“Amazing place! Better than the pictures!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel B Cozumel

You added Hotel B Cozumel to your Saves list
Hotel B Cozumel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Playa San Juan Km 2.5 | Zona Hotelera Norte, Cozumel 77600, Mexico (Formerly Hotel Fontan Cozumel Dive Resort)   |
Ranked #16 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
“Amazing place! Better than the pictures!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

I was worried about this place because of the last reviews but it turned out to be a great place, very friendly people, great service, amazing view! Will come back anytime!!!
Two things:
1. The standard room is located in the fourth floor, take that into consideration when you order.
2. The hotel sells packages for 200$ for a day for outsiders to use the pool and jacuzzi which mean it's crowded during the day.

• Stayed September 2013
HotelBCozumel, Director General at Hotel B Cozumel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear guest
greatly appreciate the time you took to write this review and we are very pleased to hear how much you enjoy our facilities, team B will be very happy to know that their efforts are making a memorable stay for you .
Regarding t to the beach club, guests always come first so gladly we aside chairs for our guests I hope that on your next visit can highlight this service.
again thanks for your comments is because of you that we can improve every day as a boutique hotel and offer unique experiences
have a great day
sincerely
Beatriz Tinajero

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Hebrew first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

First time to stay at Hotel B and was impressed with beautiful view, pool, grounds and service. The maintenance and housekeeping was great with quick response to requests, such as extra towels. We did not like the water in open pitchers in the rooms as they seemed to attract bugs. Refills for the water was provided for in the hallways in spigoted containers. We asked for and did get bottled water one day. We would recommend that they provide bottled water to everyone. Wifi worked great everywhere despite warnings it might only work in the lobby. The snorkeling right off the property is fantastic and you can view many beautiful sea life. Only complaint would be the beach club that tends to monopolize the poo/spa/chair areas on weekends and the music was very loud. Breakfasts that came with the room were attractive, plentiful and delicious.

Dear guest
have a great day
sincerely
Beatriz Tinajero
Naperville, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I have never visited a vacation hotel more than once a year until I found Hotel B. It is an absolute paradise! We stayed in room 107 which was 3rd from the far end of the building away from the restaurant and reception side of the building. For those who commented on bad internet reception, all I can say is you can’t get a room much farther away and I downloaded a 90 minute movie in less than 8 minutes. I never have internet connection issues anywhere on the property. I would say I accessed my e-mails at least 15 times per day from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.

The staff was always professional and attentive. The new manager Ajax greeted guests during breakfast and in the afternoon by the pool. He always wanted to make sure you had everything you needed. It is clear to see that under his management the strong service levels will continue. Of note, Ceasar, Segei, Henry, Jose, and Javier were all very attentive. For those North Americans who say it took a long time to get their breakfast checks, just ask when they bring your entrée. It is customary that you ask, they don’t normally just drop the check. This should not be interpreted as a sign of poor service.

The snorkeling off the property is amazing. I will post some pictures. It has tons to look at and I even saw a stingray! There are easy to use stairs and a ladder behind the hot tub. I generally snorkeled at least 2 times each day. You can check out pool towels at the front desk each day and they are very large and very thick!

Happy hour is fun from 5-7 and the food was very good. I had shrimp tacos that were outstanding.

If I had any negatives it would be that they allow pets. This trip there was a very well behaved dog that was not a problem when their owner was present. The issue happened when they left the dog behind and went to town for dinner. The dog would not stop barking for 2 hours from about 8-10. That was disturbing. Also as others have noted, a room refrigerator would be great.
The last two nights of our trip we made plans to eat downtown, but after watching the sunset at the hotel and sharing a glass of wine we stayed and ate at the hotel. It was like our own personal resort (because there were so few people).

This is really a great property with caring people. I can’t wait to visit them again in December!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities, and I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to know their efforts are making a memorable stay for you. We are glad you like our Hotel setting of place, and our view´s room, we work every day to give our guests a perfect and unique journey, through our services, staff attention, workshops and activities…
Regarding the pet, we will ensure that the regulations of pet´s friendly rules are followed.
In relation to the mini fridge the recommendation to save energy is not to have it in every room , but of course we can provide you one on your next visit as request,
Looking forward to have you in December
Best regards
Beatriz Tinjero.
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Pros-
great pool /
beautiful views /
on north end of island away from all crazy downtown area

Cons:
-- Morning coffee luke warm every day
--Wifi was terrible, even after changing rooms
-- towels worn out & thin
--Tried to up charge us $40 per day for decorations in the room that were non existent
--A $45 miscellaneous charge was attempted on check out for soiling the bed which was false & after taking the manager to the room to prove the charge she saw it was made up & false

