“boutique, beauty, bargain” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel B Cozumel

You added Hotel B Cozumel to your Saves list
Hotel B Cozumel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Playa San Juan Km 2.5 | Zona Hotelera Norte, Cozumel 77600, Mexico (Formerly Hotel Fontan Cozumel Dive Resort)   |
Ranked #19 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“boutique, beauty, bargain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011 via mobile

Last year this was the Hotel Fontan, and I reviewed it positively as just right for independent travelers looking for value in a small and friendly hotel. I can say the same this year for the new and improved version...Hotel B, upgraded and somewhat more expensive but still a terrific value. Excellent full breakfast now included, also new furnishings and hip decor. The rooms could use a few more amenities and new tv's, but are otherwise comfy, clean and spacious, and all have an ocean view. There is excellent snorkeling right in front of the property, a dive shop, lovely pool and seaside jacuzzi. If you don't feel like going anywhere, you could be quite happy having meals in their intimate restaurant.... 6 ceviches to choose from! Otherwise, it's a $5 cab ride to town. We'll be back

• Stayed December 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Hebrew first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

Just returned from a 4 night stay (offered through Living Social) at Hotel B. I was traveling with my fiance and my sister for a fun Thanksgiving getaway. We had a great time!

Room - When we arrived, we were told we had first floor rooms (literally on the same level as the pool, facing the pool, not a stellar view). We requested rooms on the third or fourth floor and they were prepared for us within an hour. The rooms were very nice and staying on the third floor, we had lovely views of the ocean and pool below.

Service - Friendly, laid back. Nobody is in a rush but we didn't really expect anything different.

Food - We ate breakfast at the restaurant three out of the four mornings and it was very good each day. We also had dinner on our last night there. They set up a nice table right next to the ocean. The food was very good. We also had lunch by the pool on our last day. Delicious hamburger and fries. No complaints on the food.

Overall - We don't like huge resorts and being young adults without kids we aren't looking for places that cater to that. We also like to find our own things to do so we don't need a place that is going to "trap us" or overdo it with activities even though they can arrange those things if you want. This is definitely a laid back place for adults looking for value. I can easily say we would happily return to this hotel.

Thank you Beatrice, Alejandra, and Victor!

Room Tip: Third or fourth floor if you want a view
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Hotel B for 2 nights in the middle of our 2.5 week wedding/honeymoon vacation. I'm finding it difficult to share my opinions of the hotel since we stayed in 4 different hotels over our vacation and I did not find Hotel B was very comparable to the others.

Location - It cost 70 pesos to get down town (Centro - by the big Mexico flag). No taxi's seemed to be parked or waiting near the hotel so when we went out we'd have to ask front desk to call one for us and wait a few minutes - not a big deal but I thought it was odd not to have taxi's around.

Food - our package included American breakfast which was yummy. We could have bacon and eggs, omelettes, fresh juice, fruit, etc. We did not eat at the restaurant but had some snacks. The cheese sticks were very good and home made.

Room/Pool Service - VERY slow. They would sometimes over promise and under deliver. They'd say they will have breakfast ready in 15 min and 30 min later we still wouldn't have it. We'd ask for ice and have to call to follow up b/c we'd been waiting so long for it. We ordered drinks and snacks at the pool and we waited nearly 45 min. I asked for some additional ice for my drink which took a good 15 min as well. I can't blame the server, I think he was the only one working there so understandably he was pulled in different directions but he was personable and very friendly.

Front Desk - unfortunatly we did not have a good experience with the gentleman working at the front desk. I hate to say it but he seemed very lazy and like he didn't want to work. When we checked in he brought us to our room and the safe was not working so he said he would look into it and get right back to us. At this time we also asked him for the wireless internet info so we could get online. 45 min later we didn't hear back from him so my husband went to the lobby to follow up. The gentleman said the maintenance staff left for the day and we'd have to wait until the next day to get our safe working. This is not the problem, the problem was that he didn't come back to our room or call us to tell us this and instead we weer left sitting there waiting. We got the internet information but it did not work, he told us internet should be working the next day - it still wasn't. Our safe got fixed about 5 hours before we checked out.

