“This dedicated dive resort is very good and represents a great travel value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Scuba Club Cozumel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cozumel
Scuba Club Cozumel
Av R Melgar Prol S, Km 1.5, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Second Person Pays Half !
Ranked #7 of 58 hotels in Cozumel
New York, NY
“This dedicated dive resort is very good and represents a great travel value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2009

I spent 5 wonderful days at the Scuba Club Cozumel with a group of friends - some experienced divers and some beginners. Overall, the experience at SCC was very good and the value was top notch. I recommend it highly for divers wanting to enjoy Cozumel's excellent reefs. I will definitely come back again.

Rooms – Large with plenty of space to hang your diving gear. The beds are firm but comfortable. I slept great the entire time. The shower is spacious. The room includes a small refrigerator that we filled with beers from the market down the street. Everything was very clean and well maintained throughout our stay. The maid service was excellent.

Diving – The resort owns enough boats to keep the group sizes manageable. The boats aren't the fastest in Cozumel but they are large and comfortable (toilet included). The dive masters do a fine job of finding interesting fish and critters and will do their best to take you to requested dive sites. I had to do Punta Sur and Devil's Throat and they made that happen for me. There are multiple rinse tanks and plenty of storage lockers (bring your own lock) at the resort. Shore diving is available in front of the resort. It isn't Bonaire but it was nice for a tune-up dive and a night dive.

Food – I enjoyed the convenience of having all of the meals at the resort. Coffee is served at 6:30 followed by a full breakfast at 7:00. Breakfast is served buffet style with some rotation of items including: pancakes, French toast, eggs, omelets, chilaquiles, beans, bacon and hash browns. Fresh fruit, juices, cereal and pastries are also provided. Lunch was my favorite meal of the day at SCC. You order off of a menu that includes several Mexican classics such as carne tacos (my favorite), chile relleno, enchiladas and guacamole. In addition, there is a daily lunch special that you can order instead of something off of the menu. American classics such as a cheese burger and fries are also available if you don’t want Mexican food. Dinner is served in the upstairs dining room and you have three choices that are usually comprised of a fish entree, a chicken of beef entree and a vegetarian entree. Service in the restaurants is good but not great. SCC could staff up in the dining rooms to provide better service. Overall, the quality of food was as good with the lunches being excellent.

Grounds – Very well maintained and very clean. I enjoyed spending my afternoons in the hammocks on the ocean front.

Location – An easy 15 minute walk to downtown and a short 5 minute walk to the supermarket. The location is perfect in my opinion.

Tipping – Tipping is expected so factor that in when considering the total cost of a trip to SCC. The people working there work hard and are very friendly. I was happy to tip them well for good service.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

328 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Hampstead, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

SCC - Overall a nice place.
Pros -
location: convenient to town (10-15 min walk), only a 5 minute walk to the grocery store

dive op: great on-site dive op (also SCC) - our guide Geiser was AWESOME!!!! - well set up for a dive resort with two big rinse tanks, storage lockers big enough for 2 sets of gear or 1 set plus a couple of tanks signed out for afternoon/night diving, private pier a few yards away from the lockers, easy house "reef" access, got blown out one day and it was no hassle using those 2 dives another day.

hotel/rooms: very "authentic" casita style i didn't see two rooms the same, ours was very big and had a nice patio with a bar to hang our wetsuits. room had a fridge so we could stock beer/soda/margarita mix and keep it cold

food: food was OK, about middle of the pack, breakfast buffet somewhat limited choices but decent quality, lunch menu has a reasonable selection and everything i tried was good, dinner is typically a pick from 1 of 3 entrees. I'm kind of picky but was at least one item always worked for me.

Cons -
cost: you really pay for the convenience - $270/night for 2 pp (incl food but only tea/coffee for breakfast) was high. We booked through my local DS with a group trip of 6 nights and they were unwilling to make a deal on the price of a 7th night even though they had plenty of empty rooms;

inflexible: in addition to the extra night (NO bargaining), we opted to drive around on mopeds the day we got blown out and they were unwilling to let us get lunch on our checkout day in return for the one we skipped.

don't get ripped off by the moped guy - The $35 dollar rate wound up being $62 after "taxes and insurance". The insurance has a $500 deductible (probably all they were worth given the number of miles on them). A couple of our group found out the hard way their idea of the cost to repair a damaged one was very inflated.

other comments: you'll hear the tanks start moving around at about 6:45 (at least if you're on that side) - not unexpected for a dive resort, just FYI. Hammocks at the water are a great way to relax. "beach" diving was fun with a good amount of stuff to see in the debris piles but its not a reef. lots of steps to climb if you wind up in one of the top floors. pool is small with small sundeck around it, but it looked clean (never went in). No TV's in rooms.

