“Finished SCUBA Cert and Met Awesome New Friends” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Scuba Club Cozumel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cozumel
Scuba Club Cozumel
You added Scuba Club Cozumel to your Saves list
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av R Melgar Prol S, Km 1.5, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Hot Deal for Summer!
Ranked #13 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Finished SCUBA Cert and Met Awesome New Friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed four nights at Scuba Club, by myself, and felt 100% safe. This was my first solo trip out of the country and it was the best trip I have ever had!

The first day I did my off-shore dives for certification with Jose. He is so great and kind. We had a wonderful time doing my skills and finding some really amazing fish and rays. The next three days I went diving off the boat. Day 2 I finished the last two dives for my certification and enjoyed turtles, sharks, barracuda, parrot fish, lobster, and the beautiful coral reefs. Jose was an excellent instructor. Day three and four Tony was my instructor and dive master. He helped me learn how to drift dive and become more fluent in Spanish and buoyancy.

The last day of my trip Henry and Tony took me to the East Side Beaches of Cozumel - where I did a beach clean up for the turtles that are coming in next month. They were so amazing and great - and are now my friends!

The room was like a little Casita - I stayed in room 37 with a private patio and for one or two people. The tile was amazing and it was decorated in red.

The hospitality and gentle people who work there make life so great. The place is simple and not over the top. No TVs - but excellent Internet service. Hammocks and patios, areas to be private and enjoy the amazing ocean. It is a divers paradise and I will be back. I fell in Love With Cozumel!

Room Tip: Rooms 36 and 37 are great. i was in 37 and it had a shared patio and a private patio facing the oce...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My lovely bride, Jean-chan, and I have been going to this resort since back in the early 90's when it was The Galapago Inn. It is a great place to stay quiet, secure, friendly, and fun. The diving is wonderful. All dives are drift dives, over a beautiful reef that runs all the way down to Belize. I will never forget Palancar, El Cedral, and Punta Sur. We did a night dive by taking a taxi up current for about a mile and then coasting back in about 20 feet of water to the hotel beach. The next day, we went down through the devil’s throat to shoot out over a bottomless wall at 130’ and then spacewalked our way back to the boat clearly visible above. Free diving off the boat dock is great fun, the water is only 20' deep or so, and there is always a big 'Cuda in the shade under the dock.
The food is wonderful especially the diver’s special different every day. If you don’t dive this is not the place for you. Unless you happen to be deeply in love with someone who does dive. Excursions to the pyramids at Chichen are easy, Dives into the endless cinotes are just a short ferry boat ride away in Playa del Carmen. The people are warm and friendly and the smiles are real. Sometimes I think the best thing about the USA is that it is right next to Mexico. Oh, and don't miss the ceviche. Mario used to preside over the evening meals in a spotless white shirt. We would order fancy Mayan themed cocktails just for the show of seeing them mixed. We used to bring our own wine to share with the people on our dive boat. It is a special feeling there warmed by the sun and the exertion of the dive and the kindness of our hosts. Don't pass it by. The bird of life has but short to fly, and the bird is on the wing.

Room Tip: The rooms up high have the best breeze, with the plus that you won't track the sand in that far...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Warrensburg, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This club is all about the diver!! We spent one week with them..... it was not enough!! Next trip has to be at least 10 days. Too much to see.... even if you just jump in off the boat dock!
We did just that on our first day just to establish buoyancy and refresh.... several spotted rays, urchins, and beautiful fish! There is a replica of the Chichen Nitza pyramid just north by the blue dock. One couple came out around 5PM every night for twilight and night dives just off the docks. Flashlights were always going crazy!!
We then spent the next 4 days diving with divemaster Tony and captain Orlando and crew. We found 2 seahorses on the first dive along with the beautiful reefs, turtles, moray eels......I had not taken my camera on the first day ... very disappointed.... but I asked Tony if he could find more seahorses... He said he would try. He did!!!! The last dive of the trip he found two more clinging to a piece of coral..... He grabbed my camera and started shooting... See pictures attached!!
We completed the wreck dive on the 4th afternoon. WOW!! Was a little intimidated at first but Toni's confidence is contagious! All dives are drift... current a little strong at times but very workable.
The club is not the fanciest place we have stayed.... but very clean... and obviously cater to divers. Food was very good! Always get the ice cream after dinner..... homemade!

