“Family Vacation Cozumel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sunscape Sabor Cozumel

You added Sunscape Sabor Cozumel to your Saves list
Sunscape Sabor Cozumel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 12.9 Carretera Costera Sur, Cozumel 77600, Mexico (Formerly Sabor Cozumel Resort and Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #32 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Dallas, Texas
“Family Vacation Cozumel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

If you can overlook the rooms not being five star then you can have a great vacation hear.

We arrived with our large family of 25. We had prearranged that our rooms be somewhat close together but that did not happen. I can't entirely blame the hotel as our flight was delayed and we arrived about 4 hours late. We had a total of 10 rooms. Not one of the tens rooms had a mini fridge. We asked and they said they were not available. The rooms did not have any bottled water either. We just had big jugs of water. We asked and they said they only had the big jugs of water. We had ice buckets but the resort did not have ice machines. We had to go to the bars to get our ice buckets filled. Two of our family members had to switch rooms because of broken ACs.

The TV reception was not great. We had to have the batteries replaced in our TV remote, safe remote and AC remote as each stopped working. The AC stopped working and began to leak. There was a leak in the restroom ceiling. The water pressure was bad and we could never get the temperature right. I could only smell the sulfur smell when walking to our rooms once in a while but not in the room.

That being said, we knew this was not 5 star hotel and we are not high maintenance so we rolled with the flow. The resort is clean and staff at the bars and restaurants are all amazing. The resort is not super crowded so there is never a long wait for food or any of the activities. We saw all the evening shows which were fun. We snorkeled, kayaked and used the catamaran. The pools were all clean and never too crowded. The drinks were all great (the cups are a bit small you might want to bring your own).

The food was good in all of the restaurants. We went to the Italian, Mexican, buffet and pizza place and they were all great. Guillermo at the Seaside Grille is super amazing!!

Wifi in the lobby is spotty at best. The desires bar is great at night.

All in all we had a great vacation because we could overlook the room. BTW when we called about anything in the room they were right on it. If you require more luxury in your rooms this may not be the place to stay. We enjoyed our vacation at Sunscape Sabor Cozumel.

Room Tip: Mosquitos are killer here so make sure to bring bug spray. Also, don't forget the water shoes...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SusczeConcierge, eConcierge at Sunscape Sabor Cozumel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear TexasTravelor223,

Thank you for taking the time to write an informative review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

It is nice to hear that you and your group enjoyed your holiday with us and that you were satisfied with our staff, food, drinks, snorkeling, water sports and cleanliness. We would also like to point out that we have taken note of your concerns and suggestions and they will be forwarded to the respective manager for their deliberation.

We hope to welcome you home again in the near future to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel so that we can provide you with another wonderful vacation in Cozumel.

info.seacz@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This place has to be the worst place I have ever stayed. The hotel staff doesn't care about the guests at all. Had to wait 3 hours for a room that was not what we paid for and had a broken air conditioner. Couldn't get drinks in mini bar. After 3 days of complaining finally got into the right room with a working air conditioner and the shower was broken. The bellboy tried to rip us off on a taxi fare. The hotel credit advertised is a scam. It's a coupon book to spend more money in the resort. Limited food to guest when suppose to be all inclusive. Had a constant flow,of unhappy guests complaining at the front desk. Employees not happy with new management and shared that information often and unfortunately the guest pay the price. I wouldn't stay there ever again.

Dear Sstep1234,

I apologize on behalf of the Management at Sunscape Sabor Cozumel as we are most disappointed to hear that your recent stay with us fell below your expectations. We apologize for the inconveniences caused by our shortcomings with regards to maintenance, lack of attentive staff and limited food options. Please be assured that incidents such as these are not the norm and steps are being taken to ensure that this does not happen to future guests. Your concerns have been addressed and brought to the attention of Management along with the issues you encountered during your stay.

