“Great resort to kick back and relax” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Park Royal Cozumel

You added Park Royal Cozumel to your Saves list
Park Royal Cozumel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Paraiso Km 3.5 Carretera Chankanaab, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #21 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
Crown Point, Indiana
“Great resort to kick back and relax”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My fiance and I booked this trip a while back, as it was a deal on Living Social so why not. We stayed at Park Royal from July 10-15. Upon arrival, check in was fast, front desk pretty friendly. Our room wasn't ready so they held our bags no problem and we went to the pool. Resort has 3 pools, 2 infinity and one free standing. There are two "hot tubs." They're really not hot tubs, more like small circular mini pools closer to the ocean, same temp as the pools. Pools are very clean, all have swim up bars. bartenders are quick to get your order. Drinks are pretty good. They're served in smaller cups. I saw people going up with larger travel muggs so that's an idea. There are plenty of lounge chairs pretty much whatever time you go to the pool. It wasn't a problem finding two chairs together.
Rooms are clean, pretty spacious. We had asked for an ocean front king on a higher floor. We did get an ocean front on a high floor, two double beds. No problem-pushed them together and it was fine :) As people in other reviews said, beds are more on the firmer side. I like a softer bed; however, I had no problem sleeping every night. They're totally fine,
Food was ok. It's not going to blow your mind but I didn't go hungry. There is a buffet for all meals. Breakfast standard fare. Lunch seemed to be leftovers from the prior night, but they always had soup, cold cuts/bread etc. There are also 3 stands close to the pools where they grill up burgers/hotdogs, pizza (or they were calling it pizza-terrible) nacho chips with cheese machine, toppings etc. We mostly ate there thru the week-after swimming/drinking all day it's what sounded good and was the easiest. Dinner at the buffet mostly-they changed the theme nightly, whether it be italian, asian, mexican etc. Like I said, it was decent. They definitely had similar items that they just tweeked a little each night-ie chicken drumsticks that were just seasoned differently depending on the night .:) Definitely decent food, but you're not going to be raving about it. There are also two restaurants you can make reservations for. Reservations start at 1200 each day. People line up outside to make them. We did go to the mexican restuarant, casual dress. My fiance had the fajitas and said they were good. I had beef skirt steak. It was a little tough, but between the apps they give you, salad, wine, dessert...I did not go hungry. We didnt have the chance to go to the Italian restuarant, but dress code is a little dressier-guys-pants, no sandals etc. We didn't really hear much about it.
There are alot of activities scheduled throughout the day. The staff tries to get you involved in volleyball, darts etc. Each night there was a show in the outside ampitheater featuring mexican dancing etc. One complaint is that they had a board with activity times that were rarely accurate. One night it had karaoke which I thought woul be pretty funny to watch. We went to the ampitheater-no karaoke, more latin dancing. The dancing is fun to watch, but after seeing it a couple times you're kinda over it.
We did get a massage at the spa, since our livingsocial deal had a 50% off on spa services so for both our massages it was $80. It was decent. The girls did a good job. Only complaint is that you're kinda tucked in a corner of a large room by a curtain. The rest of the room has a whirlpool. It got kinda loud with the people in it so one of the girls went out to tell them to be quiet, but it's not very private etc. It did the job though. We tipped the girls after and thought it would just be billed to our room. We went later on to try to get into our room and our key wouldn't work. Went to the front desk and they locked us out because we had not paid!! So that was not very clear.
Overall good experience. $7-8 cab ride into the downtown. We were only in the downtown area briefly prior to a pirate ship dinner cruise. Not really worth it. People will hound you to go into their stores etc. Really nothing that special to buy. Pirate ship dinner cruise-we both got food poisioning..very entertaining though...other than the food poisoning.
Overall, would recommend this hotel to someone going to Cozumel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (606)
  • Polish first
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Just got back on Monday from our second stay at Park Royal. I can't say enough wonderful things about it. Upon arrival, we were greeting by the bellboys who remembered us from 2 years ago. We got on our suits and headed to the pool. We were greeted by Franciso, the head of the entertainment staff with a big "welcome home!". That is exactly how it feels there...like home (only better).

Bellboys- awesome

Front desk staff- not always the most warm and friendly, but they do their job

Pools- Main pool is very nice- more family oriented. Not terribly crowded and plenty of lounge chairs. There are 2 infinity pools- one is more "quiet" and the other is more of the "younger crowd". Bartenders at all 3 are awesome!

Beach/Ocean- Probably my biggest complaint...not a great beach. It's very small- great for kids who want to get wet and play in the sand. There is a little cove...once you swim outside of the cove (you need water shoes...it's rocky), however, the ocean is beautiful and great snorkeling. The current can be strong though, so I wouldn't recommend going too far out if you aren't a half way decent swimmer.

