“Great Location, Great Service, Tepid Amenities” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Up to 55% Off
Ranked #15 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Seville, Spain
“Great Location, Great Service, Tepid Amenities”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

The El Cid resort/time share chain took over this hotel following Hurricaine Wilma. Unlike there other properties in Cancun, Mazatlan and Europe, this hotel has limited size and accommodations. The rooms, the concierge, the front desk, the maids, and the location are great! The senior Concierge David Jardin was especially helpful, he called me prior to my arrival, and set up numerous tours that left me free to just relax. Keep in mind his commission can be steep. My Mother booked the Nautilus submarine, and walked over for her 90 minute trip. The Concierge commission on that trip was almost $40. We booked the great tours with him for the Polaris ATV, as well as the Chichen Nitzen day trip. HE IS TOP RATE, and also gave us GREAT restaurant recommendations.

However, the small pool, small hot tub mediocre food, lack of a real bar, tiny gym, and tiny faux beach are problematic. The rooms are great! The one bedrooms suites boast stellar view, and large rooms with small hot tubs, and big bathrooms.

The lack of elevators in the time share/suite portion of the hotel is a limitation that in addition to the many stairs mean the hotel is generally unfriendly to the small children, and infirm senior citizens. This is good for quiet, but the lack of a real bar, and emphasis on diving make this hotel distinctly middle aged. Most/all of the guests during my stay were here for the reasonable all inclusive, or the time share. Also based on the lack of crowds, and empty dining room the Hotel's 11 story tower appeared to be only about half full.

There showers on the villa side of the hotel were great, but hot water did not flow from the sinks, and there were numerous complaints about cold showers in the tower.

Room Tip: Take advantage of the day passes to the Park Royal, and you can walk to Langosta Pier it is about 2k...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Andresmaillard, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Guest:

We are so pleased that you felt the hotel staff was especially helpful. As previously mentioned in other reviews Your constructive comments are very important to our continued success that we hear from our guests and your comments will assist us in our commitment to improve in all aspects of our operations and services. Year after year we update different areas of the hotel always searching our guests satisfaction we will consider some of your points to make this a better place for you and our next guests,

One more time thank you for your comments and hoping to welcome you again very soon.

Cordially Yours
Andrès Maillard.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We visited El Cid La Ceiba from Dec 2 to 8, 2012. Of our over 20 visits to Cozumel, this was our first visit in December. The weather was fantastic. Since Cozumel is a tropical climate you expect hot and humid weather. Not so for this visit. It was 75 in the daytime and 65 in the evening with very little humidity. We did not use the AC once and slept with the balcony door open, using only the screen door. It was great to have the fresh sea breeze and the sound of the waves -- very relaxing.
The grounds of the hotel were in fantastic shape -- the best we have ever seen. Kudos to the management. Our room was spotless and the maid service was its usual excellence, something we always can count on from the rooms manager, Esther Zapata. Checking in is always our favorite part of the trip as either Natalio or Arcadio takes charge of our luggage and and Babiana greets us like returning family. Then it is off to La Chopa to have some Dos X's and snacks looking out over the beautiful Caribbean. The very best part of a stay at La Ceiba is the feeling that you are returning home and the staff at La Chopa is the warmest and most professional you will encounter, especially if you are returning. This is the epitome of Mexican hospitality. The service and quality of food was outstanding and represents one of the best values on the Island.
Roberto ( food and beverage manager) Chrisanto (La Chopa manager), and Jorge (assistant La Chopa manager), run a great bar and restaurant. It is always a pleasure to see the wait staff and bartenders again. Alberto, Fausto, Luis, Eli, Armando, Benecio, MIguel, Vicky, Williams, Pedro, Willberth, Paulino (bar) Miguel (bar) Guadalupe (Bar) and Leo (beach bar) and the others are the heart of why we keep returning to La Ceiba.
It was a festive atmoshere and the other guests that we talked to: singles, couples, and famillies with small children, all were having a great time and were planning to return. We took advantage of the Cocay Spa massages and the romantic dinner for two on the pier and as usual got great value for our money. These are two treats well worth the extra costs.
We did not go downtown on this visit like we normally do, especially Sunday evenings at the Plaza Del Sol, but we discovered a mini downtown at the Puerto Maya Pier (This is where the Carnival ships dock). It is only a few blocks south from the La Ceiba and is open to the public, unlike the International Pier (Royal Caribbean ships) right next to the La Ceiba. There are great little shops, restauurants, bars, and activities similar to downtown -- and only a five minute walk from La Ceiba.
We had visited La Ceiba in April, 2012, and the new manager, Andres Maillard Coronel, had just arrived. This trip we were able to visit with Andres a little longer and told him what a great job he has done with the hotel. Rest assured that the La Ceiba is in very good hands.

Room Tip: The rooms in the tower provide spectacular views, but the rooms on the beach allow you to just walk...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Andresmaillard, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Family:
Thank you so much for let us be again part of your vacations and for this wonderful review, all the staff works very hard to make your stay an unforgettable vacations. We feel very proud of the bell boys, maids and waiters because they are one of the most important part of this hotel and they help us to give you an oustanding service.

