“Serene Escape” 4 of 5 stars

Atlanta, Georgia
“Serene Escape”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Check-in: Fast & Friendly

Room: One bedroom suite w/ Murphy bed. Large shower, 3 sinks, 1 soak tub, microwave, mini fridge and burners. Two balconies with chairs

Pool: Small. Great color display & water feature at night.

All-inclusive: Worth every penny if traveling with a family. You must sign every food/drink bill. They write your wristband number on each bill.

Main Restaurant: Good appetizers and main courses. Attentive waiters. Deserts were not good. Chocolate cake and Apple pie sucked. Closes at 10:30pm

Bar: Fruit Punch and frozen drinks are the best.

Room Service: ends at 10:30pm

Atmosphere: Relaxing. Older crowd with grandchildren. Many beach chairs were available.

Location: At the end of the Cozumel strip. Across the street from Park Royal.

Transportation: Taxi to the airport was $17 usd per car. Shuttle from the airport was $38 usd for 4 people. The airport charges a surcharge. You can't leave in a taxi.

Overall Good Value

• Stayed April 2013
Andresmaillard, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Guest:
Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay and impression of the hotel! We appreciate your the time to tell us what a positive experience you had!!!
We sincerely appreciate your recognition and we look forward to welcome you back very soon.
Sincerely Yours,
Andrès Maillard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Our stay started off rocky. We arrive and check into a room that was NOT what we booked. One studio hotel room can not be passed off as a deluxe suite. There also was a miscommunication with our package. We were told we would have $600 resort credit to go toward food/drinks or Scuba or even the Spa. When we arrived it was a coupon book with discounts to those places.
We were extremely disappointed after two days with two teenagers and my husband packed into that tiny room we PAID to upgrade to a nicer room. The rooms in the tower are very nice.
The manager was the only staff that seemed to work with us. The front desk ladies were not welcoming nor helpful.
Don't get me wrong... We had a wonderful trip and even the miscommunications didn't ruin our vacation. Sometimes you just have to roll with things to keep the right attitude.
Thank you el CID for allowing us to visit Cozumel for the first time and fall in love with it! We will be back, and I will recommend your resort to others, but I will not false advertise to get them to go to your resort.
I would definitely Stay in a tower room again.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay here with us and we are always open to do the best to have happy guest, I’m glad our staff was able to help you guys in your time of need.

On reference of the coupon credits Thank you to bring it into my attention, we will reforce this part in order to have more clearly.

Thank you for your time writing this review and hoping to welcome back you very soon.

Cordially Yours
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

First - have stayed at this hotel over the decades, the last being May 2012; time to return to the island. In the past six months we have been diving in St. Lucia, St. Maarten and Dominica - Cozumel is still one of the best.
Second - booked trip on Expedia today. Was thinking Cozumel Palace, but El Cid La Ceiba had a $600 resort credit "coupons to be used on spa treatments, car rental, dive shop, restaurant, tours and more" as stated word for word. No brainer, we would use it on diving with the resort and maybe upgrading the room.
Third - the bait and switch. Once I booked it with my American Express card, a link popped up to click to print the $600 USD Resort Credit Coupon Book - and I did.
It read - "-$15 USD credit towards a 'SCUBA DIVING TRIP"
Other coupons were $50 credit for a three day rental car; $20 credit for a zipline; $5 credit for a Mexican food platter etc....
We would not use the zipline; would want a car for one day to go to other side and I can go on and on.
BOTTOM LINE - this is 100 percent misleading and I feel El Cid is far better than this fro the service I have received over the many years.
Patricia at the main office for El Cid is not that interested in assisting with this misleading clause...and I am on the phone canceling my entire reservation as I type.
Patricia may feel they have great success with the resort credit but not in this case.
DO NOT MISLEAD THE CUSTOMERS as we have a choice in where we spend our money on the island of Cozumel.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Fortson, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Booked through resortforaday.com day pass while on a cruise. It was fine overall. You can walk to it from the pier and get free drinks and food. The pool is average, but they have a swimup hottub to the bar. The beach is ok too with comfortable seats. The snorkeling is not that great. You are basiucally still at the pier so the ships are all right there by you. I think the other local beaches are the better deal if you want pool and beach for a day