Rooms- Nice. Spotlessly clean!!! I swear housekeeping were in the military because you could definitely bounce a coin off those beds...lol. Only complaint about the room is the bed is VERY hard. Was okay for us because I like hard beds. There are different setups for bathrooms (word of warning)- ours was a normal bathroom with shower, toilet, and sink inside the bathroom door. My mom however had a bathroom where the shower (glass shower) was on the outside. This type of bathroom is not condusive to a family. Just wanted to let everyone know that if you get this type, not all the rooms are like this and you could try to switch to a different room. Also, the higher your room the better your view. We were on the 3rd floor and really only overlooked palm trees. It was fine, but ocean view or pool view (higher room) would have been nicer.

Restaurants- Buffet (La Veranda), Italiano, and Mexicano. You need to make reservations for the Italian and Mexican. The Italian, you have to be over 12. Be advised that I wouldn't really consider the Italian to be "Italian" food nor would I consider the Mexican to be real "Mexican". If you think you aren't sure- look at the menus. The coconut grouper in the Mexican is to die for as was the filet. We had the pork pizziola in the Italian which was good. The appetizer bar in the Italian restaurant makes that restaurant worthwhile, in my opinion. For the buffet, breakfast is very good. Lunch is decent...your only other option is the snack bar. Dinners are usually pretty good (soups are wonderful) and they try to vary it each night. We were there for 10 days and it got a bit repetitive. My only complaint was that they won't combine more than 2 tables. We were a group of 11 and I HATED splitting up at meals.

Cleanliness- They actually take out the rocks from the waterfalls and scrub them!!! You will constantly see people cleaning walkways, floors, everything. I have never seen such a spotlessly clean place in my life!

Entertainment- Can't say enough... Francisco and his guys do a great job. There are activities all day long including water polo, volleyball, poker, friendship bracelets, cooking lessons, water aerobics, dance lessons, you name it. Activities are usually from 10-5. In the evening, they have shows- Mexican show (wonderful), Caribbean dancers (not so wonderful), Casino night, Pirate Show (Men vs. Women, no pirates except the entertainment staff), can't remember what else. Wear bug spray for the night shows! The entertainment has been scaled back from 2 years ago, but I still think it's an intregal part of the hotel.

Kid's Club- My 11 year old still goes in...says a lot. Miss Claudia is so wonderful with the kids. They have a little pool with a water slide. They watch movies, play games, have pool time in the regular pool, etc. I also TOTALLY trust Claudia with my kids which says a lot because I have NEVER left my kids with anyone besides family before.

Downside- There isn't a regular elevator from the lobby to the pool area. This was very difficult for my 94 year old grandfather as I would imagine it would be for most older people or people who have trouble walking up stairs. Other thing- very slippery floors!

One thing I would definitely say is that this is a family place!!! If you are a young group of 20 year olds looking to get drunk and hoot and holler...this isn't the place for you. If you have kids, this is an awesome place to take them- little kids have the kid's club, older kids can do the activities, everyone can go to the show at night.

