Mexico Silvestre Cozumel Wilderness Outfitter - Day Tours
Rafael Melgar 23, Cozumel 77600, Mexico
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover Cozumel’s wilderness in this unique expedition through naturally protected coastal and inner lagoons. Bird watching, incredible scenery and wildlife are the main focus of these canoe trips. Traveling by canoe you can reach places which are otherwise not an option. Mexico Silvestre is the only outfitter to offer this service. Each expedition is tailored to your interest, group size and time frame. Nature photography workshops are offered, either with your own camera or trying out one of our professional systems. Half day, full day, overnight and multi-day options available.
massachusetts
6 attraction reviews
“Fabulous!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

An amazing experience in Cozumel! Top class tour! An amazing day in paradise!! Thank you!

Visited March 2012

New York City, New York
“A Wonderful Double Surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

A friend of mine organized this tour for our group. When I arrived at the meeting point on the other side of the island I couldn’t believe my eyes. The leader of the expedition was Robert whom I had met many years ago as a rafting guide for Rio y Montaña in Veracruz. That's when I knew we were in good hands. Back then he turned the thrilling white water ride into an unforgettable nature experience.

Our expedition was an overnight adventure. We left with our canoes filled with camping gear and ice chests. We paddled through tranquil lagoons connecting one to another through mangrove mazes. We saw large groups of coots and a couple of crocs on the way. We arrived at the furthest point of the lagoons and pulled out the canoes in what Robert described to us as a crocodile “haul out”. He pointed out all the tracks that seemed very fresh. We then proceeded to unload all the equipment. I wasn’t all that comfortable when the fact that we were going to camp near these fresh crocodile tracks clicked in. However, Robert has this way of making you feel safe and comfortable in the wilderness. So we all helped set up camp. As we all fixed up our tents dinner was prepared. First I thought he was joking when he offered rum and cokes or gin tonics for cocktails before dinner. Wow, sure hit the spot. The dinner spread was great and unexpectedly fine considering the fact that we were camping. After dinner table talk soon led to an offer to paddle in the moonlight. The thrill factor is what motivated all of us. However, the peacefulness and amazing nightscape are what I’ll remember the most.
We woke up to the sun rising over Caribbean. Everyone was accounted for… we had made jokes the night before about who would be dragged away by a croc in the middle of the night. After breakfast we broke down the camp and reloaded the canoes. As we paddled back we saw a “snake bird” cruising on the water. I first didn’t believe it was a bird until it came out on a dry branch and stretched its wings to dry out.
A couple hours later we arrived to the point where we started the day before. I wanted to keep on paddling all day, but all good things come to an end I guess…
I’m so glad to have found my favorite wilderness guide again. I’m already planning to go on his 3-day expedition next time I go to Cozumel. Anyone going on one of his expeditions will come back with a sense of accomplishment and a commitment to the preservation of these few remaining wilderness areas. Congratulations Robert, you’ve done it again!

toronto
“Incredible canoe trip through a part of Cozumel that few have seen!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

We have been visiting Cozumel for years, but this time we took two incredible canoe trips through the lagoons in the north end of the island!! In sturdy aluminum canoes, our leader Robert informed us about our surroundings as we paddled. The spectacular beauty was augmented by the silence, which was interrupted only by the sounds of our paddles, the calls of the multitudes of birds, and Robert's hushed voice. We highly recommend taking this trip to an unspoiled and beautiful part of the lovely island of Cozumel!

One of our trips left from the pier at the north end near the gorgeous Isla Pasion. Loading our canoes with everything that we might need (Robert thinks of everything!), we set off, paddling across the bay and into the ocean. Seeing the ocean and beach from a canoe was an amazing experience. We made a short portage and entered one of the salt water lagoons. It was nesting season and we saw so many birds that we actually lost track: roseated spoon bills, herons, osprey, coots and more. Robert had packed an amazing lunch, and all of us were famished from the paddling so we devoured it as we enjoyed our surroundings under the handy sun tent that Robert had brought. A swim in the ocean from a beautiful and isolated white sand beach was the perfect way to loosen up and get ready for our paddle back – it was like our own private beach in paradise. As we arrived back at the pier, very tired but exhilarated by what we had seen and done, we were treated to the sight of the spectacular sunset and the adorable unique tiny raccoons indigenous to that area.

Our other trip was to the inland lagoons in the north of the island that are created by the rains so they change with the seasons. Dense mangrove is everywhere in the very shallow waters. Other than the humans in our small group, our companions were the birds. And, of course, our close up encounter with an 8 foot crocodile who was sunning herself on a bank near the place we stopped for our lunch! Since she does not see humans, she was not threatened by us or threatening in any way. In fact, she was completely uninterested in us! We hauled our canoes up and took a very short walk to an isolated beach on the "other side", where the surf crashes and the view is like no other. Robert unpacked a delicious lunch for us - our appetites were huge after all the paddling. The sun was setting on the mangrove lagoons as we arrived back at our starting point.

Visited January 2012
Cozumel, Mexico
4 attraction reviews
“Escape the hussel & bussel of life...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

Leave you iphone, computer and touch pads behind.... immerse yourself in nature and discover parts of Cozumel that very few see. Silvestre Tours offers a variety of nature oriented tours (they also have overnight excusions which I am definitely going to try next time). My husband asked me to join on an afternoon 3 hour canoe trip on the North side of Cozumel (just past Mezcalitos for those that know the island well). And boy am I glad that I left my work behind to do this tour.

Be aware that canoeing is not as easy I had thought it to be (and I am relatively young and fit), but taking the time to see this part of the island is worth the "paddle". We took our canoes to three different lagoons and breaked for a late lunch on a deserted beach. The isolation and sounds of the breeze, ocean and birds is enough to melt all worries away.

On the beach...Robert gave us each a garbage bag in efforts to keep this untouched beach by man clean from the ocean garbage that washes up (brilliant idea...). One bag of garbage for quite an impressive spread for lunch...definitely worth the little effort is takes to pick up plastic and washed up flip flops. We had tortas with ham & cheese, guacamole, ceviche and....COCKTAILS! Yes, that is right Robert a true foodie knows the importance of good eats and drinks.

I would highly recommend this tour if you are more adventurous and looking for something that is "off the beaten path". Who needs beach bars when you can have your deserted beach with a gin & tonic in hand!?! Also, for those that are looking for unique photography opportunities the lagoons are just gorgeous!

Kansas
3 attraction reviews
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Our group of four, joined by two others, experienced a wonderful afternoon canoeing along what Robert calls Mezcalito's lagoons. Robert, having been director of the national park here on Cozumel, is a very knowledgeable guide, and that added much to the trip. We canoed for about 5 km and then stopped for lunch on the beach which was just over a dune from the fresh-water lagoon. Lunch was delicious and the setting was beautiful. While Robert was setting up for lunch, we all picked up beach trash--which made us all feel like we were contributing to the well-being of a favorite vacation destination. Our return canoe trip was just as the sun was going down so the light was wonderful and very different from what it had been earlier in the afternoon. We recommend this excursion as a very different experience than most travellers have on a "beach vacation." Well worth it!

Visited February 2012

Travelers who viewed Mexico Silvestre Cozumel Wilderness Outfitter - Day Tours also viewed

Been to Mexico Silvestre Cozumel Wilderness Outfitter - Day Tours? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Mexico Silvestre Cozumel Wilderness Outfitter - Day Tours, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.