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Andresmaillard, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Visitors,
Thank you very much for your review and for spent this day in our property.
We hope to serve you again in another opportunity and thank you again for your review and for choosing El Cid Resorts.
Sincerely
Andrés Maillard.
Belton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We joined The El Cid Vacation Club a number of years ago and have thoroughly enjoyed being members. I will receive no perks or rewards for giving a good to great review for them, so please do not think I am trying to sell you anything. (That said, should you choose to go there as part of a sales promo, you will still have a great time; they are quite gracious when guests decline to purchase plans and the tour is brief and takes only a short time from your visit.) Cozumel is known for diving and there is an onsite facility and area to snorkel, with boat tours/equipment available. The hotel is located right on the water, with a man-made beach, large pool and hot tub. The older part of the facility shows a little wear, but is immaculately kept. Every El Cid facility we have visited seems to have very high standards for the staff they hire; over the years, we have had the same servers. New hires are often family members of the original staff. At any rate, it is a warm and friendly atmosphere. The guided tours are good ones, as well. The guides are well-trained, the vans are comfortable, and the prices are relatively reasonable. Concierge sometimes offers special rates! Re. all-inclusive versus dining out, at this location you can do either because there are always taxis available to go exploring and there is food within walking distance. We enjoy breakfast on the water, so we have found that the all-inclusive plan is a better deal for us, ordering from their menu or enjoying freshly-made omelets from the bar. I could go on and on, but I think you should go visit this treasure! But, (I feel compelled to point this out) if you are expecting an Atlantis-type resort, you should consider one of the chains represented in Cozumel. PS: Try to rent a car and drive outside of the tourist area! The drive around the island is fantastic, no matter where you stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

On behalf of all the staff of Hotel El Cid La Ceiba Resort I wish to thank you for your great review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you had a nice vacation with us and enjoyed the service from our warmest and friendly staff.
Thank you also for posting your review on this site and for recommending us.
It will be a pleasure to serve you all again in a near future and thank you again for your preference.
Warmest Regards,
Breezy Point, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Roberto is the manager/concierge who I contacted prior to our arrival ro plan a small wedding at their property. We e,miled a few times then finished the rest of the plans once we arrived. It turned out just beautiful and was very reasonable. Roberto and the staff went above and beyond what we had expected. They were wonderful!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
On behalf of all the staff of H El cid la Ceiba Hotel I would like to thank you for your great review and for your preference spending this memorable occasion.
We are so happy that you had a nice vacation with us.
Thank you also for recognizing the hard work of Roberto and our staff, I will share this with them.
We hope to serve you in a near future again.

