“Go with the Ocean Front Room/ Suite/ Villas” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunscape Sabor Cozumel

You added Sunscape Sabor Cozumel to your Saves list
Sunscape Sabor Cozumel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 12.9 Carretera Costera Sur, Cozumel 77600, Mexico (Formerly Sabor Cozumel Resort and Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Savings up 40%
Ranked #31 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Pennsylvania
“Go with the Ocean Front Room/ Suite/ Villas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

So where do I start... explanation I suppose. We go to MX once a year or so and Punta Cana 3-4 times a year. So I am not fussy. But I do know a good value, and what to expect for what I pay. I know bargain resorts and true 5 star resorts. I understand AI food is catering for the masses and not gourmet. I know that most people that say a place is wonderful and the best vacation of their life probably have nothing to compare it too. That may be my downfall, I know what to expect and I know when I am not getting what I paid for. I write reviews b/c I have more experience than others, I no longer read reviews b/c they are too subjective. What you say is perfect I say was blah. No two tastes are the same and just b/c Il iked it does not mean you will and visa versa. So I will try to be clean cut and as always feel free to message me for pics and examples, or to settle anything you didn't get or i didn't include.
Check in and out, painless. We booked tropical with my TA but worked out a sensible upgrade for our villa 3211 (ocean front - first floor) and daughters villa, next to us 3214. Ours was the first building by the swing bar and the pool. The bar is open until 1am and we enjoyed the msic and entertainment. We were 20 feet from the water and no where would we have a better room location for the price we paid. Very happy.
Two buffets were available to us but b/c Sunscape is a small resort, the buffets are also small. I may be used to a bit more of a selection. I did not however go hungry, lol. The Seaside Grill was most convenient for lunch opening at 11am but many days didnt have half of their snacks until 12n or after. After a few days of the limited breakfast and lunch buffet and hot dogs from the snack bar we began to go to go out of the gates to the taco stand on the street. Cheap, safe, and delicious. And authentic. Dinners were a bit better. Da Mario, pizza and pasta was only open for dinner one night (then they went back to lunch, and then closed for remodeling? maybe?) the pizza was okay but the pasta was just some spiral noodles in white sauce, I was allowed to make a plate at the buffet and bring it back, that made it enough for me. On May 5th, 7th and 9th they served Mexican, that kind of did me in. I would have went back to the seaside Grill for dinner but their meats were less than superior quality. The mexican El Patio was pretty good, the fajitas in particular were very satisfying when we just needed some good, tender, not fatty "meat".
We went to the coffee shoppe and gallery shopping on Secrets side, no one turned us away only asking or room #. We were told that some went to their pool, pool bar, and a la cartes without incident as well. Walking through the complex on the Secrets Aura side we noted a very strong, fowl odor of sewer. Many have noted that this was a problem for the last few years there and surprised that it was still not corrected. (Just sayin')
Okay so room location a 10, food a 5. (but I would only expect a 6-7 anyway) Now rooms.
3214 was our first stop, we dropped off my 19 yo daughter, 2 dbls, very old bathroom with a tub i poor condition and a dirty shower curtain, power kept having to be reset. Behind the bed outlet and wired hanging from wall on floor and her patio door very hard to lock, sometimes she couldnt get it at all. Our 3211 was a king bed and the bathroom a bit more modern with a glass shower enclosure/ no tub. One light out in the bathroom, making it hard for makeup. I didn't care too much :) he patios face the beautiful water, just feet away but come 3pm the position of the sun (until sunset at 7) made it unbearable, thats when you want to be at the pool. Pool open until 7 or 8 but could have used a bit more attention in the morning cleaning, some mornings it got no attention, lol. A group of us went for a dip at 1am one night, no one stopped us, it was great fun. The quiet pool located on the other side of the complex also open later was said to be more quiet and adult, but we saw kids there too.
Snorkeling: walking into he water requires water shoes, not my favorite thing. There is one spot at the "access sign" (by Market Cafe buffet) where they have maintained it with sand, unfortunately there was way too much sea grass growing for my likes. Many swam and snorkeled, equipment is avail before the dock on Secrets side, and on the Sunscape side they built an artificial reef in the shape of a shark, my daughter loved that and said there was many fish to see. We also took the glass bottom boat out on a 3 hour snorkeling tour to 3 popular reefs where they saw a lot more.
Town, etc: You can hire a driver for a day but ours fell through so we grabbed a cab that the lobby called for. There in minutes and up to 4 people can get to town for $15. we did this twice to different parts of town and enjoyed getting out. It's safe and touristy, the cruise ships come in and make it busy and when they leave (after 7pm) things close. If you are planning something, watch your times.
WiFi: free for an hour a day in the lobby or $39 per week (sign in and pay on your device), it is only one device and 3 days we were not albe to connect at all.
So watch your step going in and out of the disco. And be careful hopping up and down off the patios; and if you have any questions or comments message me and I'll try to help out. We have a fb group too that is really helpful if anyone is headed there.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Villahermosa, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

