“wonderful family vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Cozumel

You added Iberostar Cozumel to your Saves list
Iberostar Cozumel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Costera Sur, km. 17,785, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #23 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Defiance, Ohio
“wonderful family vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Overall, I would say quite clean facilities! Very nice staff and they go out of their way to make you happy. I do not recommend the spa/ massage services, very expensive and didn't come close to my typical 60 min. massage back in the states. Other members of my party really enjoyed their services. (do not get Beatrice) I really enjoyed the food; however more choices as the week goes on would have been nice. I will say the only real problem for me was the humidity in my room. From the moment I walked into my guest room I was disappointed until the day I left. It was smelly like a mold smell and damp; however the accommodations were very clean. The air conditioner had to be set at the coldest setting and there was no humidity setting :( I didn't realize July was the rainy season and so I was surprised that even my bed sheets and pages of my books were damp....the entire time. I did not mind the humidity outside one bit because I LOVE water; but in your bed at night is a whole different matter! I was thankful I was not there for a honeymoon because the idea of "honeymooning" in my room was not a pleasant thought. I was vacationing with others and some of them reported their rooms were also damp like mine, but a few others reported they did have a newer thermostat which had a humidity setting which really helped dry out the room. I definitely recommend requesting a room with a newer system if the humidity bothers you. Loved the snorkeling at Alberto's next door, highly recommend them!!! Saw ocean life/ animals that I have never seen before on other trips!!! Stormed every day but one, and I still got a beautiful tan! I am not a picky drinker; however the fact that you could only get one type of beer at the bar/ restaurants was a bummer. Luckily, I really like DosXX. I also love a great Chardonnay and they only had one white wine that was just ok. Overall, I would recommend this resort.

Room Tip: ask for a newer thermostat in your room that helps reduce humidity
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cozumel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Client.

We really appreciate the time invested in giving us this feedback about how your last experience at Iberostar Cozumel was. Your comments are essential to us, since it is the best tool to identify areas of concern and improve our services and facilities.

We are sharing your comments with our Spa Manager to put an extra effort on those weak areas where we can improve and offer you a better experience.

We are really sorry about the humidity. We have staff working 24/7 and any guest has the chance to call our Front Desk to report any inconvenience, as small as this may be, to be fixed and not interfere with your vacation experience. We will pass these comments to our Maintenance Department so that experiences like the one you described are avoided in the future.

We are also passing your comments on to our Food & Beverage Manager about the services offered to take into consideration.

We are confident that we will have the honour to host you once more so that we can show you how capable we are of improving as your satisfaction is our main goal.

Iberostar Mexico.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Stayed here last week, had a good time. Took my wife and son.

Preface of my travels: My 10th AI experience, in Mexico, Jamaica and Dominican (fairly well traveled around the Carribean I suppose)

Resort: Well Maintained, don't know how old the property is, obviously is not the newest places I've been to, but it is very clean and maintained daily. Grounds are kept trimmed and there is much wildlife to look at.

Staff: Front desk was very helpful, maids did an excellent job cleaning the rooms everyday (please tip your maid a few bucks everyday) They stocked my fridge with whatever I requested.

Star Friends (Entertainment)- This is the best part of the resort. They work their tales off. Johel (sp?) might be the fastest talker in 5 languages alive! Very good emcee. Jaime was very engaging, always kept people busy (or politely knew when you wanted to be lazy) They all make you feel like family by your 2nd day there.

Rooms: On the small side, but serviceable. Beds and pillows were hard, but I never sleep well in a hotel room anyway. Very clean.

Beach: I'm a beach snob and knew going in, that this was a rocky entrance, which it was. The beach itself is nice, always available chairs and clean, but you have to enter at the dock. The bonus is you get to see literally thousands of fish while snorkeling around the dock.

Pool: Again, not one of the bigger ones I've been to, but it's appropriate for the size of the resort. Always clean, which is my big thing. Hate it that some people just put their empty drink cups on the side of the pool when the bar is 5 feet away, but that's on the guests, not the staff. They kept up as best they could with all the people drinking. The pool bar guys were very good too, (hint: tip these guys a few bucks a day as well, you always get faster service that way, and they deserve it)

Food: This was very disappointing to me. The worst buffets of any of the resorts I've been to. The presentation is fine, and the staff in the restaurants are fine, but honestly how come you can't get an omelet cooked thoroughly? Happened to me 4 times (I'm hardheaded and kept giving them a chance) So for breakfast I just stuck with pancakes, they were fine. Lunch was so-so, pizza and hamburgers were consistant, the other offerings were sketchy at best, (and tried all of it) One day they did have a baked potato/ potato salad bar for lunch and that was good but did not see it the rest of my time there.

