“Great Value if you pay the right price.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Cozumel

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Cozumel to your Saves list
Iberostar Cozumel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Costera Sur, km. 17,785, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #19 of 58 hotels in Cozumel
Guelph, Ontario
“Great Value if you pay the right price.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband and I visited the Iberostar Cozumel from Dec 5-12, 2012. This is a scuba divers paradise. If you are not a diver, you can always get a great lounge chair by the pool or on the beach. The dive boats leave around 8:00am and run all day long. The pool is beautiful, the room are older but perfectly adequate. You only sleep there anyway. The food is not fabulous, but you can always find something to eat. They have a pasta bar where they make exactly what you want. Breakfast is always great, they have bacon, eggs, pancakes,waffles etc. It's really hard to screw up breakfast. The grounds are outstanding and are very well maintained. There is lots of wildlife that roams free..peacocks, iguanas, parrots, flamingos, turtles. It's really quite beautiful. The staff is very helpful and friendly. There are plenty of activities taking place all day if you choose to participate. The evening entertainment is quite good. the resort is rated as a 4 star, but we feel that is a bit of a stretch. It is more like a 3.5 star. We only paid $800.00 per week per person, so we found it was a great deal at that price. We met other people who paid significantly more, and they felt is wasn't a great deal. We were there just before the busy season started, so we had a very relaxing and enjoyable vacation. It wasn't busy at all, there were no long lines for anything.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cozumel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for choosing to stay at Iberostar Cozumel and also for taking the time to send us your comments about your stay.

We are especially pleased to see that you enjoyed the hotel’s settings and surroundings. It is an honor to know that you had a nice time with our employees; we will compliment them for all their effort. Our team is constantly working to provide the best possible experience to our guests so this feedback will be most welcome.

We are glad that you enjoyed the beautiful grounds and the wildlife we have at the hotel.

All your comments are very important for us to motivate our Management and Staff, who are dedicated to ensuring that we exceed your expectations. We thank you for all the issues you brought to our attention especially the ones about the room and the food, we promise you that we work on them.

We hope that when you will plan your next vacation, you do not hesitate to give us the honor to serve you.

2,828 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
Tyler, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

When I made my reservation I told them that I walked with a 4-wheeled rollator. In other words, I don't walk on my own. I wanted the beach and beautiful water that I could get to. That's why I chose Cozumel. However, if that is what you are interested in don't stay here. When I arrived, I noticed that the swimming pool was very crowded. Once I got to the beach, I realizd why the pool had so many people - there were massive boulders of coral on the waters' edge and into the water. There was no way a person, especially a physically handicapped person, could get into the water easily.

I was told not to worry about not being able to get into the water. The people at the resort told me I could go out on a snorkle trip each day to get my water fix in. That was going to eliminiate laying around on the beach (which there wasn't too much of because of the boulders anyway) but was also going to cost an additional $40 for each snorkle trip.

Needless to say, rather than ruin my vacation, I moved to another hotel that had a beautiful beach and everyone could get into the water without water shoes and getting marred up from coral.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cozumel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Guest

On behalf of the General Manager and all the staff of the Iberostar Cozumel we would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing our hotel for your recent vacation and also for taking the time to write your constructive reviews to us and the rest of the online community.

We are sorry to hear that you could not enjoy our hotel beach; it is true that to get into our beach it is rocky as we are located near the coral reef area. As it is a natural protected area we cannot change in any way the entrance to the ocean. However we apologize if you were not given this information, which is important.

Regarding the pools being crowded, it depends on the season but we always have enough lounge chairs available, given that there are more chairs than the total capacity of guests the hotel has.

In case you do plan to return to Cozumel and give us the opportunity to show you all the wonders the hotel and the island has to offer, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will be more than happy to welcome you back.

toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Dive shop amazing. Dives, amazing.
Rooms dated. Hair drier did not work, phone did not work, my daughters room phone did not work, air conditioning did not work (couldn't turn it off).
Front desk never answered the phone (called from my friends room cuz my phone not working).
My other daughter Did not receive my wake up call.
Towel service sucks cuz you need a towel card!
Front desk not friendly
Staff boring and rude.
Dive staff AMAZING
DO NOT GO FOR THE BEACH (a lot of coral at shore-cannot swim in, need to off dock)

Room Tip: if you are a diver, ask for rooms in the 11 section near dive shop. Our room was 26 sections which w...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

We would like to express our gratitude for choosing Iberostar Cozumel for your recent vacation and also for taking the time to write your comments online.

We can assure you that we will forward your comments on the great time you had at the dive center Dressel diver and the great job they did.

On the other hand, we apologize for all the inconveniences you encountered with the rooms and the staff at the front desk.

As a committed company in satisfying our customers, we are very concerned to read that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level of service, if you can help us with some more information on what happened with our front desk personnel and also with the rooms or dates that you were in, that will help us find the problem and improve our service for the future. Indeed, your well being and your entire satisfaction is our primary goal.

