“Great place to stay for diving in Cozumel.” 5 of 5 stars

You added Blue Angel Resort to your Saves list
Blue Angel Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2.2 km Costera Sur, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

My buddy and I stayed at the Blue Angel Resort in Cozumel, Mexico Dec 4-11. For the last 5 years or so it has been called the Caribe Blu. It is located on the oceanfront between the two cruise ship piers and right next to the lighthouse. I've been staying there for the last 6 years and the owners continue to improve and develop the resort. I noticed a new matress and AC unit in my room this time. The rooms are quite roomy and clean. I also received free laundry service, but tipped nicely. While this is not a 5 star resort in most people's view, it certainly is in mine. Room service is available from the attached restaurant-Rendez-Blu if desired. I noticed numerous new plants/foilage, new pool lounges, new lighting, new concrete walkways and new dressing rooms this trip. They also have a resident pet turtle who wanders the grounds. The shore diving is free and there is much to see, eels, lobsters, rays, balloon fish, coral shrimp, squid, octopus etc. The attached Dive Shop again provided outstanding service to me and the divers I dove with. Of particular note, Jorge, one of the divemasters, has to be one of the best on the island. If you are looking for a particular fish or creature, he can find it for you. I feel honored to have been able to dive with him over the years. I see him take extra time with newer divers if needed. The dive shop boats are small fast boats which means a short ride to the dive site. I like! The staff lets you dive your own profile and pick out which site you wish to dive. Try getting that kind of service at other places.
The food at the attached restaurant was excellent. The fish dishes I had were fresh and better than anything I've had at Red Lobster. The steaks I had were also better than Applebee's/Ruby Tuesdays. Mmmmm.
This resort is a divers dream. For shore dives/snorkling, you can gear up on the deck at the dive shop, then walk 20 feet to the ocean. For boat divers, the boats pick you up at the resort pier. I can't really think of anything that I wanted for.
I give the Blue Angel resort a 10/10.
I will post some photos next week.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Pawleys Island, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

Late Trip Report July 25--August 8, 2009

First of all, we've stayed at this hotel multiple times in the past, even when it was Lorena. This is the BEST this hotel has ever looked!

THE STAFF: There seems to be a new pride in every employee, both familiar faces and new. The front desk manager Andrea, goes above and beyond the call of duty; her communications skills and willingness to be helpful were observed daily.

CLEANLINESS: The rooms, bathrooms, lobby, pool deck & restaurant are kept spotless.

THE GARDEN: The grassy area surrounding the pool deck is a huge improvement to the look and feel of the place. It looks even better than pre-hurricane days. The gardener does an excellent job.

THE RESTAURANT: One of the biggest reasons we will keep returning to BAR is the improvements to the restaurant, i.e. enlargement, extended hours, cleanliness and quality of food. Breakfast was excellent, especially banana pancakes. Dinners were devine (best lasagna we've ever had) and the view is spectacular. Louis' talents as a cheif have been unleased and everything we tried was as good or better than old familiar places in town. We loved not having to get dressed up and take a taxi to dinner -- the food was that good.

ROOMS: They are remodeling some rooms. We just hope that in this process, the uniqueness of this hotel is not destroyed and that the prices do not skyrocket. Room cleanliness remains impeckable.

DIVE SHOP: We cannot comment on the dive shop (avid snorkelers only) but have heard many favorable comments by other guests while we were there.

New Pool & Lobby/Lounge Furniture: One of the biggest improvements are the comfy pool lounges! Matching lobby furniture is also very attractive. Music and candles in lounge area in the evening are nice new touches.

LAST: Reminder: This review is based on hotels we have stayed in Mexico and other Caribbean Islands, NOT 5 star US hotel standards.

Bob & Donna, 24 year Cozumel Veterans

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

We have stayed at Caribe Blu a couple times and took advantage of their great stay & dive packages. Both times we were extremely pleased with the accommodations, dining & quality of service we received from everyone on staff. The divemasters have been excellent (Jorge & Jose) and Allex at the front desk makes you feel at home. Allex has always gone out of his way to make sure we are having a fabulous stay and gets to know each guest by name. The warm welcome every time you return to the hotel is refreshing and one of the main reasons we go back.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

We visited Cozumel for one week with some friends. We chose this place because one of our friends had previously stayed at the hotel. As a diver, he thought this was one of the best dive shops around, with good prices and good diver masters. He realliy liked the hotel too. We are glad he recommended it.

This was my most relaxing vacation ever! And, I've traveled to over 30 countries. The staff was very attentive and friendly, rooms spacious and clean, restaurant was yummy and cheap, and although I'm not a diver, my friends really enjoyed the diving trips. I did go snorkeling one day which was a lot of fun! The package deals are great, cheap, and include breakfast and lunch. You can walk to town within 10-15 minutes and there is an excellent beachfront restaurant next door that all the local go to on Sundays. All the staff had great recommendations and it was fun to get to know them during our stay.

We visited soon after the flu outbreak, so there were nights were we literally were the only ones in the hotel. It is unfortunate for them (and all the other businesses in Cozumel, and Mexico overall), but was cool to have the hotel to ourselves. Hopefully, business has picked up in the past few months...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

We stayed and dove with Blue Angel in July 2009. The staff was GREAT and the food at Rendez Blu was very good. We'll be back SOOOOON!!!

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

Caribe Blu is under new ownership this year which has only improved it's island flavor. Overall the hotel is cleaner, neater, and the employees happier, which made the stay even better than before.The new owners retained virtually all the old staff which added to the friendliness as one sees familiar faces and "friends" upon returning. Breakfast is now included daily and divers have lunch included on days they dive with Blue Angel. the on site dive shop. Next door the restaurant has been expanded and now includes a dinner menu and later bar hours, great for divers and those who want to linger rather than having to go into town to eat.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Blue Angel Resort? Share your experiences!