Themed restaurants: Mexican was fine, nothing to write home about. We ate at the steakhouse several times. (You have to get reservations and after you use your "allotted" times up, you have to come back after 1PM everyday to check availability, we always got in) The steakhouse was their best place.
We went to the place beside the restaurant, Alberto's, one night and it was very good, but not included in your all-inclusive price, but the meal was worth it. The staff at all the themed were very attentive.

That was my only gripe about the resort, everything was good, it seems like they relied on the staff to make up for the food.

Dear Client,

On behalf of all the Iberostar Cozumel crew and the Management, we would like to thank you with a big “Gracias “for your nice comments about all the efforts of our crew to keep our grounds and our services outstanding.

It is very nice to read that our crew did a good job with your family. We will be sharing your review with all of them in order to give them a great motivational tool, especially Yohel and Jaime.

We are also sharing your comments on our food with our Main Chef and our Food & Beverage Manager. We apologize that this aspect of our resort did not meet your expectations, but we work hard every day to get better and better.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you once more in the near future at Iberostar Cozumel.

Bowie, Maryland, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My boyfriend and I went on a week long vacation at Iberostar Cozumel.

Staff: Extremely friendly and helpful.

Beach: BEAUTIFUL. Always able to find a chair to sit in and shade to sit under. Unfortunately it is rocky when trying to get in the water so it is easiest to walk to the pier and get in by the ladder.

Weather: DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED. Before we traveled I looked up the weather and it showed rain and thunderstorms every day. Sure this is true, but the storms come and go within 15-20 minutes. So it is nothing to worry about :)

Bar: Drinks were amazing! I would recommend the Blue Hawaii and a Mojito

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Client.

We want to thank you for your nice comments and for sharing with us your experience at Iberostar Cozumel.

We are in a National Park right in front of the second biggest natural reef around the world. Due to this we cannot alter in any way our coast line, so as you correctly mentioned, the pier gives you a better access to the sea and you can enjoy swimming in the Caribbean Ocean with our wonderful marine life.

Regarding the weather, thank you very much for your tips to other users! We are confident they also will enjoy the 15 minute rain with a Mojito in hand :-)

Sunny regards.

Tappahannock, Virginia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

The staff was very friendly and the grounds were meticulously groomed. It was great to know I had options. I could do nothing at all for a week: food prepared, dishes washed, drinks provided or I could do any of the activities provided. The food was plentiful, if its quality sometimes was not great. All in all, it was a wonderful experience.

One tip: be sure to take water shoes if you plan to swim in the ocean from the shore.

Dear guest.

First and foremost, thank you for your preference towards Iberostar, and for taking the time to give us your opinion about your recent stay at Iberostar Cozumel. We are more than happy to hear that you had an excellent vacation and that you were pleased with our service.

You review let us know that we are achieving our priority, which is to ensure that every guest leaves satisfied.

In order to improve our service, we have passed your feedback on to our Chef to enhance the quality of our culinary offer.

We will be more than glad to welcome you in the near future.

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Stay was July 12th - 15th. This was my first time at an Iberostar hotel. I have stayed at others in Cozumel, but this was my favorite layout. It has a beautiful tropical atmosphere with animals abound. The food is typical, but lots of options. The room was smaller than rooms I had in the past but that didn't bother me. The bed was stiff and uncomfortable for both my wife and I. The resort was not over crowded, with seats at both the pool and beach available. The ocean off the nice sandy beach gets rocky, so don't expect sand but good for snorkeling. No free lobby wifi is my biggest complaint for this quality of a resort (available but pricey) and the stiff beds didn't help. Staff was mostly good, maids did good taking care of rooms and restocking beverages.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Dear guest

Thank you very much for your recent visit to Iberostar Cozumel and for posting your nice comments on Trip Advisor. They are very much appreciated.

We are very pleased to read your words about the excellent care provided by our animation team, our diverse cuisine and our well kept resort. Also we want to thank you for all your remarks on our grounds and accommodations.

We will pass your feedback about our beds and wifi on to our management for their consideration. Our beds comply with a standard but we have bed toppers to soften them for those guests who find them to firm.

