“Best dive trip ever, with Alex Scuba!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: SCUBA Diving in Cozumel has become more a business than an adventure. Alex Scuba goes back to the basics, rescuing the true spirit of diving and helping every diver experience the excitement of exploring Cozumel’s underwater world. Alex Scuba delivers a great experience with their patient, friendly staff, an easy-going, laid-back atmosphere at every stage of your diving trip/SCUBA course AND their sincere desire to make your diving experience the highlight of your vacation!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Nashua
“Best dive trip ever, with Alex Scuba!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I had the great pleasure of diving with Alex Scuba on February 11th and 14th . We were staying downtown at the Casa Mexicana (great hotel) and they picked us up right across the street at the Dive Safari Pier. Out of respect, we arrived at the pier on-time and they were already there when we arrived.

We were greeted on the pier by Tiffany. “Tiff” is an expat from Canada and we immediately felt comfortable with her. Tiff is a very skilled diver, she has a GREAT personality and she really cares for her divers. The other dive masters were very skilled as well and patient. We felt very, very well cared for by these very experienced dive masters, Jonathan and Carlos. Carlos was the best dive master I ever dove with, period.

The diving was amazing!!! It’s Cozumel with some of the best diving in the world!!
On Wednesday we dove (aboard Oceano IV) Santa Rosa then Punta Tunich. Both are amazing wall dives. We saw lots and lots of big sea creatures, including a HUGE Moray Eel, a HUGE ray the size of my car and a zillion turtles, both big and small! I can’t list all of the amazing creatures we saw.

Oceano IV is a very, very nice boat with a nice bridge with a great view and a bathroom too! Every time we surfaced the boat was right there, with no swimming necessary. The boat operator was very skilled.

On Friday (on Tara II) we dove Palancar Caves (STUNNING!) followed by Punta Tunich a second time. The caves and were truly spectacular with “swim throughs,” amazing coral/rock formations and of course, lots of sea life. Tara II was very fast!! Again, every time we surfaced the boat was waiting right there with no swimming necessary. The boat operator was very skilled. Cold water and fruit was provided on both trips.

I had the best time diving with Alex Scuba and highly recommend them for both beginner and experienced divers. For sure, I will be diving with them again next trip!!!!!

Visited February 2014

Teaneck, New Jersey
“A fantastic experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Alex took me and my two sons, ages 14 and 11, for a DISCOVERY scuba dive. I have gone diving in the past but they had never been. He and his crew were fun, patient, and careful, and we shared one of the most memorable experiences we've had. I would unhesitatingly recommend Alex for anyone, adults or families, and if (when?) I am back in Cozumel I would definitely go back for more dives with Alex.

Sept Iles, Canada
“Advanced certification and diving”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Alex and his crew were great. My son did his open water and i did my advanced certification. We did some awesome dives and his whole crew was friendly and very professional.

Victoria, Canada
“Not diver focused”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

I went diving with Scuba Alex, for my fist two dives after certification. They were very easy to deal with and great communication before boarding the boat. I had some troubles with a late ferry and Alex was very accommodating for the pick up.
Alex only met me on the dock and once on the boat, I was with his DM Raul. This is where it went south. No one had asked to see a cert card, no release to sign. Raul's dive brief was a minute long and there were no buddy pairing, although there were a handful of solo divers. The first dive went well, with no problems. The second dive was something of a different story. The second brief was the name of the site, the depth and let's go. I explained, before the first dive that I sometimes have a problem equalizing one ear. On the first dive, it took time to get everyone sorted and bouncy sorted, so we were slow. second dive, Raul was in the water and everyone was gone. I tried to follow and descend slowly, but I had to get down or lose them. Near the end, I was running low on air, I'm a big guy and use air quicker than most. I tried several times to signal, but I finally had to go tap him and show my SPG and start to surface he really didn't seem concerned.
I would not recommend Scuba Alex. The diving was great. Cozumel is amazing. Alex's DM was not there for his divers... Bottom line. In addition, there were two groups, 13 divers total and a very slow boat.
A very mixed experience.

Visited January 2014
alejandro o, Propietario at Alex Scuba, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
First at all, thanks for the review, not only hearing that our divers had a good time is nice but also is good to know that some aspects may requiere our attention to be improve or change.
Regarding your first comment about the ferry being late and your critic tittle "No diver focused":
Just rigth there I can tell you that we do care for our divers....for all of them, would you be diving with some other dive operation, your trip would never take place since you were late (not your fault, it was a ferry issue but still...you would have "lost the train")
You are right: I "only" meet you at the dock and did not went diving with you, i apologize for that BUT just for you to know: i went under surgery in December 9th...doctor prohibited me to dive for at least 1 month...so.. the whole month of december and the fisrt week of January i was "only meeting" my divers at the piers.
Raul is being working with me for many years, he is a MSDT from PADI...so.. it was not just a random Divemaster i chose out of the blue to take the trip out.
I know that he does a good job but I also know that sometimes (and you will find out about this as you acumulate more dives and experience) personalities and why nots dont perfectly match bewten divers and guides...not making an excuse...im just telling you how it works.
I agree with yuo:

we are not that "great" on accumulating paper work and "checking" certification cards:

there are some reasons for that...perhaps the most importan is that WE do trust on people word: If a person tells me that he or she is a Certified diver...I DO believe that...I dont see why somebody should be liying about that!! on my eyes: that would be kind of dumb.
No Releases...believe.. signing in a paper tha basically say that a dive shop IS NOT responsible for whatever may happend to you do NOT bring any extra safety for your self or the dives...I can also understand how filling up a bunch of papers may have this placebo efect on some divers and making them feel that they are diving with a professional dive operation...but...i prefer to save some trees and dont be buried on a pile of paper work...However: this review may push me towards considering being more carefull about it and beging to " dont trust" on people when they tell me that they are or not certified divers.

