“Love Hate Relationship with Park Royale” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Park Royal Cozumel

Save Saved
You added Park Royal Cozumel to your Saves list
Park Royal Cozumel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Paraiso Km 3.5 Carretera Chankannab, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #17 of 58 hotels in Cozumel
A TripAdvisor Member
“Love Hate Relationship with Park Royale”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2005

Okay...here's the deal. My wife and I flew back to Toronto yesterday on a Skyservice flight....

We arrived at the Park Royale at about 10:00AM on Sunday January 16th, 2005. Initially I was blown away by the beauty of the resort....It's really nice.

Day 1 was our "Let's go have a look around" day...although I had been to Cozumel 10 years ago my wife had never been so I wanted tro show her about... We made it back in time for afternoon snacks and dinner which were always welcome and pretty good tasting!

On Day 2 I had a few "annoyances" thrown at me first thing in the morning... fist of which was a phone call at 8:15 AM from the Signature Vacations representative who wanted to discuss our "itinerary"... this was followed by a persistant "knocking" at our door by a member of the cleaning staff... now seriously here folks.....I'M ON VACATION!!! LEAVE ME ALONE! I made a point of going up to the front desk and requesting that my phone be put on D.N.D. and asked for a "No Molestar" sign to hang on my doorknob. This worked great.

As this is an All Inclusive, my vacation was fuelled by many late nights and a fair amount of drinking so I forget what happened on what days....but in terms of problems with the facilities there was ALWAYS a puddle of water in the corridor leading to our room... I was woken by "gurgling" drainpipes a couple of times and the last 2 nights in the hotel there were no hallway lights on our floor in addition to a couple of others. (I put my the table lamp from our room in the hall)

In terms of the food....the first few days were great....towards the end of the week the food was no "less great" than at the begining , but it became rather monotonous....the sauces, flavours, spices etc.. were always the same. My favorite meal was usually breakfast because I would get an omelette made excatly how I would like it.....and it was always fresh and piping hot!

The staff at the Park Royale are INCREDIBLE!!! The bartenders have great personalities and made our days and nights great! The wait staff only took 2 days to learn that I have coffee and cream with breafast and 2 glasses of wine with dinner. The staff always smiled a genuine smile not a "if I smile I get a tip" smile! They were really really incredible.

As for the facility deficiencies let's face it..... the place was built in 1978....It has been battered by a few major hurricanes since then and in some places it shows....

Overall however I would give it 2 thumbs up and would recommend it to an "open minded" traveller.....if you are the type that needs fine china and crystal and to have your bed turned down every night then go somewhere else...

A couple of heads up...

- A scooter should cost you no more than 24.00 USD a day
- A Jeep should cost no more than $50.00 USD a day
- Don't buy stuff on the first day...travel around and figure things out before you blow your hard earned money.
- Ignore the "Time Share" types....and be aware that they are working In the Hotel. I mistook one for an "Activities Coordinator"...
- If you like to party go to Carlos & Charlies and Senor Frogs! GREAT SPOTS.
- If you want to try real mexican food go to Casa Dennis... GREAT FOOD
- Do go completely around the island... great beach bars and amazing sites!

1,818 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Polish first
Wytheville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2005

We returned last night from a week at the Park Royal. It is not the Ritz, but at the discount rate; it is a great deal. It was clean and the staff was always friendly and helpfull. It is Mexico and things do break. If you are seeking perfection, look elsewhere. If you want a clean room, decent food, and at a good price, go no further.

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2005

My husband & I stayed at the Park Royal in Cozumel for 2 weeks in December 2004. Getting there: it was about a 40 minute taxi ride from the Cancun airport to the ferry at Playa del Carmen, then 40 minutes by ferry to Cozumel - then a 5 minute taxi ride and you're there. There is no public transit in Cozumel, but there are tons of taxis!
As soon as we arrived at the resort we were struck by how open and fresh everything was -- from the front desk area down the staircase to the huge lounge area ��������� it's all open (no walls) with warm fresh air and big palm trees all around the resort. The hotel itself is a separate building within the resort -- clean and comfy with nice balconies -- from here you could see all the different cruise ships pull in to port every day not far from the resort. There is a huge pool area not far from the main buffet restaurant, and the private beach is close by too.
The scuba diving is amazing in Cozumel, and our group was out every day at the crack of dawn diving a different reef (with AquaWorld which was right beside our resort). The food at Park Royal resort was really good and the staff were so wonderful. The restaurant was open nice and early every day, and the early divers in the group found this to be a bonus.
One thing we found slightly annoying was the loud dj/music in the lounge area before supper time the 1st week we were there... Also we thought the lounge/bar area could have used more tables close to the bar, as there were only a few bar stools and our group ended up standing alot to visit & have drinks. The drinks at the resort were fabulous - especially the 'black monkeys'.
One evening we took a cab ($4.00/couple -- $1 for each extra person in the cab) to town and had dinner at La Casa Mission. It was just excellent. We spent one day at Chankanab Park, snorkelling, dolphin watching, sightseeing & suntanning. Another day we rented a Jeep and ventured to the other side of the island & enjoyed the beaches and toured the ruins (you could spend 3 or 4 hours at the ruins - alot of walking). The shopping in San Migel was lots of fun -- found lots of bargains and the people were so friendly.
I have heard that Park Royal is now closed for rennovations. It would be great if they would add one more restaurant just for variety, but other than this I hope they don't change much else -- especially the layout of everything, as it is almost perfect as it is. For the price of an all-inclusive trip, staying at Park Royal was well worth our money. It was a very enjoyable vacation, and we would definitely go back again!

