“Great value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Scuba Club Cozumel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cozumel
Scuba Club Cozumel
Av R Melgar Prol S, Km 1.5, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Second Person Pays Half !
Ranked #7 of 58 hotels in Cozumel
Austin, TX
“Great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

We got the 5/4/3 package (5 nights, 4 days of diving, 3 meals a day) and stayed here in November.

The hotel: This was a cute hotel with Mexican décor. Note the hotel is not actually all-inclusive in the sense that alcohol and tips are not included. We certainly got plenty to eat though. You don’t want to stay here unless you like to dive. It’s a great place for divers, but there is not much else to do. This is an early-to-bed, early-to-rise kind of place. Actually, I think the whole island is like that. The basic schedule is 7am: get up, eat breakfast, and get ready for the boat dive. 8:15am: leave for the boat dive. 1pm: return from the boat dives, clean up, and eat a late lunch. Then nap. Maybe do an afternoon or night dive if you feel up to it. Eat dinner some time between 6pm and 9pm. Then sleep. There was a pool that looked clean and I never saw any one actually using it. If you are coming with a group of diving friends and you can entertain yourselves, this is a great place to stay. If you want sources of entertainment besides diving, you might want to try one of the other all-inclusive resorts. Downtown was only about a 10-minute walk away. Even downtown is pretty dead when the cruise ships are not in town.

The rooms: We were in room 20. If we come back I would ask to stay here again. This room is on the 3rd floor of the building behind the restaurant. It had a king sized bed, refrigerator, plenty of table space, a porch with space to hang wet dive gear, and it had an alcove that had additional seating space. I’m glad the room had the alcove, otherwise it would have been cramped. The A/C unit blew directly into the alcove and not over the bed (fortunately), otherwise I would have been freezing. The bathroom was not air-conditioned, but it did have a small window to get some air circulation. The bathroom did not have a tub, just a shower. There were no hooks to hang wet gear in the bathroom. I thought the bed was very comfortable although harder than what I have at home. The pillows on the other hand were way too thick for me. There was bottled water in the hallway right outside our room, and a pitcher in our room to keep a fresh supply handy. They tell you the water is potable but not suitable to drink. I’m not sure exactly what that means but don’t drink it.

The diving: I think that the best thing about SCC is the boat crew and divemasters. Budda was a blast and very helpful getting on and off the boat, and our divemaster Choky was really nice and great at helping us find what we wanted to find, including a toadfish! We were on a large catamaran (Reef Cat) that usually had about 16 divers split among 2 divemasters. There was plenty of space on the boat and plenty of shade. There were also some smaller boats but I liked the catamaran. Most of our dives were 50-60 minutes. We are somewhat new divers (~50 dives) but you will find all kinds of divers at SCC.

Shore diving from the hotel is really easy. The dive shop is open throughout the day (until 6pm) to check out tanks, and there are rinse tanks and plenty of lockers close to the area where you can do a shore dive. There is also a protected swim-through area which makes it easy to enter the water with your dive gear on. There is no coral next to the hotel, but there is still plenty to see in the rubble and around the dock. We did a twilight dive and night dive at the hotel and saw octopus, a large eel, sea slugs, and plenty of small creatures.

For rental pricing: I believe BCD, regs, and dive computer are each about $10 a day. My own dive computer broke, so I rented a Suunto Gekko for $10. I didn’t use any other rental equipment but it looked fine. Nitrox is $10 a tank.

The food: The food was okay, but eating at the same place gets old after a few days. For breakfast, they have pancakes, French toast, cereal, fruit, pastries, eggs prepared many different ways (scrambled, huevos rancheros, omelettes, …), bacon/sausage and hash browns. If you got a meal plan, each day at breakfast you would make your selection for lunch and dinner. For lunch, you had the option of picking the special of the day, or selecting off of a standard menu which had a dozen or so Mexican entrees and dozen or so American entrees. (If you picked off the standard menu, you could make your selection at lunchtime rather than breakfast.) For dinner, you had a choice of 3 meat entrees (typically 1 seafood, 1 beef or pork, and 1 chicken) and 1 vegetarian entrée. The Mexican and Mayan specialties were hit-or-miss. If there is one thing they should improve on, it is the bread. If I go back to SCC, I might consider getting a package with just breakfast and possibly lunch, and then eat out for dinner. It is within walking distance of many good restaurants.

Room Tip: Room 20 has an alcove area and a porch. The view is somewhat obstructed by another building but sti...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

330 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
The Dunes, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

My husband and I came here for some serious scuba diving, and we sure found it! We didn't want the usual all inclusive, party all night kind of resort, but rather one where we could focus on diving with like-minded people. We found it here. The resort is just beautiful, and the staff takes great care to make it feel like a home away from home. They have a beautiful garden area, a welcoming, clean pool, and really comfy hammocks right on the water where I took advantage of many shore dives. Other than diving or lazing around by the pool or in a hammock, there really isn't much to do, which is what I loved. The food was great too. They served up a hearty breakfast every morning and had delicious lunches in the afternoon ready for us after returning from a long (but very fun) morning of 2 boat dives. The dinners were pretty good too, but the breakfast and lunch was better, where they stuck to traditional Mexican/Mayan/Yucatanean dishes with authentic flavors. While meals were included, drinks (other than coffee, tea, juice with breakfast, and h2o) were not, but they were available at very fair prices. A beer was $2 and a rum and coke $5. We didn't mind paying by the drink rather than paying a higher all inclusive price since we were there for diving, not partying. It's less than a five minute walk to the nearest store to stock your own beverages, which we did for sodas. The hotel is a five to ten minute walk to the center of town. It's worth checking out if you don't feel like doing any afternoon shore dives, but it's mostly souvenir shops, restaurants, and bars with staff outside all trying to lure you in. In other words, a giant tourist trap. But do make a point of checking out the center plaza, which feels very Spanish. You will find a lot of locals here spending time with their families.

