September in Cozumel is the off season and many do not take advantage of the charms that it offers. To be sure, one will encounter a good bit of maintenance and many of your favorite staff members will be on vacation, but there is a laid back charm that is a bit different than during the busier times ("busy" in Cozumel is still relaxing and laid back). Our visit in September 2011 was very different than our September 2010 visit in which we participated in many of the 200 year Mexican Independence Day (Bicentenario) festivities. 2011 was much more of a typical September in this little gem of a resort. We found that there are 5 great things that many overlook on a visit to La Ceiba in September or busier seasons:
1. A Sunday night visit to Plaza Del Sol in downtown San Miguel. There is always a great band giving a free concert and a very festive atmosphere with the local people and their children. It is a tradition for the local folks to come to the Plaza Del Sol after church on Sunday evenings and partake in the festivities. This is a great event for families and allows you to mix with the people of Cozumel. Even though our Spanish is limited, we never fail to have a great conversation with local residents about the island and its history and culture.
2. Romantic dinner for two on the pier at La Ceiba. This is a very reasonably priced luxury and features a great meal and service.The executive chef for the La Chopa restaurant of La Ceiba is excellent and we had the honor of meeting him in September.
3. A massage at the Cocay Spa of La Ceiba. After 45 minutes of massage you will feel like you have no worries in the world. The price is very reasonable and well worth it.
4. A bowl of pumpkin flower soup at La Chopa. Do not pass up the opportunity to sample this culinary work of art. We have sampled pumpkin flower soup in many US and Mexican restaurants and have found the best is served at La Chopa.
5. A visit to the sales office at La Ceiba. We recommend this especially for first time visitors to La Ceiba. We always meet some first time visitors who have been hijacked at the airport or on the street into attending a "45 minute presentation" at some other resort, only to waste 3 hours fending off some high pressure salesman. La Ceiba does not operate that way. See Dee Landreth or one of her staff in sales and you will receive a very professional presentation on the advantages of joining the El Cid Vacation Club (ECVD) family and you can make some informed choices for the present or the future. Some of the very best advice we have received on our over 20 visits to Cozumel has come from members of the El Cid sales staff (e.g. great restaurants, activities, places of interest, ground transportation, history of the Cozumel, places to avoid, etc.
September may not be for everyone, but there is never a bad time to visit Cozumel and El Cid La Ceiba.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Cid La Ceiba Beach resort is an oceanfront paradise perfectly in tune with Cozumel's easygoing island rhythms. Explore the island's enchanting beaches, lush mangrove forests and brilliantly colored reefs with amazing sea life. Whether you are in search of a romantic getaway or a tropical setting to reconnect with family and friends, our intimate and friendly resort offers the ideal setting for snorkeling, diving or simply lazing by the pool. Your vacation is sure to be relaxing and authentic experience at El Cid La Ceiba. • Babieca Dive Shop on site with PADI certified dive masters. • Spectacular diving, snorkeling and unmatched ocean views. • European and All-Inclusive Plans • Fly High Adventures, eco-park featuring 6 zip line platforms and six rugged trails • Two swimming pools: a free-form pool with kids' area and a tide pool with cascading waterfalls, rock formations, and lush gardens • Ocean View and Ocean Front Accommodations. • All Inclusive and European Meal Plans • International cuisine in our Oceanfront Restaurants • Nearby shopping at Plaza & downtown area. • Three miles from Chakanaab Park • Only Six miles from Cozumel International Airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and TripOnline SA so you can book your El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Cid Cozumel
- El Cid La Ceiba Cozumel