locals change their focus . Don't know if I'll go back any time soon. It used to be such a great dive/snorkel island; now they are building up the beach so much, it's becoming more and more like Honolulu; yuk. I may stay in Tulum or Akumal in the future. I don't like all the tourist stuff or the assumption that I'm a walking wallet. I liked the mellow family oriented locals and the natural state of things more 10/15 years ago. That mixed with the encroachment of the hotels on beachfront, and the extensive reef damage by hurricanes make me think I may choose other vacation destinations in the future.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your review and recent stay with us at El Cid la Ceiba. We're very sorry to read that you might choose another destination for your future vacations, we do understand that the reefs suffered a lot from hurricane damage, and that those reefs were a big draw for snorkelers and divers. We sincerely hope that you give Cozumel and El Cid another chance, we love our guests and we do everything possible to ensure our guests' satisfaction.

Looking forward to seeing you again soon,

Livingston, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

We went to Cozumel to relax and unwind. This hotel absolutely gives you every opportunity to do just that. I cannot say enough about the kindness and dedication of the staff. Our housekeeper, Goudelia, worked graciously to make sure that our suite was always PERFECT. She was always going above and beyond. All of the staff work tirelessly to make everything as beautiful as the pictures. And for those wanting a little more excitement it can be found there also. So much to do and so little time. What a wonderful vacation and a wonderful hotel!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Salavatore, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2010
Dear Sir or Madam,
Thank you so much for your patronage and your kind comment. We are very pleased to know that your stay with us at El Cid la Ceiba was pleasurable and relaxing, but specially, that you found our staff to your liking. We strive for our guests' satisfaction every time they come by providing them with personalized and friendly service, so we are indeed happy that we managed to convey that to you.
We look forward to welcoming you again very soon!
Kind Regards,
Salvador Sanchez

Been to El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!