Room Tip: Room 45 really looked good. Gonna try for that one next time.... close to dive shop and lockers but...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

My review is based on the diving operation and restaurant only. We are staying elsewhere on the island. Two of us became very sick 8 to 9 hours following a meal the restaurant; one of us moderately sick, but he has a cast iron stomach. Was it the chicken or the glasses of ice water we were given with our meal? We can't say for sure but two days later we are still suffering. Everyone had chicken: either fajita's or taco's.

As for the diving: The dive team is attentive and rushes to help. They do not offer snacks between dives although they do eat themselves. Luis was a terrific dive master. We dove with him 4 times. He provides a through description of the dive and careful observation of divers in the water. He allowed more experienced divers long bottom times. The wreck dive was very special: I dove it several years ago and there was nothing on it, now new life is springing up everwhere. The passage ways are fairly large and easy to navigate. We were lucky to have no current and a beautiful sunny day.

As for the diving operation: I found the billing process and fact that we had to carry our dive weights back and forth to the boat between successive dives (Wreck and Night) a pain. Other local operations allow you to leave your weight on the boat.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Timothy M, General Manager at Scuba Club Cozumel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
We are glad you enjoyed the diving with our operation. As far as billing and leaving gear on the boats, since you were not staying at the resort we require payment upfront. We have 7 boats and the same boats don't always go out for the wreck and day dives so we do have the divers take the gear off the boats.

As for the meals and drinking water, with all due respect, all our water and ice in the restaurant is bottled and purified. Our food is prepared fresh daily and since you were staying elsewhere I image you had meals in other places too.

We hope that you will return to dive with us in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

This is my 2nd trip to Cozumel. Both times we stayed at scuba club. The diving here is beyond superb. The boat crew was extremely professional. We had 4 fairly new divers with us & Pepe (master diver) was so accommodating. He made everyone feel so comfortable that everyone enjoyed the diving immensely. The drift diving here is awesome, you feel surreal underwater & the dives are easy & relaxing. The resort is great also! Awesome food & service! Overall I have nothing negative to say & would highly recommend staying at scuba club Cozumel.

• Stayed April 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Although My wife & I were staying elsewhere on the island, we spent a day diving with friends staying at the Scuba Club Cozumel. We did 3 boat dives and one shore dive from here and everything was wonderful. Our boat captain and dive masters coud not have been more professional. My favorite dive was the ship wreck of the Felipe Xicotencatl (http://www.scubaclubcozumel.com/wreck.html). Dive master Manuel led us into and through the steel wreck. It was my first wreck experience and I thought it was fabulous. In addition to the wreck itself, the ship is now populated with some vey interesting sea creatures. We saw huge spiney-lobsters, and crabs, some casually swimming fish, and one large green moray eel.

This is a great location for devoted scuba divers. You can roll out of bed, and into the restaurant to get your meals, then hop onto the dive boats all within a very close area. From the boats you'll get to some of the best diving in the world.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I had a wonderful time at Scuba Club. The food was fantastic. Being a vegetarian, I appreciated the many vegetarian options they offer. Most rooms face the ocean and have open air balconies. The rooms and site are well-maintained, clean, and well-appointed. Other reviewers complained about the mattresses, but I found them just fine. I'm not a tv-watcher so didn't miss that at all. They have wi-fi, and it works, but is somewhat sketchy in performance. Basic use is ok, but they could amp-up the speed. My room was on the third floor, #16, and I liked being on the top level where it's quieter and the view is nice although somewhat obstructed by the roof.

You come here (I'm still on vacation) for the diving, and it's superb. They have several boats and all are staffed professionally. Being a newbie diver, I appreciated their attentiveness to diver safety. Divemasters were excellent at finding aquatic life, and we saw tons of it! My only complaint is about the rental equipment at the dive shop. I'm still deciding what gear to purchase, so opted to rent their equipment. My first bcd didn't work properly and had to be returned. This could have ruined a day's dives, but fortunately I got it switched out in time. The rental fins also chewed up my feet and were difficult to don and remove.

I highly recommend Scuba Club Cozumel and will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Scuba Club Cozumel? Share your experiences!