We are right in front of the 2nd biggest reef in the world and a natural protected area. Due to this, Iberostar Cozumel cannot alter our beach, so our pier gives you a better access to the sea and you can enjoy snorkelling with the lovely marine fauna!

Once again thank you for your comments; they motivate us to keep working hard to satisfy all of our guests.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Before I begin my review, here's some background on who I am and what I like. All of these reviews are biased, right?

Me: I'm 33, single, and was traveling with my ex-step-mother, brothers and sister (and sister's boyfriend) (ages 59, 21, 20, 18, and 15). I'm bit of a food, wine and beer "snob" - My favorite restaurants of all time are Nobu in NYC/Miami, Marcels in Washington DC, and, taking it down a level, Chuy's Tex-Mex in Austin, TX. I love IPAs, bitter beers, and Oregon Pinot Noirs. I like Hendricks gin and margaritas made with fresh lime juice, Grand Marnier, and Herradura Silver tequilla. In other words, I like good food and drink. :)

I'm that person who gets bit by bugs when no one else around me is getting bit. I get hot when no one else is hot. It takes a lot to keep me entertained. I have high expectations in general.

In other words, I can be a little high maintenance, picky, and like the nicer things in life. So, take my review with a grain of salt. :)

That being said........

There were pros and cons about the Iberostar Cozumel but this place was what I would consider a really great value. For about $91 dollars per day, we got a nice, air-conditioned room, all food, and all drinks included.

1. THE STAFF!!! I can't say enough about the people who work at this hotel. I wish I could remember everyone's names! There was guy at the buffet every morning and evening with "Trainee" on his badge who was so sweet and helpful. Irais in the Spa gave a phenomenal deep massage combined with stretching and relaxation techniques - highly recommend her if you like deep tissue or Thai massage. The Spa manager (front desk?) was also super friendly!

The bartenders, the maintenance people, the security guards, the front desk, the hotel store -- really - everyone was so great and friendly.

2. The STAR FRIENDS!!! They were all very fun, funny, and entertaining. They work their BUTTS off every day. Six days a week, 12-14 hour days. Somehow, they all keep smiling, keep up their energy, and keep everyone happy! And they PERFORM every night!! The Star Friend "boss" Joel (Johel?) is a sweetheart and has so much charisma and energy. I don't know how he does it! And he must speak 6 languages!

Our favorite Star Friend was Jaime. He got to know our entire family and we got to know him. He shared his passion for being on stage and how much he loved meeting the guests but always hated to say goodbye. Whether or not I stay at the Iberostar, if Jaime is in Cozumel, I will definitely make sure I get to see him!

3. Diving with Dressel Divers (on property) - Again, the staff was great. DEFINITELY get Kat on your dive and buy her video. She did an amazing job with the one we purchased. You won't regret spending the $90.

All of the dive instructors are very experienced. I had wonderful dives with Maud, Fernando, and Tyler. Fernando is hilarious. Maud is super sweet (and took me on my favorite dive swimming through formations at "the horseshoe"). Tyler is nice eye candy. ;) Yes, and a great dive master too! Francisco, aka "Paunchy", was awesome on the boat, getting me set up, helping me with gear, etc. A great team all together!

They are not as intrusive as I've heard some of the dive operators are in Cozumel, which we really liked. It's best to leave the reef and the animals as they are and just be spectators in their world. If you want them to feed sharks, pick-up shrimp, or take sand dollars home - it's not going to happen. It's a good thing - we should all support more dive operations like Dressel.

They do seem to be a little more expensive then some of the other operations on the island but 1) it's convenient, 2) their rental gear is good and well maintained, 3) they're sensitive to the reef and environment, 4) the dive masters and boat crew are awesome. The only thing I wish they'd do, with the money we spent, is to carry my gear on and off the boat and rinse it for me. They don't have to set it up for me but, after an evening of drinking and/or finishing up on some dives, the last thing I want to do is haul my rental gear up and down the dock.

4. FOOD -- This was probably my least favorite part of the hotel. If you want to eat in one of the 3 restaurants you have to make reservations each morning. Of the 7 nights, we only managed to do that twice, so we spent most evenings at the buffet. Unfortunately, the food at the buffet for lunch or dinner isn't great. Edible, fine, right for the price. The 2 "restaurant" meals we had were OK. Better than the buffet, for sure, but nothing to write home about. The staff in the buffets and restaurants are great though! :)

5. DRINKS --- Only one type of beer - Dos Equis on draft - not super cold. Make sure to order every other mixed drink as a "double". They keep some better liquor hidden, so ask for it if you care. No good wine choices, even at the restaurants. Sorry.