I already spoke with Raul to be sure that his briefing has to be longer that a minute, thanks for pointing this out, since the dive briefing is the key of succes to minimize tha odds to have problem in the water. Again, you will find out that some DM and or instructors spend more time that others giving a briefing, but its also true that the lenght a briefing is not a sign of the quality of the briefing: its not how long the briefing last but what the content of the briefing what really matters...still... I spoke with him and my other Instructors to be sure that briefings are longer that a couple of minutes.
About the second briefing: unless that we have specific instructions about the second dive... there is not a real need to explain all the boat procedures, hand signals, etc for a second time in the same day: name of the place, maximun depth and dive time and perhaps a remainder of how important is to check your air is more that sufficient...this is our opinion.

According to Raul, and of course I was not there to verify this, the group waited for you to come down on the second dive as well...some dives shops would give you 3...may be 4 minutes to clear equalize your ears and no more...if you can not do it on this time frame you should go back to the boat. We always wait for all the divers to make it to the bottom...even that this imply having the divers waiting at the sand until the diver with ear issues make it down...I have to say, we had being very lucky to have divers that understand that this can hapend to anybody any day and they had being always very kind and easy on not complaning about "wasting time of their dives" waiting for divers that cant or dont know how to equalize. Sorry about your ears by the way.

Im glad that you managed to get to Raul and let him know that you were running low on air...Im also happy to know that you made it to the surface without having any problems on this kind of situation... Raul was "not concern" about it because you are a certified diver...right? so.. as part of your training you know what to do when you are low on air...and you did.. you let him know and then went up in a normal ascent. Divers run low on air often and its NOT a situation that we consider as an Emergency. We are not going to get all frenetic and worry because a diver is LOw on air...as long as we know that the diver has enought air to make it safetly to the surface.

If a diver is Extremely low on air..we will escort him to the surface for sure.

If its true that in Cozumel a DM or Instructor has to be in the water with the divers at all time.. its also true that yuo will dive, may be, in the future in places where the DM will stay on the boat and just be sure that he has the same number of divers at the end of the trip that the ones he had at the beginin.

Yes, we like to help divers when they have problems BUT a Divemaster is NOT a babysitter.

Yes, a Divemaster should check on his divers often BUT its the responsability of the divers to be sure that they are ok.

Yes. the Divemaster can help you with many issues you have BUT he can not equalize yuor ears for you

Yes, there were 13 divers in a boat... BUT the dive groups were 2...meaning that you went diving with 1 guide and another 5 divers...i dont know what its your idea of diving in a Small group but 6 divers...even 7 and 1 Divemaster is a very decent small group.

Yes, our boat is NOT a fast boat but i will not label it as a slow boat either...a fair "in betwen" it is what our boat is... its a Big boat which means that you can walk... lay on the upper deck...get some privacy if you go the bow of the boat...have acces to a bathroom...shade if you dont like to be under the sun...so... some very nice features that you dont get in a Small Fast boat.

I do appreciate your review and as i say: we will keep it in mind to improve our service.

My recommendation for you, base on your review, is:

Next time make your reservation with a dive operator that runs Fast boats, request a Private Divemaster (its going to cost you some extra money of course) that will be focus only on you, that way he will wait all the time you need to be sure that your ears are fine and you dont feel like you are being left behind also...that he will come witn you to the surface when you are low on air.

and finally...plan your diving day to avoid being late for the pick up....must of the dives shops will not even try to switch meeting points just to show you that the are diver focused.

Thanks for the review

Alex
Boise, Idaho
9 attraction reviews
“Amazing experience with Alex Scuba!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

My husband and I decided to go diving with Alex Scuba based on the reviews we read on Trip Advisor. We were on a 7 day Caribbean Cruise and wanted to go with a reputable company as opposed to diving with an unknown company through the cruise line.

Alex's communication from when I first contacted him via email up to the day we went on our dive was fantastic! He answered all of my questions and was very quick to respond every time I emailed him.

We had a great time diving with Alex and his crew. The whole experience was so enjoyable and completely stress free. My husband and I met them over at a dive shop behind the EL CID hotel. We did a 2 tank boat dive. Alex and his crew took care of our gear from beginning to end. Everyone was so friendly! There were only about 12 of us on the boat including the crew, so it was a small group. My husband and I are just recently got certified, so Alex and one of his crew members stayed close by and made sure that we were doing well the entire dive. They did a good job of explaining how they wanted us to get off and back on to the boat and giving us instructions on who to follow and what to expect on our dive.

Our second dive site was called San Francisco. It was absolutely breath taking. The color of the reef and the fish were brilliant. We saw a couple of nurse sharks and a HUGE lobster! It really was a wonderful experience.

My husband and I both highly recommend Alex Scuba if you are going diving in Cozumel. We definitely plan to return to Cozumel in the near future to dive with Alex and his crew again.