“Just what I wanted” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Suites Bahia

You added Suites Bahia to your Saves list
Suites Bahia
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Rafael E. Melgar x Calle 3 Sur, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #26 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Just what I wanted”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I wanted a clean, modern, well-run and moderately priced place in town. Bahia did it. This is not a resort or colorful, just a convenient place to stay. The free breakfast was outstanding. The nearby pool is useful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We're glad we stayed in this hotel. It is an old building but with great staff who are very friendly and accommodating. The location is great. It is within walking distance to the downtown area, the town square, line of restaurants, the ferry, and the beach boardwalk. We discovered that if we have booked at other hotels (zones 2-4), you have to pay at least US $10.00 each way. So, if you are on a budget and on a short visit, I recommend this hotel. By day time, after having our tours, we hit the markets and look for ethnic cuisine. At night time, we enjoy dinner at a place with a view. If you are on a budget, this is the way to go.....

Room Tip: Our room has a refrigerator, a microwave, and a kitchen with utensils but there is no stove or a cof...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed Bahia Suites. The hotel and the rooms are kept up nicely. The room attendant came by every day to at least make our bed, take out our trash and mop our floors. We had a room with a balcony which is wonderful for drying swim suits and enjoying a cold beer in the evening. The hotel itself is in a great location, on the waterfront downtown…8 minutes from the airport by taxi. Across the street from the hotel is a great bar with giant margaritas and a Pizza Hut. The breakfast the hotel offers is about a block away at another hotel. The breakfast is wonderful. Its above better than the usual continental breakfast most hotels offer. The breakfast includes anything from pancakes, omelet station to fresh fruit. Two things worth mentioning though, one the beds at the hotel are not the most comfortable. However, if you are tired (which you should be from the sun and swimming) the bed shouldn’t be a problem. Two, please remember the hotel is on a busy street across from a bar. We found it very helpful to either turn on the air conditioner or the TV (channels in both English and Spanish) which easily drowns the sounds out. All in all, we felt the hotel was worth much more than what we paid for. We would most certainly stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

otally satisfied with this hotel and give it a 5 not a 2 star rating. Its location is 2 blocks to the main plaza and 3 blocks to the ferry from Playa Del Carmen-- the only way to get there if you do not fly in, It has terrific access to downtown piers where I went scuba diving. It was a short 30 second walk to the pier. 1.5 blocks away was an terrific full cooked breakfast with eggs, pancakes and fresh fruit along with cereal toast, etc. This is at a sister hotel which is a bit higher in price but also very nice. I did not go for th beach. I went to dive so it was perfect for me. I could go to all local restaurants and was not trapped at an all inclusive. But there are lots of them not too far away but for my money, this place is terrific and the staff speaks great English and is very helpful. The room was very big with a good bathroom with sink outside the shower/toilet for more than one person to use at the same time. I had a kitchenette which I did not really use but it was there with a full refrigerator and microwave. This is one nice place and perfect for divers or anybody who wants to stay in town for shopping, etc. Please raise the rating-- 2 star does not do it justice

Room Tip: I did not pay for view of the ocean but it is beautiful and the town is quiet at night.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Gary, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My wife and I just spent 10 nights at the Suites Bahia. We enjoyed our stay very much. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms are spacious and very clean. I actually saw the maid on her hands and knees washing the baseboards with a wet rag. Large refrigerator along with microwave and sink. Utensils were adequate. We didn't need anything more than a knife and spoon anyway. Only thing I would have like to have was a full size table. Need places to work on the computer or just eat other than sitting on the bed. We had an ocean view private balconey and it was great for drying dive gear and swim wear. Price was very reasonable. I would definitely stay here again.
Right next door to the Thirsty Cougar. Nice place to get drinks and nachos in the afternoon.
Oh along with your stay you get a free buffet breakfast every morning at their sister hotel Casa Mexicana. About a 1-1/2 block walk down Melgar. Very nice morning walk ending up with a good breakfast.
I recommend you give it a try.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floors if street noises bother you.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I spent two weeks in Cozumel here at this hotel. Is it the nicest hotel in Cozumel, hell no but for the price & the location it is hands down the best. I came to Cozumel to scuba dive and I dived everyday for my two weeks stay. The room rate is very affordable (thus spending two weeks here) FREE breakfast buffet included at their nearby much nicer Hotel Mexicana, then a one block walk to the the pier to get picked up every morning at 9am by my dive boat.... Life could not be any easier.... walking distance to all of the shops & restaurant areas, a taxi any time of the day a few feet from the hotel door... Again, this is not the fanciest place but for the budget minded, no frills place this place rates a 10 plus when you factor in everything above. Did I mention FREE wifi too (a little slow but hey its free)... Enjoy your stay, hope this helped and also two minute walk to catch the ferry back to the mainland.....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I was looking for a cheap room in town to stay for a night while diving for a few days, and chose Bahia on the recommendation of a dive shop. While the hotel is older and the rooms are basic, I found the experience to be much nicer than when I have stayed in similarly priced B&Bs and diver-oriented lodges elsewhere on the island during previous trips. Additionally, the location is excellent, and the free breakfast at the nearby sister hotel was an added bonus.

Like other reviewers, I was concerned about street noise, so I just asked for a quiet room, and they recommended the basic room type, which put us at the back of the hotel, away from the street. Great for me, as it was cheaper. We weren't interested in an ocean view, and just needed a place to sleep and shower. We had no problems with any street noise.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Suites Bahia? Share your experiences!