“Hotel 6, they'll leave the light on.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sunscape Sabor Cozumel

You added Sunscape Sabor Cozumel to your Saves list
Sunscape Sabor Cozumel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 12.9 Carretera Costera Sur, Cozumel 77600, Mexico (Formerly Sabor Cozumel Resort and Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #32 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Hotel 6, they'll leave the light on.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I don't know where to start, the room was missing a louver in the bathroom, they put a screen on it and offered to change rooms or upgrade to "SECRETS" next door for $700.00. Or, we could wait one day and move rooms at no charge. We stayed where we were, they fixed the stopped up bath tub. You were limited to two beers a day in your room, if you wanted more tough. The restaurants were mediocre at best. The El Patio and the Sea Side Grill were the best as they were ala carte. It took the bartenders 6 hours to watch 60 minutes. The totally ignored you until they were ready.
The price was okay, but would have paid another 200-300 for nicer accommodations

Room Tip: try to face west the sunset views are breathtaking. The dive shop at Secrets is first class the the...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Our very first experience upon arrival, was our room type (king, ocean front) was not available, BUT, they could put us in an upgraded room, for, another $270 US for the week. And it just went downhill from there. The rooms were dysfunctional, curtains missing, outside tubs, not usable, dilapidated bathrooms, air conditioning units not functional, Shower difficult to enter and exit safely, I fell once, almost broke my arm. Food and drink were just marginal. All inclusive, yes, if you consider Mac and Cheese, with hot dogs, all inclusive. Breakfast was the best meal of the day. We even tried to "upgrade" our dinner meals, but it was not possible. They just couldn't handle it. Then, the timeshare process, they just kept hounding us, over, and over, very aggressive, we went to a presentation, and the fraud and deception was overt, the entire process was very scary, intimidation, the kept our I.D. and refused to return it. Ultimately, we ended up signing up for a very small package, just to get our documents back, and safely leave the country. I would recommend NOT going to this property, and NOT going on a timeshare presentation. They will promise you just about anything to sell to you, and their thugs will keep you there for 4.5 hours of your precious vacation. Run, don't walk from this property. I never felt safe there, and the locks on the doors were either not working properly, or not working very well. When we complained, they just wanted to upgrade our room for a fee. It just never ended. I would not recommend this property, for anyone I know, or the general traveling public. This is my 8th time to Mexico, and 3rd to Cozumel, and this trip was just scary, Mexico, and Unlimited Vacation Club timeshares is off my list, and not to be trusted.

Room Tip: Choose a different property
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Leetonia, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This is our third time at an all-inclusive and the second at a Sunscape resort. This particular resort was the cleanest we have seen so far. It's not just the lack of bugs, but just in general everything was clean and neat. When we arrived (Jan. 2015) it was not very crowded at all. We paid for a garden view room and were treated to an ocean front, one bedroom suite! We have no idea why we got that room, but we were not complaining.

Beach: White sandy beach, but walking into the water was tricky because some spots were rocky and others were merely small stones. Take a look around before deciding where to get into the water. I stuck to the area in front of our building, so I don't know about the area over near the lobby. My guess is that it isn't quite as rocky over there since there is where the water equipment (kayak, paddleboard) is kept.

Chairs on beach: The paper you get each day with activity updates says that chairs are not to be reserved and that items left after 30 minutes will be removed. That doesn't really happen, from what I saw. Every morning, I saw people out as early as 7:30 putting a towel on a chair and walking away. One woman grabbed 8 chairs at 7:30 and never returned (I later saw her group by the pool). People kept staring at the chairs, unsure if they should take them. My thought - take them. This is everyone's vacation, not just theirs. I can see where the staff really don't have time to constantly walk the beach and time the dropping of towels, so it's really not a complaint about the staff. People just aren't very concerned about each other where the holding-of-the-chairs are concerned. I guess it's a pet peeve of mine!

