“Overall, We Enjoyed It” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunscape Sabor Cozumel

Save Saved
You added Sunscape Sabor Cozumel to your Saves list
Sunscape Sabor Cozumel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 12.9 Carretera Costera Sur, Cozumel 77600, Mexico (Formerly Sabor Cozumel Resort and Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot Hot Hot Savings!
Ranked #35 of 58 hotels in Cozumel
Muskegon, Michigan
“Overall, We Enjoyed It”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is another case where I liked a resort better than the people I was travelling with, though I tend to not let little things stand in the way of enjoying an experience. In this case, I will dispense with the bad stuff first: you better bring water shoes if you plan on going swimming at the beach! This actually has less to do with the resort and more to do with Cozumel in general since you are talking about a pretty rocky island. For that reason, it can be difficult to find any beach on the island that doesn't have a lot of rocks out in the water, though locals will often go around to a couple of nice beaches on the non-resort side of the island like we did one day.

Also, the seafood selection at the resort is truly great: you can have any fish you want, so long as its grouper. This was a terrific running joke the entire time we were there. "Hey, what's the catch of the day?" "Grouper!". Not like there is anything wrong with grouper, but after a week of it, its starts to get a little old.

Ok, with the negative out of the way, we can turn to the positive. Absolutely loved, loved our room. When I say it was right on the beach, I mean it was right on the beach. Walk out the patio, jump the rail and you are standing on it. Awesome! I think that is so much cooler than these huge, new resorts that are built around their pools. The developers did a great job of getting a lot of beach front and arranging many of the rooms right along it. Its unlikely that my rating would have been anything more than a 3 if this were not the case, so if we had been assigned a different room, this review would be entirely different. And, hey, if you ask a member of the staff to get a fresh coconut, cut it open and serve it to your family, they'll go out of their way to do that with a smile on their face!

The resort is a little bit of a hike from the main commercial area, however, that's pretty typical of all the resorts in Cozumel. Getting on a moped and exploring that way was really great to do, though it can be a pretty big island when you are getting around at only 20 miles an hour. Still, we could check things out and kill almost an entire day in the literally hundreds of stores they have near the cruise ship terminal.

Last but not least: Cozumel was the single best scuba diving experience I have ever had. The coral growths are just amazing and, subsequently, the aquatic life is spectacular. Actually, I would have slept in a tent and ate out of tin cans, just for that experience alone.

Room Tip: Get on the beach at any cost.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
SusczeConcierge, eConcierge at Sunscape Sabor Cozumel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear David B,

Thank you for taking the time to write an informative review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are honored to have had the opportunity to serve you. Your comments about our, ocean front rooms and quality of our pool and scuba diving was most motivating.

We look forward to welcoming you home again soon and hope you will not hesitate to spend another wonderful vacation in paradise at Sunscape Sabor Cozumel.

405 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Alvord, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I will start by saying that I am normally an easy going person. I do not get upset by ants or small bugs at a hotel or the occasional dirty glass. Especially a hotel on an island. I have stayed at a couple of All-Inclusive resorts and enjoyed both of them. I expected to have a similar experience at the Sunscape Sabor...I was wrong. My first impression of the resort was that it was a nice clean hotel. We were taken to our room, that was supposed to be an ocean front king bed. It was ocean front...but two doubles. I asked the front desk if there had been a mix up with our reservation but was informed that a king bed was a request and the double bed was the same price as well as being the only thing that was available until the next day. We choose not to move seeing as we were only staying 3 nights and it was more of an inconvenience to move. We would have had to be available to make the swap after 3pm the next day and we already had plans. (strike 1) After a few minutes in our freshly cleaned room we noticed a smell...sewage...from the bathtub drain. and the mini fridge in our room had no water, 2 cokes, 2 beer...they never restocked the drinks but did leave water bottles after my boyfriend tipped the cleaning lady. (strike 2) We were also informed that they had 4 restaurants on the property, however 2 of them had a dress code that we were unaware of so that made 2 that we were allowed to visit. If we had read somewhere that there was a dress code we would have packed the "proper attire" although I have to ask why a dress code?? We are on vacation aren't we?!? (strike 3) The 2 places we were allowed to enter were the main buffet which was open for breakfast and lunch during our stay. The other was a snack bar for part of the day and then a seafood/steak joint for 2 nights of our stay. We waiting for over an hour for a seat at the seaside grill only to be served half raw steaks, soggy salad and share dessert with the local ants. There was a Mexican Buffet on the Friday. It was very good, but I understand from overhearing conversations that if you were not in line shortly after they opened the buffet for service you were out of luck as they ran out of food. The last night of our stay we returned from our running around the island hungry only to be told that the main buffet was closed, the snack bar was closed and the seaside grill did not open for a hour so we could wait 1 hour for the seaside grill to open or go back into town and eat or buy long pants and a sleeved shirt for my boyfriend (dress code). (OMG!!) We chose to spend our last night on the island with the locals and ate like kings. The Sabor would be a nice hotel. It is a terrible all-inclusive. You can stay much cheaper at other hotels and buy your food from the locals which is better quality or buy a little more and stay at one of the better all inclusive resorts. I will opt for a less expensive hotel and eat at the many choices available on Cozumel. I will add that Cozumel was wonderful and I will return...but I will not stay at the Sabor.