Overall a nice place and I would consider again if going with dive group because of convenience, but might elect to stay elsewhere if it was just my wife and I (we'd most
likely still dive with SCC).

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

What an awesome 2 week vacation! Our first trip to Cozumel and I researched extensively on TripAdvisor before selecting Scuba Club. The research paid off as we definitely made a good choice. This review will be of the hotel only; I will post a dive report on ScubaBoard under the user name Winterpeg.
Location: Just on the edge of town, 10-15 minute walk to an internet cafe, outdoor concert area, and Chedraui (huge store where you can get anything), 20-25 min walk to the town square. Perfect for those who want to be close to town but not right in the noise and congestion of the main tourist/cruise ship area.
Atmosphere: Quiet. Never saw any kids in the hotel the whole time we were there. No entertainment in the evening, almost everyone there was diving and went to bed early to be up for the boats in the morning. TV's in the dining room but not obtrusive and few watched them except in passing. Staff were friendly and most spoke English. A big plus in staying at a small hotel where everyone is diving with the same op is that we were able to make friends with other guests and have someone to sit with at meals.
Buildings and grounds: Beware there are 4 floors and no elevators. We were on the third floor and initially groaned at the stairs, but liked the view from our room right over the ocean. We backed onto the main drag and there was some traffic noise at night but tolerable, especially if the bathroom door was shut (the bathroom window vented out to the street). Some rooms are bigger than others and ours was small but comfortable and adequate. The stairs and walkways are made of limestone and are bumpy and uneven, so be careful walking, however there were wheelchair ramps and we did see one patron in a wheelchair who was able to negotiate her way around.
Maintenance: The whole place was clean and well-run. We never saw any bugs. Every day we saw staff sweeping and washing floors; they even raked the sand on the beach area. There was a security guard at the entrance gate all the time, and we felt safe. There is no actual beach but there is a sandy area with lounge chairs along the ocean, behind the dock area. There is also a row of hammocks under a palapa right along the water. There is also a good-sized pool; however we never saw anyone put so much as a toe in it, and would recommend it be removed and replace with a hot tub.
Rooms: Beds were hard as expected but comfortable. Pillows were very hard; we almost bought our own at Chedraui but surprisingly, after a couple of days found we got used to the hard ones. There was lots of hot water for showers after diving, which we really appreciated. There are rods on the balconies for drying wet gear, and plastic hangers are provided; however they are not sturdy enough to hold the weight of wet suits, so would suggest to bring a couple of your own heavy-duty hangers. There were lots of big towels and toilet paper (a couple of items I was not sure about before going). Maintenance was prompt when the flapper on our toilet broke; someone was sent to fix it within about half an hour.
Food: we thought it was great. There was a good selection of Mexican food, not too spicy but hot sauce was available. They also had "American food" as an alternative. I was thrilled that they had tea (I don't drink coffee) and Splenda. Overall I would say the food choices were healthier than we have seen at previous resorts - there was always lots of fresh fruit, salads, and some form of beans were a staple at most meals. On our last evening they had the Mexican Fiesta outdoor dinner on the beach, which was a lot of fun.
Overall: great hotel for divers. Dive shop and dock right on site and very easy shore diving right off the dock with gear lockers on the beach (bring your own lock). Would NOT recommend this hotel for non-divers as there is nothing else to do and all activities center around the dive schedule.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
so cal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

This was my second time in 6 months after I got my Open Water rating. I cannot say enough about the people. We were on the Reef Cat, many thanks to Manuel and Hector for helping us "seniors" in and out of the boat with each dive. Once you spend a day here you are family. The beds are hard but the views are first class.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Marin County, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2009

Perfect spot for a dive vacation in Cozumel. Staff was friendly. Miguel our divemaster was first rate. Food was fine. Close enough to town. Diving was fabulous. Reasonably priced. Resort is very clean. No frills, but exactly what I was looking for in a dive resort.

• Liked — clean, comfortable
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2009

My wife and I are novice divers - just 11 dives prior to this trip. We chose this resort because it was right on the ocean and offered diving from shore. We arrived Monday night about 6:30pm - just after the onsite dive shop closed. Originally this was a bummer to us as we wanted to get on the dive boat first thing Tuesday morning. We checked in quickly and easily and were given a great 1st floor room (#40) facing the ocean. The room was basic but nice; shower was great-never ran out of hot water. We had a private patio and were able to hang all our equipment to dry. As said by everyone else, the bed and pillow were kind of hard - but not terrible. Small refig, plenty of towels... overall very nice.