We are sorry to hear that you could not enjoy our hotel beach, while it is true that the entrance to the beach is rocky, it is also one of our main assets, as we are located near the coral reef area. It is a natural protected area so we cannot change the coastline in any way. That is why the pier is located, so our guests can go into the Ocean without any danger.

Once again I apologize for the inconveniences, and we hope to have another opportunity to welcome you and enhance your experience with Iberostar.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

If you are a diver, deep or snorkel, this place is for you! Beautiful resort with excellent service and the food was very good! I would recommend this place to everyone who loves the ocean. But if you like the nice and big white sandy beaches, not for you. Rent a Jeep and take a day to go around the island it is worth it, the deserted beach and the nature around the island is astounding. Saint-Miguel, the city is also a great place to eat in a good restaurant. My husband and I went to the Las Palmeras, excellent Mexican food, but I also heard great things on the following restos: La Mission and Pepe. Like I said, I am so happy I pick Cozumel and Iberostar, we have no complaint, maybe that the beds are very hard, but it is a detail and they will do anything to make your stay a plaisant one. Great place and go without a worry. The only thing I can critic is the Air Canada service on check in in Cozumel, way too long! Next time I will catch a flight with US Airways.

Room Tip: All look the same to me, we were in 5113, very quiet
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Client

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Cozumel for your recent vacation and for taking the time to write your feedback on Trip Advisor on you experience with us.

We feel honored to know you enjoyed our facilities and that you appreciated the environment. For us it is important to know that you enjoyed food, accommodation and the service offered; it motivates us to continue improving, as we always strive for an excellence in service. It is great to read from your review that you enjoyed all the activities and the places in the beautiful island of Cozumel.

Regarding your comment about the beds being hard, we have foam mattresses to make the beds softer; you can ask our reception staff during your next visit.

We are confident that you would honor us with your presence on your next holiday at Iberostar Cozumel!

Lumby, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Our family vacationed at the Iberostar from dec 12- 22. The hotel is set up with small units of bungalows. Each room has its own patio with a hammock and a couple of chairs & small table. A nice place to enjoy a bit of quiet time. The specialty restaurants where OK, the Steak house was the best. We had no trouble booking reservations for when we wanted them. My husband and daughter went diving and had a wonderful time exploring the reefs. Snorkeling at the hotel beach was disappointing, most of the fish congregate under the dock and there are signs not allowing swimming under the dock. We were prepared for the rocky entrance into the ocean from past reviews and used the ladder on the dock. We booked one snorkeling tour through the hotel (3 reef - $40/person) and it was wonderful. Experienced guide and very beautiful day! We also paid a visit to Chankanaab Park which is very beautiful with wonderful snorkeling! The entertainment staff is fabulous and are great with pool games and evening shows.The only disappointment was the food. We've traveled throughout Mexico and have come to expect that the buffet food to be bland. But each one of our family of three came down with debilitating food poisoning on separate occasions during our 10 day trip. My husband got sick on Dec 17 after having dinner at the buffet. I got sick after breakfast on Dec 20 and our daughter got sick on Dec 22 after breakfast, the day we left. This is the one reason that we will never return to the Iberostar although we loved the location, staff and amenities.

Room Tip: Our room was in Unit 22 and close to pool & beach, quiet at night. Very nice
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying at the Iberostar Cozumel and for sharing your reviews with us.

We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed the hotel’s settings and surroundings and that you experienced the wonders of the reefs at the Cozumel Island. We will share your mention of the staff with all the employees involved, especially the entertainment staff, since they work hard and it will be very motivating for them to know they achieved their goal.

We are sorry to hear that your family got sick during your vacation. There is a doctor on site and everyday he reports to the Management for every incident he assists. Your report really caught our attention and we investigated further. We are the first ones that want to know about any type of illnesses in order to avoid a massive contamination, especially in a resort that holds thousands of guests.

Adding up all our resorts in Mexico, we have an average of 6,000 guests a day and more than 3,000 employees, so our company has a high priority for Health & Safety; your satisfaction as well as your wellbeing is our primary goal. We have an in-house H & S department as well as an external company (Saniconsult) that undertakes regular control audits. They verify our system procedures and the quality of our food and drinks and they did not find any trace that indicated that these were not up to the demanded standards. Nor did they find any bacteria or parasites. Indeed, if that had been the case, we would have had more reports of guests or staff being sick.

Any isolated case may be caused for different reasons, e.g. for eating outside the resort, from catching a bug from somebody (stomach flu/gastroenteritis or similar which is extremely contagious). However we hope that you recovered quickly and that your vacation was not completely spoiled by this.