Dear Brandii B,

We are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. Your comments have been noted and we assure you that we intend to look into your suggestions as it concerns our water, service, the eating facilities. It was unfortunate that you had not requested to speak with a member of our Management team who would have been happy to address your concerns. With regards to our dress code in the evenings we have a more casually elegant atmosphere which is listed on our website.

Your positive comment about the cleanliness of the property meant a lot to us as it means we managed to leave a memorable impression in those areas.

We are sincerely sorry the hear that you do not intend to return to our resort but nevertheless hope that we will once again have the honor of welcoming you back to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel so that we can redeem ourselves and offer you the service that you deserve.

Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We have been going to this resort since it was the Reef Club and I guess the best way to describe our most recent visit was disappointing. First the good. The grounds we neat and well kept and the staff for the most part was friendly and service oriented. The bad parts were. The water smells, sulfur (rotten egg smell). The water was off one night for a while and when it came back on it was gray. I think they may have tried some type of filter to kill the smell and it may have gotten better for a couple days but still smelled when we left. The dinner menus are limited and after about 4 days you pretty much have exhausted the choices. Last year you were able to go next door to Aura and have dinner and one of their restaurants and that helped break things up and made for a nice evening, they have taken that away. The worst part of the week was the long wait and slow service in the main restaurants. One night after being there for over 2 hours and still not getting our entrees we just left and went to the grill. At the grill they were sorry for our problems and were going to fix us a special dinner, so we gave it a try. After about 35 mins it was about 9:30 and we had started trying for dinner at 6:00, we got up and left out of just frustration. After our week at Sunscape Sabor as they call it now, I would need a really good reason to go back.

Dear Scuba2Alabama,

With that being said, we genuinely regret hearing that you were disappointed with your recent stay at Sunscape but however guarantee that this is definitely not a true depiction of our standards of operation and certainly not the typical experience of our guests. We nonetheless apologize for any dissatisfaction and we will certainly share your comments with all the respective department managers in order to avoid any other negative opinions.

As returning guests we take your concerns very seriously and I assure you that we have opened more restaurant options so that we can accommodate everyone in a more timely fashion. In addition to that we are offering more changes with regards to the menus so that guests have feel like they have more of a variety. The service standard has improved due to the fact that we have been sharing our reviews with our staff and they are eager to ensure that familiar faces like yours decide to return in the near future.

We sincerely hope that we will once again have the honor of welcoming you back to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel so that we can redeem ourselves and offer you the service that you deserve.

eConcierge/Social media Coordinator
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed at Sunscape Sabor 4/26 and were a little disappointed. Online states that they have more restaurants than what are open a swim up bar which is closed and room service which is to an option. Even with those downfalls I think that they are working hard to morose their newest resort. Everyday we had some sort of improvement, when we arrived we had a stiff wool blanket close to what you would see on a horse. Soon after they changed for a comfortable mattress pad and duvet. They changed the ice bin, no ice maker available tho.....changed the coffee cups, I dock statin instead of alarm clock replaced the fridge and the fans too. Overall, our stay was great the diving was amazing, the beach is the best on the island and the food was good, however with very limited choices.
My advice to them would be to have the swim up bar open, a bar or drink service n the north pool and the buffet open at night. With those small changes it would be a very desirable place to go. On a positive note, since they were newly opened they upgraded us to oceanfront a the same price so we seem to have not cared too much about the small nuisances.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kristinep88,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

Thank you for your very complete and constructive feedback as it provides us with information that is helpful in identifying those areas of opportunity we may be overlooking .Unfortunately I can see that you did not enjoy all the services we provided to you, and I do apologize for any shortcomings from our side. The areas you have raised are under review with the Department Heads.

