“NICE place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
ferrisburg
“NICE place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

we really enjoyed our stay at la Ceiba. the staff is exceptionally friendly and always on hand. Front desk so helpful, too. The place is very very clean. The marble floors shine like glass and are constantly being cleaned! I appreciated the evening turn down service--I just felt pampered!
The outdoor massage tables on the beach were great and I loved my massages! There was a large varied menu at both lunch & dinner--we sampled many different kinds of salads, soups and entrees, and were very satisfied. I don't think the fish on the dinner menu was fresh...being right on the ocean, I expected better, but the shrimp & lobster dishes were excellent. The little pizza restaurant, right on the beach, has a blazing open fire, red & white check table cloths--very sweet!
For a fabulas fresh fish dinner, walk a few feet down the street to Paprika . Thursday has live music there, too.
Our favorite dinner at La Ceiba was an on the beach grill night, with romantic candle light, torches, fire leaping out of the huge grill, and plenty of fabulas choices like grilled lobster, shrimp, chicken or lamb kebob, steak grilled to order along with salad bar and a canoe (!) packed with deserts.
The snorkling right outside the hotel is as good as anywhere! We saw small barracuda, lobster, hundreds of little fish swimming all around us! When a guest sprinkles a little bread over the side of the restaurant, you become instantly surrounded by thousands of fish!
There were plenty of cruise ships docked on top of us it seemed, but we enjoyed watching all the activity. At night, the ships light up like diamonds and reflect beautifully on the water, adding to the restaurant atmosphere. The cruise ship people did not descend on La Ceiba during the day as some have reported on this site. Our 9 days were quiet & tranquil, with a large selection of empty beach chairs to choose from! No loud music--mostly gentle soothing beach & restaurant music was our experience. There was no time share presentation pressure whatsoever. As we arrived, we got one single gentle invitation which we declined, then were left alone. We are members of El Cid, so we have attended presentations in the past, and bought, so I'm not knocking them. It's just that people get turned off by the harrassment at some places, but it just isn't here at La Ceiba.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Andresmaillard, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

It´s a wonderful review , thank you so much for these kindly words about our services and you for pointing out our great location, services , pool, the variety and quality of our food.

I am so happy to read that you and your family had a wonderful vacation,.

our main desire is to keep improving to make El Cid Resort the best it can be, and provide the best experienced vacation to all of our guest. with your wonderful review we are sure that we are going into the right direction.

Thank you again and hoping to welcome back here at your home away of home very soon.

Andrés Maillard.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Shreveport, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Well maintained, clean, staff excellent, food excellent, spa was wonderful, clear blue ocean right outside window, great for snorkeling. Sales presentation was good and not pushy. Most understood my language (English). Do not expect food to be Tex-Mex like we eat at home but real native food was perfectly prepared. We like it hot. Down side bed was uncomfortable and you rolled to center and the pillows were like putting your head on a rock. You could request good pillow for $. Next time I will bring my own. Even a low cost hotel room has better bedding. We will return in the future and will have a better idea what to bring along.

Room Tip: Get a larger than studio which is just a hotel room in the states but ask to face ocean it is beauti...
Dear Guest,
Let me thank you for selecting our hotel to stay, I am glad to read that the service delivered by our staff, reached your expectations, as well as to know that you appreciated cleanliness in room, although I really regret the bedding , but we are on the way to update them.

We sincerely hope to have you with us in a near future to provide a better pleasant vacation.

Best regards,
Orlando, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

It was my first time at El Cid and I really enjoyed it! The view is beautiful, the hotel has its own snorkeling area with full of fish and a nice plane wreck, hot tub, pool, outdoor restaurant and bar, its own dive operator so you can dive or go on a snorkeling trip straight from the backyard...what else could you possibly want?! Well, I wish we were on an all-inclusive deal because food and drink was pretty pricey. But well worth every penny! :)
I highly recommend this place to stay at, romantic, but great for a group of friends who want to hang out together as well. It's only 5 mins away from the ferry, and everything is real close, you can just walk from the hotel if you like.
The only tiny problem we had was with our reservation, but the staff was extremely professional and friendly and they did the best they could to take care of us. I would go back again. :)

Room Tip: If it's more than 2 people wanting to stay in one room, don't get the 1 bedroom style with a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Andresmaillard, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Guest,
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel El Cid La Ceiba , I wish to thank you for your excellence comments about our resort.
We are so glad that you had a very good impression and a pleasant stay in our resort and that you enjoyed the attention of our hotel staff.
I will gladly share your wonderful review with our staff and we would be so happy to serve you again in a near future.
Thank you again for your excellence review.
Andrés Maillard.
Walla Walla, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We just got back from our third stay at this property, and everything was as always - GREAT!!!
The staff awesome and friendly as always...however the evening dinner staff was not as attentive as in the past.
They put together a pool-side buffet dinner one night that was delicious and well-presented.
SALES STAFF WAS EXTREMELY PUSHY and relentless in trying to get us to upgrade. We did NOT appreciate that one bit.
Snorkeling equipment should be available later than 5:00 PM - especially as the days grow longer.
All in all a wonderful stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Andresmaillard, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the staff of El Cid La Ceiba Hotel I want to thank you for your kind review and for your third stay with us.
We are so glad that you had again a happy vacation with us and enjoyed mostly of the aspects of our resort.
Thank you also for your kind comments and points mentioned we will put attention on these in order to improve and provide to our guest always a better service.