Have stayed in 8 different hotels in Cozumel Will NEVER stay at or recommend this hotel. To many other good & honest hotels close by.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
HotelBCozumel, Director General at Hotel B Cozumel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Hello,
I would like to thank you very much for having let your opinion on Tripadvisor.
We are glad to have received you at B, and glad to know that you enjoyed the view and the relaxing time on our pool area .
On the other hand, we are very unhappy to know about the situations that affected your experience in a negative way. Taking care and generating good and unique experiences of every guest that comes into B is our most important goal. I apologize for not achieving it with you. I already identified what went wrong during your stay so that it does not repeat in the future, making sure that every guest receives a fantastic service and everything they need to enjoy their stay.
I would want to share a few words about your observations and our measures to confront them. Regarding the Internet service, we should have much better signal strength by next month. We changed the company looking for a better service that we have not received and by the end of this month, that our contract finishes, we are changing again with a company that other colleges have confirmed works very well.
In relation to the upgrade fee, the real reason is that your were changed to a better room category that includes decoration among other things (view and balcony, flat screen, amenities, etc..). We will make sure that we give the complete explanation for future upgrades.
In relation to the mattress, this is a very sensitive issue that I understand and apologize for not managing it immediately and the right way. We already had a meeting to make sure that all our staff knows and follows our procedures in case we have special events, looking always to take care of our customers.
We would like to give us the opportunity to enhance a futur stay. We do listen carefully to your recommendations and we are great in offering special moments. We would love to offer your one in the future.
All the best,
General Management
Hotel B Cozumel
North Richland Hills, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

The hotel is actually very cute with a great view from every room and the rooms are a good size but that is where the good stops. The staff is very lacking when it comes to customer service. Towels are hard to come by...our second day the maid came and went and left us only 2 body towels and 1 wash cloth, when I tracked down the maid to get another wash cloth and a hand towel she had to radio the front desk to get approval to give us more towels. We were never given more shampoo or soap. Had to ask twice to get a broken lamp fixed. If you want ice you have to walk all the way down to the bar to get one scoop of ice or in my husband's case get sent to the kitchen and wait for them to get on the radio with the front desk to confirm we are staying there before they give the ice out. Water is left in your room in a ceramic pitcher (no bottled water). And if you would like beach towels you have to sign them out at the front desk. The 7am breakfast is usually not usually ready until 7:15 or 7:20 which is not good if you have to meet your dive boat at the marina by 8am. Most days it took at least 15 minutes to get a cup of warm, not hot coffee. Now, on the flip side of that I will say that the food was actually pretty good but the overall bad service is what stuck in my mind at the end of the day. It is a shame because this hotel is so cute and at a very nice end of the island. If the staff would be a bit more friendly and customer service driven this could really be a great hotel.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in room 406...our bathroom always had the smell of a sewer, even after the maid came and...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelBCozumel, Gerente at Hotel B Cozumel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear guest,
Many thanks for your feedback. We are always open to listen to our guest’s comments to improve our service.
We are glad you liked our rooms and view, and we are pleased you enjoyed our food.
As a serious company focused on offering a unique experience, I want to apologize for not accomplishing our goal during your stay.
We apologize for the customer service inconveniences and would like to let you know that we are working hard to improve the service. About the breakfast we already took note about your comments and in a couple of weeks we are presenting our new menu with other alternatives for Dir guests to choose in their included breakfast. In relation to the water as we put in all our rooms we want to minimize our environment impact by diminishing plastic waste, one of our efforts consist on substituting plastic bottles with artisanal ceramic containers, and contain 100% purified water, however we always can provide bottled water upon request.
As for The ice, we take the ice to the room upon request.
We will sure reinforce the coordination in our food and beverages department to make sure that our guests receive the unique and personalized service we offer in a consistent way.
It would be our pleasure to receive you again in the future and have the opportunity of changing your perception and experience with us. We are sure you will enjoy the uniqueness of our trademark, as we will make sure you receive the best from us from during your stay.
Many thanks again for your comments; they really make us improve as an Hotel Boutique.

Have a great day,

Covington, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is a fairly lengthy review and it is a short version of an email I wrote to the management of Hotel B after we spent 7 nights there from July 29th through August 5th, 2013. I wanted to give the hotel a 4 star rating but it's not quite up to a 4 yet, although it is working very hard to be. The management has already sent me a lengthy and comprehensive email in response to my concerns and assured me that they are working through all of the issues that I mentioned. If I sound rather picky it's because this could be a really great hotel in the future and, in my opinion, should be an adults only because it is perfectly designed for such a use. Here's our take on Hotel B...

First, we enjoyed our stay. I would stay with Hotel B again for the following reasons...