I am extremely sorry that I did not get an opportunity to meet you in person. I do hope we are going to be able to restore your confidence in Sunscape Sabor Cozumel in the future so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We absolutely loved this resort! We've been to Cozumel before and finally found a hotel where we would return. First our room - we were on the third floor and there are no elevators which made carrying our luggage up all the stairs a bit challenging but whatever )we only had to do it once and they will do it for you we just took our luggage wiith us). We didnt notice any problems with the water smell? it was fine. water pressure was good the room was big - we had to 2 queen beds even though we requested at reservation, and then were told at check-in we would have a King - again not the end of the world for us we slept in different beds and it was fine (although we could have shared it was nice to stretch out :) ). Beds were super comfy. we did have ants in our room. We first noticed them behind the mini fridge and the came and sprayed immediately and we didnt see them there again. However in the bathroom we later noticed them all over the wall above the counter. They were super tiny and have no idea where they came from? they werent on the counter by our stuff but were still in the bathroom. We didnt call to have them spray (im not sure why?) they didnt bother our stuff but its gross espically thinking about it now.
The pool bar is where we hung out most of the days. Franklin is the best bartender - he knew us by name and remembered what we drank. Tip him - hes awesome!! The pool water was super warm - it was mostly an adult pool. Parents should really respect that this a pool bar aka adult pool and keep their kids in their kids in one of the other two pools but whatever.
My boyfriend is a diver and he dived from the resort. He wasnt thrilled about the reef they went too but still it was so worth the price - $75 compared to $90 where he normally dives in town and we didnt have to pay the cab to go to town ($15 ea way btw) I went on the snorkeling tour through the resort which I HIGHLEY RECOMMEND - they take to you the Starfish beach (plus Columbia reef and Palancar Reef) way on the south side of the island - coolest thing i have ever seen. Its a glass bottom boat but get on first bc the glass is small and only at the front of the boat. it was about 3 hours for $45. There is a photographer and they have beer on the boat.
The restaurants were good. We preferred El Patio - food was outstanding - we had to wait a while for a table as their were 6 of us but so good. Disappointed we could only eat there once. El Portifino was good too - we had the beef wrapped in asapargus. It was really good.
Breakfast at the Market Cafe was outstanding every morning. But be mindful of the birds as they will go after your food if you turn your head away from your plate.
The grill was good too espically for lunch or to get a snack.
The staff was very friendly - however the one day we forget to leave money for the maid she hardly cleaned our room which was kind of rude considering we tipped her well the other days. she only made the bed. Left dirty dishes, didnt leave us towels just took all towels out, didnt leave us toliet paper...
Not having a lot to do at night wasnt that big of a deal as we were there for the sun and to be outside during the day. If we wanted a trip where we would be out all night partying we would go to Cancun. Cozumel is not that kind of town period. You party during the day in Cozumel. They arent stingy on drinks in the sun. Cant wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Room #2534 - didnt have an ocean view but it was updated, on the third floor, air worked GREAT.
Dear teachpink14,

We are thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us and that you will be come back . We are pleased that you enjoyed our amazing resort with delicious food, our diving offered at the resort and friendly staff who ensures every day is filled with unlimited fun.

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to offer you an even more gratifying service experience.

Niceville, Florida, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

If you are expecting a 4 or 5 star place you will be disappointed it is in my opinion at best a 3 star. Just a place to lay your head at night and with our room, we made three calls for air conditioner problems. The beach and pools are fine. The food overall was average. Kudos to the Mexican style restaurant, the Italian style one needs work. The buffet style restaurant; cover your plates because if no one is at your table your food will be pounced on by swarming birds during breakfast and lunch!! If you are just here to get some sun you should have a great time. Would I suggest staying here? For what I expected and from previous vacations. No is the answer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
SusczeConcierge, eConcierge at Sunscape Sabor Cozumel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Darryl R,

We are so glad to see that you enjoyed our pools, beach, Mexican restaurant and some of the other food provided at the resort .With that being said, we genuinely regret hearing that you were disappointed with the problem with birds and maintenance issues in your room but however guarantee that this is definitely not a true depiction of our standards of operation and certainly not the typical experience of our guests.. Every point will be forwarded to each Department Head in order to implement the necessary corrective measures to improve the areas you are mentioning are under review.

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I have been to Cozumel several other times, but had not stayed here. We were there for 8 days June 29th - July 7th and I traveled with my now husband, parents, brother and his wife and my neice. We had 3 rooms. We booked ocean front rooms on Travelocity which were the best that Travelocity offered. There were some really great things about this place, and some I would change or correct.

The good:
You cannot beat the view or the location of our rooms. I spend little time in my room on vacation, unlike the rest of the family. We were in 3224 and shared a balcony with my brother's room. That was great! My parents were on the first floor but had two queen beds and reception said they couldn't move them. Funny since the resort was very empty. My brother, on the other hand, had a king bed and was traveling with a child. No way to change the room. Parents have a hard time with stairs, so they decided to keep the rooms as offered.

We were right beside the pool bar and very close to the main restaurant. I won't comment to much on the food, as I am too picky of an eater. I pretty much lived on the quesadillas from the pool grill. They were delicious. There was other food that was really pretty good. My family loved the breakfast the best. But, the food in the buffets was cold. I don't know why they can't keep it warm. We like to venture off and eat out even though it's all-inclusive.

Most importantly, the Dos XX was free flowing. As long as they don't run out of that - I'm very happy!

The bartenders and wait staff were so fun and just awesome. I have zero complaints on wait service.

They did quite a party for 4th of July. They decorated and brought in a rock cover band. Pretty funny to hear Welcome to the Jungle in a mexican accent. "Choo can have anyting you want" LOVED IT! They had a huge buffet set up, but again the food was cold. I stuck with the guy doing the grilling. The steak that night was perfect.

Where they can improve (the bad):
-The $200 resort credit is just a ploy to get you to listen to the timeshare spill. Knowing that, we chose not to pursue.

-Our bed had rust on the mattress corners and was hard as a rock. I did not sleep well at all. Our a/c was very cold, but sounded like a freight train constantly. Good for drowing out the noise from the bar I guess.