Room/Hotel Apperance - I think it looks better in the pictures then it does in person. The hotel room looks "half finished", you could tell it was an old hotel with some modern touches and renovations but it looked like a job half done. The bathrooms were not renovated or modernized. The docor was "cool or neat" but looked a bit cheap. They literally are painted wooden crates on the walls and floors. The rooms did not have a mini-fridge, water and pop were not included. The bed linen's smelled very humid. We should have asked for a new set of linens but we were only there 2 nights. The beds were hard and uncomfortable - I never thought this would be something I would complain about but having slept in better accommodations these uncomfortable beds stuck out to me.

Pool Area/Beach - if you are looking for a nice beach this hotel does not have one. We knew this before we went so we were fine with that. The pool was a bit dirty with bugs floating in it. I don't think the filter was on but I'm not sure. Right next to the hotels property there is a crumbling building with debris on the ground - not very appealing. Hopefully some construction will be done on that building or Hotel B will put us some kind of wall/fence/divider.

Bugs - ok folks, I'm not one to complain and say I went to an island and got stung by a mosquito. There were a TON of mosquitos but the problem was that the hotel room door was not sealed properly. My husband and I spent most of the time in our room killing bugs/mosquitos (even lizards got in). I'm not talking a few mosquitos, I'm going to say 30+ in the room. We managed to find a way to seal the door with towels, blankets and napkins but once we selaed the door we stayed in for the night. Although it was hot we had to sleep fully clothed in hopes not to get eaten by the mosquitos.

Overall, we would not return to Hotel B again. It has potential to be a hip boutique hotel but they need to work on hiring more staff and better customer service, and better organizatin. I forgot to mention, but I did all my booking through email. I was told my credit card was charged and I would get a confirmation. I did not get a confirmation so I followed up before we left home to find out it got missed alogn the way (good thing I double checked!) When we were checking out of the hotel they told me my credit card had not been charged for the booking yet - I was under the impression it was. Truthfully my credit card had a ton of charges on it b/c we had several wedding/honeymoon related charges so I didn't recall specifically if there was one for Hotel B. Turns out they did not charge me when they said they would and after returning home I got an email saying they are charging my card now. It was a bit of a confusion and hassle since my budgeting got a bit messed up (I thought I had paid off all the travel expenses on my credit card when that was not the case). This could have been avoided with a bit more organization from there end.

I know this is my first "review" on TA but if you look at my post history I travel a lot. I really should post reviews more often but don't seem to find the time to do it. I hate to leave a so-so review but I was a bit disappointed with Hotel B, perhaps my expectations were just a bit too high.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Troy, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

After viewing the new photos of the old Fontain under its new managment and being one of the best rates in cozumel with an ocean view i booked 9 days there. The new hotel B had some cosmatic upgrades and noticiable additions. I had been at the old fontain last year so i know the changes that took place.The new sun decks with hamocks and fresh paint.The resuracted pool and Jacuzzi.the new room decores and front receptions,but the best overall improvments were done was to its staff and the quality services. They will go beyond most hotels in their level to make each guest comfortable and welcomed. they brought in quality control experts to talk to their guest and take daily notes of how to improve themselves. They wasted no time to implement those improvements and re check if its done right.The new owner herself is on the grounds daily inspecting the premises greeting guests and updating her staff .The B is the first letter of her first name i was told and the hotel is still in the Fonatin family not sold to a new party like many believe. she had picked the best of the Fontain hotel chain staff to be her crew in cozumel and you'll find out when you vist the Hotel B on the best stretch of crystal clear blue waters on the cost of cozumel.

Like all hotels there is always room to improve and grow and if this hotel keeps its course of daily managment and customer satisfaction it could be one great place to stay in over and over as i would be doing in the future if the rates stay where they are.............

Rafik. ....room 209

Room Tip: stay on the second or third level to get that fresh sea breez.........
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Kokomo, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

My wife and I just spent 5 days at Hotel B Cozumel and we were their first guests! We actually participated in the grand opening ribbon cutting ceremony and attended the opening night festivities. I would like to say that the newly renovated hotel is very, very nice. The pool and jacuzzi is very inviting and the view out the room's window is outstanding! The jacuzzi is located at the edge of the water with steps down to the sea where you can actually jump into the serene turquoise water and swim around to shore. There is very good snorkeling also right at the hotel's doorstep. This hotel is quiet and away from the hustle of the city just a short 5 minutes away. The staff is very helpful and goes the extra mile to make sure your stay is comfortable and your needs are met. I would highly recommend a visit to Hotel B...you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel B Cozumel? Share your experiences!