“Incredible Location, Value and Service!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Barracuda
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   628 Avenida Rafael Melgar, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #37 of 58 hotels in Cozumel
Burlingame, California
“Incredible Location, Value and Service!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We wanted to be close to the downtown and are not into the resort style places. This hotel had everything we needed, ac, view of ocean, dive services, pool and bar and the snorkeling stairs were perfect for our 3 and 5 yr old. Wireless was available down at the pool. The super market was right across the street, car rental next door, what more did we need? The staff were always polite, accommodating and helpful. We even lost our camera in the rental car the night before we left. The hotel staff, went next door, found the camera and even shipped it to me in California!! Wow, I was so impressed! Please, do not even hesitate, perfect place!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

95 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We booked through hotels.com and when we arrived we were told that they had declined our booking from hotels.com and that they had told hotels.com that and that they didn't have any rooms for us. When we questioned that and starting trying to get a hold of hotels.com customer service suddenly a room appeared. The room itself was good enough. It was clean, and the beds comfortable. The view from the rather large balcony was good.

However, the "private beach" consists of rock which you need to climb a ladder to swin in, there is no kitchenette in the rooms as promised, and the large refrigerator/freezer was as small as they get.

This hotel probably deserves a 3-grade if it were described accurately from the beginning but considering that and the trouble checking in I give it a 2,

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ft worth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

They gave me an envelope made me state how much cash make you count it in front of them, how many credit cards, and anything else I was putting in there. They charge $1.00 a day to get into the safe that you are never shown and give you a reciept. The last day I went to get my money to pay the dive shop and $1598 in cash was missing. I called the police, they said since I had a reciept they had to pay. It was Sunday, I leave Monday morning. Manager claims no cash. Goes to dive shop says he will pay them. He wants to wire transfer the cash to my account in US. I didnt trust them to do that and I wanted the remaining money $698 in cash. He said he would get it. He didnt. I had to yell and scream and he finally went to his car and handed me the cash.

Room Tip: They all face the ocean which is nice. TV but no remote. This is a very low end hotel but I knew tha...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
boston, ma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have been to Cozumel several times and stayed many different places, so I do have other Coz hotels as a comparison the the Barracuda.

The Good:
*The location is amazing. Across from Mega and a 5-10 minute walk to the square.
*The view--directly on the water, all rooms have ocean views and balconies.
*The price--it's low season and I got an amazing rate under $50/night
*Free internet--reliable and worked on my balcony and sometimes in the room
*Nice little shore dive out in front of the hotel with a plane wreck and rubble to poke around in.
*AC and fan worked well and kept the room cool at night.
*Refrigerator in the room to store drinks, snacks and breakfast supplies

The Bad:
*Linens and sheets are worn out. I had towels with holes in them more than once. They do not provide washcloths or hand towels, just bath towels.
*The shower was not super clean, and the door leaked, causing the bathroom floor to flood every time I took a shower.
*Maintenance requests were not completed. The slide bolt on my door didn't work and despite telling them twice, it never got fixed.
*The No Name Bar crowd can get really rowdy in the afternoons. But this was not a surprise to me.
*No drinking water available. Every other hotel I have stayed at either has coolers in the hallways or provides at least one bottle of water/day.

Overall:
If the view and being near town is more important to you than luxury and amenities, the Barracuda is a great choice. The location and views can't be beat. If the hotel being a bit worn down or people partying on the beach is going to ruin your vacation, look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Hotel Barracuda is a gem in Cozumel. It is geared towards divers, but has something for everyone. They have a pool with lounge chairs and umbrellas. The hotel is by the water, so it is easy for boats to pick up divers to go on their dive trips. It has a cove where you can swim and see many exotic fish. There are two sunken airplanes some yards away where you can swim out to and explore. The rooms are not bad. They have A/C, hot water, TV, fridge, and a ceiling fan. The beds are on the hard side(at least to me they are). The No Name Bar is attached to the hotel. They have a swim up bar, and when the cruise ships are in, the crew go to the bar to enjoy a few hours off. There is a huge Walmart kind of store called Mega right across the street, where you will find anything and everything you might have forgotten at home. Overall, this hotel is fun, close to town, and paradise!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Every time we go to Cancun we always take a day trip to Cozumel. This summer was no exception except we decided to spend the night on the island. So glad we decided to do this!! Found this hotel in Cozumel by looking on the web at our Cancun hotel and saw the price was like $70, but when we got over there we had to pay rack rate of almost $100 ... not knowing where this hotel was actually located we didnt book on line and wanted to ck it out b4 staying there... it was the perfect location!! We got off the ferry and decided to take the horse and buggy ride to the hotel. Directly on the ocean.
Room was clean, very basic (dont bother asking for more towels. U get 2 and thats it), had small balcony with 2 chairs that overlooked the pool and ocean, small bathroom- esp shower, and cold A/C. Pool is small but had swim up bar- a nice touch!! No beach but direct ocean access by steps leading down to a very rocky area. Dive boat pick up at hotel which is perfect for divers!
We walked in to town the next morning for breakfast right on the square... love eating outside!
Picked up our scooters for the day for the bargain price of $20 ea. They start at about $40 but they are really wanting to make the sale so they work w/u on the price! Drove the scooter back to the hotel, checked out and they held our luggage (1 pc) for the day.. a really nice touch. We always take our scooters around the island and do our own "Corona" tour stopping at all the local bars, snorkeling, and playing in the ocean along the way... love chatting with all the locals!! Got back to the hotel around 7pm just in time for a quick dip in the pool, and a few drinks b4 heading back into town for dinner on the square and our ferry back to Playa... yes they even let us use the pool to freshen up a bit .. really nice of them to do that!!
BONUS... MegaMart is directly across the street... u must go in and see all their neat products they offer and take a ride on the "grocery cart" escalatur... it was soooo cool!,
This hotel was perfect for what we were looking for - would not hesitate to stay again!!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Tampa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Stayed for 6 nights in April. Liked the ocean views from my room, comfortable and clean. Friendly Staff. Diving available on site. Nice pool area and accessible to the ocean for swimming or snorkeling. MegaMart right across the street. Close to everything. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Barracuda? Share your experiences!