Okay...here's the deal. My wife and I flew back to Toronto yesterday on a Skyservice flight....
We arrived at the Park Royale at about 10:00AM on Sunday January 16th, 2005. Initially I was blown away by the beauty of the resort....It's really nice.
Day 1 was our "Let's go have a look around" day...although I had been to Cozumel 10 years ago my wife had never been so I wanted tro show her about... We made it back in time for afternoon snacks and dinner which were always welcome and pretty good tasting!
On Day 2 I had a few "annoyances" thrown at me first thing in the morning... fist of which was a phone call at 8:15 AM from the Signature Vacations representative who wanted to discuss our "itinerary"... this was followed by a persistant "knocking" at our door by a member of the cleaning staff... now seriously here folks.....I'M ON VACATION!!! LEAVE ME ALONE! I made a point of going up to the front desk and requesting that my phone be put on D.N.D. and asked for a "No Molestar" sign to hang on my doorknob. This worked great.
As this is an All Inclusive, my vacation was fuelled by many late nights and a fair amount of drinking so I forget what happened on what days....but in terms of problems with the facilities there was ALWAYS a puddle of water in the corridor leading to our room... I was woken by "gurgling" drainpipes a couple of times and the last 2 nights in the hotel there were no hallway lights on our floor in addition to a couple of others. (I put my the table lamp from our room in the hall)
In terms of the food....the first few days were great....towards the end of the week the food was no "less great" than at the begining , but it became rather monotonous....the sauces, flavours, spices etc.. were always the same. My favorite meal was usually breakfast because I would get an omelette made excatly how I would like it.....and it was always fresh and piping hot!
The staff at the Park Royale are INCREDIBLE!!! The bartenders have great personalities and made our days and nights great! The wait staff only took 2 days to learn that I have coffee and cream with breafast and 2 glasses of wine with dinner. The staff always smiled a genuine smile not a "if I smile I get a tip" smile! They were really really incredible.
As for the facility deficiencies let's face it..... the place was built in 1978....It has been battered by a few major hurricanes since then and in some places it shows....
Overall however I would give it 2 thumbs up and would recommend it to an "open minded" traveller.....if you are the type that needs fine china and crystal and to have your bed turned down every night then go somewhere else...
A couple of heads up...
- A scooter should cost you no more than 24.00 USD a day
- A Jeep should cost no more than $50.00 USD a day
- Don't buy stuff on the first day...travel around and figure things out before you blow your hard earned money.
- Ignore the "Time Share" types....and be aware that they are working In the Hotel. I mistook one for an "Activities Coordinator"...
- If you like to party go to Carlos & Charlies and Senor Frogs! GREAT SPOTS.
- If you want to try real mexican food go to Casa Dennis... GREAT FOOD
- Do go completely around the island... great beach bars and amazing sites!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Among the many amenities available at Park Royal Cozumel are several swimming pools, a first-rate fitness center, relaxing spa, and open-air theatre for evening entertainment under the beautiful night sky of Cozumel, Mexico. At the center of our Cozumel resort is the main pool, our beach pool is next to the ocean, and two infinity pools complete the offering. Our poolside bars will keep you cool and refreshed as you swim, play and relax by the crystal clear water of Cozumel. Two Jacuzzis provide beautiful ocean views right on the beach. Our sparkling Caribbean ocean invites you to snorkel. Our on-site dive shop can outfit you for a more adventurous ocean activity. A volleyball area is available to play and have fun with your family and friends while enjoying a magnificent ocean view of the coast of Cozumel, Mexico. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Tingo, Priceline, Otel, Travelocity, HotelTravel.com, Hotels.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Park Royal Cozumel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Park Royal Cozumel Hotel Cozumel
- Park Royal Hotel Cozumel
- Park Royal Cozumel Mexico