“Great hospitality, but a very tired atmosphere” 3 of 5 stars

El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Carr. a Chankanaab Km 4.5, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #15 of 57 hotels in Cozumel
Gilroy, California
“Great hospitality, but a very tired atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This property needs to be be scrubbed down and remodeled. The location is nice, if you don't mind looking at cruise ships docked outside your room everyday but Sunday. I will say that the staff is wonderful, the beds comfortable and the food was good. I maybe spoiled because I usually go to Hawaii and this was my first trip to Mexico, but I want to feel spoiled when I'm on vacation.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Andresmaillard, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear friend, I thank you a lot for taking the time to post this feedback and for your preference.
I am glad to read that our beloved staff attended your needs that is the service that characterizes us. I would like to thank you as well for your suggestions which are very appreciated;
Looking forward to welcome you back
Cordially
Andres Maillard

830 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The best thing about this resort is the staff. From the moment Babina checked us in, to the time she checked us out, we were treated special. From the cleaning crew to the wait staff they greet you with a smile. We also enjoyed meeting the other guests.

Most of our time was spent relaxing in the sun and snorkeling. While relaxing on the beach Eli, Vicky, Juan, Armando and the other waiters were attentive and fun to be around. We stayed at the resort five years ago and were happy to see Alberto and Wilberth still working at La Chopa. Part of the charm of La Ceiba is seeing the same smiling faces. The food is good and there is a nice variety to select from. The shrimp ceviche was our favorite!

The resort is not too bit. We had friends that also stayed for a week. The size of the resort made it easy to get together. When we checked in, our room was in the tower on the fourth floor. It was a nice one bedroom, but our view was limited. We were later moved to a one bedroom on the seventh floor, with an excellent view. Our friends were moved from the two story building to the room next to ours. The room was clean and comfortable. We used our kitchenette regularly. There was a sink, microwave, small refrigerator and two burners. Several days we enjoyed the all-inclusive option.

The snorkeling on-site is nice. This is one of the primary reasons for staying at this resort. There is also a dive shop on-site and life guard. There are a lot of fish, we saw a couple eels, a sting ray, a small barracuda and several large schools of fish. At the edge of the swim area there is a suncken plane to investigate. The beach is very small. We used the steps to enter the water. Watch out the steps can be slippery. Other on-site activites include bingo where you can win free drinks, a movie night, a fiesta buffet night and barbecue buffet. We went to the barbecue and the food was good.

There are two car rentals on the street out front. We rented a car and drove around the island one day. There are some beautiful beaches. We recommend you stop and enjoy the food and experience of Coconuts. They have cold cervezas and excellent tacos!

This was a nice and relaxing two weeks. We look forward to returing to the El Cid La Ceiba in the future.

Room Tip: The higher rooms provide better views of the water and cruise ships.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
It was our pleasure to have you back after 5 years and we are glad to read that you had another great and marvelous stay. El Cid La Ceiba Hotel is characterized for the personalized service that our staff delivers, for us it is a great pleasure to take an excellent care of each one of our guests .
Indeed we work very hard to deliver a great experience to our guests and are happy to read that yours was indeed great. We appreciate so many compliments in regards to our facilities and service, as well we will share your comment with our mentioned staff .
Hopefully next time you visit us before 5 years, we will be waiting for you with arms wide open to provide you again another enjoyable vacation.
Truly Yours,
Salem, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My companion and I spent a week here doing exactly what we had hoped to.....living on the beach enjoying the best Mojitos ever and (for me only) enjoying hand rolled Cuban Cohibas. We opted for a studio wish was adequate as we didn't spend much time in the room anyway. The staff are super courteous and friendly and on their "A" game. Restaurant and menu fairly limited but plenty good enough. Stepping out of our room and walking 20yds to the beach was great! We'll go back I'm sure!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
On behalf of everyone at El Cid la Ceiba , thank you for selecting our hotel to stay, we are so happy to read that you did and enjoyed everything you wanted , Regarding of the Restaurant Menu, we are working on more variety for this 2013.
All of us here will be waiting for your return to pamper you once again.
Cordially yours,
Cedar Park, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We have stayed at El Cid many times and always find the staff very friendly, rooms clean, and comfortable surroundings. The beach area is cleaned every day and lounge chairs arranged roe your use. While we do not use the attached dive shop they, too, are friendly and visit with us about where and what we see on our dives. This trip, however, we noticed their food from the restaurant was not up to par. We have had much better from their in the past. I had to return an omelet because it wasn't warm, nor the ingredients cooked inside. All around we have had better food their. We go into town to eat or have quick meals in our room, anyway. We will, of course, be back because we love the staff at El Cid and the location (minus the cruise ships).