Our room was very large, clean, and quite efficient with an alarm clock and mini fridge, king size bed, and a huge closet. Every room had its own private balcony area, which was perfect for drying our beach towels and bathing suits, and watching the cruise ships coming and going and viewing the beautiful sunsets. The room did not have a TV, but that wasn't a problem for us. They have a little "library" in the bar area where you can take a book/leave a book. There were also some board games and playing cards. But with a full day of diving for us, it wasn't long after dinner before we were passed out for the night.

As for the diving, it was incredible. Upon arriving, the staff at the dive shop (on hotel premises) will help you get fitted with you rental gear. The rentals they offered looked and functioned like brand new. They group you with other divers according to your experience and comfort level, and you stay with the same dive group all week, which gives everyone a chance to get to know each other. Divers from beginners who were getting in their open water certification dives to instructors who have logged 500+ dives can enjoy diving here. We were on the Reef Cat all week and our dive master was Martin. He was a great guy, and did his best to answer any questions and help any way he could. The crew was great too; they helped us on and off the boat, helped set up our gear and get it on and off. There was plenty of water and juice available between dives. Overall, it was a very large, comfortable boat. Of course it helped that the resort wasn't half full the week we were there.

More than anything, I wanted to see turtles while in Cozumel, and my wish was granted the very first dive, which was at Delilah. We also saw two giant eagle rays swim our way and right past us, as well as a reef shark and a nurse shark. And that was day one; I saw more life here already than I had seen on my first 25 dives combined. My favorite sites overall were Palancar Gardens, Columbia/Palancar Bricks, Villa Blanca, and the shore right off the hotel for a twilight dive. Check out the action under the pier and out near the sunken pier debris for the shore dives.

We simply cannot wait to take another dive trip to the Mayan Caribbean, and will certainly return to Scuba Club whenever we are in Cozumel :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2nd floor with a view of the ocean. There aren't elevators, however, so if...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Clearwater, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

Did a week stay/dive package at SCC in January, 2011. Great service and very professional dive staff and hotel staff. The food was also very good. Very easy walk to town and stores, etc. Expect a boat ride of at least an hour each way-which will get old after a couple days.

Going back to Cozumel in January, but staying a bit farther south.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011 via mobile

This was our first trip to Cozumel, and we stayed here with friends who won't stay anywhere else. The rooms are basic, but clean. Beds are very hard, but we still slept well after an exhausting day of diving. Clean towels are brought to the room twice daily.
Waiters and MaitreD were very friendly and accommodating. The food was fresh and included vegetarian specials. Even non-vegetarian meals were prepared without meat for me. Breakfast is buffet style. Lunch and dinner meals are made to order.
The diving staff were also incredible. I am a novice diver, and they made me feel very safe. Equipment was brand new and in excellent condition. Divemasters and boat crew are very skilled and obviously love their jobs. There is lots to see on the shore dive, so don't miss that!
We ventured out one afternoon into town and took the ferry to Playa del Carmen. We couldn't wait to get back "home" to the Scuba Club and again disappear from the outside world. The view from our room was a postcard scene. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2011
Stanwood, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

Rooms are sparse. Minimal concierge service. wonderful diving with a great crew

• Stayed November 2011
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

Stayed for the first time at Scuba Club Cozumel for 4 days. I have traveled many different places for diving and also been in countless hotels. This hotel was a good deal for the price, very clean, all of the staff very friendly and accomodating. The dive shop was excellent I had a great instructor in William, who got me through specialty courses. The food was very good, they don't have any hidden costs or fees. The wifi was reasonably fast and accessible from the rooms, some places it barely works or only works in certain spots. The beds were comfortable and the shower worked well, sometimes cheaper places it takes 30 minutes to get hot water.

Some small points, not negatives, just things to be aware of. I stayed by myself to just go diving and so it was perfect for me. If you had small kids you might want a swimmable beach which this one is not, it is meant to be able to go shore diving, which by the way is pretty good. They do have a pool and sand for them to dig in, which would be enough for my kids. It is near town, so the better dive sites are farther south, about 45 minutes boat ride. The boats have a lot of divers generally, although because I was taking a course I had my own guide, and it looked like most people were 4 to a guide, but you have to pick a lot of people up. I did go on one boat with only a few divers. There is a trade off, you have more people to pick up and account for in terms of time, but dive resorts have more experienced divers usually and so you go to better sites since you don't have to take into account the least experienced people. I would rather go to a better site and wait a little longer picking people up then go to a lesser site, my personal preference. No TV, but with internet who needs a TV.

Overall I would highly recommend it to anyone and would definitely stay there again. Great place.

Room Tip: stay in a room away from the dive shop to avoid hearing tanks moving in the morning unless you need...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Springfield, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We've stayed at this dive resort for 8 nights, and had a 5 days dive package. Everything was great, the weather, the diving, the food and the premises. Diving is just great, good boats, great dive masters, lots to see and experience. Eveything here is for divers, no problem with anything, free wi fi, safe and secure place. We will be back.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Scuba Club Cozumel? Share your experiences!