“Response to Previous Reviews” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Carr. a Chankanaab Km 4.5, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #14 of 58 hotels in Cozumel
OMAHA NE
“Response to Previous Reviews”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

I will soon post a review of our six night stay at La Ceiba. First, however, I would like to respond to two reviews below posted on March 26 and March 29, 2012:

Both sound like novice travelers who had no clue what to expect. A little research and due diligence on Tripadvisor would have prepared them for their stay.

Of course you don't stop and listen to the pitch in the "shark tank"...Mexico 101.

Very humid...on an island in the Caribbean? Surrounded by water? Nah - couldn't be!

The East and South beaches are polluted by garbage washed up from Haiti and South America? That's a new one on me...those beaches looked pretty pristine to both of us.
At least you're not blaming the Cubans, Jamaicans, Cayman Islanders and Dominican Republicans.

Cruise ships...my first bit of research revealed that La Ceiba was right next to the International and Puerto Maya Piers. I kind of enjoyed seeing them. A few times they did block the sunset but were usually on their way by 5 or 6 pm...plenty of time for sunset viewing.

And, yes, the cruise passengers can purchase a day pass to the resort (to rest up from the rigors of cruising) but we enjoyed their conversation and tales of their travels...made for an interesting day.

The hotel beach (as is most of the West side) is rocky. The sand has been trucked in and placed behind a seawall...this is where you'll find the beach chairs and palapas. It has been mentioned to death in previous reviews.

Since we were all-inclusive we ate at the hotel restaurant everynight. Never did we experience a wait for our food longer than any other restaurant we've been to. Actually, we had time to enjoy the yummy drinks that contained an ample amount of alcohol.

There is no carpeting in the rooms because they would soak up the humidity and walking on them would be like walking on a sponge; and they would be difficult to keep clean.
I wonder where all that sand and dirt that stuck to your feet came from? My mom taught me to wipe my feet before going inside.

Hard beds are a fact of life at Mexican resorts...we all learn to live with them.

In conclusion, know beforehand what to expect. Keep an open mind and an open wallet.

OPT

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

877 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

We spent a week at El Cid in March of 2012. We went with friends that had a 2 bedroom timeshare. They traded their week for this vacation. We had the studio side of the lockout. The room is fairly large and includes a pull down wall bed besides the normal queen sized bed. There is a refrigerator and microwave and even a hotplate. There was a nice balcony overlooking the grounds with a great view of the ocean. The bathroom was the weak point of the room. It has a low ceiling with and the door was poorly placed. The bathtub/shower was standard and there was great water pressure. Sometimes it took a few minutes for the water to get hot. There is no exhaust fan in the room just a small window that pulls inward. It vents out by the entry door. I wasn't crazy about this setup. The bed was very comfortable and the staff kept the room immaculate. They also did some nice things with the towels, making creatures and adding flowers for effect. We enjoyed their creativity. They would also turn down the bed in the evening and put chocolates on the nightstand. We utilized the jacuzzi several times. It was a good place to meet other vacationers and relax by the ocean. We did eat in the restaurant a couple of times and enjoyed the fare. It may have been slightly higher priced but the proximity was worth the cost. The concierge took very good care of us and was very knowledgeable. The grounds are very well maintained and interesting. They have their own beach and a dive shop on the premises. The parking lot was small but we always had a place to park. We enjoyed our stay at El Cid La Ceiba and found it to be well appointed and full featured.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Salavatore, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Dear guests:
We would like to thank you for taking your time and post your comments on TripAdvisor; believe me your feedback is really appreciated.

I'm glad you enjoyed your staying ; we have taken notes to pleasant your recommendations.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience. We hope to see you again in a near future.
Hasta pronto Amigos
Waldorf, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Our group consisted of two couples one of whom is a timeshare owner. El Cid was offered through their timeshare. Overall, the resort was ok but if anybody is looking for a true beach, this isn't it. Plus, when the cruise ships come in, forget about enjoying the pool/hot tub unless you don't mind sharing it with a bunch of kids.

We were very disappointed with the service we received in the restaurant. One particular evening, it was not crowded and we waited for over an hour and a half for our food. After watching others come in after us get served, we left. When my husband complained, they did bring our food to our room with a "complimentary" bottle of wine (that we couldn't drink). However, they didn't even comp our food.

The bright spot was our server Vicky who was so courteous and an EXTREMELY hard worker while we sat on the "beach". Our family makes it a practice to tip good service so we were only too happy to be generous with Vicky. I rated service higher b/c of Vicky...otherwise, I would give a poor rating. Plus, housekeeping did a very fine job.

Word of warning: anybody flying into Cozumel - beware of the timeshare hawkers! Don't get duped as we were. They got us as soon as we got through customs at the airport. If someone promises you a "good deal" on a rental car or other amenities - WATCH OUT!

We will not be going back to Cozumel.