Room Tip: We like the old low rise side of units. They are older, but very easy access to lobby and beach. All...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Andresmaillard, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear guest,
We appreciate your comment regarding your recent visit in El Cid La Ceiba Hotel.
The experience you have shared concerns us deeply, as we are committed to provide always the best services to our guests.
El Cid strives to adhere to a high standard of quality and services throughout all the properties. Your words are beneficial and will serve to aid us in our efforts to continue improving our services.
Waiting to welcome you again here in your Home away from home.

Warmest Regards
Andrès Maillard,
Western Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This beach hotel is a small property. It is clean and the staff are very friendly. The only real drawback to this hotel is the "all-inclusive" plan(s). They have 2 plans..one is the standard plan which does NOT include any shrimp/lobster or quality steak and they have the elite plan which does. The drink menu is also different. We elected to go with the standard plan. After a few days, we got really sick of the menu. There were so few choices on the standard plan. You could pay a fee to order off the elite menu but it was quite expensive. The food was ok but really not worth the $70 a day per person for the standard plan versus $90 a day for the elite. It would be a much better deal to just pay $80 a day and not have 2 different menus! Also, we were NOT told by the bar staff when we ordered drinks that were not on the standard plan. We wound up with $200 at the end of the trip that we were not expecting because of this.

The dive shop on-site is EXCELLENT. Juan-Carlos is a GEM!!

Would we go back to this resort...NO. Considering we can stay across the street at the Park Royal for less money and more choices. We WILL got back to the dive shop though.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Andresmaillard, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Guest.

We would like to thank you for taking your time and post your comments on TripAdvisor; believe me your feedback is really appreciated.

I will share your comments with juan carlos and Once again, thank you for sharing your experience. We are working to updating our Menus in order to have more variety We hope to see you again in a near future.

Sincerely yours
Andrès Maillard,
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We purchased a timeshare week at El Cid during a charity silent auction in June. We spent October 6th - 13th in Cozumel celebrating. (We were married the Friday before we left) From the moment we walked into the lobby to the last day of our vacation, the staff at El Cid was nothing but delightful.

Gabby at the front desk was very kind and accommodating. Eli and Williams were outstanding waiters. And of course, Miguel was the friendliest and most pleasant bartender we could have asked for. We spent our days lounging by the pool and snorkeling in the ocean. Not to forget the jacuzzi. There was always a staff member around when you needed a drink or a meal. And everyone at El Cid was friendly, always saying good morning or hello as you walked past them.

There were only a few families staying at the hotel, it was not very crowded. We were told it was the time of year, October being a slow month. We didn't mind, that just made it more relaxing for us. A few days there seemed to be staff from some of the cruise lines lounging around the pool. I think they would buy a day pass until the evening when they had to get back to the ship.

For three days we purchased the all inclusive package and stayed around the resort. The food was delicious (Mexican is our favorite) and the guacamole was the best I've ever had.

We rented scooters one day with a deal that David gave us for sitting through the 90 minute presentation. We traveled to a few beaches before we stopped at Rasta's for most of the day. This was a Bob Marley bar that had beautiful beaches and friendly staff. We had the best time here.

I would 100% recommend this resort. We had a fabulous time and hope to go back in the future.

Rachel

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
thanks so much for this wonderful review. I am thrilled to know that you had an amazing vacation with us. Definitely, there is no better place to stay than El Cid La Ceiba hotel to feel pampered and treated as a you deserve. our staff is excellent doing that so I feel very proud to read your encouraging words in reference to personnel mentioned, again thank you for this.

We look forward for your return to provide you other amazing vacations!!!

