“Price: cheap. Room: Simple. View: AMAZING Location: Great!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Safari Inn

Save Saved
You added Safari Inn to your Saves list
Safari Inn
Rafael Melgar #429 between 5th and 7th Sts. | Downtown Waterfront, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #32 of 57 hotels in Cozumel
San Francisco, CA
“Price: cheap. Room: Simple. View: AMAZING Location: Great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This review is primarily on the hotel, but we also rented snorkel equipment from the dive shop downstairs. what a great find! very cheap hotel stay at a great location! sure its not a fancy hotel, but if all you need is a simple, clean room, with a great view, this is perfect. We got the room on the top floor with panoramic views of the carribean sea and cruise ship docks. See my pictures for the great view! The staff were great, and like I said, the dive shop rented snorkel equipment for us for 4 days at a very good price. very professional dive shop with all your needs it seems. all their scuba trips sound wonderful, so I will have to learn to scuba soon!
The only thing that was not great was the shower literally takes about 30 minutes to get hot water flowing, so it felt very wasteful running the shower for about 30-35 minutes before you can get in. its within walking distance of pretty much everything, including the ferry terminal! but we had a rentacar so we mostly drove, and spent all day driving around the island and
snorkeling everywhere we could. There is also a couch [altho a sad looking, hard couch haha] and also a working little mini fridge in the room! The cleaning lady made the towels into really great animal shapes everyday!! such as swans and even elephants.
Cozumel can be a very very touristy place, but we had a great low key stay at this hotel, and had a wonderful time! Would probably return if I am traveling on a budget to Cozumel again. Went in March 2012.

Room Tip: The top floor, ocean front room! also second floor, ocean front would be just as good probably
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Pros- Friendly staff, clean, sleeps 5 (king, twin & 2 bunks), free internet, free drinking water
Cons – Noisy (be awakened by the tank deliveries at 4 AM), street noise even in the back, but especially bad in the front, no place to sit in the room, no balconies except the street rooms (so no place to dry your dive stuff), one thin blanket on one of the 5 beds, noisy A/C, no fridge

If you are a group of guys looking for a cheap place to stay when you dive with Aqua Safari (downstairs) & need a cheap place to sleep & shower, this is a good option. If there are ladies along or non-diving spouses, spend a little more & go to the much better Casa Mexicana 2 doors down. In the interest of marital happiness, we moved and my non-diving husband was much happier (see my review of Casa Mexicana).

Room Tip: All rooms have street noise, but ones on street are especially bad.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Orem, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

But if your wife is anything like mine don't bring her here. It's not a romantic rustic mexican hotel but it is a great value with no frills and few creature comforts (they do have ac and hot showers). It is clean and in a good location. it has a sweet manager and a douche bag owner. It is great for 4 guys sharing a room and paying only $57 per night. You will not beat that price. No real views from the rooms I saw. It is NOT on the water but the busy street in front of the water. The lady manager is about as sweet as they come and the others working in the shop below we're also very nice. The owner, however, is a gutless wonder and seems to be a jerk. we got permission to park our rental car at night back by their shop. But after we pulled in the alley just as the owner was coming out one evening he sent his manager to tell us that we could no longer park there. We were never in anyone's way and the lack of parking complicated our activities. GREAT customer service...or not. So be aware there is NO parking here. You have to park many blocks away and walk or park on the street after 8 pm and move the car before 8am. Or you can pay for street parking but it is not always available. Also if you need Cuban cigars there are about 500 Mexican idiots on the same block that will sell them to you for, "almost free" they have also got, "what you need" and won't, "cheat you too bad." Gotta love their shear tenacity and stupidity.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Brooklyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was my third summer staying at Safari Inn and diving with the Aqua Safari on the ground floor. My visit was from Aug. 11-25. I had my same ocean-front room with king size bed and mini-frig. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and the showers hot.

The room was very spacious room, very clean with a balcony. I shared my room with a friend the first week and there was plenty of room for both of us; lots of storage space. There were two plastic chairs which I used as a clothes/gear dryer. There was also a couch with a foam mattress that could be used for a third person.

The location was convenient. It's was a five-minute walk to the Mega supermarket, the ferry station and lots of restaurants. This year I ventured to 30th Ave. and beyond to eat at more "local" taco and huaraches places which was a 10-minute walk from the Inn. I also tried Pescaderia San Carlos on Avenida 50 Bis, a 20- minute walk.

I always feel safe on Cozumel. It's not necessary to take taxis everywhere. Walking is part of the experience. I bring my camera and take lots of pictures. Just don't forget to take water and a hat.