Dear Guest:
I want to personally apologize for the service you received from our Restaurant. As with every area of our resort, we do care about your vacation experience and the impression every guest has of El Cid. I will look into the matter immediately. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to improve.

Kind Regards
Salvador Sanchez
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Just spent spring break in Cozumel. It was beautiful, very humid, very clean and safe. I definitely will return. But not to El Cid. It was just nothing special.

Upon check-in, we were told that after our first night we would have to change rooms, with no explanation and no apology. Our first room was on the 10th floor, up a tiny elevator, and it was fine; it was actually a bed-bath combo attached to a suite with a kitchen.

I was not expecting all the cruise ships! Wow. Those things are behemoths. They dock right in front of the hotel, and some passengers get a day pass to eat and play at El Cid. The last hour of sun is completely blocked by those floating cities. I did not like sharing the limited space with them.

The hotel's beach area is very small. I didn't realize that the west side of Cozumel, where all the hotels are, is rocky and not a traditional beach - for that you must go to the east side. But there was an area for snorkeling that we explored, and the equipment rental is easy and close.

The first mixed drink I ordered had no alcohol in it. None. And I had to go to the bar and wait for someone to notice me, because the waiters don't come by regularly. When I told them my drink was a virgin, a man returned later with a cup containing 4 shots of rum. For a margarita. Hmmmm, you'd think that making a good drink would be in their best interest. I was also not the first guest to receive a drink sans alcohol - another lady was complaining about her pina colada.

After the first night, we were moved to the third floor. Apparently our first room was a model for the timeshare people and it can't be occupied. Lame.

The beds were horrible. Soo uncomfortable! Very hard, with no mattress pad!! Ugh.The rooms have no carpeting, which I understand, but it became impossible to walk barefooted in the room, since sand and dirt stuck to my feet, so I had to use beach towels as area rugs.

The coffee is extremely weak. The breakfast buffet was actually pretty good, as was the dinner buffet on the beach. The wait staff is polite, but not very cheerful. Sometimes it took awhile to be noticed. The busboy was excellent.

Our water stopped working the morning we checked out. As in, the toilet reservoir drained, and nothing came out of the faucet. I took it as a sign to get out of there.

Location-wise, it's pretty close to everything - a 5 minute taxi ride takes you into town or to the ferry. But it's definitely not a 5 star hotel.

We were roped into a timeshare thing right off the plane (ignore the guys at the airport!), and took the ferry to the mainland, Playa del Carmen, where we toured the Occidental resort. Wow, was that place incredible!! It was huge, with several private beaches and gorgeous rooms. We switched our Hilton timeshare to those guys.

Tips on visiting Cozumel: don't rent the scooters, too many tourists are killed on them. If you want a real beach with crashing waves and all that, take a day trip to the east side of the island - it's not far- or just stay in Playa. However, the beaches on the east and south side of Cozumel are very polluted, not because of the Mexicans, but because trash is washed over from Haiti and South America. The locals try to keep it picked up but it's never-ending.

I loved all the people I met, they're very friendly. The humidity was a real challenge, so ladies, be prepared to pull your hair back every day. Love the Caribbean, I will go back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review. Your comments help us improve on areas we may not realize we were missing. We hope you will choose our hotel for your next vacation, and give us an opportunity to show you improvements. Saludos, Salvador Sanchez.
Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

I just returned from a week in Cozumel and enjoyed my stay at El Cid. They made a bad first impression because of the misleading "$600 room credit," which turned out to be a fairly worthless coupon book. When we arrived, I asked about the cost to upgrade to a suite. The clerk initially told me that it would cost $130 more per night to upgrade, but when I declined, she offered the upgrade for $30 per night. We took the suite and enjoyed the extra space. The hotel is older and fairly basic, but it looks like they take pretty good care of it. They have parking, but the lot is small and apparently shared with someone else, so finding a parking spot was a problem at times.

The staff was friendly and helpful, and the service was excellent. The room was always clean, and the staff did an excellent job of finding small windows of time to get in, clean, and get out. My teen son spent a lot of time in the room on his computer, so it couldn't have been easy for them to do that. One night, the door to our room safe got stuck and would not open. I told the lady at the front desk, she made a call, and the maintenance man got to my room almost as fast as I did. He fixed the door quickly and was gone.

The only time we ate at the hotel restaurant was for breakfast. They did a good job with that. The free continental breakfast was a fruit plate, juice, coffee, and bread, and it was better than most continental breakfasts I have had in the States. To upgrade to the buffet was only $5 per person, and the buffet was well worth it. The omelets were good, they had a nice assortment of fruits, juices, and other items and even had a lady making fresh corn tortillas (they were great).

The location is good for divers (about a mile from the marina), and
I was surprised at how quiet and deserted the place gets in the evening after the cruise ships leave. I basically had the beach and pier to myself most nights.