Warmest Regards,
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

First of all, I want to say that I am a memeber of El Cid Vacation Club. We went in low season.
This was our first time to the Cozumel location. We arrived around 7:00 pm on a Saturday oct 13/12. Well there was nobody there to unload our baggage from the taxi. There was no doorman, or Bellhop. We dragged our luggage to the front desk, and at that time there was help, as they were talking and just not really interested until we were ready to go to our room. The resort was not busy, and it took them over an hour for them to brin up our luggage. So we went for dinner. I had a pasta dish, that was tiny and had to order another item to fill the gap. The pasta tasted like paste. The margarita was great. WE were going to do the all-inclusive, but deciced not too. Over all, we came out alot cheaper, than doing the all-inclusive. (Your choice). Needless to say, for the week there, the best meal I had was a Clubhouse sandwich, even the fry's were cold. The bar service, well you have to go and find someone to give a drink order too. Just not overly ambishous. One night there was an outside BBQ on the beachside of the restaraunt. I decided to have a New York ($36.00 US). It was still a buffett, whcih is cool by me. I went and got soe soup, and sat down and the waiter brought my moms chicken and my steak to the table. I stated that I have not even started my soup, or even had salad yet, take it back. I had to argue with the waiter for a few moments before it was done. So finally when it was time for the steak, I ordered it medium, it came back FROZEN still. Now I do know steaks as I was a cook in a steak house for 10 years. I sent it back again. When it came back now the 3rd time, it was pressed and dried, and like leather! They just did not care enough to even try to make it the way it should. other meals were similar. Breakfast buffett, the omelete station was average, they had flys and stuff flying around all the breads and items like that. There were some fruits, some and very little cold cuts, and some mexican foods, to which did not look appetisting at all.
We decided to go out at night for dinner at some of the local places. Here is what we found. 1) Margarittaville. We had great Hambergers there. 2) Hardrock Cafe. Once again I had a burger, it was know as the lengendary burger, 10 oz, and it was great!!!! 3) La Choza. Here is a great restaraunt just off the main road. The food was simple great, and reasonable. NOW here it the gem, 4) Casa Mission. We asked the cab driver, were was there a good restaraunt, that we have not been too. He suggest Casa mission. As hee was driving, he kept going inland, and about a $13.00 US cab ride. We saw this sign on this large cement wall, saying Casa Mission. As we drove around the block this wall continued until the end of the block, we went around the corner, and once again it continued, until we went around the corner again and pulled up to the main enterance. We were wondering what we got ourselves into. Well much to my serprise, it was stunning inside the walls. A long pathway the was lit up, You could see a large house in the background. This we later found out is the owners house. The restaraunt is on the outside of the house the whole veranda. As I looked around the place was stunning. The tables were decorated with white linen, beautiful colored plated, red chairs, the outside trees and lit pathways was charming. This was either a romantic or made for groups of people. As we were seated, I noticed a parrot in a cage in the corner. NOW I am a big bird lover. I went over to the cage and had a chat with the bird, the Amazon was beautiful. As I sat down the waiter informed me that there were avairy's on the property. Now being dark, most of the birds were in bed. But I did take a quick look at one of the 10 foot structures. I would say it was sectioned off, but there were a least 6 or 8 Amazons in this structure. Well to say the least, I was in love with this place, to bad we were leaving tomorrow, wI would have We hd hometo visit the place again. We looked at th menu, I was floored at the pricing! Get this, 10 oz Filet for $13.00 US. This included soup, bread, a large baked potatoe, and vegs. IT was amazing. Best deal on the island! We had homemade Coconut icream for dessert. If you get a chance to go here, I recomend that you do.
Now we also went to El Cid in Purto Morales for the second week. It was 10 times better than the one on Cozumel. If I have a choice the only reason I would go back to the Cozumel one would be for the snorkling. I was probally in the water 2 hours a day, just in front of the hotel. There is a part of a sunken plane, and lots of other things that new coral is developing. Like cement from hurricane William. If you are a diver or snorkler, this is the best place in the world they say. I would agree.
We also did an island tour which was interesting, but very rushed at all the stops. We took a glass bottom boat and snorkling tour that was so very slow getting to anywhere. Then there was only likke 10 - 20 minutes in each spot we stopped for snorkling. As we got back into the boat, maybe 5 mins between stops, and in again. The traveling time of this 4 hour tour was 2.5 hrs or more.
Now I know this whole review sounds negative, but in general, the stay was good because of the great weather, and the other things we did. Hotel was not worth it, but everything else around it was very good.
Brian Baziuk

Room Tip: Great Ocean views, Spaceous rooms, Beds are hard, Clean, Service was terrible, but a lot of great th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
We appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience of your stay at the EL Cid La Ceiba Hotel.
We are taking note about your comments in order to improve our services.
We want to do a big effort for the inconvenience we have caused, for this we hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again and change your perspective of your last experience at our resort.
Cordially
Andrès Maillard

Been to El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!