“Location, location, location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
Orange, California
“Location, location, location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Overall, the Barracuda delivers what it is known for: great location, great for divers. The 'Cuda is the only downtown hotel on the water with the Mexican Wal-Mart (Mega store) right across the street. If you are OK with no frills and acceptable basics at a decent price, you will like this hotel. No Wi-Fi except at the hotel bar below. No phones in room. No elevator. The hotel does have refrigerators in all rooms. Hotel does have a restaurant bar and many lounge chairs with sandy patio. FANTASTIC VIEW!!!

CLEANLINESS: Overall, the hotel is clean. The staff does a good job of keeping the lobby sand and water free as divers and beach-bunnies track sand and water into the hotel every 5 seconds. The common areas were free of debris and overall, I felt the cleanliness of the hotel was adequate. The room was also adequately clean. The only problem we had was with the bed linens on the first day - and I will go in to more detail on that issue below under "LINENS." Generally, our room maid did an excellent job cleaning the floors and our bathroom every day.

LINENS: The hotel only provides bath towels. There are no hand or fingertip towels. The bath towels were in good shape and thick but they were very scratchy. If you are picky about your towels - bring your own to the 'Cuda. The bed linens were ... not good. Our first night, we were laughing and crying as we found suspicious, short and curly hairs on the sheets of BOTH beds in the room accompanied by little gnats and at best, sand grains. The "comforter" is the poorest quality one can imagine - a very cheap, thin polyester with the spun, webbed underside that looks like thick spider webs as it wears. The pillow cases were stained with what I assumed was rust... Subsequent nights, there were no icky hairs or gnats but that first night was rough.

SERVICE: Sufficient. The front desk staff is sufficient and spoke enough English just to get by. Our room was cleaned daily and the staff kept things in order. Since there are no elevators, bell boys will haul your bags up the stairs. Most everyone was nice and friendly. Adequate but bare minimum service.

AMENITIES: No bathroom amenities other than the tiny bar soap. There are refrigerators in every room - that is a huge plus because the Mega is right across the street. As such, you can stock your fridge with goodies and avoid eating out for every meal. No phone in the room, but there is a TV. A/C was fine. Our room had an overhead fan as well.

ROOM: Decent space in our room. Everything at the 'Cuda is simple - small table, small nightstand. Plastic chairs on the balcony. Beds were sufficiently comfortable but I'm not picky. One small closet with hangers. Bathroom has stand-up shower and little counter space. Very basic but did the job.

Wi-Fi: No Wifi in rooms or lobby. The bar below does have free wifi and if you get a room above the bar, you can get signal on the balcony! (That's what we did.)

PRICE: Cheap for it's fantastic location. You can luxuriate on their sand patio, hop into the ocean from their dock and grab a bite from the hotel restaurant bar. You save huge on cabs as you can walk anywhere. Downtown is just a block away.

*FOR DIVERS: Dive Paradise has a shop on site and they pick up at the hotel dock every morning. The hotel dock is right in the backyard of the hotel - it's fantastic. There is a fresh-water rinse tank on the way to the dive lockers. The lockers are crummy - large crates that you secure with a rusty chain and a lock & key. You place a $20 deposit on the locket and when you return the key, you get your deposit back. The ease of the diving makes staying at this hotel totally worth the lack of luxury.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Santa Cruz/Watsonville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I was preparing to depart from the Barricuda after a week stay and diving. The day before I left I asked the male attendant behind the counter when the woman who has been cleaning my room was available as I wanted to leave a tip for her efforts. He insisted I give the money to him and he will pass it on. BEWARE! I refused and located her around the property and gave it to her the following day. I seriously doubt the $ would have ever found her! She thanked me whole heartedly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Peachtree City, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

The place is not real fancy, but it is right on the water and within walking distance to town. The Mega market is across the street and you can get ANYTHING there. Great views and good partner with the No name bar on the same property. Beds were typical of Mexico and Caribbean, hard and not the best, but tolerable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Davison, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I didn't stay at the hotel it's self but we did enjoy there bar and restaurant, It's quite lad back and it a nice close to town place to snorkel. The crowd seems younger but that's ok we aren't exactly old. My wife and I would stay there and give it a try.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Burlingame, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We wanted to be close to the downtown and are not into the resort style places. This hotel had everything we needed, ac, view of ocean, dive services, pool and bar and the snorkeling stairs were perfect for our 3 and 5 yr old. Wireless was available down at the pool. The super market was right across the street, car rental next door, what more did we need? The staff were always polite, accommodating and helpful. We even lost our camera in the rental car the night before we left. The hotel staff, went next door, found the camera and even shipped it to me in California!! Wow, I was so impressed! Please, do not even hesitate, perfect place!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We booked through hotels.com and when we arrived we were told that they had declined our booking from hotels.com and that they had told hotels.com that and that they didn't have any rooms for us. When we questioned that and starting trying to get a hold of hotels.com customer service suddenly a room appeared. The room itself was good enough. It was clean, and the beds comfortable. The view from the rather large balcony was good.

However, the "private beach" consists of rock which you need to climb a ladder to swin in, there is no kitchenette in the rooms as promised, and the large refrigerator/freezer was as small as they get.

This hotel probably deserves a 3-grade if it were described accurately from the beginning but considering that and the trouble checking in I give it a 2,

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ft worth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

They gave me an envelope made me state how much cash make you count it in front of them, how many credit cards, and anything else I was putting in there. They charge $1.00 a day to get into the safe that you are never shown and give you a reciept. The last day I went to get my money to pay the dive shop and $1598 in cash was missing. I called the police, they said since I had a reciept they had to pay. It was Sunday, I leave Monday morning. Manager claims no cash. Goes to dive shop says he will pay them. He wants to wire transfer the cash to my account in US. I didnt trust them to do that and I wanted the remaining money $698 in cash. He said he would get it. He didnt. I had to yell and scream and he finally went to his car and handed me the cash.

Room Tip: They all face the ocean which is nice. TV but no remote. This is a very low end hotel but I knew tha...