“Second Stay As Good As The First” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Up to 55% Off
Ranked #15 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
OMAHA NE
“Second Stay As Good As The First”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at El Cid during mid-January...second time in ten months. Although they have a new general manager (Andres) since our last stay, we didn't notice any major changes. I would prefer that Andres have a bit more face-to-face with the guests as did his predecessor, Salvador (great for public relations and hearing first-hand the guests' concerns).

El Cid is an older property but the rooms have pretty much kept up with the times and are very clean. Any remarks about bugs are unfounded in our opinion. Nor did we note any broken glass around the beach area.

Do not expect any night life at this resort. The "older" crowd seems to flock to this hotel...although there are families with kids, my guess is the average age is in the mid-fifties.
Many are returning for their 5th, 6th and 7th time (and more). The clientele seems to be on the "higher end" but nowhere near snobby!

We did the AI and totally enjoyed it - the food is as good as any we've had at an AI. The breakfast buffet was fantastic; most other meals were a la carte from a substantial menu.

Service is the hallmark of this resort. Special thanks to Miguel the bartender (always be nice to the bartender!). It is nice to be remembered in the restaurant by the captain, Chrisanto. There is a great staff including Luis, Armando, Juan, Eliezer and hard, hard working Vicky.

Probably the weakest link is the front desk: aloof and indifferent! 'nuff said.

We would like to return in the fall.

OPT

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view. Rooms in the tower are newer - the higher the better.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We just returned from El Cid last week. It was an excellent place to stay, it is located near the middle cruise port so you are far enough away from the southern port (busy tourist trap) and only a 3-5 min drive from the downtown area. The hotel staff was fantastic, Hotel Manager Bibiana and desk clerk Roger helped us out on our first night. Our room had a slight odor (to be expected it is a hot steamy island after all) and after a night out on the town I approached the desk and asked if they could help us locate a better room. Roger called Bibiana at around 10:30-11:00 PM and spoke with her, she told him to look for available rooms, by morning time we had a brand new room that smelled fresh and clean. They were very helpful and courteous. Our room had a queen size bed, working TV and a nice clean bathroom, the cleaning staff does a great job here. The hotel itself is always well maintained, clean and friendly. The beach area is amazing as well, waiters walk around all day offering you drink and food menus and are very quick to bring you your orders. The hotel offers an all inclusive package but we declined, the rooms have a hot plate and fridge so we made our own breakfast and lunch there, also we stocked our fridge with beer and bought a cheap cooler from the Mega for our daytime beach drinking. Downtown has great food options so i would encourage you to try to eat out as much as possible. All in all this was a great value, the staff was very friendly and responsive. If you are respectful and courteous in Cozumel you will be treated with the same respect and courtesy. Can't wait to come back to this amazing island next year.

Room Tip: People say the new tower was nicer but I couldn't tell a difference, just don't pay for a oc...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Andresmaillard, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Guest:
On behalf of El Cid La Ceiba Hotel, thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. It is through guest feedback that we assess the standard of our service and therefore improve and exceed guest expectations.

Thank you also for highlighting the service you received at the front desk, Housekeeping service, the restaurant staff and the public areas staff, I am glad that all of our staff was helpful and ready to welcome back you very soon for another marvelous vacation.

Kindest regards,
Spring, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Small hotel with reasonable rooms, good service, happy people. Cruise ships dock next door at the International Pier and when they are in the area is bustling, but you can't get into the shops, Senor Frog's (whose music and partying fill the air), etc without a Ship pass ID. Seems like a tease to have all the activity so close and you can't access it, but the passengers and ship crews utilize the El Cid facilities (pool, restaurant, spa, beach) with day passes. The service doesn't seem to suffer and we only had minor problems with pool side chairs and the heightened activity is a change of pace and its nice in the evening when it all slows down. We enjoyed going for an afternoon snorkel and then having a drink in the bar side hot tub as the cruisers headed back aboard ship. The maid service didn't have bottled water to replace the one bottle provided for a 7 night stay, nor did they have coffee. Maids did a nice job with cleaning, but one was a little ambitious and threw away several days worth of receipts that were neatly stacked on the table. We selected this hotel becasue they didn't require all inclusive, since we wanted to eat and party in town. Check your reservation to be sure you get the buffet breakfast and not just a very limited continental. The buffet is an additional $5, but the breakfast was good. We had a couple of other simple afternoon meals..grilled fish and guac and they were quite good. Being next door to the pier, convenience stores and shopping (outside the Int;l area) are everywhere, but close early when the ships leave. Car rental is available at the pier which was very convenient for the few days we rented an Avis car to tour the island. Again, the staff is very friendly, the rooms reasonable, location convenient, easy ride into town and once we understood and got a feel for the activity levels (from the cruise ships), we had an enjoyable stay.

Dear Guest.
We feel honored that you have chose El Cid La Ceiba to take a vacation.
It is most rewarding to learn that we met your expectation and provided you a very comfortable stay. I also want to thanks for your positive comments about all our services provided from all of our staff.
At our resort we have only one main concern which is guests’ satisfaction , and all, from general staff to the top managements we are all having the same objective.
We look forward to welcome and serve you again very soon on this your new home away of home in the Caribbean.
Cordially
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We love this place being going here for 25 years has changed liked it better when it was a hotel not time share to many buffets . Have gotten away from authentic food . Still the same staff tho doorman has been ther 30 years always carries r luggage . He is a good man. The owl is the best waiter likes to have fun . And thats what its about for us having fun .

• Stayed January 2013
Morristown, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Upon arrival I was informed the king size bed wasnt available.. The hotel was half empty the entire time. I later realized they were waiting for me to upgrade the room for an additional charge... Right...
The matresses are covered with water proof covers, tossing and turning will make a squicky sound. There is no coffee maker in the room, the restaurant's coffee is chewable. the marble tub is the only nice feature because there is no ceiling in the bathroom, instead there are bunch of wood sticks put together to form the ceiling but you can still see the plumbing, made me feel there are bugs lurking over me. The continental breakfast is consists of a toast, coffee, juice and a small fruit bowl brought by the waiter , the access to buffet will be an additional cost of atleast $5 per person. Very small variety on the menu. Dive shop on premises Biabeca is more interested in renting snorekling gear to cruise ship people. This place is tired, overrated, the staff is obviously hurting maybe by lack of business but they are trying...this place is a huge waste of money...

Room Tip: Additional $150 and the coupon from the $600 hotel credit will get you an upgrade
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Andresmaillard, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for this review.
As previously mentioned in other reviews all comments good or bad it give us an opportunity to improve in all shapes and forms.

And I just want to mention that our breakfast buffet is one of the bests in the Island with more than 20 different options of meals, it is a shame that you didn’t try it worth every cent of those $5 dollars that you mention Thank you very much