- It is close enough to town to walk but it's easy to get a cab. Each evening we took a taxi into town and walked back after dinner.
- The front desk was always personable and helpful.
- The room was always clean and fresh and the room attendant always made sure we had fresh water and towels.
- The limited items for breakfast were good, fresh and prepared properly. The lunch items were good and ceviche was delicious!
- There were always fresh pool towels available at the front desk.
- It was easy to make spa/massage appointments and the ladies who gave massages were absolutely professional and gave a wonderful, professional massage (we had 2 couples massages).
- The hotel is beautifully designed. We enjoyed the minimalist feel and the clean, white design.
- The seating around the pool, beach and deck areas were comfortable and we never had a problem getting a lounger. Of course, I believe the hotel was less than full so I don't know how this would be during a busy time.
- The rooms (the ones facing the ocean) have great views and chairs - very comfortable.
- The dive company (Scuba Du) is a very professional company & provides pickup from the hotel.

There were a few issues... We realize that this was an older hotel that had been redesigned and renovated. The price we paid was far below the "rack rates" which made our stay acceptable but, if we were paying the rack rate, which I think were upward of $250 per night (posted on the wall behind the front desk) then I would have been more critical about the shortcomings of the hotel...

- The water pressure in the shower was erratic. One day it would be good and the next day it would be poor.
- The shower would have very hot water in the hot water tap and it would have luke warm water in the cold water tap -- sometimes no real cold water at all. Then, sometimes, we would have all luke warm water and no hot water.
- When the people in the room next door would turn on their shower (at least we are assuming that is what it was) there would be a loud squeal that would last the entire time they were taking a shower. It woke us up a few times.
- The beds and pillows are extremely hard. These really need to be upgraded to get a true luxury feel.
- We kept having to run down to the restaurant to get ice for the room. It's okay if you are on the 2nd floor but if you are on the 4th floor it's a long trek to make up and down the stairs. The restaurant staff said that we could call them and they'd bring up the ice, but many times we didn't want to wait for that. An ice maker on the 3rd floor would help this situation.
- As I stated above, the breakfast was delicious but it was very limited. Perhaps adding a couple of items to the menu like an eggs benedict, pancakes and/or a breakfast burrito would be nice additions.
- The restaurant staff are a wonderful bunch of people. However, many times it took too long to get the check. Nobody was in charge of watching the tables to make sure diners didn't need anything. The restaurant was not busy at all at any time we were eating. I'm sure that if the restaurant was busy then the situation would have been much worse. Designating a host or hostess to watch over the tables would help this out.
- The room needs a mini fridge. (Management informed us in our email that we could request one and they would be happy to accommodate. We didn't even think of asking (our fault).
- The grotto area to go snorkeling is great but the area on the rocks to walk into the grotto is slippery and a hazard. I had to be very careful stepping into or out of the area.
- Various floor tiles were cracked throughout the hotel. There is one particular one in Room 411 that has a large chunk out of it.
- The coffee packets in the room were strange -- the coffee was good but the packets were odd. One day the packet would have everything included (coffee, filter, 2 sugars, 2 creams, 2 stirrers) and the next day the packet would be missing 1 sugar and 1 cream, or a filter and stirrer (I actually made coffee one morning using tissues from the bathroom because I didn't have a filter). Whoever supplies the hotel with the coffee packets is supplying sub-standard packets.
- VERY IMPORTANT.... the WiFi in the hotel is very sporadic. The 1st day we arrived we had WiFi in our room and all over the property. For the next 7 days we had no room WiFi and had to go into the reception or restaurant to access our email. This may not sound like a big deal as we were on vacation. However, we also had to work and have access to emails. We always choose hotels with free WiFi so that we can keep in touch with our offices via Skype & email. Also, because the WiFi was so bad it took forever to book our dives with Scuba Du. Apparently they use the hotels WiFi connection for credit card charges and a 2 minute transaction took over 30 minutes and the credit card machine still wouldn't pick up the WiFi signal so we had to use an old fashion credit card machine.

We are thinking about coming back to Cozumel in November for another dive/vacation trip. I'm considering staying at Hotel B again as we did have a good time. The design of the hotel, access to town and the wonderful staff were enough to make me want to use the hotel again.

The management has noted our concerns and have indicated that we should see a marked improvement next time we visit.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Like someone else who reviewed this place, i almost don't want to give great reviews because it really feels like a hidden secret. I can't wait to get back here. The room was comfortable and our room view was beautiful. We started our honeymoon in Tulum and finished in Cozumel here. We had a lazy day hanging here at the hotel which ended up being fairly active. Snorkeling right off the hotel was a lot of fun (however when we were visiting there was a strong current: beware). Even though there is no 'traditional' beach, i'll take the reef and the outdoor area any day. The 'beach' had very comfortable seating and the pool was also great. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. This place is 10/10!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel B Cozumel? Share your experiences!