6. ROOMS -- Very clean, flat screen TVs. Room gets nice and COLD, which was great! The beds are a little hard but I was OK with that. BRING A BLOW DRYER. The "blow dryer" there looked like a miniature vacuum and did nothing but lightly blow luke warm air. Maids did a good job cleaning the rooms each day and never did that constant banging on the door thing like they do at most hotels so they can clean your room. Your room was just magically cleaned when you left! ;)

They're also good about always replenishing the water bottles in the mini-fridge, so that was nice.

7. THE PROPERTY ---- Very well maintained. The peacocks hanging out around the pool sometimes was pretty funny. Little hermit crabs, frogs, iguanas, cats, flamingos, water turtles, land turtles - you name it, they were there! Very neat to see so much wildlife on property.

THE ONLY PROBLEM.....this is not the Iberostar's fault but right now, July 2013, apparently it's the rainy season and the mosquitos and sand fleas are HORRIBLE. I went through 2 bottles of Off spray and ran out the last day. BRING EXTRA - it's $11 in the hotel store! Make sure you REAPPLY often! I, literally, have 40+ bug bites on me. Do NOT sit in the sand, even on a towel, in a skirt, without spraying your behind with Off spray. Trust me.

8. RANDOM INFO --- Wireless access is not included and NOT available in your room. You can only get it in the lobby or at the pool. It is $2 for 15 minutes, $4 for 30 minutes, etc. I ended up buying 5 days for $54 dollars.

WOULD I COME BACK?

YES, IF I was coming with a group of couple friends on a budget (this place is NOT GOOD for single 25-45 year old men or women who are looking to meet other singles) or traveling again with family. There were lots of teenagers to early 20s, there with their parents. Lots of parents drinking at the pool bar. PARENTS -- keep an eye on your 14-19 year old daughters - I saw and heard about many "things" that went on with other guests and a few members of the staff.

NO, if I were coming with a boyfriend/spouse or with a group of girlfriends. I'd probably find an adults only hotel with more restaurants and amenities, less family oriented. It would probably also cost a lot more!

Dear guest.

We really appreciate the time invested in giving us this feedback about how your last experience at Iberostar Cozumel was. Your comments are essential to us, since it is the best way to improve our services and facilities, which is imperative for us.

We want to thank you for your nice review. We feel privileged to have had the opportunity to serve you. It is also a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your family holidays among us so much.

Thank you very much to put an emphasis on how our staff could not do enough for you in order to make you feel comfortable. This kind of comments makes us very happy because our main goal is your entire satisfaction.

We already passed your comments on to our entertainment team in order to let them how how their efforts are recognized, especially those you named due their excellent service as Jaime or Yohel. We are also sharing your nice comments with the people in charge of the Dive Center; they will be thrilled to know you were so happy with their service.

Our guests’ comments are really important to us, as they represent a great opportunity of improvement, so your review has been shared with our head Chef in order to take into consideration the issues you mentioned that might need attention.

Regarding insects, as you know our location is right in the jungle and the rain during those days was the main reason for the mosquitoes. In a rainy situation you can find them at the beaches around the island. We can assure you that we fumigate every day to keep control, but we cannot eliminate them entirely.

We appreciate your remark of our grounds and accommodations. We hope that, in the future, you can give Iberostar a chance to show you how capable we are to improve in order to satisfy all our guests with all our best efforts.

Once again thank you for your comments!

Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Hello, in April 2013, it was my second time at the Iberostar.
I go there because the food is good, the rooms confortable and clean, and the PADI diving center has professional divers to guide us .

I was ther alone for one week. It's a nice place because the diving makes people talk to each other and every one is quite friendly once you've been diving with them.

The only minus here is the beach.
No way can you go into the water without shoes.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not near the pool if you don't like music starting à 10 a.m.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Client.

On behalf of the Iberostar Cozumel team, we appreciate the time invested in stating the strongest points of our services.

As you mentioned, we are located in a very natural area, and as a Green Globe Certified Hotel, it is part of our responsibility to keep our grounds, fauna and beach in balance. We are also inside a National Park so our coastline must remain untouched and that is why our pier was built, so that our beloved guests can go into the sea and enjoy our diverse marine life.

We will be very proud to welcome you again at Iberostar Cozumel!

Kind regards,
Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Cozumel? Share your experiences!