Food: Overall, the food is ok. At breakfast, there is a woman making fresh omelettes with the ingredients you pick or just eggs of any type. The Market Place restaurant (adults only, to the left of the main area) seemed better than the main buffet. The counter over by the pool serves nachos, hamburgers, and hot dogs. The onion rings are pretty good (see the picture), as were the nachos. The burger was ok -- nothing special. Overall, you won't starve even if you are picky. The food serving areas were very clean. The biggest complaint was really that waiters were supposed to bring you drinks and there were times no one ever offered to bring me anything - it was like they didn't realize no one had helped me, I guess. I only ever drank Sprite and coffee and I didn't tip, so maybe that played into it, but regardless there were a few times where I didn't get anything to drink. So, if that happens to you, just be more forceful than I was and speak up.

Wifi: there is free wifi in the lobby, but it really doesn't accommodate too many connections at once. If you see a lot of people in the lobby scowling, that is probably what's happening, lol. Just know that it might take 10-15 minutes to get connected. Once you are, it's not very fast but it did work.

Staff: Overall, they are friendly and helpful, just not always fast. Since I was on vacation, I relaxed a bit myself and didn't fret too much about it. However, if you are expecting immediate attention you may get a bit annoyed. We really felt like they were doing their best and they were friendly about it, so it really was a good experience. I mean, as we were sitting on our patio the waiter at the bar pool would stop by occasionally and ask if we wanted anything. They really all seemed like nice, friendly people even after you told them "no" to whatever they were offering. We did not let the maids in our room to clean while we were there so I had to ask for water, pop, or towels, which worked just fine. Speaking of towels, the towels around the pool are huge and orange and they do not use a towel card (1 towel per card at Sunscape in Curacao) so you can get a clean towel as often as you want at the pool area! It's little thing like that which are nice.

Scuba: the set-up is a little strange. You go to the diving center to pay, but you have to walk to the pier in front of the other resort next door to catch your boat. If you have your own gear, it's just a 10 minute walk, but it's still a 10 minute walk with all your own gear (I know, it's still worth it!). Overall, diving was ok. The guides that my partner had seemed more intent on getting from underwater point A to underwater point B. They completely missed some really great things (sleeping turtles, swimming turtles to the left, coral on the wall with little creatures, free swimming moray eel, etc.) because they were so set on getting to the "end" location of the dive. So, if you are the type of diver who wants to slow down and investigate, you really need to speak up and say so. I don't know if they will accommodate you, but you really need to ask. If you are ok with blasting through remarkable reefs with life all over just to get to something else (that may or may not be as colorful), you should be fine. For some people, it's enough to say "I dove Cozumel" while for others they want to say "I investigated the reef at Cozumel." so just be prepared. Overall, he said it was decent diving though. I mean, he has never seen a free swimming moral eel, so that was pretty spectacular!

Snorkeling the bay: there were some decent sized lobsters out there, if you look for them. The fish are about what you would expect for that size bay. I expected a bit more corals, but I guess it is just a small bay in front of a resort. It's worth the swim to investigate!

Overall, we did have a very nice time at the resort and would consider a repeat visit!

Welland, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Just got in from cozumel and the sabor!! Had a great time. It's all about the staff!!! Whatever training they are getting it is working!!! Great great customer service. Asked to be in The same building with our Four friends and they did just so. Building 36. Great views !! Stayed by the pool all week! Had a great time. Only down side. The beach is VERY narrow. And hard to walk on! Oh well. The food was great. Always something good to eat. Great blender drinks. All and all a wonderful place to stay. Thanks!!!