Cordially
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

First off just some info about me and my family so you gt where this reviews coming from. I'm 16, and my brothers are 14, and 12. I wouldn't ignore this review just cause of my age, because I have alot of tips at the end you should keep in mind when planning your vacation, even if you don't stay at El Cid! I realize the review is extremely long, so I summarized it at the bottom with the most helpful tips!
I have anut allegy, and my mom has a gluten allergy, and after the first night every chef, waiter, and the main host knew my name, and that me and my mom had allergies. Nut in spanish is "nuece" and it sounds like "New-ace".
My family and I went to Cozumel for Spring Break this year. We traded for RCI and we stayed at two hotels over break, El Ceiba on Cozumel, and Park Royal on the Cancun Hotel Strip. Although El Cid was a small resort, and Park Royal was HUGE, El Cid was a much better hotel hands down!!!
HOTEL
When we first drove up to El Cid my heart sank, because from the outside it looked like a dump. The driveway is all torn up, and the outside looks a bit old. But as soon as we stepped inside it was just beautiful. While we were waiting to check we were brought delicious complementary drinks (fruit punch, I would definately recommend trying!) Through the lobby we could see the pool, and then the ocean. It was just beautiful.
FOOD
This was definately the best part of El Cid, and personally my favorite part of the whole trip! My family got the all-inclusive bands, and I would definately recommend those, we totally got our moneys worth! Each day they have a breakfast, llunch, and dinner buffet, and each buffet is different every day. Each buffet there is a chef waiting to cook whatever you want, right there for you! You must, I repeat, YOU MUST get the flank steak! They had it during lunch and dinner, and it was better than any sirloin or filet mignon I've ever had! I also would definately recommend getting Strawberry daquiris (I don't drink alcohol so all mine were virgin.) They were SO good! Best I've ever had. We got them at the big resort we stayed at during the end of the week and there was NO COMPARISON. I also would recommend the cheesecake for dinner. It was amazing! But the best part about the buffets is that if you don't like anything on there, you can just order off the menu! And the menu's you can order at anytime of the day, so when my brothers and I got hungry while swimming, we would just go order a batch of nachos!
SNORKELING
So my family had the all-inclusive wrist bands so with those you get an hour of free snorkeling! (Remember this, because we weren't told this by the hotel, a nice couple informed us right before we almost payed for it.) Anyways, the snorkeling was just beautiful. There is a sunken airplane right off the beach!!!!! My family and I had a hard time finding it, but if you go in the water by using the steps that are like built out of stone right on the beach, the wreck was all the way out to where the ropes are, and a little to the left. You'll see the huge anchor; it's just beautiful. The dive shop is right next door to the hotel, that's how good the snorkeling is in that area! BUT KEEP THIS IS MIND! When you go snorkeling take some bread from the breakfast buffet, and I mean like 5 slices or so. And when you go snorkeling through little pieces in the water. It's just amazing! Hundreds of little fish come and they are literally jumping right out of the water to get the bread, and they're like rubbing your legs! After our family went snorkeling for an hour, we decided to book a snorkeling trip to do more. We went out with a professional guide, and paid a ton more, and it wasn't even close to being as good. HUGE WASTE OF MONEY. At El Cid you can pay $16 and rent the snorkeling equipment for the whole day!
SHOPPING
So we learned the hard way that it doesn't matter where you shop (we thought farther away from the main road would be cheaper) it actually just depends on when you go. During the day sometimes Cozumel has 10 or more cruise ships docked on the island, that's a ton of people going around and shopping! At night, right after all the cruise ships leave, is when the shopping gets cheapest because the venders know you may be their last customer! Our favorite locations to shop were this little market that was like a 5 minute walk max right out the front door of El Cid to the right. I bought a backpack there for $13 and it is actually really good, and they wanted $25 for it at the square. But the square definately had some good prices!! DON'T SPEND MORE THAN A DOLLAR ON KEY CHAINS OR MAGNETS OR OTHER LITTLE THINGS. It may take awhile to find, but there are some dollar stores that are huge and have all that stuff for a dollar! Other stores wanted at least 5! Also the store in front wanted $16 for there ponchos, and that was the best price I saw the whole trip.
RECOMMENDATIONS!!!! READ!!!
These are some things my family found, and you should keep in mind while planning your trip!
*Get the all-inclusive wrist bands, but not the $90 ones that are good for steak and stuff because they have amazing steaks for the buffets!
*Take small proportions when eating the buffet, because it is an outdoor restraunt and our food got cold when we took too long to eat it.
*Go shopping at night after all the cruise ships leave, it is so much cheaper!
*DON'T BOOK SNORKELING OR ANYTHING FROM THE HOTEL! They wanted $240 per person to go scuba diving for one tank. We ended up going for $65 per person, PLUS we went snorkeling at two reefs, and we were picked up and dropped off right at the hotel dock!
*Book all your activities on the little market to the left. We found a place that was before the market that was in an alley that you would easily walk past and miss if it weren't for all the salesman out front asking you to come look. they have everything, and even offered a fishing trip that was $200 cheaper than the one we had booked in advance, plus they guaranteed a fish!
*Go snorkeling right off the shore of El Cid. It's free for an hour with the bands, and it's better than the one we paid to do with a professional guide!
*Bring bread to fee to the fish when you go snorkeling, it literally attracts hundreds!
*FLY INTO COZUMEL. We flew into Cancun to save like $300, and it was so not worth it. We spent $200 just in the ferry to get across, and another $150 on taxis to get to and from Playa Del Carmen. For a few extra bucks, fly straight into Cozumel.
CONCLUSION
This was better than the huge resort we stayed at on the Cancun strip. The beaches were nothing like the ones on Cancun, but every worker was so friendly and helpful, it was just amazing. My family will definately be coming back ASAP!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest:
First at all I would to thank you for your fantastic review and for your preference
We are so glad that you and your family had a great vacation with us
We will share your comments with all our staff, as I always commented the reviews of this site are the best feedback for us.
Hoping to welcome you very soon.

Sincerely
Andrés Maillard

Been to El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!