Your words are our best motivation and help us to keep on going in the right direction and we hope that many more travelers will become our loyal guests after your great feedback.

Thank you again and hoping to welcome you again at this your home away from home.

Warmest Regards,
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

First, I used an ICE/RCI Certificate for my stay. I stayed Jan 11-Jan 18th, although I checked out on the 17th because I was meeting my family in Playa Del Carmen for another week at a diff. resort there.

Upon Arrival, I did not get my complimentary drink (neither did several others at the same time). However, I opted for the AI dinner plan. IF you get the AI plan, I suggest sticking with the basic. It's not worth the extra $30/day for lobster, since you get ONE lobster dinner for the entire week. $30x7 = $210. You can just pay the extra $24.00 for the lobster "upgrade" with your dinner and it's cheaper.

Bibbiana, the receptionist was pleasant and greeted me every day and knew my name!!!

I had requested a tower unit, but did not get one. I was in room 2315 instead. I don't know if this was due to availability or because I had an ICE/RCI certificate. I know this was just a request, so I am not complaining. However, the non-tower rooms are in a sorry state. I'd give the room a 2.5 out of 5. That's the only thing that kept me from giving this 5 stars. The room was clean, however, the rusty shower drain, torn screen on the balcony, and leaky fridge (they did fix the fridge) and super hard bed kept me from giving the room anything higher. Imet some people who were in the tower and they said the rooms were better. Perhaps El Cid should consider renovating/updating the non-tower rooms?

The view was fine. Yes, there are cruise ships there, but the honking of the horn only happened a few times and was done by 9:00 p.m. at the latest.
Napolitano (belboy) was great and didn't complain with my heavy suitcase.

Cristafino (?) in the restaurant was AWESOME. Every morning, he greeted me BY NAME and knew I liked a capuccino instead of coffee. The staff and service were truly excellent here!!!!

The food was good, although not 5-star. However, this s not a 5-star resort and that's not bad. Not everyone can afford $450/night.

I brought my own snorkeling gear and had a blast. EXCELLENT snorkeling right there.

I did get ill towards the end of my stay. I have no idea if it was food or virus. I only ate at the resort and at the Jean Laffitte Pirate show. I asked Bibbiana about a doctor and she gave me the address for CMC Clinic. Short cab ride, 10 minutes and I saw a doctor who put me on some antibiotics. Was better in 3 days. Again, I don't know what it was, nor am I blaming the resort. There is a lot of flu going around and the CMC didn't actually culture or anything, so the antibioitcs may not have actually fixed anything.

The Pronotours at the resort was a good value. For like $53.00 I got a 3 reef 4 hour snorkeling and it was the BEST.

I would probably stay here again, if in Cozumel. I would DEFINITELY stay again if I could get a tower room. Also the room had an older 25" TV with no HDMI hookup and only like 2-3 english channels, so I couldn't hookup my laptop.

The Wi-Fi signal was ok, but the speeds were horrible. However, I stayed at a $400/night resort in Playa with WiFi that was just as bad.

I would like to commend the staff for their excellent service. Cristifano(?) in the restaurant even got me special rice/chicken soup after my bout since the doctor said to eat a bland diet for a day or two. I tried to remember the names of the staff. Oh and the cleaning ladies were always good about cleaning the rooms.

Some suggestions for improvements:
Better Wi-Fi
Updated non-tower rooms
Softer beds.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
On behalf of everyone at El Cid La Ceiba, I would like to thank you for choosing us to stay.
On another note, I really regret not to have fulfilled your expectations; due to that our goal is to make our guests have a memorable stay. We always appreciate to our guests the fact of bringing to our attention any discomfort you may have at this your home, for that reason I thank you for expressing your experience on this website, this help us to improve.
We look forward for your return; we really wish to change your first impression so please feel free to contact me(amaillard@elcid.com.mx) and we can arrange your room for your next stay.
Receive our best wishes,
Cordially
Weeping Water, NE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We recently stayed a week at the El Cid la Ceiba hotel in Cozumel. We have stayed at a number of all inclusive in Cozumel over the last few years. This hotel was reasonably priced, the service was great, there was only one restaurant but the food was fresh and tasty. The only AI food we have had that was better was at the Palace. Our room was clean and we felt secure at all times. The bed was very firm, on par with most of the hotels we have used in Cozumel.

The beach was uncrowded even on days with day trippers from the cruise ships. Most days there were cruise ships parked out front we enjoyed watching them come and go. The beach service like the service in the restaurant was fantastic.

Snorkeling was good right in front of the resort, lots of fish. The only improvement I would suggest is eliminating the 90 minute limit on snorkel gear. I usually leave my fins at home to save luggage space, next time we come I will bring my own.

We will come back for sure.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Andresmaillard, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comments about your recent stay at our Resort. We apreciate your kind words about our premises and our staff services, your feedback help us very much to keep working and make our best in order to create great experiences to our guest that can be remembered for long time.
We are ready to welcome back you very soon at this “your home” in Cozumel.
Warmest regards,
OMAHA NE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at El Cid during mid-January...second time in ten months. Although they have a new general manager (Andres) since our last stay, we didn't notice any major changes. I would prefer that Andres have a bit more face-to-face with the guests as did his predecessor, Salvador (great for public relations and hearing first-hand the guests' concerns).

