“In need of some TLC” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Suites Bahia

Save Saved
You added Suites Bahia to your Saves list
Suites Bahia
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Rafael E. Melgar x Calle 3 Sur, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #23 of 58 hotels in Cozumel
UK
“In need of some TLC”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2008

I booked the hotel as part of an ebookers package.

Good points:
1) Clean - credit to the staff!
2) Welcoming - front desk was English speaking and helpful.
3) Location - excellent for downtown shopping or dive shops.

Bad points:
1) Tired and worn fixtures and fittings.
2) Kitchen - limited cooking utensils (2 rings on cooker).

I stayed in room 35 which had a great view of a wall! This made it difficult to see what the weather was like as you couldn't see any sky. Also the windows were covered in spots of paint from the outside.
The A/C worked well but there was a gap around it so I'm sure a few mosquitos came in due to this.
The breakfast was good including fruit and pastries but I often had to leave for my dives at 07:30am so it was often missed.
Make sure you take enough dollar bills for tips as you seem to tip everyone here - being from the UK I'm not used to this.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — interior
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

101 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Kent Island, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2007

Here is my take on Suites Bahia. The front desk is quiet, efficient and friendly. The hotel is very clean and well run. They delivered phone messages promptly. Do not stay in rooms 21, 31, and 41 as the HVAC system for the stores is just outside the windows. Free internet in the lobby, as well as newspapers, books and magazines. No pool. I got the room for 35 a night as part of a package 6 months ago, or I would have insisted on moving my room, 41. The bed was hard even for Mexico. However, I would stay here again solo or with a dive buddy. The hotel also provides coffee, juice, fresh fruit, toast, yoghurt and pastries each morning at 7:30.Walking distance to all of central Cozumel. Just across the street from a gelato restaurant, Chi chinese restaurant, pizza hut and the Aldora pier where several dive operators pick up.

Stayed November 2007
Wichita, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

Expect basics and you'll be ok. It is a clean, friendly hotel located right near the downtown square. Right accross the street from the downtown cruise ship pier. Several other Scuba Diving couples were staying there and did business with many of the downtown dive shops on Cozumel. We had a balcony and a stove top and fridge in our room. We were able to get food and supplies from a local store and cook several meals in our room. We also walked to restaurants in the downtown square as well as some just 3 blocks away that were local family restaurants where meals were $4.00.

Friendly staff. Clean (saw them cleaning rooms daily that were vacant), and basic accomodations. We will definately stay there again.

Stayed July 2007
Casselberry, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2007

If you want a luxury hotel, this is not it. On the other hand, if you want a Mexican hotel, rather than the resorts, which keep you virtually a prisoner, you will find this quite satisfactory. The rooms have a small kitchen, a king sized bed and a double bed, and cable TV. The people at the desk speak excellent English, and there is a computer in the lobby which you can use for free. Breakfast, also in the lobby, consists of coffee, sweet rolls, and fruit. The floor tiles are worn, but clean. Everything of interest is in easy walking distance. The hotel is about half way between the cruise ship terminal and the dock for the boats going out for diving and to the mainland-- where you can see a huge Mexican flag. If you have a room on the front of the hotel, you can observe all this from your room. All the main shops and restaurants are along the street beside the sea or on some side streets. Most sell the usual souvenirs, luxury brand goods, but most of all diamonds and silver. Restaurants and fast food places abound. I suspect the best prices on all goods would be those away from the cruise terminal (I am not a shopper). The price is fantastic; however, you should check all the online reservation services as the prices vary considerably.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2007

I would agree with many of the reviews. Great location in the middle of the action but also quiet. Within short walk of diving shops and pier. I used Aqua Safari which has its shop and pier just steps away. Good restaurants and shops fulfilling all needs very close by. If you are looking for a pool/resort type vacation look elsewhere. But for me I will return. My room was very clean and neat each day after diving which is a must. Staff friendly and helpful.

Stayed March 2007
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2006

Jun 22 to 28th I stayed at the Bahia. The hotel was very comfortable and I enjoyed my my stay. The rooms were clean, quiet, and comfortable. But mostly I was impressed with the staff. I will never forget the incident. I had been in conversation with a friend while unlocking my door. After entering a few minutes past and a knock came to my door. I thought it was my friend forgetting something. To my surprise it was a hotel maid holding $50 out to me to take. Nothing was said a but I knew I had dropped it and she was returning the money to its rightful owner. I was very much impressed with this integrity and honesty. We so often, in the USA, think of Mexico as being a place to be concerned with safety. But I have found nothing but the opposite on each visit. I wish I could feel as safe at home as I do when I visit Cozumel.

• Stayed June 2006
North Liberty, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2006

We just got back from a week in Cozumel for a Scuba diving vacation, and stayed at Suites Bahia for the third time in 4 years. We keep coming back, because the prices can't be beat for that location! Great Chinese restaurant across the street (Chi), all shops and restaurants nearby, only blocks from the square. We never had to take a cab to get to anything else! The rooms are plain but very nice and clean. Excellent maid service every day. King size bed and ocean view for $78 plus tax, with large TV with satellite feed (english and spanish channels), full size fridge in room, comfortable sitting room, closet with lots of room for clothes. The staff was always friendly and very helpful and knowledgeable, with perfectly serviceable english. The computer in the lobby for internet use was a little old, but served its purpose. Breakfast included every morning was brought over from Casa Mexicana, included juice, coffee and tea, amazing pastries, fresh fruit, and toast. Overall, just a wonderful place to stay to be close to everything, and at a great price.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Suites Bahia? Share your experiences!