Food: I made coffee in my room (I bring a tiny brewer) but if you want to eat a nice breakfast out, Costa Brava on Calle 7 off Melgar (around the corner from the Inn; opens around 7am) has a nice and reasonable breakfast.

A nice lunch spot near the Inn is Loncheria Sabores on Ave. 5 btw calle 3 & 5. Very inexpensive. It's in the owner's house. If you feel like a nice walk to the north end and you love fish, Albinos is still one of my favorites. They're on Ave. 20 btw calle 10 & 12 (closed on Wednesday; open 12-8).

El Mercado Municipal on the corner of 20th Ave & calle 3 is a fun place to have a fish lunch and shop for fruit like a local.

I like the Mayan dishes at La Choza on Ave. 10 btw Calle Adolfo Rosado Salas & calle 3. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Don't miss El Moro on Ave 75 Bis btw Calles 2 & 4. Great food and very friendly atmosphere (open for lunch and dinner; closed on Thurs).

La Perlita (calle 10th btw Ave 65 Bis and Ave 70) serves lionfish. Very good fish place.

El Pique has the best tacos (some say). They open after 7PM, corner of Ave 30 and Benito Juarez.

Chilangos Taqueria on Ave 30 btw calle 3 & Morelos is known for its huaraches. After I got home, I read that they also make tamales here. They open at 6 til late. You can eat for about $3 at El Pique and Chilangos.

For dessert, try the helados (ice cream) at corner of Juarez and Avenida 20. I love their homemade popsicles and my favorite was mango and chile. Spicy good. And less than a dollar.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
valley glen, california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

This was our first time to Cozumel and did not know what to expect or where to stay. We dove with Aqua Safari and the Safari inn is right above the dive shop and on the main street. We like the fact that we did not have to walk or travel far to get to the shop. We also like the fact that we can access their boat just across the street. If you read the reviews you will not be disappointed, I know we were not. As a matter of fact it was better. The room has no tv, hair dryer, or phone and they do have a cooler so you can keep your beer or water cold. The rooms are simple and clean and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: rooms 1 and 7 are larger and have a view of ocean
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Christiansburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

My dive buddy and I stayed at Safari Inn and dove with their dive shop, Aqua Safari the last month in May, 2012. Every part of our experience here was fantastic. The owner and staff are attentive to the guest's needs and go out of their way to help with scheduling dives, finding local restaurants and just about anything else we asked! The rooms were clean and comfortable, and a separate and very convenient area was made available for hanging dive gear. The diving with Aqua Safari was superb also. My dive buddy and I are both very experienced divers with hundreds of dives at spots all over the world, but this was our first trip to Cozumel. The dive guides they use are incredible. They have been diving the reefs here their entire lives and know them like i know my own neighborhood. They pointed out marine life that we would probably never have seen, and truly made each dive an enjoyable and informative experience. Top notch! On a few of our days here, we dove with the cattle boat because thee weren't enough divers for the fast boat. This allowed us to see first hand how well the dive guides worked with new or inexperienced divers - again top notch. We really felt like "part of the family" while we were here, and would definitely stay and dive here again - and again - and again!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ocean are probably nicer for couples and families, but for those coming to dive any...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Safari Inn in Cozunel during our dive trip in December. This hotel is eactly what it is advertised to be...simple, basic, comfortable, and affordable.

The staff is amazingly friendly and willing to meet any request...including switching us to another room due to an issue with the plumbing in our first.

The bed is comfortable. AC works great. Towels are a little aged but clean ones are brought every day. Bottled water is provided for brushing your teeth etc and there is even a small Igloo cooler in each room if you want to keep cold beverages onhand. There is ice availble for purchase from the dive shop down stairs. The view from the front three rooms is an amazing ocean view. All the others look at the building next door but you are literally 50 feet from the beach if you need a good look.

If you are diving, the rooms are all tile which is a great convenience. Also, you are immediately across the street from the Aqua Safari Pier. You can also rinse and store your gear in the dive shop downstairs. This is a major convenince because there are no eleveators and gear gets heavy if you have to haul it to the third floor every day.

There are tons of restaruants and shops nearby (and lots that aren't centered around the cruieships within walking distance). The cab ride from the airport is only $7 or $8.

If you are looking for something resort like for your stay, this may not be the place for you. However, if you are looking for a clean and friendly place to sleep and eat in between dives. the Safari Inn is perfect and I definately recommend it!

Room Tip: Request the front rooms if they are available...much better view.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Safari Inn? Share your experiences!