Room Tip: Ocean view from building 35 and 36.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Waupun, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My husband and I just returned from a 11 day stay at the Sunscape. We have been to Cozumel 6 times, and this was our 1st time at the Sunscape. Wonderful resort. The staff was superb! Helpful in every way possible, and always with a smile. The room was comfortable and clean, the housekeeping staff did an amazing job every day. The food was good, the buffet was good, you could always find something to enjoy. The Mexican specialty restaurant was very good, I would recommend the fajitas or the fish, and there specialist soup- out of this world. The Sea Side Grill was also very good, again, you could always find something to enjoy, they do great quesadillas at lunch and awesome pork for dinner. DaMario's had pretty good pizza. The resort was very clean, nicely spread out so that it never seemed crowded. But the staff is what made this resort so wonderful. They all had a smile, and were very willing to help. Special thanks to Antonio (bellman)- he was full of great information about the resort, the island, and how to find what we were looking for (thanks for the ice cream), and went out of his way to make sure all our questions were answered and needs taken care of. Another wonderful thank you to Yaharira and Jair at the front desk. Again, they were so helpful and took great strides to make sure our stay was perfect. And to Pablo (buffet) and Elena (beach & grill) on the wait staff. They always made us feel special, and worked tremendously hard to make sure we had all we wanted. Thanks for a wonderful stay, we will recommend to others!!

Indianapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We spent a week at this facility in January 2015. The accommodations were adequate but nothing special. We all but had to beg to move from a twin bed room to a queen size bed room. The infrastructure of the room was also adequate. The air conditioner worked fine and the shower had plenty of pressure and plenty of hot water. Marcellena, our housekeeper, kept the room immaculately clean. I would highly recommend requesting her, if possible. The facilities were also adequate including the two (2) pools - one at the front of the facility which was always noisy and the other on the other end of the property which was a quiet refuge. The bars were plentiful which helps the folks that are there to take fullest advantage of the all-you-can-guzzle aspect of this all-inclusive. Not a priority for my girlfriend and me but a source of occasional amusement as we watched the newly arrived guests head to the bars even before changing out of their cold-weather clothing. With the expected exception of the Mexican restaurant for dinner, the food was mediocre. We tried every restaurant once and only returned to the Mexican restaurant and the buffet at the sister hotel (Aura or Secrets) next door - The Marketplace - more than once. We dined off-property twice with excellent results which I will cover in another review. A couple of members of the staff stood out - Marcellena, as I mentioned; Antonio - a bell hop and Leonardo - the bartender at the quiet pool. The main purpose of our trip was SCUBA Diving and relaxation. Our 1st dive we did with "Dive House" which was located on property at our resort. The rest of our dives we did with "Palancar" which was located next door at Aura/Secrets. Both experiences were good but Palancar was better as they were less expensive. The diving was AWESOME. Very short boat rides to numerous beautiful locations with dives in the 40' to 80' range. From a relaxation standpoint, the resort was perfect. The beach is immaculately clean (in fact it is cleaned of seaweed and other debris every morning) and there are no Mexican Salespeople hawking jewelry, pottery, etc. on the beach. Lastly, rent a car and drive around the island to the "wild side" with a stop at Bob Marley's bar on the tip. The view on the other side of the island is very different (wild) and quiet beautiful. If you are looking for great access to SCUBA Diving (and/or great Snorkeling - check out the nearby Money Bar) in a relaxing setting with pleasant, accommodating staff and beautiful sunsets don't hesitate to choose this facility. P.S. Bring plenty of $1.00 bills and try not to use ATMs. I got my debit card numbers stolen and the thieves have tried using the card ten (1) times, that I know of. JPMorgan Chase protected me on all of the transactions, thankfully.

Room Tip: WiFi worked very well in the room. Other room recommendations are in my review.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We just sprent a week at this resort and were very pleased with the experience. Never put a foot in the pool spent all of our time snorkeling. The entertainment crew was wonderful Ramon, William AKA Batman, Santana, Yessica and Noc. The room was adequate clean Deluxe tropical view small room but ok. The food was good and we were always able to get into the restaurants for dinner. The beaches are sandy but 2 foot in the water it is very rocky you will need some type of water shoes. The snorkeling was faboulous. Overall a very good vacation and I will return to this resort. Angel at the beach bar is awesome. The spa was very nice.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel? Share your experiences!