“Amigos is a misnomer” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Amigos Hostel Cozumel

You added Amigos Hostel Cozumel to your Saves list
Amigos Hostel Cozumel
Calle 7 Sur # 571 | between Ave 30 & 25 Col. Centro, Cozumel 77600, Mexico (Formerly Amigo's B&B Cozumel)   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Amigos is a misnomer”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2005

My daughter and I stayed at Amigos B&B during Easter week 2005. The pool and gardens reminded us of the Garden of Eden; but, there were some problems.

1) Our room had black mold and mildew, and when I told Kathy, the owner, she did nothing to rectify the problem.

2) The airconditioners are extremely old. They're loud and noisy and do not work very well. It took a long time for our room to cool down, and we were not allowed to keep the AC on when we were out of the room.

3) The owners do not make you feel like "Amigos."

We really enjoyed the other guests at the B&B, many of whom were British. But Kathy Kopelman was quite inhospitable to us -- even though her husband is very gracious, she is very standoffish and not very warm to her guests.

When I made my initial reservation, I told Kathy that we had a 6 p.m. flight -- our airline only had one flight back to our home each day. So Kathy told me that after we left our room we could leave our bags in the palapa area until it was time to go to the airport. On our departure day, Kathy was obviously miffed when I asked her if we could leave our bags in the palapa area. It was quite clear that she wanted us out. So we hailed a taxi and spent the rest of the afternoon in the Cozumel airport.

We loved Cozumel and will return someday; however, due to the way were treated, we will find another place to stay.

• Stayed March 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2005

I traveled as a 'guest' with my Daughter and her Family. The grounds were fantastic, as was the pool. The room was also above expectations. But, the Ms., running the place, thought she was a drill sargeant with all her rules, most of which were common sense. Being on vacation, shame on me, I didn't feel I had to sit down and read the extensive list of rules. So, naturally, I became the center of 'attack'. Myself and the Ms. instinctively did not hit it off well, to say the least. They have bicycles for use that there are only 1.5 of the 5 total, barely rideable. Crime in Cozumel is nearly extinct, and always has been, but the Ms. was upset because I didn't ask for a lock to lock up the one half decent bike I used to go to the cleaners with. Bikes are a great way to take care of errands or just go sightseeing on, in Cozumel. I had to rent a bike to circumnavigate the Island with. (This was my 4th trip to the Is.) The breakfast was way less than what I was expecting, as I left hungry. The Mr. was great the only one time we saw him. That was another good point, you never were bothered by the proprietors, unless you broke a rule! I definitely would not stay there again. And yes, I do plan on traveling to Cozumel again!

• Stayed July 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2005

The accomodations at Amigo's B & B was nice . . . . for the price. The grounds were very well kept and the pool was great. Bathrooms did need some work as there was a mild stench emanating from the Shower drain. And the sink in the "kitchenette" leaked. But Cozumel or Mexico for that matter, is not known for it's fabulous plumbing. Breakfasts consisted of cereal and a tray of fruit. (again...for the price) As for the hospitality, for the most part the owners were nice and left you alone but on occasion it seemed like you would catch them on a "bad day". Not good for one who works in the "hospitality business". Looking back it seems the Amigo's cat was more hospitable. He never had a bad day. And for next time we will find another place to stay.

• Stayed July 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2005

I loved Amigo's! The Kopelman's (owners) were wonderfully sweet and everything was just gorgeous! The rooms were clean with private baths and kitchenette. Maybe the beds were a little lumpy and the pathway needed more lighting during the night. Also, the description of a TV and DVD are misleading since there is only one set to be shared with the whole place, no TV/DVD in privacy of room. However, these are the biggest problems, which are definitely outweighed by the coziness and personal touches of the place. The garden is just luscious and so beautiful to come "home" to. Definitely a better choice than the corporate, boring, giant and impersonal hotel chains....get the Cozumel charm by staying here!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2005

Do not hesitate to book here if you are looking for a quiet location that is close to downtown. We stayed here for 2 nights in mid-March 2005 with our 2 children. The room was large enough for all of us and the covered porch was a real plus for a little extra room. The rooms were clean and nicely decorated. The gardens in which the rooms are located were beautiful and the pool offered a refreshing break from salt water at any time. The breakfast is simple (menu on their website), serve yourself style and fresh drinking water is available at all times. We walked to the ocean each night without a problem. You do walk through Cozumel's residential neighborhoods (which we thought was great) but this may be an issue for some who are not comfortable after dark in a foriegn country. If you are on the fence about this property, I would encourage you to try it and get a taste of Cozumel living.

Windsor, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2005

We had a wonderful time at Amigo's the week of Feb. 26th. We stayed in the Avocado room, which is the smallest, but perfect for the 2 of us. The grounds were beautiful, lots of fruit trees and flowers. The pool was clear and cool(just right for a hot afternoon dip) and we were the only ones using it. Breakfast was also good with lots of fruit, cereal, bread and occasionally, a hot entree. Plus we met lots of interesting people. The location was good - in a neighbourhood, but close enough to the town center and the waterfront that everything was in walking distance. We had a lovely visit and will definitely return.

• Stayed February 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2005

Great value. Quiet neighborhood within walking distance from downtown. Wonderful pool, courtyard and palapa area. In a fun way, Amigo's is similar to a youth hostel for adults. We met other travelers with an adventurous spirit. We'll definitely book our next Cozumel stay at Amigo's.

• Stayed September 2004

Been to Amigos Hostel Cozumel? Share your experiences!