“Spotless, Convenient with Breakfast Buffet” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Suites Bahia

You added Suites Bahia to your Saves list
Suites Bahia
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Rafael E. Melgar x Calle 3 Sur, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #25 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
“Spotless, Convenient with Breakfast Buffet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Suites Bahia is indeed spotless and spacious. I only got internet in the lobby, but that gave me an excuse to hang out there and make friends with the concierge staff. They are very friendly. They gave me tips on where to eat and shop. On the last day, they helped me get a parking ticket resolved. (The concierge had told me that I could park outside the hotel but forgot to say that parking is for a limited time only. The manager came with me to the police station at my request and offered to pay for the ticket.) The Suites are located in the heart of downtown and come with a kitchenette in case you’re in the mood to cook. It’s the perfect place to stay if you’re on a budget and want convenience. And the buffet breakfasts at Casa Mexicana that are included are thoroughly satisfying – think smoked salmon, hot waffles, carrot juice fresh from juicer, and scrambled eggs upon request!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Nice place for the money. We stayed there for 3 days end of Feburary. It is not new, but it is very clean and comfortable for the price. It's a short walk to the square. the balcony's are great for people watching. A plus was it is right across from one our favorite places Thirsty Cougar.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

This was my first visit to Cozumel and I wanted to stay in the main town. I booked 24 hours before arriving for 5 nights. I would have stayed longer but I didn't realize Carnival was coming to town and the hotel was all booked out for the Carnival weekend.

Traveling solo I'm not very fussy about places to stay. I came to Cozumel to dive, dive and dive and didn't put much thinking into accommodation choices. My room was big (2 queen size beds) and clean. It could comfortably house family of four. Towels, soap, shampoo was replenished daily and room cleaning was efficient and quick, too. My room had an adjoining kitchenette with a big fridge and a microwave. There were even 4 sets of clean dishes and utensils. I like that as I coud just stock on groceries and easily fix myself a quick bite after coming back from diving in my room rather than running to nearby 'over-priced' bars and restaurants.

TV worked, WiFi was free and fast (!!!) The hotel actually made an effort and placed WiFi repeaters on all their floors so the reception was great throughout the whole hotel. The place has only a small reception area with an elevator and a snack machine. There is no restaurant on the premises but complimentary breakfast was in the not-to-far-away Hotel Casa Mexicana. BTW, really great breakfast, definitely worth the $4, or so, extra added to my day rate.

The location was great, near the center of the town, walking distance from the ferry, less than 5 minutes, manageable even with luggage. Lots of places to eat and drink nearby. Even a great coffee place right across the hotel entrance. The only problem was the noise, as everybody else mentioned before me. Usually from about 8-9pm to 11pm-midnight. Not too unbearable as I was on the 4th floor and luckily I had my noise canceling headphones so it was a non-issue for me;) But I would be careful the next time where my room is located. My room, and all the ones facing the side street (Calle 3 Sur) had balconies which was great for drying my diving suit every day.

All in all, a great place to stay, very efficient but a little outdated in terms of decor. Really a great place for a visiting diver(s) not counting on too many luxuries;) If I was visiting with my non-diving girlfriend, I'd probably look somewhere else.

Room Tip: As others have said before me, get a room on higher floors, away from the side street facing the noi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This was my third stay at the Bahia and once again I enjoyed my stay. It is not an extravagant property but a great value for central in town. Plusses would be a great central in town location at a lower end price, a king plus a standard bed, a refrigerator and a microwave and complimentary breakfast at Casa Mexicana which has a great buffet and omelet / eggs to order grill and a very nice and gracious staff who are always trying to please. The downside is noise, the standard balcony rooms face the side street of 3rd which has the ‘Thirsty Cougar’ bar, nice bar and I am glad it’s getting popular until 12-1 AM, but I get up at 5:30 to prepare for a 7:30 dive departure. Next time I will probably get a back facing ‘standard’ room or try their sister property ‘The Colonial’. The other thing in the ‘minus’ column is the internet connectivity, it is spotty and frequently locks up, this has been true each time I have stayed and also when I have stayed at the Casa Mexicana, not a real problem because there is now free internet in virtually every establishment on the island, including the Thirsty Cougar which can be picked up and 'hacked' from most rooms. All and all an excellent value location, I think of it as ‘premium dry wall camping’.

Room Tip: Ask for a 4th floor room if get a balcony, it will help reduce the noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This was our 4th visit to the island and was probably the best time of them all! We stayed for 10 days and everyday was a new adventure. The hotel is in the perfect location for those who want to get out and go. The location is on the strip and breakfast everyday is just down the block and a great way to start each day! We traveled into town to find the FOOD we had researched on Trip Adv and we LOVED every place we hit. El Billy's is a must the grilled meat platter he serves is the BOMB! The sweet grilled onions are a hit also. We ate at a few of the spots around the plaza and they were so-so, in town is where you will find the real authentic flavor. We went to the far side of the island and swam in the ocean with people from Milwaukee, it was epic. El Doro or El something on the way back into town from the far side as I call it on the other side of the island, is a great little spot that we hit a couple times and the shrimp tacos were ridiculously delicious and cheap! The room was nice and spacious and the view from the balcony allowed us to see the parades during carnival which was literally steps away from the hotel. We were right in the thick of it"Carnival" and it was the best, (if you dont mind noise until early in the morning). Our room also faced the Thirsty Cougar which stays open late and Chi, the Chinese place upstairs both of which were excellent both food and service. We could just sit and watch the activity from our balcony, it was pretty cool watching the cruisers come and go tipsy everday. Overall great place, clean, great breakfast buffet, great location, great time.

Room Tip: We had 36 which faced the bar across the street, and a partial view of ocean from balcony but room 3...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New Braunfels, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This was my first time staying in downtown Cozumel; usually stay further down the island. The Suites Bahia is a great hotel and very conveniently located almost directly off the main avenue. Rooms were very nice, king bed and queen bed separated by a short wall. Room was very clean and housekeeping kept it that way for our week long stay. Always had hot water and shower pressure was great. The room wall unit AC was a little noisy, but typical for that type of unit. Temperature control was easy and never had a problem cooling the room. The hotel does not have a restaurant, but provides breakfast (part of our package) at their sister hotel less than two blocks away (very short walk - and well worth it).

We stayed on the second floor and had a non-balcony room. We booked last minute for a dive trip, so that was all that was available. The front desk offered to move us when a balcony room became available, be we opted to stay in our room because it was very quiet. Was not sure about the street noise for the balcony rooms facing the street.

The hotel has excellent Wi-Fi, very fast. The room had a small kitchenette area with sink, microwave, and full size refrigerator. The hotel staff was always friendly and helpful. For the money, this is a great hotel (for Cozumel) in a great downtown location and is definitely recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Lindon, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

The hotel was perfectly situated across from the waterfront, near the town square, restaurants, our dive shop. The staff was so accommodating and helpful. Our room was immaculately cleaned each day, as was the hotel. I watched them clean. The WiFi was excellent. The breakfast buffet at their sister hotel was top notch. I will go back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple