“Good place if you don't want luxury!” 3 of 5 stars

Barracuda
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   628 Avenida Rafael Melgar, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #40 of 57 hotels in Cozumel
boston, ma
“Good place if you don't want luxury!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have been to Cozumel several times and stayed many different places, so I do have other Coz hotels as a comparison the the Barracuda.

The Good:
*The location is amazing. Across from Mega and a 5-10 minute walk to the square.
*The view--directly on the water, all rooms have ocean views and balconies.
*The price--it's low season and I got an amazing rate under $50/night
*Free internet--reliable and worked on my balcony and sometimes in the room
*Nice little shore dive out in front of the hotel with a plane wreck and rubble to poke around in.
*AC and fan worked well and kept the room cool at night.
*Refrigerator in the room to store drinks, snacks and breakfast supplies

The Bad:
*Linens and sheets are worn out. I had towels with holes in them more than once. They do not provide washcloths or hand towels, just bath towels.
*The shower was not super clean, and the door leaked, causing the bathroom floor to flood every time I took a shower.
*Maintenance requests were not completed. The slide bolt on my door didn't work and despite telling them twice, it never got fixed.
*The No Name Bar crowd can get really rowdy in the afternoons. But this was not a surprise to me.
*No drinking water available. Every other hotel I have stayed at either has coolers in the hallways or provides at least one bottle of water/day.

Overall:
If the view and being near town is more important to you than luxury and amenities, the Barracuda is a great choice. The location and views can't be beat. If the hotel being a bit worn down or people partying on the beach is going to ruin your vacation, look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

86 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Hotel Barracuda is a gem in Cozumel. It is geared towards divers, but has something for everyone. They have a pool with lounge chairs and umbrellas. The hotel is by the water, so it is easy for boats to pick up divers to go on their dive trips. It has a cove where you can swim and see many exotic fish. There are two sunken airplanes some yards away where you can swim out to and explore. The rooms are not bad. They have A/C, hot water, TV, fridge, and a ceiling fan. The beds are on the hard side(at least to me they are). The No Name Bar is attached to the hotel. They have a swim up bar, and when the cruise ships are in, the crew go to the bar to enjoy a few hours off. There is a huge Walmart kind of store called Mega right across the street, where you will find anything and everything you might have forgotten at home. Overall, this hotel is fun, close to town, and paradise!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Every time we go to Cancun we always take a day trip to Cozumel. This summer was no exception except we decided to spend the night on the island. So glad we decided to do this!! Found this hotel in Cozumel by looking on the web at our Cancun hotel and saw the price was like $70, but when we got over there we had to pay rack rate of almost $100 ... not knowing where this hotel was actually located we didnt book on line and wanted to ck it out b4 staying there... it was the perfect location!! We got off the ferry and decided to take the horse and buggy ride to the hotel. Directly on the ocean.
Room was clean, very basic (dont bother asking for more towels. U get 2 and thats it), had small balcony with 2 chairs that overlooked the pool and ocean, small bathroom- esp shower, and cold A/C. Pool is small but had swim up bar- a nice touch!! No beach but direct ocean access by steps leading down to a very rocky area. Dive boat pick up at hotel which is perfect for divers!
We walked in to town the next morning for breakfast right on the square... love eating outside!
Picked up our scooters for the day for the bargain price of $20 ea. They start at about $40 but they are really wanting to make the sale so they work w/u on the price! Drove the scooter back to the hotel, checked out and they held our luggage (1 pc) for the day.. a really nice touch. We always take our scooters around the island and do our own "Corona" tour stopping at all the local bars, snorkeling, and playing in the ocean along the way... love chatting with all the locals!! Got back to the hotel around 7pm just in time for a quick dip in the pool, and a few drinks b4 heading back into town for dinner on the square and our ferry back to Playa... yes they even let us use the pool to freshen up a bit .. really nice of them to do that!!
BONUS... MegaMart is directly across the street... u must go in and see all their neat products they offer and take a ride on the "grocery cart" escalatur... it was soooo cool!,
This hotel was perfect for what we were looking for - would not hesitate to stay again!!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Tampa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Stayed for 6 nights in April. Liked the ocean views from my room, comfortable and clean. Friendly Staff. Diving available on site. Nice pool area and accessible to the ocean for swimming or snorkeling. MegaMart right across the street. Close to everything. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Located directly on the water and downtown. Perfect scuba diving trip. You get picked-up directly from the hotel dock every morning. Rooms are very basic but clean. We dive up to 4 dives a day so did not see the room much. Walking distance to many restaurants, ferry, shopping, etc..

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Mexico City, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

When I arrive the front desk tall me there have no reservation under my name and they couldn’t give me any room because there were no vacancy.
I did make the reservation on line 4 weeks prior and pay for it, but as I can see they have terrible organization, no booking or software control other than a simple paper list of who is arriving that day. The personal has terrible service and they didn´t even try to find my another option.
Also the Hotel look old and not to clean.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Columbus, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I stayed at the Barracuda over Thanksgiving week 2011. Note that this is not a "resort" or luxury hotel by any means. The rooms are modest, and there aren't any resort-type services or activities. It is a great hotel if you are on the island to dive and primarily use a hotel for sleeping. If you plan to hang out at the hotel a lot, you may be happier with a resort.

The pros - great location (walking distance to town, on the water, all rooms have an ocean view, most dive operations will pick you up at their pier, across the street from Mega), clean with daily maid service, safe, inexpensive (prices often drop to fill vacancies if you wait to book your trip - I paid $48/night by waiting until 4 days before my trip), mini-fridge in room.

The cons - no in-room safe (keeping stuff at the house safe is a pain). Pool area is loud and crowded during the day - generally not a problem for me as I would get back from diving at 2 or 3 and the pool area quiets downs around 5. Water pressure in my room (401) was pretty weak, but manageable.

Other things to consider: No elevator and I had a 4th floor room - I like taking stairs, but if it is a problem, request a room on a lower level. Beds were very firm - again, I like firm beds, but consider if you have a strong preference otherwise. Staff seemed friendly, but I had very little interaction with them, so I can't really comment much about that.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Barracuda? Share your experiences!