-We had a hard time getting hot water. I came in off a dive after being soaked by rain and a storm, and I had to take a cold shower. Not good.

-I feel like when they say completely remodeled, it means more than just paint on the walls

Tours

We went the channakab park to swim with dolphins. We booked this in the lobby of the hotel with Jesus. We were told that the packages included transportation back to the resort. After a run around at the park and being directed to several different people, we took it up with Jesus at the hotel. Needless to say it was now not a part of the package. My husband and him got into a heated argument because it is the principal. Bottom line. My advice is to get a taxi and make arrangements with the park itself. I never minded paying the cab back but it was quite different when I felt scammed out of it. I should note that Jesus apologized for his behavior and promised to credit us part of the taxi ride back to the airport. Sure he means well ,cough cough, that did not happen either.

Wedding on the beach

Patty Gomez was our wedding coordinator. Everyone managed to pull this surprise off without me knowing. She did a wonderful job! From the initial meeting to the event everything was just how we wanted it!

I won't return to this resort. I just think based on experience there are nicer places to stay. And I prefer to be a little further south for diving.

Room Tip: Ocean front is the only way to go. Everything is really close in the resort so that is nice- I mean...
Dear Ginmihelle,

We are happy to see that there are elements of the resort that you quite enjoyed such as the ocean view, entertainment 4th of July, and wedding however, we are very concerned to know that your experience did not live up to our usual level of service offered at Sunscape Sabor Cozumel. I have passed your review to the General Manager so that we can improve the overall preventative maintenance programs and lack of customer service. This property has a lot of potential and we are still improving everyday.

We are sincerely sorry the hear that your disappointment of our resort but nevertheless hope that we will once again have the honor of welcoming you back to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel so that we can redeem ourselves and offer you the service that you deserve.

Edmond, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We went June 29-July 5. My boyfriend and I were in room #2911 and the other couple we were with were in #2814. We both asked for ocean front first floor with a king bed. We got that and they got everything but the king bed... but they didn't mind. Room overall was nice. Bed was very hard and there was some sort of leak in the bathroom ceiling because there was soft spots from water.
Service: Great maid service. Put a tip and a note of what you want in the fridge and they will do it and be very generous with it. Front desk people were good. Trip planning people were great.. not too pushy like some have said on here. Jesus and Kim helped us and they were awesome!!
Bars: Bartenders were awesome! Franklin at the swim up bar was great! And Enrique at the Stingray Bar was AMAZING! ask for an Enrique special! you won't be disappointed.
Food: Sea Side Grill - was good. Only burgers, quesadillas, and nachos. If they are out of something.. if you wait 10 minutes they all of a sudden have it.
El Portafino - was bad. Very small portions. (guys make sure to were pants, they'll send you back). Pretty sure we got food poisoning from the Pasta. The salmon was good but extremely small. The beef with asparagus was super chewy and disgusting. Overall for this to be their best/fanciest restaurant it sucks!
Da Mario - Pizza was amazing! Bruchetta was pretty good too!
Market Café - this is the buffet, and for an all inclusive buffet was great! However there was one lady hostess in there that was rather rude. We didn't have shoes (came straight from beach) and she yelled at us. I'm sorry but the dress code in some places is a little strict.
Resort Credit / Coupons - you get $200 but it's not $200 to use as you please. $100 is for spa but you can only use $40 at a time and the cheapest massage is around $100 and that's for only 25 minutes. You can use $10 for wine, but again get ready to fork out $30 or more plus your credit for a bottle. Overall they are pointless.
Overall this hotel was good... much better than ones I've stayed at on the North side of the island. I just think they need to work on their fancier restaurants because they kind of suck... especially since we got sick from them.

Room Tip: Villa's number 28-30 are in the best location. Right in the middle of everything.. but not clos...
Dear MegEwy,

Thank you for your very complete and constructive feedback as it provides us with information that is helpful in identifying those areas of opportunity we may be overlooking .Unfortunately I can see that you did not enjoy all the services we provided to you, and I do apologize for any shortcomings from our side. The areas you have raised are under review with the Department Heads.

stillwater oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We recently returned home from a 6 day family vacation to Cozumel. We stayed at the Sunscape Sabor Cozumel. The property was very clean, the staff very friendly, the food was as good as you are going to get in an all-inclusive resort in Cozumel. The facilities were as good as could be expected. We have been to Mexico 6 times and five years. This resort is definitely family friendly as we have two small children. Great family experience.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend the beachfront rooms. It made for great scenery.
Dear David M,

It is gratifying to hear that you and your family had a great holiday with us and that you were quite pleased with our staff, food, clean facilities and beach front atmosphere. I am sure your informative review will also serve to motivate other travelers who might be thinking of visiting our property. In addition your positive recommendation of our property will serve to encourage our staff who work tirelessly to ensure our guests’ receive total satisfaction.

info.seacz@secretsresorts.com

Been to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel? Share your experiences!