Room Tip: Higher room
Woodstock, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We walked 5 minutes from our cruise ship to the Park Royal Cozumel. The sold us a day pass for $40 each which was an All-Inclusive day pass from 11am-7pm. Great facilities. Pool and beach area is awesome, drinks were great and food was good. We would go back again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Buy the day pass directly from the hotel desk, not from the guys walking on the street out front.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Black River Falls, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and our 2 teenagers just got back from the Park Royal on July 12th, 2013. We booked our 5 night stay through Expedia and read lots and lots of reviews before we booked and decided on the Park Royal because it had the best price and the best reviews. I really find them to be helpful for wme when I travel so I try to give as much detail as I can in hopes that it will help you decide if this is the destination for you! = )
So, day one, we arrived early and our room wasn't quite ready which I expected. I felt bad for the front desk clerk - there was just one guy there trying to check people in. There were a few people there to help us store our luggage and of course, a Time Share rep there who was eager to show us around every day. He was very nice and not too pushy so it was fine. We had an hour to kill so we just walked the grounds and discovered the "Royal Village" shopping center which is there on-site. It would've been very nice but it looked like it was still in the works. The building was there but there were only a handful of store fronts which were all very high-end and ridiculously expensive.
Of all the reviews I read, I never understood that the majority, if not all of the rooms actually face the ocean. Whether or not you can actually see the ocean depends on which building and which level your room is on. We were in building 2, level 3 so unfortunately, we did not have a view of the ocean - but if we had been up just another level or 2, we would've been able to see the ocean. We did ask if we could upgrade but we were told they were full which I don't believe to be true but in fairness, we didn't specify whether or no we were willing to pay for the upgrade. Regardless, we only spent enough time in the room to sleep and shower so it wasn't a big deal.
The room itself was very clean, our air conditioning worked great and our balcony overlooked the lush, tropical grounds. My only complaint about our room is that the beds are very hard - but we knew to expect that from the reviews. I also did not care for how the bathroom was set up. The toilet is the only part that is actually behind a closed door. Otherwise the shower has a glass door so anyone standing in front the sink can see you in the shower. It wouldn't be a big deal for a couple, but with two teenage kids, it slowed down the process of getting ready every day.
The grounds were immaculate - there was always a worker there cleaning/maintaining something. We even got to see them working on the huge thatch roof over the lobby area which was really something. Now..onto the food...
There are two convenient locations to go up and make your own nachos which was kind of nice for a mid-day snack, they also served burgers, hot dogs and pizza. My husband said the pizza was gross but we never tried anything else. Le Veranda Buffet is the only option for breakfast which got a little sickening after 6 mornings. It's very nice and they have a variety of things to choose from but I guess it depends on your personal pallet. They have someone there cooking eggs made to order so you can add ingredients for an omelet if you choose. Personally, I really enjoyed the waffles and the french toast with the burnt milk sauce (it was like caramel). Lunch and supper in the buffet varied every day - they were supposed to be themed but we never really connected the food to the theme. There were days/nights that we really enjoyed the buffet and others that just didn't do anything for us. They do have an Italian and a Mexican restaurant but you have to get in line to make reservations. Don't bother trying to call by phone because they seriously ignore it. You are better off just walking in around noon and we never had a problem getting a reservation. We never ate at the Mexican restaurant because our daughter is vegetarian and she doesn't care for Mexican food. The Italian Restaurant is very nice - we ate there twice and though our service was better the first time, our food was better the 2nd time. My son had the grouper which was really good but it was garnished with a huge shrimp that creeped him out a little bit! I had the chicken parmisan which was ok, but the Braised Beef steak was absolutely divine! My daughter really liked the veggie lasagna and my husband had veal medallions which were really good and then he had canneloni the 2nd night. There isn't a huge menu but you get a great salad bar and soup beforehand so you don't leave hungry.
The drinks were very tasty - we had fun at the infinity pool bar with Luis as our bartender. He wasn't shy with the alcohol but as much as we drank, we expected to at least have a buzz and never did. My husband is convinced they water down their liquor but I think you just have to sit there with the determination to get drunk if that's your mission. We were there to celebrate our son's 18th birthday so HE got pretty tipsy one night since but he was tasting so many different drinks - we warned him! I don't know - the alcohol isn't a big deal to me. There are two infinity pools, one seems to be a little more layed back and the other seemed to have the rowdier bunch. The pool with the fun little waterfall in the main area was more where families with younger kids hung out which was really nice. We really enjoyed just kicking it at the pool, overlooking the ocean and enjoying great conversation with other vacationers. The cruise ships come into port there - I had read in other reviews that they didn't like this because it blocked their views, etc. We enjoyed it - we even got to see the Oasis of the Sea which we learned is the largest cruise ship in the world. There were 3 ships docked at the same time and it really wasn't a big deal to us - it was awesome to watch them sail in and away. There is a Dive Center on-site that allows hotel guests to borrow snorkeling equipment for free for one hour or you can pay $20 for 24 hours. The beach area is very rocky but it was so warm and beautiful, it didn't bother me at all. The snorkeling was really amazing - we payed $235 to do the Beach Party through Fury Catamarans and there were more fish in our beach than we saw at either of the reefs. We were disappointed on the last day-we wanted to snorkel but they had given out all of their equipment to other tours going out that day. So, lesson learned - bring your own gear if you can.
The Fury Catamarans were fun - we got to see a pod of dolphins swimming along side of our boat on the way to the reefs. We didn't see much at the first reef but the 2nd reef we saw a sea turtle, baracuda, starfish and lots of stingrays so that was pretty cool. They took us to a beautiful beach area on the southern coast of the island that is owned by the company. There they served us some great cheeseburgers, salads, and drinks and then we got to spend some time playing in some inflatables on the beach, or relaxing either in a hammock or on a bed. That alone was worth it.
Sorry this has gotten so long - like I said in the beginning, I like to give details because everyone goes on vacation for different reasons. Some like to just relax and some like to see the sights and be more active. Other than the Fury excursion, the only thing we did was go into town for some shopping. There are some pretty high pressure sales, but it was still fun. We ate at Senior Frogs which was a welcomed change from the food at Park Royal but it was a spendy lunch that wasn't all that fabulous - except the Guacamole!
All in all, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a layed back getaway. We've been to Cancun and Cozumel was a far cry from the party life in Cancun which was fine with us. If that's what you're looking for, then this resort is probably not going to make you happy. If you're big food junky, then you may want to look elsewhere as the food here can get a bit tiring, but we were always able to find something - we never went hungry. The night life were silly, cheesy shows - the pirate show was quite comical, our son got pulled up on stage but the dancers were nothing that you can't see somewhere else. We were in our room and ready for bed by 10 almost every night but after being in the pool and the sun all day, our teenagers were even more tired than we were. We did run into some other people that had stayed at other places and they said Park Royal was the best but really, Cozumel is a haven for snorkelers and divers so if you're not into that, then I'd suggest going elsewhere.
We really enjoyed our vacation and regardless of where you go, you're in the Mexican Caribbean and you can't get any better than that.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the 4th or 5th floor to see the ocean.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The location is wonderful and the service was good. The room was comfortable and the view was beautiful out over the ocean. We snorkeled in the lagoon everyday but one and that was because of a freak storm that blew jellyfish into the cove so they would not allow anyone in the water. The food was not horrible, but it was not 5 star every night. I do have to say that the only night I was disappointed in the food was Italian night. On one night there was sushi and it was really good. All the dessert were basically the same, but they weren't bad. The staff was friendly and I was not even approached by a time share person in the lobby as some of the other reviewers were. I would gladly return year after year if I could. One thing though, we were near the entertainment pavilion and if you wanted to sleep early that was not the best place to be as the music was pretty loud.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hayesville, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Great location and close to the Cozumel airport, local shopping just steps from the hotel..... The hotel was very clean and well maintained and the staff were always eager to help with whatever your needs may be..... The pools were clean and the bartenders were great..... The downside is having to pay $15 per day for wifi that is weak at best , no in room fridge and no room service. The beach area is very small and you go through a short tunnel under the rd to get there. You can snorkel onsite free for 1hr or $10 per day. Overall it is a very nice hotel with an excellent staff and good value for the money.