El Cid is fairly basic, but it offers good value and excellent, friendly service at a good location. I will probably try something in town the next time I make it to the island, but I would definitely stay at El Cid again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the suites by the beach and enjoyed it. It was nice to step out of the sliding glass d...
Dear Valuable Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about your staying at our Resort. We feel very excited to know that you are planing to come back soon as well as we feel very honored for your kind words about our daily work. I look forward to see you again soon.
Kind regards,.
Salvador Sanchez
Athens, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

My wife and I decided over a year ago to do a destination wedding to Cozumel. We cruised with 61 of our guests. We left out of Miami and sailed on the Celebrity Millennium to Cozumel. After researching and corresponding thru email for about 7 months we made a decision to choose El Cid La Ceiba in Cozumel. The resort is just beautiful and the amenities are well worth it. The location is right on the ocean and great views, amazing sunsets, FOOD that’s is to die for, and a service that is just top notch.

The main reason we choose El cid, was the level of service we received from someone we only talked to via email was amazing. Anytime we had a concern, he presented solution, and moved forward. That person is Roberto Barrionos, the food and beverage manager for El id La Ceiba. Roberto was a god send and such a pleasure to work with. Hearing many horror stories about destination weddings, I wasn’t sure what to expect. From the moment we arrived on our wedding day we were greeted with hugs and knew we were in good hands. You could tell Saturday was very busy at the resort and beside Roberto's primary role he also handled all of the coordination or the ceremony and reception It was clear that this wasn't Roberto and his staff’s first wedding and that they knew exactly what had to happen to make sure we had the perfect day. Another reason we choose El Cid was the closeness to the port. You basically walk thru port exit and at the end to left is El Cid. This made it very easy and no need to shuttle guest from boat till location. Most could walk. The resort is well maintained, well kept, and in great shape and just beautiful. We held the wedding around the wade pool in the sand. It was later in afternoon. I hope our pictures represent how beautiful everything’s was. Roberto and the whole staff exceeded our expectations and this day was PERFECT and the Roberto and staff delivered big time.

All of guests were amazed by how well in charge Roberto was and how he made us feel so special and really was very attentive to our guest needs. My guest continued to tell me how Roberto and his staff went above and beyond to make this day so special for us as well as them. The little things like, when we arrived the hotel was way over booked but Roberto and the staff worked some magic to make sure the bride had a room to dress. Roberto provided guests discounts for food and drink, free snorkel, he handed towels out to guests that needed them. He had wrist bands so the wedding group would be identified. When my guests wanted Blue margaritas, this was something we didn’t discuss and the bar staff weren’t prepared for it. The bartender took off in a sprint to get a bottle of blue curraso. Talk about service. The answer in that states would have been sorry out of luck. One of Roberto’s staff Jorge, he was a server I believe,( we were speaking on dock when finishing pictures) was speaking to our brides maid and informed her how long they have know about this wedding(7 months) and how excited they were for us, but also excited to host such an event. I was amazed how happy the staff was and just as excited for us as our own family. One thing everyone was raving about, THE FOOD. OMG, I had to hear about it so much. I was so upset I didn’t even get to eat at my own reception. The food was all fresh and all homemade Mexican food. My guests didn’t want the cruise ship food they really wished they could have one more meal from El Cid. My wife and I will defiantly vacation here on our anniversary and this time pig out.

Roberto and general Manager Salvatore If you have any clients considering El cid and they need a reference send them our way. That would be the least I could do because you, and the whole staff were so amazing I am truly having a hard time expressing in words how well you guys did and we couldnt have asked for more. Every one of our Guest keeps raving about the day and how they had a great time and how beautiful the wedding was. Please share this review with others in your in your organization and we look forward to seeing you and the staff soon.

Heather and Chris

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Salavatore, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Dear señores, I’m just going to say: thank you very much for your kind words, what an spectacular wedding you had, we`re very honored to have guests like you, we will give you a better service when you come back, we will make sure you have a unforgettable anniversary in case that you come back, I will make sure our staff knows about your words, enjoy life and we see you soon.

salvador sanchez

general manger
Hastings,Mn.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

We really enjoyed our week at El Cid in Cozumel. With the hustle and bustle of the Cruise ships in attendence during the day and the peaceful evenings with the wonderful wait service in the restaurant in the evenings we had a great time. It's a great place to snorkel , share stories with people off the ships, walk along the ocean,make day trips from. The cruise ships leave before sunset and after enjoying the sunsets you can enjoy romantic dinners right on the beach.The BBq night is especially romantic along with the music provided. It doesn't get better! I suggest you give El Cid a try, we love it and will return there time and time again!
Tom and Afi,

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the upper floors of the tower.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear señores, Thank you very much for your words and we will be waiting for you, have a great day and we wait you enjoy again this beautiful island soon.

salvador sanchez
general manager

Been to El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!