Once we were settled in, we had dinner and explored the resort the rest of the evening. What a place! The next morning we just about cried as the 4 scuba boats left without us - though I am convinced we could have got on if we pushed a little. Regardless, we deceided to spend the day getting used to our rented BCD's and regulators and refreshing our limited skill with some shore dives. The great thing with this resort is you can grab a tank of air any time the dive shop is open and jump in right from the resort. We did 2 dives during the day Tuesday and ventured in on our own later that night in total darkness - our first time in the water after dark. The dive off the resort is nothing special. In fact it is so simple - about 25' max depth - that novices like us were quickly and easily able to regain our skills. I would say that 85% of the divers at the ressort were very experienced.

We spent the next 3 days diving 8 more times. The boats leave about 8:30am and return around 1pm. You do 2 dives on different reefs each trip. Current was pretty strong but we handled it with little problem. The diving was specatcular. On Thursday night we paid for ($65 each) an additional 2 dives " Twilight Dive". There were 6 divers total and 4 crew on the boat. The first dive was a twilight dive around 4:30pm. Spectacular dive as the day fish dissappeared and the night life starting coming out - yet it was still light enough from the sun to not spook you. The 2nd dive we waited until about 6:30pm - now total darkness. Beside the shore dive we did Tues, this was a first for us. What a rush! Suprisingly it wasn't very spooky, but was definetely awesome. I highly recommend spending the extra money for this trip. We intended to do a lighthouse (Taxi Dive) before we left but never got to it. Maybe next time.

To sum it all up, The resort is small and quiet. By 10pm every evening the place was a ghost town; Rooms were nice but not at all fancy; Food was good, but the menu was limited. Make sure you ask Mario for a sample of his Habenero sauce - but have a beer close by:) Cocktails were extra but inexpensive and we didn't drink nearly as much as we would on vacation anyways due to all the diving we did (Also, there is a food store just down the road if you want to buy your own). Every meal has vegetarian options as well; Dive operation was superb - They grouped the divers according to skill and were very helpful with the equipment, instruction, and anything else you needed. Our rented BCD's and regulators worked perfectly. Generally speaking, the DM and crew spoke English very well. Boats were perfect, we dove in small groups - about 6 - even though there were up to 4 groups on board depending which boat you were on. You also got the same dive master for you entire stay which we thought was nice; The resort is walking distance to town, has plenty of beach chairs and hammock space, and is quiet and peaceful. Staff was always freindly and helpful - even extended our checkout time a couple hours as we dove the final morning and got back late. The other guests were mostly 40+ years old and full of dive stories. We talked to a lot of people at the resort and learned about a lot of other places to visit. Our companions from the Twilight Dive had awesome cameras and will hopefully be emailing photos soon! The resort pool is small and not really necessary. A hot tub would be a nice addition. The resort restaurant has 2 levels - the upper is a little more formal, the lower is informal and has outdoor seating. Same food in both places. I really can't say enough about SCC. I would go back in a heartbeat. The overall price we paid was about $1,046 for 4 nights and 3 days of boat dives plus another $65 for drinks, $135 for the Twilight Dive, and another $130ish for equipment rental - Well worth every penny!!!!!

• Liked — Quiet and peaceful - No Kids!
  • Disliked — No Hot Tub
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

I came across Scuba Club Cozumel while perusing an issue of Sport Diver magazine. My significant other & I wanted to dive Cozumel for the longest time, and the hotel offered an "all inclusive" package catering to divers, so we booked our trip. The staff at SCC is wonderful. EVERYONE is super nice, polite and genuine. English is spoken well, so if your Spanish isn't quite up to par, no worries. You'll get your point across. The rooms are clean and spacious, with tile floors and patios that accomodate wetsuits and gear. There are no phones or televisions in the rooms, but you can bring your computer and connect to their wireless network. Most of the rooms have ocean views. The food is good, and special meal preperation requests are a cinch. They can prepare vegeterian meals, or almost anything you want, just ask Mario. (Don't forget the name Mario, I promise you'll thank me later...) You may store your gear in the lockers near the pool or the dive shop, so remember to bring a lock... not so much to protect your things, but to lay claim to your locker. The environment is really great, and there is a watchman on duty all night, so we felt really comfortable leaving our things in the locker. If you forget something, there are a gazillion dive shops within walking distance of the hotel. Last but not least, the diving is excellent. The boats and crew are outstanding. They are excellent at what they do, and you can tell everyone enjoys their job. The boat and crew run like well oiled machines! We are most definately returning to Scuba Club Cozumel!

• Liked — comfortable room and view, close to the bottled water
  • Disliked — a lot of stairs to climb
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Scuba Club Cozumel? Share your experiences!