Waiting to welcome you again for your fourth vacation on this your home on the Caribbean.

Warmest regards,
Walla Walla, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

La Ceiba is pretty small compared to the other resorts on the island of Cozumel, but that is a good thing. It is not as crowded as the larger resorts, and everyone is so much friendlier, it's a great place to meet people. Not a whole lot of amenities, but their massages are great, their concierge is very helpful, internet and wifi, snorkeling and diving, and the staff is fantastic. Close enough to the city center to enjoy it easily, but away from the noise and commotion.
Beach bar-b-ques, poolside buffets, and the entire dining area overlooks the Caribbean; the menu is not huge, but what they serve is always good; the wait staff and bartenders are great.
If you really want to relax on a vacation - this is the place.

Room Tip: The studios are really okay for only 2 people, even though they say 4. But all the rooms are great...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Andresmaillard, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you very much for this wonderful review I wish to thank you for your fantastic comments and for your stay with us.

We are so glad that you spent a nice and relaxed stay in our resort.

Again thank you and We hope to serve you again in a near future.

Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The food in the resturant is great and their servers are very attentive. Where the hotel drops the ball is the fact that if you book a Deluxe-Elite ocean front room its not really "elite" at all. The room(not all) but ours was from the 80's. If we had a better room I would reccomend this place to friends and family.

Room Tip: Ask for the newer part!
Dear Guest,
On behalf of el Cid La Ceiba Hotel I want to thank you for the opportunity to host your vacation. We are so happy to know that you enjoy our food and the great service provided from our personnel.
Thanks for your comments they are really helpful to improvement in our service, and hoping to welcome you again.
Cordially
Headingley, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My mother and I are El Cid time-share owners. My husband and I visited this resort for 9 days (Jan 12-21st, 2012. We are scuba divers and have dove all over the world (Galapagos, South Africa, Fiji, just to name a few). We have nothing but good things to say about this resort and their committment to service excellence. We both highly recomend the dive shop- Luis is a very focused dive master that always looks out for your safety and well being- with all our experience Marc and I both learned new things from him. The Dive shop manager was also very personable and very flexible. Beautiful marine life-- two eagle rays checked us out and I came face to face with a sleeping nurse shark (thanks to Luis's keen eyes) with a misfortunate mis-hap-- I was about to have a perfect shot-- my camera's shutter came off! Oh well, we'll get some more pics next year!
In regards to check in Bibana, Maria and Rodger always tries to meet any of our needs. The bellmen are only so eager to help (although we like to carry our lugagge ourselves because there will be a time we cannot). Our maid was amazing at creating many animals and people out of our towels-- they were so good that we didn't want to use the towels to wash ourselves! Our favorite animal was an elephant with it's trunk upright (with a flower in it!). I'm able to talk and write in Spanish- and I wrote notes to her daily-- "Disfrutamous sus animales. Que animale va estar hoy?" She would always surprise us!
Marc and I used the all-inclusive program-- it's definitely worth it. We were happy one afternoon to order pizza from the small outdoor section from the restaurant- very good. Marc mentioned that the steak was excellent. Our last dinner here was the lobster- fantastic! The restaurant staff is only there to please guests and one only has to ask. My sister, mother and I visited here before that terrible hurricane and I was so happy to see Jorge, who is now one of the shift managers. My husband would have a few laughs with the other manager- Cristano! The other waiters have all been well trained and personable (Miguel, Alfredo, Juan, Fausto, Carlos to name a few- I can't remember everyone). If one was to get picky, there was one morning that the coffee was only warm (due to the machine)- Marc mentioned it and it was immediately retified.
My husband and I would highly recommend this resort and Cozumel in general to visit-- the people here welcome you with open arms. We're looking forward to seeing the everyone at the resort on our return in Jan 2014!

Mrs. Lorilee Glenat

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Andresmaillard, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
First at all I want to thank you for your preference and is an honor for us to read your comments about your remarkable stay at El Cid La Ceiba Hotel.
Our Resort as always takes pride in delivering the highly recognized hospitality standards, which leads to exceeding guest expectations .
I will be delighted in sharing your nice comments with the entire team. I can assure you that everyone mentioned on your review, will be really happy to hear that their excellent job and effort is recognized.
Welcome to El Cid Family, we truly and gladly look forward to welcoming you again with open arms very soon.