On another note It was very rewarding to read that despite the fact that we did not meet your expectations you still enjoyed a week of diving, eating good food and our beautiful beach.

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I have traveled enough to know good and beyond BAD and this was beyond BAD. Room when we got in sheet was torn make-up on pillow case and bug in bed. Bathroom had a very bad sewage smell no hot water and just plain dirty , the pictures you see are not what you get. On to the food pizza palor was closed so was the Italian so the other two rotated depending on what night it was. Because there reason was new mangement took over and they got rid of half there staff. And what we did eat was horrible. Oh and the swim up bar you say you have because there was suppose to be two pools was also closed. The only good thing was because we went through Apple vacation and we moved to a new resort the Iberostar which was great. Many people also left and complained this is not how you run a Hotel close and do what you have to and then re-open. Just there April 18, 2013 left April 20, 2013 never will go back. For those who think this place is ok or good your standards are either low or you just haven't traveled much. Rebecca.F

Room Tip: Never go less than a 5, you get what you pay for. And a least if you use apple they will move you.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Happybec,

On behalf of the management I apologize profusely about your experience at our resort but I do hope we are going to be able to restore your confidence into our brand in your next stay. It is hoped that you will allow us to serve you again as it would be a privilege to have the chance to host you, with a view to exceed your expectations at Sunscape Sabor. We had just reopened and unfortunately we were still not quite finished with the overall renovation of the resort. However I can assure you that over the last two months there have been significant improvement in terms of amenities and upgrades in terms of bedding and restaurants.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

I've been here a little over 24 hours and I know it's a huge mistake. I'm comparing to my stay at the Catalonia in the Riviera Maya a year ago and I'm so mad I didn't go back. There are very few food options and it's not very good. Tonight they have the Italian open and a small restaurant by the main pool. The main restaurant had 4 dinner options but when we tried to order at 8 they had only 2. Don't expect to be served drinks. The wait staff is minimal so you have to walk to the bar yourself.
Our room stinks....smells bad. I. Think it comes from sulfur in the water.
Hanging around the lobby you can hear the disappointment from others.
It's a pretty sad place. Looks nice on the outside but I would recommend looking for another place....

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Reivitt,

I apologize on behalf of the Management at Sunscape Sabor Cozumel as we are most disappointed to hear that your recent stay with us fell below your expectations. We apologize for the inconveniences caused by our shortcomings with regards to maintenance and housekeeping. Please be assured that incidents such as these are not the norm and steps are being taken to ensure that this does not happen to future guests. Your concerns regarding the quality of the food and service in the restaurants and bars has been addressed and brought to the attention of Management along with the issues you encountered with with smell of the water.

I am extremely sorry that I did not get an opportunity to meet you in person. I do hope we are going to be able to restore your confidence in Sunscape Sabor Cozumel in the future so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

Cleveland, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We have been coming to this resort for 9 years, seen it through 4 different ownerships (Rafael Nadal is the current owner) and we have been members of the Reef Club since 2004. We have never been disappointed. The staff is extremely helpful, friendly and courteous. We have so many wonderful memories. We just returned today from another week there and again we weren't disappointed. The staff, from the front desk (Karina and Kinga) to the bellservice (Manuel Poot) is the best, hardworking and friendly and always with a smile. The wait staff at the restaurants, Ismael, Miguel and Marcos at the Market, Manuel and Gaudencio at El Patio, Oscar at Portofino, Julio at Windows and the head waiters, Rosana, Alejandra, Freddy and Rolando, all deserve mention for making our vacation a memorable one. The room was kept immaculate by Maritza, who was always ready to provide more bottled water and extra towels.

This year all the matresses and comforters were replaced, allowing for a very relaxing sleep.

Dear AreJohnsen,

We were really happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent return visit to the hotel and that you were particularly pleased with the service, the friendly staff, the restaurants the new beds and comforters. Guest satisfaction is our main goal at Sunscape Sabor Cozumel and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience again in the near future.

info.seacz@secretsresorts.com

Been to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel? Share your experiences!