“It is "Welcome to my home!"” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #97 of 265 restaurants in Cozumel
Cuisines: Mexican
Berthoud CO
“It is "Welcome to my home!"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

What a great experience!
I like "typical". I want to experience a new place like the people who live there, and this is definitely a way to do it.

Atmosphere--my friend and I walked in to the air conditioned, converted living room with 3 large, long tables. Just grab a seat and choose your lunch from the chalkboard menu. The family pictures are on the wall, the couches pushed aside and you sit family style, next to people from the neighborhood, and people you don't know. Mothers and kids, business men, taxi driver's on break...come in and seem to know one another.

Food--Chicken fajita, and Veggie soufle (not what I expected) more of a stew than the American definition of "souffle". This dish was kind of like a serving of veggies cooked in a Campbell's Cream of _____ and served with rice and beans. The chicken fajita was quite good. The Chilangos tea was so tasty, with citrus and spice, I want the recipe. Meal comes with all the typical local sides. Dessert was offered, but I don't eat dessert right after a meal, so we skipped it.

Price--Can't be beat! My dish was $78Pesos. You go up to the cashier (a cash box at a chair.) and tell her what you had to eat. It's the honor system.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

100% Recommend
St. Louis
“Favorite lunch place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We have been lunching at Los Chilango's for years and this visit was outstanding, as always. Our soup arrived hot and fresh as soon as we were seated. Our kids eagerly await the arrival of the pitcher of "Chilango's Tea" served with every meal. The menu changes daily and for our recent visit, the boys stuck with their old familiar Pechuga Empanizada (thinly sliced, breaded chicken breast). If you request for children, they will do 1/2 orders, each with their own sides. My husband had pork ribs in red sauce, that the meat literally fell off the bone. I had potato croquettes that were stuffed with cheese, served with rice, beans, and a small salad. Warm tortillas and their house salsa rounded out the meals...be careful with the salsa...it is like fire some days! The service was super quick and all meals were priced at less than $6. Nothing like feeding a full meal to a family of 5 for less than $30!!

• Visited March 2013
TEXAS
“DELICIOUS, AND MOST EXPENSIVE ITEM IS $6.00”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was taken here by a couple locals, and saw no other tourists during lunch. Meals come with a really nice tea(safe for gringos)beans and rice, a bowl of soup, chips and salsa and your entree. They had about 8 choices that were less than $5.00 and 3 others that were less than $6.00. Entrees include beef fajitas, chicken fajitas,ribs,cactus flower rellenos. Everything we had was well prepared and tasty. The place is clean, and the owners very nice. My five star rating reflects the taste of the food without respect to the great deal!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hancock, New Hampshire
“Classic cocina economica right in the neighborhood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Los Chilangos is the neighborhood loncheria near our house. It's a small place with only a few tables set in what was originally the family living room. Meals are very inexpensive here and quite tasty.

The menu changes daily, with typically 4-5 options. The extremely inexpensive flan is a nice way to finish up.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
okc
“Geat lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stopped by for lunch one day. They took me in the kitchen and showed me everything they had. The soups and the chicken were great. and at a great price.

• Visited September 2012