It saddens us to hear you have decided to do not return to our property, but if you change your mind in the future, we will be thrilled to welcome you back and give you a different and better image of Iberostar. We hope you will give us the opportunity to show you.

toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Our family spent a week over New Years at the Iberostar. Check in was quick, thanks to the staggered arrivals by taxi instead of a large bus.
Our room was clean, near the dive hut but we had no problems with noise of early dives. We found we had to leave the AC on high to keep the humidity out, particularly as it turned off automatically when no one was in the room. We had no problems with smells, although our boys rooms did have a smell, they blamed it on the sulfer in the water as they were constantly showering, I blamed it on them.
Food in the ala cartes was good but the buffet was lacking. There was no fresh grill station which we have found to be a fixture in other AI we have visited. Often the dishes would be empty and not quickly refilled. Service was always good at all restaurants and bars, bar service especially good if you tipped at the beginning of the day. We had lunch at Albertos and in town a couple of times, the seafood here was much better, we were told at the Iberostar selection was lacking due to the season, the other restaurants agreed but still had a etter selection. Lunch at the pool restaurant was the only option and quite crowded when it opened, it was difficult to find a table.
The entertainment staff was great, they interacted often with guests. There were plenty of activities around. We wished they had more beach related things, like the daytime beach party and the evening fireshow followed by dancing. The disco was very loud and often empty, the younger crowd sometimes took over but not until early morning. Pool was large, cooler particularly once the sun started to go down, although it did attract a bigger crowd at the swim up bar once the beach bar closed, another good place to meet people.
The beach is ironshore at the entrance but doable, it is far easier to enter from the pier. We brought our snorkeling equipment and snorkeled most days, plenty of fish including lots of barracuda, parrots, even the odd ray. I am not sure what the previous poster meant by no snorkeling unless he was looking for coral, there is very little of that. We did a trip to the reefs and would highly recommend.
We hired a cab for the day to tour the island, cheaper and preferable to the jeep safari if you don't want to travel in a crowd and want to eat in an out of the way spot.
We enjoyed our stay, we had no idea what to expect. We met lots of interesting people and there were lots of teenagers/early 20's over the holidays to keep the kids occcupied. We would definately consider a return trip.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Customer,

Thank you for choosing Iberostar Cozumel for your recent vacation and also for taking the time to share your comments about your experience with us.

It is gratifying to hear that you liked the surroundings and the great activities that were available at the hotel and in Cozumel in general. It is great to know that you snorkeled most days and enjoyed the fauna and the reefs.

Thank you for your positive comments on our cuisine at the specialty restaurants; on the other hand we have forwarded your feedback on the buffet to our chef in order to improve and enhance the quality and variety of the food, as we always strive for an excellence in our services.

We will share with our entertainment staff your comments as they have contributed in making your holiday a special one.

Finally, we have opportunities to improve and we will use this feedback as a learning tool, we would be honored to welcome you back at Iberostar Cozumel and show you our improvements.

Greetings,
Palatine, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

poor snorkling experience. Expected beauty. Found sea life/reef dull and lifeless. Very difficult to get into/out of the water from the resort dock almost impossible from water's edge. Both entries very dangerous. The resort needs to explain why they have a concrete pad under the beach volleyball court. Very dangerous. Several in our group with injuries from volleyball play. Expected good food received bland/tasteless food. It became a joke with our group to find good food. The hand rail in the main pool area needs to extend all the way up to the very first step. The second pool does not even have a hand rail. Both impoosible for the handicapped individuals in our group to get in and out of the pools by themselves. Not impressed with Olympus Tours. We lost our booked/paid for far in advance through travel agent at home, scuba tour. They said they were full up. I showed our travel agents guranteed itenrary papers. It did not matter. They found a spot for him two days later but this put this scuba diver at risk for air travel the next day - which is why he was booked two days earlier not the afternoon before air travel. I also had the issue of transportation to ferry and back to resort on two days of off island tours, again paid in advance. Again I showed Olympue Tours our guranteed papers. He took papers to his boss and two days later it was approved. Olympus Tours confirmed two pickup times to meet tours. One on island and one after ferry ride to mainland. Both had our group in panic when Olympus Tour Guide finally showed up an hour late. Then the mainland tour guide was telling us that they might not get us back to catch the last ferry to Cozumel. We did not need this added hassel and stress from Olympus Tours on our vacation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

On behalf of all the staff and particularly the general manager we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel in Cozumel for your recent vacation and for writing your constructive reviews on Tripadvisor.

We apologize for all the inconveniences you and your friends suffered during your stay in our hotel.

Regarding your comment about snorkeling, while it is true that we are close to the reef area, there are not many formations at the shore. Reefs are located deeper. The main reason for locating a pier with a ladder is precisely because the entrance of our beach is rocky and since we are located in a natural protected area, we cannot alter in anyway the entrance to the ocean.

We are sorry to hear that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level in terms of the quality and taste of the food. We already shared it with our new chef in order to improve it. Our guests’ entire satisfaction is our primary goal so thank you for sharing this feedback.

Regarding the hand rail in the pool area it is true that the rail does not extend all the way up to the first step, we promise that we will work on this situation as we know it is essential for persons with certain disabilities.

We are also passing your comments to the main office of Olympus Tours about all the incidents that you experienced with your excursions.

Again, we take into consideration all the concern issues you brought up to our attention, and we will definitely work on all of them.

We hope that in the future you and your friends can give us the opportunity to welcome back to Iberostar Cozumel to show you our improvements.

Best Regards

Been to Iberostar Cozumel? Share your experiences!