Cordially

Andrés’ Maillard
Lincoln RI 02865
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Small hotel on the water ,it has a man made beach with plenty of shade if you want it.No fighting for chairs and papalas(PLENTY) No early risers to secure chairs and palapas, they had plenty. 2 small walk in areas for access to beach.Snorkling is very good right in front of resort.Water is calm there. Cruise ships are parked in front of the resort most days. That did not bother me , i really enjoyed watching them come and go. Maybe 3 days of the week the resort gets crowded with cruise passengers but does not affect your vacation because the service is outstanding. They come around constantly checking to see if you need anything and you can get breakfast to dinner on the beach or by the pool without getting up all day!! Service was SPECIAL!! They work hard!! 1 pool and beach server I don't know her name worked NON STOP everyday by the pool and beach. She was outstanding. I went all -inclusive with family and for me it was fine. Food was good not to die for but good. SERVICE in restaurants was GREAT. Christo +Jose (foremen I think because of their jackets and the other waiters jumped when they told them something?) and Paul were Fantastic! Faulso was good. Everybody else fine. 2 types of all inclusive (regular- and elite. $70and $90 US per day but if you don't want it thats okay. No surcharges on some meals ,lobster 1 day and high end liquor if thats your thing.Rooms were very clean and big. If cooking is in your plans very limited, small frig,2 burner stove top . Views from rooms great. Beware of the timeshare people!! Luis was ours. Told him from the start I was not interested but tried to make you feel bad that he supplied transportation to the hotel even though I did it myself free on line 1 way. From that point on he would not even talk to me any time I saw him all week. I needed to ask him a question about Elcid and when I can come back and said I don't know the rules of the timeshare HELLO that is what he does!!!! Everybody else at the resort was more than helpful. Really good location next to cruise ship port shopping and the Brand New ROYAL VILLAGE shopping center across street. Spa was GREAT!!and cheap. Gym was tiny. Sidewalks to walk on for your exercises each direction. Very quiet and relaxful family vacation. ENJOY!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking the time to write this review, our guest comments are a very important to us in helping us become a better hotel and provide quality services. I am glad you enjoyed your staying at our lovely hotel. Here at El Cid La Ceiba we strive to always give the best service we possibly can and I am glad to hear that our staff was able to provided that for you. also I apologize for the last points mentioned let me assure you that we are working on this in order to fixed.

hoping to see you very soon.

Warmest Regards,

Andres Maillard,
Makati, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

First I would have given the place 4 (*)s but I feel it fell short in a few places though I think when it opened and even 5 or 10 years ago it would have been a real nice place.

The first big problem is the view, instead of a fantastic view of the sunset you have a view of up to 4 cruise ships docked at the peer just down the beach. Now I can not blame this one on El Cid since they do not own and did not build this peer, however this is the main reason I would not pick them for a second visit.

The hotel is defiantly older, though it is mostly in good repair and the staff do a good job of keeping it maintained. I had a nice 1 bed room suite with a separate living room/ kitchenette (that I never used). The room was clean and the bed, while not sleeping on a cloud, was fairly comfortable and plenty big. The bathroom facilities were decent in the room, with a large tub and a stand up shower, though there were a few times when I had to wait 5-10 minutes for hot water. I had two nice balconies that looked out over the hotel's beach and unfortunately the cruise ships.

The hotel beach/ swimming area had lots of space to sit though I think the chairs were put a little too close together (I am guessing to accommodation the cruise ship crowds they sometimes get) and the hammocks they had were a little strange and seemed to be much tighter in the middle than on the edges so you sat kind of funny in them. Out at the outer edge of the swimming area near the middle of the back rope there is a plane wreck that you can see while snorkeling though it is a little to deep to visit without scuba gear (which the hotel has for rent at the dive shop, along with snorkel gear). The only major problem I had with the beach area is the sand covering was a little thin and there were a few places where you could feel the concrete or rock foundation under it when walking bare foot.

The hotel restaurant was basically uninspired and not worth visiting in my opinion (unless you are on all inclusive which I was not). You are better off renting a car or hiring a taxi and driving into town where there are many more choices. Or you could just walk there, it's about 1 to 1.5 hours walking distance out of town. On the note of all inclusive, I would not do the all inclusive rate as you are not going to want to eat at the hotel

I think their rate of up to 270/ night and more for some rooms is over priced for what they are and what they offer. I used my airline miles to book my room and I feel as I spent more than I should.

My other biggest problem with this place is they charge for internet, at around 270 a night internet should be free. Not that I used the internet at all on my trip, but being a predominantly business traveler I always scope out the internet availability.

Room Tip: I guess try to get a beach front room near the top of the newer tower section of the hotel, I think...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear guest,

We want to thank you for your comments and feedback. we have taken note of your recommendations and your opinions.

We are really sorry for not exceeding your expectations. We do believe each comment give us the opportunity to improve and will work on it.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience.

Sincerely yours

Andrès Maillard

Been to El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!