“Very Nice + buts” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Asheville, North Carolina
“Very Nice + buts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Stayed 10 days at Flamingo. Solo traveler, male, American. Very nice rooms, very clean and one of the most comfortable beds I slept on ever! Very low priced breakfast that is wonderfully presented, if you choose the upgrade from the continental. No robe as mentioned on site.

The staff seemed very nice and genuinely concerned with your comfort, at first. As time went on it became evident that it was more than a little disingenuous on the part of the 'male' contingent. Batman's TwoFace. Beware of some of the recommendations made by the staff.

I had a terrible experience with Aquatic Sports, who hooked me up with a 'dive master' Christobel, who should not be in the business. Since there were only myself and another couple (very experienced) on the dive, I expected to receive some personal attention. I had not been diving since receiving my Open Water PADI in 1998. Much to my disappointment, I received very little and a "don't care attitude" I found very offensive. This was NOT a SAFE DIVE. I didn't make the second dive on the trip because I didn't want to dive with Chris again. In addition, the Owner of the store proceeded to "forget" to bring my $10 change from the $100 given to pay for the trip. Again, don't care attitude. I left it for the boat Captain and mate as tip. Not much honor with these people. As for Flamingo, the manager, rather than trying to mitigate, suggested that maybe I should try another Dive Shop. No, really? Though he did offer to repay the $10.

Isis Scooter rental around the corner, excellent. A highlight of the trip, being able to travel about town and the Island. El Amigo Abelardo across the street, EXCELLENT place for breakfast or lunch.

Have to WARN, there are dogs on the roof of neighboring property to Flamingo that bark ALL the time, and I mean all the time. Water pressure very low, but maybe this is island wide. It would help to fix the leaking shower head. Hot water was sporadic. WiFi did not reach many of the rooms, if this is important to you. It has to be used from the lobby, or the day bed located on the floor. Heard one complaint that the air conditioning did not work in their room.

Room Tip: Third floor is very quiet, but I don't think noise is a problem anywhere.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
hotelflamingo, Owner at Flamingo Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your room and the bed as well as the breakfast aspect of your stay. I am sorry about your experience with Aquatic Sports. We have been using them for over 10 years and they have always received excellent reviews. I am not familiar with this dive master that you spoke about, but I will pass on the information to the owner of Aquatic Sports so that he is aware. You can write a review in trip advisor about Aquatic Sports if you wish as well.

Best Regards

Thomas Fryer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My wife and I wanted to get away form the big hotels and decided on Hotel Flamingo. We stayed for two weeks with the GREAT staff at Hotel Flamingo. We had a spacious and wonderfully decorated room. The entire hotel was always super clean. The staff are GREAT from breakfast to the end of the day. There are several great restaurants within a 2-15 minute walk from the hotel and a bakery around the corner and down a block. We had wonderful time and will definitely be back for another stay. Thank you again to the wonderful staff at Hotel Flamingo.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a great place to stay while diving or fishing, the Flamingo is it! The rooms are nice, plenty of space. The hotel is very boutique and has an excellent island vibe.

This is the type of place you stay at while exploring the island. A great place to place your head at night while you explore all the magic Cozumel has to offer.

Ivan is the best. Not only did he serve perfect drinks he always engaged me when I walked in or out. By the end of my stay I felt like I had been included in the Flamingo Hotel Family. Always a kind word and a excellent recommendation for anything I asked about. The service was first rate, the rooms are really clean and nicely appointed. I will be staying here again!

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We stayed here after reading previous reviews and because of the location, being close to the town and walking distance to the ferry. We were really happy with our choice as it was exactly as described. The owner was extremely helpful and the bar staff could not do enough to assist or make suggestions about places to visit or eat. The breakfasts were great and the rooms very clean and nicely decorated. I would stay here again and recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

We stayed a week at the hotel with our two small dogs. The staff was great, the rooms were clean and very comfortable (great beds). It was fun to be so central and be able to walk to places- including the ocean... a few blocks down we were able to snorkel and swim.

Room Tip: No pool or fitness center. Although we did go across the main street and snorkel in the ocean!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

The title is a direct quote from my husband and is indicative of how much we truly enjoyed our five days and celebration of a really big anniversary at The Hotel Flamingo! We traveled to Cozumel in early June and selecting this hotel made our stay a joy for sure! From the owner's personal contact when I was making reservations and his room recommendation to our greeting by Adrian and personal attention by him, Ivan, and Hector thru the delicious breakfasts and beautiful towel sculptures by Elizabeth, our stay here felt both homelike and special. All of the staff were so friendly and helpful with everything from renting a moto to special beaches to finding a sailboat for our anniversary celebration! We were surprised upon return from sailing to find our room lovingly decorated for the occasion! The lobby/bar area is the perfect place to meet in late afternoon and evening for Ivan's deliciously fresh margaritas and chatting with the others staying at this finely tuned boutique hotel. Our room was a cool, tiled, comfy, well decorated retreat after days on the water and beaches. You can easily walk to local restaurants and the shops and plaza area full of entertainment in the evenings. We highly recommend Hotel Flamingo for those who prefer smaller hotels with character, personal attention, and charm!

Room Tip: Room 32 is definitely wonderful with a huge king bed, high ceilings, and a view of the water from th...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I would return, great value. Great style and decor. Breakfast was good. Staff was great. (Outstanding towel sculptures!!) I loved the bed and the room layout.

Room 32: Streetside, terrace sliding door had no screens. The terrace isn't really a terrace, its very narrow; if you sat out there, you'd be wedged between the raling and door, staring at the A/C not able to enjoy the view. Couldn't leave the door open without either noise or mosquito attacks, so i kept the room closed up and with A/C -- not my favorite, and the AC was very loud so i had to find the single adjustment of lower fan (not low) and higher temp to be comfortable but this was also wasteful and covered the noises i'd enjoy.

I beg hotels to not stock the mini-bar with just Snickers and Pringles. PRINGLES?? Hella toxic. Maybe some trail mix ?

Location is good too!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Been to Flamingo Hotel? Share your experiences!