“Perfect Location!!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Perfect Location!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Every time we go to Cancun we always take a day trip to Cozumel. This summer was no exception except we decided to spend the night on the island. So glad we decided to do this!! Found this hotel in Cozumel by looking on the web at our Cancun hotel and saw the price was like $70, but when we got over there we had to pay rack rate of almost $100 ... not knowing where this hotel was actually located we didnt book on line and wanted to ck it out b4 staying there... it was the perfect location!! We got off the ferry and decided to take the horse and buggy ride to the hotel. Directly on the ocean.
Room was clean, very basic (dont bother asking for more towels. U get 2 and thats it), had small balcony with 2 chairs that overlooked the pool and ocean, small bathroom- esp shower, and cold A/C. Pool is small but had swim up bar- a nice touch!! No beach but direct ocean access by steps leading down to a very rocky area. Dive boat pick up at hotel which is perfect for divers!
We walked in to town the next morning for breakfast right on the square... love eating outside!
Picked up our scooters for the day for the bargain price of $20 ea. They start at about $40 but they are really wanting to make the sale so they work w/u on the price! Drove the scooter back to the hotel, checked out and they held our luggage (1 pc) for the day.. a really nice touch. We always take our scooters around the island and do our own "Corona" tour stopping at all the local bars, snorkeling, and playing in the ocean along the way... love chatting with all the locals!! Got back to the hotel around 7pm just in time for a quick dip in the pool, and a few drinks b4 heading back into town for dinner on the square and our ferry back to Playa... yes they even let us use the pool to freshen up a bit .. really nice of them to do that!!
BONUS... MegaMart is directly across the street... u must go in and see all their neat products they offer and take a ride on the "grocery cart" escalatur... it was soooo cool!,
This hotel was perfect for what we were looking for - would not hesitate to stay again!!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Tampa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Stayed for 6 nights in April. Liked the ocean views from my room, comfortable and clean. Friendly Staff. Diving available on site. Nice pool area and accessible to the ocean for swimming or snorkeling. MegaMart right across the street. Close to everything. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Located directly on the water and downtown. Perfect scuba diving trip. You get picked-up directly from the hotel dock every morning. Rooms are very basic but clean. We dive up to 4 dives a day so did not see the room much. Walking distance to many restaurants, ferry, shopping, etc..

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Mexico City, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

When I arrive the front desk tall me there have no reservation under my name and they couldn’t give me any room because there were no vacancy.
I did make the reservation on line 4 weeks prior and pay for it, but as I can see they have terrible organization, no booking or software control other than a simple paper list of who is arriving that day. The personal has terrible service and they didn´t even try to find my another option.
Also the Hotel look old and not to clean.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Columbus, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I stayed at the Barracuda over Thanksgiving week 2011. Note that this is not a "resort" or luxury hotel by any means. The rooms are modest, and there aren't any resort-type services or activities. It is a great hotel if you are on the island to dive and primarily use a hotel for sleeping. If you plan to hang out at the hotel a lot, you may be happier with a resort.

The pros - great location (walking distance to town, on the water, all rooms have an ocean view, most dive operations will pick you up at their pier, across the street from Mega), clean with daily maid service, safe, inexpensive (prices often drop to fill vacancies if you wait to book your trip - I paid $48/night by waiting until 4 days before my trip), mini-fridge in room.

The cons - no in-room safe (keeping stuff at the house safe is a pain). Pool area is loud and crowded during the day - generally not a problem for me as I would get back from diving at 2 or 3 and the pool area quiets downs around 5. Water pressure in my room (401) was pretty weak, but manageable.

Other things to consider: No elevator and I had a 4th floor room - I like taking stairs, but if it is a problem, request a room on a lower level. Beds were very firm - again, I like firm beds, but consider if you have a strong preference otherwise. Staff seemed friendly, but I had very little interaction with them, so I can't really comment much about that.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Vista, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

My husband is a diver and I'm a snorkler, so we thought we'd try the Hotel Barracuda on this trip to Cozumel. My husband had stayed there many years ago on a dive trip, and didn't have very nice things to say about it, but that had been over 20 years ago. I was sure it had been updated since then. Turns out....not so much updating. Just a basic room with 2 double beds. HARD beds. TV, but no remote, no hair dryer, no shampoo; but we did have a small fridge. There is plenty of hot water and clean towels, and all rooms have a spectacular Caribbean/Pool/Bar view. From your balcony you can watch cruise ships come and go, parasailing, Mexican Navy maneuvers and many ocean swimmers and snorkelers. The dive boats will pick you up right behind the hotel, and you can snorkel right off the dock there. The pool is well maintained, food is decent at the pool bar, and the wait staff are friendly and helpful.The hotel houses the No Name Bar which is the gathering place for off-duty cruise ship crew. They are serious about blowing off steam, and the party goes on every day. Good news....they don't generally party late at night. The hotel is in a great location for restaurants, shopping, directly across the street from Mega, the local supermarket. Not a luxury hotel, but if you just want to dive and/or party, the Barracuda is fine.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel for going on 11 years. It is great for scuba divers. Dive Paradise picks up up at their pier. Comfortable rooms. No frills. Recently remodeled. Nothing for kids, homeymooners, ect... But perfect for what it is. Also walking distance from town

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Barracuda? Share your experiences!