El Cid is an older property but the rooms have pretty much kept up with the times and are very clean. Any remarks about bugs are unfounded in our opinion. Nor did we note any broken glass around the beach area.

Do not expect any night life at this resort. The "older" crowd seems to flock to this hotel...although there are families with kids, my guess is the average age is in the mid-fifties.
Many are returning for their 5th, 6th and 7th time (and more). The clientele seems to be on the "higher end" but nowhere near snobby!

We did the AI and totally enjoyed it - the food is as good as any we've had at an AI. The breakfast buffet was fantastic; most other meals were a la carte from a substantial menu.

Service is the hallmark of this resort. Special thanks to Miguel the bartender (always be nice to the bartender!). It is nice to be remembered in the restaurant by the captain, Chrisanto. There is a great staff including Luis, Armando, Juan, Eliezer and hard, hard working Vicky.

Probably the weakest link is the front desk: aloof and indifferent! 'nuff said.

We would like to return in the fall.

OPT

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view. Rooms in the tower are newer - the higher the better.
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We just returned from El Cid last week. It was an excellent place to stay, it is located near the middle cruise port so you are far enough away from the southern port (busy tourist trap) and only a 3-5 min drive from the downtown area. The hotel staff was fantastic, Hotel Manager Bibiana and desk clerk Roger helped us out on our first night. Our room had a slight odor (to be expected it is a hot steamy island after all) and after a night out on the town I approached the desk and asked if they could help us locate a better room. Roger called Bibiana at around 10:30-11:00 PM and spoke with her, she told him to look for available rooms, by morning time we had a brand new room that smelled fresh and clean. They were very helpful and courteous. Our room had a queen size bed, working TV and a nice clean bathroom, the cleaning staff does a great job here. The hotel itself is always well maintained, clean and friendly. The beach area is amazing as well, waiters walk around all day offering you drink and food menus and are very quick to bring you your orders. The hotel offers an all inclusive package but we declined, the rooms have a hot plate and fridge so we made our own breakfast and lunch there, also we stocked our fridge with beer and bought a cheap cooler from the Mega for our daytime beach drinking. Downtown has great food options so i would encourage you to try to eat out as much as possible. All in all this was a great value, the staff was very friendly and responsive. If you are respectful and courteous in Cozumel you will be treated with the same respect and courtesy. Can't wait to come back to this amazing island next year.

Room Tip: People say the new tower was nicer but I couldn't tell a difference, just don't pay for a oc...
Dear Guest:
On behalf of El Cid La Ceiba Hotel, thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. It is through guest feedback that we assess the standard of our service and therefore improve and exceed guest expectations.

Thank you also for highlighting the service you received at the front desk, Housekeeping service, the restaurant staff and the public areas staff, I am glad that all of our staff was helpful and ready to welcome back you very soon for another marvelous vacation.

Kindest regards,
Spring, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Small hotel with reasonable rooms, good service, happy people. Cruise ships dock next door at the International Pier and when they are in the area is bustling, but you can't get into the shops, Senor Frog's (whose music and partying fill the air), etc without a Ship pass ID. Seems like a tease to have all the activity so close and you can't access it, but the passengers and ship crews utilize the El Cid facilities (pool, restaurant, spa, beach) with day passes. The service doesn't seem to suffer and we only had minor problems with pool side chairs and the heightened activity is a change of pace and its nice in the evening when it all slows down. We enjoyed going for an afternoon snorkel and then having a drink in the bar side hot tub as the cruisers headed back aboard ship. The maid service didn't have bottled water to replace the one bottle provided for a 7 night stay, nor did they have coffee. Maids did a nice job with cleaning, but one was a little ambitious and threw away several days worth of receipts that were neatly stacked on the table. We selected this hotel becasue they didn't require all inclusive, since we wanted to eat and party in town. Check your reservation to be sure you get the buffet breakfast and not just a very limited continental. The buffet is an additional $5, but the breakfast was good. We had a couple of other simple afternoon meals..grilled fish and guac and they were quite good. Being next door to the pier, convenience stores and shopping (outside the Int;l area) are everywhere, but close early when the ships leave. Car rental is available at the pier which was very convenient for the few days we rented an Avis car to tour the island. Again, the staff is very friendly, the rooms reasonable, location convenient, easy ride into town and once we understood and got a feel for the activity levels (from the cruise ships), we had an enjoyable stay.

Dear Guest.
We feel honored that you have chose El Cid La Ceiba to take a vacation.
It is most rewarding to learn that we met your expectation and provided you a very comfortable stay. I also want to thanks for your positive comments about all our services provided from all of our staff.
At our resort we have only one main concern which is guests’ satisfaction , and all, from general staff to the top managements we are all having the same objective.
We look forward to welcome and serve you again very soon on this your new home away of home in the Caribbean.
Cordially
Andrès Maillard

Been to El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!