Room Tip: Stay above the 5th floor for ocean view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Parsippany, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We just returned from our 5th trip to Park Royal Cozumel. That should tell you something!

I call the staff there my "Mexican Family" because they really are. Each year we bring some different folks with us, and they've ALL begged us to go back. This year was a "short" trip - only 14 days. We've done almost 3 weeks in years past, so those 14 days went by super quickly!

Cleanliness: You won't find anywhere this clean. I mean, seriously, they scrub the decorative rocks around the trees. I wish my house were nearly this clean.

Food: For an all-inclusive, the food here is really top-notch. Keeping in mind that it's an amalgam of different regional foods, they try really hard. Lots of options for lots of tastes. The only way you could be disappointed is if you go to Italian night at La Veranda and expect food from Carmine's. If you keep in that it's a buffet, you can't go wrong. As for the restaurants (Mexicano and Italiano) - the waitstaff couldn't be friendlier. The food can get a little repetitive after 2 weeks, but we never have a problem finding something to eat!

Drinks: The bartenders are part of the magic here. Oscar, Pedro, Luis, Ronaldo, Okie-Dokie and all the rest I'm forgetting - you guys are AWESOME. Can't tell you how great it is to show up on my first day of vacation, and as soon as the bartender sees us, he starts getting our drinks ready!

Entertainment staff: The heart & soul of Park Royal is the entertainment staff. I really can't say enough great things! Francisco, Claudia, Jesus, Alejandro, Jerry, Oscar & the rest --- you're the ones that turn this into a REAL family vacation! You really treat us as family and go so far above and beyond to make the guests happy..... thank you from the bottom of my heart!!! Claudia in the Kids Club... She treats my son and my niece as her own. Jesus - my little guy's best friend! Francisco - the guy who gets the party going, keeps us laughing and of course does a mean Gangam Style! The games they play are a blast (we especially love Mexican Water Polo -- my apologies again to the woman whose nose I almost broke off!) and they're always around the pool and beach encouraging folks to participate. There's something going every hour, every day. The shows at nighttime are lots of fun too - especially the kids' mini-disco. Chu chu ua chu chu ua gets stuck in your head!

Front desk: Clemente, Luis, Samuel & Gabriel - The big bear hug I get when I arrive says it all! They make sure everything is perfecto - our bags, our room, anything we need - they make it happen. Can't ask for more!

I can't say enough great things about Park Royal Cozumel. The staff here really do try harder than anywhere I've ever been and go so far out of their way to make our stay perfect. Park Royal Cozumel is my special relaxation place and part of me hopes the rest of you stay away so I can have it all to myself.

Just got home this morning and I miss everyone already! Long live Park Royal Cozumel!

Room Tip: Royal Holiday members typically get the higher floors (7,8,9) - those booking through Expedia etc. t...