• Stayed December 2004
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2005

Was there Jan 6-13th 2005 - Got sick the first day (2 other people in our group also got sick and heard many other did also) and bathroom not working. My husband had to argue with many people and finally got the manager to give us a room with a working bathroom by telling him there would be a big mess if they did not hurry up - this took all day! There were bugs in the desserts and salads. While I stood at the grill the grill chef used tongs to take raw chicken out of a pan and put it on the grill and then stuck the tongs with raw chicken liquid all over them into the pork and beef. We were told by several employees at the hotel that the time share people get preferential treatment. We had a document saying all inclusive guests get 4th floor or higher rooms with views. We got a first floor room with a view of a jeep rental parking lot. Time Share sales people bug you all the time. Never go to this place. It was terrible.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2005

i just got back from the Park royal was there from the 8th to the 15th of january 2005. first time being in cozumel and i thought the resort was great. the staff was excellent entertaining you all day. they had three different bars to choose from all with pretty good drinks. the food was pretty good kind of the same foods everyday but alot of variety. one of the nights the hotel brought us down to three different bars/clubs to drink was a pretty good time. i would pay to get the all inculsive you well drink and eat enough for how much you pay for it. i would recommend the hotel i would go back anyday.

Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2005

We were told by many other reviews that this place was not even a 3 star and that they would never go back. We went with 2 children, a teen and a senior and everyone had an amazing time. In previous years we always went to 4 stars and had a great time, but none even compare to this trip.The rooms were amazing and so clean and the most spectacular view across the bay to Cancun. The beach was supreme to any other and the food was exquisite. We plan a return trip next year. The beds were very soft and comfy, and had great entertainment. Worth every dollar and a thousand more.

Oshawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2005

First of all the Park Royal is NOT a 4 star resort it is listed as a 3 star. After reading all the whining reviews on here I was very concerned about my trip to the Park Royal but when I got there I found myself in a Tropical Paradise with gorgeous weather, a beautiful beach with turquoise water, staff that couldnt do enough for us and food that was perfectly acceptable and often delicious. Yes one building is under repair and we actually had workmen working on it when we were there...there was no loud noises from the work only men doing drywall inside of the rooms...plus you can hardly even see this building because it is so surrounded by beautiful palm trees and landscaping. We were supposed to have a room with 2 double beds (one for my boyfriend and I and one for the two kids to share) but the concierge said he had a special room for us instead....we actually ened up with a room that had 2 double beds and a seperate bedroom for the kids with 2 single beds at no extra charge! Oh and while I'm on the topic of the rooms let me add that we had a beautiful granite floor and counter top in the bathroom, the beds all had brand new matresses and were not hard at all and the room was spotless with no brown water and a working toilet. The staff were amazing! Pancho the activities director sent my boyfriend and I out to ride bikes and tour the town while he watched the 2 kids for us.....at no charge! Another parent said she was watching him while we were gone and that he was painting pottery with them and playing with them in the pool for hours!!!!!! How is that for service??? We got some time alone to go shopping and have lunch and the kids (ages 5 and 12) had a blast!! All in all this resort is an amazing deal for the money!! Especially if you have kids...I paid under $3100 Canadian for all four of us for a week all inclusive. The snorkelling is amazing right at the hotel..the fish eat bread right from your hand! Rent a Jeep its a better way to see the island instead of paying for pricey tours. We used Less Pay car Rental and he even rented us a Jeep without a credit card...we left a $300 cash deposit and it was returned to us the next day with no problems ( I had heard that there was a lot of scams with depoits and credit cards being mis-used). We're had no hassels from anyone selling time shares..not in the airport or on the resort. I have no complaints at all about this resort and I would definitly go back....my kids didnt want to leave. WE had a great time!

Been to Park Royal Cozumel? Share your experiences!