“manager hustled tip” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Santa Cruz/Watsonville
“manager hustled tip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I was preparing to depart from the Barricuda after a week stay and diving. The day before I left I asked the male attendant behind the counter when the woman who has been cleaning my room was available as I wanted to leave a tip for her efforts. He insisted I give the money to him and he will pass it on. BEWARE! I refused and located her around the property and gave it to her the following day. I seriously doubt the $ would have ever found her! She thanked me whole heartedly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Peachtree City, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

The place is not real fancy, but it is right on the water and within walking distance to town. The Mega market is across the street and you can get ANYTHING there. Great views and good partner with the No name bar on the same property. Beds were typical of Mexico and Caribbean, hard and not the best, but tolerable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Davison, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I didn't stay at the hotel it's self but we did enjoy there bar and restaurant, It's quite lad back and it a nice close to town place to snorkel. The crowd seems younger but that's ok we aren't exactly old. My wife and I would stay there and give it a try.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Burlingame, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We wanted to be close to the downtown and are not into the resort style places. This hotel had everything we needed, ac, view of ocean, dive services, pool and bar and the snorkeling stairs were perfect for our 3 and 5 yr old. Wireless was available down at the pool. The super market was right across the street, car rental next door, what more did we need? The staff were always polite, accommodating and helpful. We even lost our camera in the rental car the night before we left. The hotel staff, went next door, found the camera and even shipped it to me in California!! Wow, I was so impressed! Please, do not even hesitate, perfect place!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We booked through hotels.com and when we arrived we were told that they had declined our booking from hotels.com and that they had told hotels.com that and that they didn't have any rooms for us. When we questioned that and starting trying to get a hold of hotels.com customer service suddenly a room appeared. The room itself was good enough. It was clean, and the beds comfortable. The view from the rather large balcony was good.

However, the "private beach" consists of rock which you need to climb a ladder to swin in, there is no kitchenette in the rooms as promised, and the large refrigerator/freezer was as small as they get.

This hotel probably deserves a 3-grade if it were described accurately from the beginning but considering that and the trouble checking in I give it a 2,

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ft worth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

They gave me an envelope made me state how much cash make you count it in front of them, how many credit cards, and anything else I was putting in there. They charge $1.00 a day to get into the safe that you are never shown and give you a reciept. The last day I went to get my money to pay the dive shop and $1598 in cash was missing. I called the police, they said since I had a reciept they had to pay. It was Sunday, I leave Monday morning. Manager claims no cash. Goes to dive shop says he will pay them. He wants to wire transfer the cash to my account in US. I didnt trust them to do that and I wanted the remaining money $698 in cash. He said he would get it. He didnt. I had to yell and scream and he finally went to his car and handed me the cash.

Room Tip: They all face the ocean which is nice. TV but no remote. This is a very low end hotel but I knew tha...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
boston, ma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have been to Cozumel several times and stayed many different places, so I do have other Coz hotels as a comparison the the Barracuda.

The Good:
*The location is amazing. Across from Mega and a 5-10 minute walk to the square.
*The view--directly on the water, all rooms have ocean views and balconies.
*The price--it's low season and I got an amazing rate under $50/night
*Free internet--reliable and worked on my balcony and sometimes in the room
*Nice little shore dive out in front of the hotel with a plane wreck and rubble to poke around in.
*AC and fan worked well and kept the room cool at night.
*Refrigerator in the room to store drinks, snacks and breakfast supplies

The Bad:
*Linens and sheets are worn out. I had towels with holes in them more than once. They do not provide washcloths or hand towels, just bath towels.
*The shower was not super clean, and the door leaked, causing the bathroom floor to flood every time I took a shower.
*Maintenance requests were not completed. The slide bolt on my door didn't work and despite telling them twice, it never got fixed.
*The No Name Bar crowd can get really rowdy in the afternoons. But this was not a surprise to me.
*No drinking water available. Every other hotel I have stayed at either has coolers in the hallways or provides at least one bottle of water/day.

Overall:
If the view and being near town is more important to you than luxury and amenities, the Barracuda is a great choice. The location and views can't be beat. If the hotel being a bit worn down or people partying on the beach is going to ruin your vacation, look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Barracuda? Share your experiences!