A splendid place to rest, recreational activities and excellent service attitude of all staff instead. The beaches are rocky so bring aquatic shoes.The food are delicious, and several options to enjoy a refreshing drink.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

This was an awesome trip. The staff was friendly and helpful. Eager to get to know the guests and provide entertainment all day and into the night. Manuel was great at starting and maintaining the fun atmosphere. The food was excellent and diverse.

Muchas gracias!!!!

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Belwood, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

A great place to stay. Very accommodating. We took my 95 year old mother. She enjoyed it immensely. We snorkeled from the beach every day and scuba dived once. The best under water photography so far. Food was ok. The St Patrick's Day buffet was too green and not appetizing but a good try. We would go back again.

Room Tip: Best rooms would overlook the ocean but too costly and not needed. The ocean is 200 yards away
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

A group of 8 of us had decided to go on a vacation (3 couples and 2 additional friends) and we chose Sunscape because 3 of the members of our group had stayed there several times throughout the past 7 years. Not a single member of our group would express any disappointment about our stay whatsoever.

1. The staff was hands down the most amazing aspect to the resort. They were genuine, friendly, always smiling, and put up with my horrible attempts of putting my college Spanish to use. They all seemed to truly love their jobs and the guests they were able to interact with. Although every person we encountered was absolutely enjoyable, there were two individuals who really went above and beyond and made our trip amazing. Martin, a waiter who trains others on English phrases in the World Cafe, and Cristian Canul, a pool cleaner and bartender-in-training. Martin was so beyond polite, helped us navigate the buffet foods, and ensured we left full, satisfied, and blown away by his service. And Cristian- we are shocked that he had only been training as a bartender for a week when we arrived! His fun personality, great memory for people's favorite drinks and food allergies, and genuine excitement to be there was infectious. Our trip would not have been the same without those two.

2. The room was WAY more spacious than I had imagined. Our bed was huge, I appreciated the kitchenette with stocked mini fridge, and having a couch/seating area was great for when the whole group wanted to meet up. The only complaint I have, and its not even really a complaint, was that I wish the mini fridge would have been restocked more regularly like we had expected. It was nice to enjoy a dos equis on the balcony in the evening.

3. The resort had tons of activities! There was always something going on, but if you didn't want to join in, there was no pressure and you weren't annoyed by those participating in the activities (we were still able to enjoy the pool even during water aerobics). There's snorkeling, sailing, and kayaking. We all enjoyed each of the activities throughout the week, though snorkeling and sailing were the favorites.

4. The beach. Yes it was a bit rocky due to the reef area, but I loved the snorkeling so I can't complain! The beach was clean and there was an abundance of beach chairs and fresh towels. We spent one day hanging out by the beach bar, La Tortuga, and the bartender even came down to the water to see if we would like a refill on our drinks. There wasn't anyone walking around trying to sell you cheap knickknacks like at other resorts I've been to.

All in all, we had an absolutely amazing experience. One of the couples in our group even got engaged and we are all hoping for a destination wedding back to Sunscape! We will certainly be returning for our 2016 Friendcation!

Minn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I wish I could be just absolutely positive about my recent trip to the Sunscape Sabor resort in Cozumel.

I'll grant you that as an UVC member whom normally stays at Secrets or similar, this was a bit of culture shock for me, but we booked sunscape Sabor for a reason.

My wife and I celebrated our 5th anniversary this year and our initial plan had been to see if some of our wedding party, many of whom now have children, would want to join us for a fun week in the tropics in late April. We booked in the SunScape in Cozumel for a few reasons; 1) we have never been to Cozumel, 2) it was family friendly) and 3) we had an expectation being an AMSTAR resort that we'd experience a certain level of service.

In the end, our friends were not able to attend with us, but we opted to "check it out" to see what a family resort was like for in the future. We booked an ocean front, honeymoon suite that was suppose to have a Jacuzzi tub on the deck or patio.

We arrived and initially the lobby is inviting and clean. Check in was a snap and given we had booked the highest level room at the hotel, there was no upgrade offered to us as a UVC member. I did miss the "welcome home" that we've gotten as UVC members in the past. I kind of felt like I was just being ushered in like cattle among the other travelers.

We got to our room and found it quaint, yet tired. The resort in some places is being modernized, but our room was definitely not one of those. Some of the things we noticed right away! The drapes had tears in them. The couch...well...let's just say...I'm not sure we wanted to sit on it. the sink in the bathroom leaked all over the place, and the AC in the bedroom barely worked while the one in the main room could not be set higher than ARCTIC BLAST! one of the drawers was so broken that touching it made it fall onto the floor. the Jacuzzi tub was out on the patio, but covered in bird feces and didn't seem to have a way to be drained. We started the water and then stopped when we realized it could not be drained (point of information...the water remained untouched for 4 days until it finally evaporated)

We reported all of this to the front desk almost immediately...and left 6 days later with none of these issues resolved as far as we know.

We did have a fantastic view...of the seaweed covered beach...which daily, the ground crews raked up and then buried on the beach. once that was gone...the ocean was as blue as the pictures and the breezes were nice and warm.

I think in the entire week we were there, one server came by while we laid on the beach or our balcony to ask us if we wanted something. There is definitely not enough of them manning the patrons on the beach. We finally made friends with Javier...probably the best staff member they have, who tended the bar at the north (quiet) pool. He was just up the hill from our room and so it was an easy hop to go see him for something cold to drink and he would see us coming and knew what we wanted. If you go..please seek him out and only get service from him.

We did do some snorkeling, but the included equipment was tired and you have to get pretty far out to see anything....unless you go to the remnants of the old dock which do seem to have a lot of aquatic activity.

The Spa was very well run...and was the shining start of the resort. The team there was fantastic and we'd contemplated going back for a second relaxing massage simply to get past the poor service elsewhere in the resort.

The food options are limited and we both found the buffet's in the evening to be bland. Skip the pizza place...unless you get the pasta. I've had better frozen pizza from the grocery store that what we had there. El Patio and the Sea Side Grill were ok...but limited in choices. One food benefit..Sunscape shared the "World Cafe" with its sister resort Secret's Aura for Breakfast and Lunch.. Dine there!

Lastly...WIFI is super expensive unless you want to sit in the lobby, where you get only 60 free minutes a day. It actually worked out for me to disconnect like that...until I wanted to check in for my flight home the night before. the internet was so slow...it took the Delta website 30 minutes to load. We were told the internet service provider is a third party and thus the service is out of the hands of the resort.

The evening entertainment was fun..the entertainment staff does do a good job of trying to make sure everyone has fun.

Would we go back...maybe...if I was guaranteed one of the more modernized rooms...and had kids.

Room Tip: Honestly...if you don't care about room type...book the garden view rooms. they were quaint...bu...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We had an incredible time in Cozumel, it was a first for our family. Great service from the following people: Santiago at the back pool - He was always smiling and went above and beyond. Joseph and Janet from El Patio- Joseph provided SUPERIOR service hands down, best waiter at the hotel. Kids club - Manuel and the petite girl, they were fun and kept things hopping. Roger and Krystal from Portofino excellent. Gloria who made our eggs every day and special tortillas - loved her had a smile on her face daily.
Just remember the beach is rocky, and to bring water shoes, otherwise you feet will hurt really bad. We went snorkeling daily and saw lot's of fish and coral etc.(and it was free for 2 hours). The Spa - Beautiful and lovely, they should advertise to the guests especially for girls that they do hair braiding. I inquired and was pleased they did do that at the spa. Other guests saw my daughters hair and then went and had it done. I told the, they need to advertise as they would get lots of business :)
Bring your own cooler cups, we saw people had there own which would have been better than the plastic ones they have. Definitely get to the pool early to get your chairs, every day we went down by 6am. While the lunches were the same every day by the pools the food was good. Make sure you go early for El Patio as they don't take reservations and there is sometimes a wait of an hour or more. Mexican buffet was good and fun. Foam party was hysterical with the foam as high as 5 - 6 feet. Bring your own blow up rafts, balls or whatever if you want to use in the pool. We went on the all day Jeep Caravan tour which was good it was nice to see the whole island. We also swam with the dolphins :). The only thing that was annoying to us were the little teenie bugs in the room on the counters and bathroom counters. But then again that's part of being on a island. Overall we had an excellent time, we met amazing people.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor corner room overlooking the back pool, great location
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Been to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel? Share your experiences!