“Good budget hotel, excellent location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Suites Bahia

Save Saved
You added Suites Bahia to your Saves list
Suites Bahia
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Rafael E. Melgar x Calle 3 Sur, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #26 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Good budget hotel, excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

Suites Bahia is a very basic budget hotel with a great downtown location. Everything that you need is within walking distance. There are lots of great restaurants within walking distance. The main square is just a few blocks away. We chose the hotel because of the location and because we got an excellent flight + hotel deal on Orbitz.

We stayed in the most basic room that they have. It had two beds (one king and one double) separated by a little half wall. The beds are both typical hard Mexican beds. There is an old TV on the wall that has quite a few channels. The kitchenette had a microwave, fridge, sink, and some dishes and silverware in the cabinets and drawers. We didn’t cook or warm anything up while we were there, but the kitchen would be good for that if you do it. We did use the fridge for bottled water, which the hotel does not provide. There is a closet with a safe in it. The safe is very small, not nearly big enough for a laptop, and is only good for money or small electronics. There is a mirror and a sink outside of the bathroom. The bathroom has a toilet and a shower. There is no tub of any kind. We were there to scuba dive so we only went in the room to sleep and change. It was adequate for everything we needed it for. If we stayed there again I would get a room with a balcony because the dive gear didn’t dry very well inside the room and I think it would have dried much better outside.

The hotel does have free Wi-Fi for guests and it worked really well for us. I used Skype frequently throughout the week and the bandwidth was sufficient to stream video fairly well.

We didn’t rent a car, but if you do they do have parking available at no charge at the Punta Langosta Mall. It is a bit of a walk, but it is better than paying to park at one of the downtown lots every day.

Breakfast is included at the sister hotel Casa Mexicana. We ate breakfast there every day and it was very good. They have made to order omelets and eggs. They also have fresh juice and fruit. They don’t mix it up very much from day to day, but there is enough selection that we didn’t get bored of it.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone that is looking for a centrally located budget hotel. If you are looking for something fancy or are planning on spending a lot of time in the hotel, then I wouldn’t recommend it. If you are scuba diving I would recommend getting a room with a balcony to dry your gear.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Stayed here from Oct 8-13th 2011. The service was good, for example, they moved me to a different room when the wireless internet in my room was spotty. And, the front desk guy Manuel was helpful and spoke good english and helped me with my spanish.

The AC in the room was really loud. It was loud even in the room I was in earlier. The shower's drain does not drain properly and the bed is hard. so.. what do I like about it? here is the list:
0. Cheap - I paid $40
1. Location, you can walk everywhere...
2. Close to restaurants

I guess if you are here for diving, this is a good place to be. If you are here for leisure, I recommend not staying here since there is no "leisure-ing" in the hotel. You have to seek your leisure elsewhere.

Room Tip: Liked room 45. Quite - if not for the AC.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Milwaukee, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

We weren’t looking for a resort, we were looking for a nice, clean, decent hotel with a convenient location…we found that ALL and more with Suites Bahia and at an AWESOME price! (Note: We booked on Orbitz.com with their hotel+flight option.)

We landed in Cancun, took a collectivo from the airport to Playa Del Carmen ferry, then ferry to Cozumel. From the ferry dock, we walked about 5 minutes to the hotel (there is a sidewalk right along the coastline that makes it easy to wheel luggage).

HOTEL-
Suites Bahia was always very clean on the outside, in the lobby, in the elevator, halls, and room. We didn’t see any bugs! Our check-in and check-out was easy. Staff was all very helpful and friendly (some spoke more English than others). The lobby had pamphlets and brochures of local attractions, as well as a small couch and coffee table with local newspapers. There was a computer with free internet until 11pm, as well as wireless throughout the hotel (we didn’t use it, so not sure if there’s a charge, but I think it was free). There was a vending machine with local snacks and beverages. They lock the doors late night/early morning, so just be sure to check with the front desk if you’ll need someone to open the door for you.

ROOM-
We reserved a “private balcony with city view and kitchenette” room. We were lucky enough to have a room that could also see the Sea from the balcony! The room was very spacious with white textured walls, clay-colored floor tiles, colorful patio-door curtain, TV, A/C, and plenty of lighting. There were 2 beds (one was a double bed, the other was a king) separated by a small ledge. There was plenty of room to get in/out of beds and walk around. The “kitchenette” included a sink, full-size refrigerator with freezer, a microwave, cupboards/cabinets, some counter space and some cooking utensils.

There was a vanity-area (outside of the bathroom) which included a sink with counter space, simple toiletries, a large mirror, light and electrical outlet (no hair dryer), hand-towel with holder, and a large storage cabinet underneath (however, as a caution, we did have a small leak in our sink that was fixed the same morning, but if we had put anything under the sink, it would have been pretty wet). The bathroom included a shelf over the toilet (as usual) for the towels (which were big enough to use on the beach, in case you don’t want to waste luggage space packing yours, but I’m not sure if the hotel would “want” you to take the towels to the beach?), as well as a double-hook to hang things. There was a small garbage can in the bathroom, as well as a small window. The water pressure was fine in both the shower and the toilet. It did not take long at all to get warm/hot water in the shower or the sink (hot water on the right). Directly across from the bathroom, was a large closet with a shelf, and another large cupboard above the closet for plenty of storage. There were about 6 plastic hangers, so bring more if you need. There was a safe in closet, which required a $45.00 deposit for the key (note: keep your receipt, as they will ask for it when you return the key). There was another long shelf with bench in front of another mirror, in case two people were getting ready at the same time.

BREAKFAST-
As you may have read, there is a FREE breakfast buffet every morning at one of their sister hotels “Casa Mexicana.” It’s literally just a few minutes down the street (we walked on the opposite side of the road though to avoid shop owners).

We thought it was great! They would make you omelets, waffles, pancakes. Then, there were already made options like scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, bacon, sausage, and a few other things that I ate, but didn’t know what it was (something that looked like breakfast nachos, some kind of maybe shredded beef/pork?). They had plenty of fruits, yogurts, granola, walnuts, salmon/cream cheese, toasts/breads/pastries, and cereals. There was coffee, milk, orange and grapefruit juice.

You need to take an escalator to get up to the hotel. Right near the escalator are some “vacation packages” salespeople. We had gotten a head start one morning, and they asked “what are you doing today, need a car?” We said “no, we’re going to Chankanaab,” and he said “I can get your free entrance.” So then we started listening, and ended up getting 700 pesos for our time. They say it lasts about 90 mins, but ours was probably less than 1 hour (and it would have been shorter, but we were actually interested and talked to a rep for more info), and we felt no pressure to buy. If you have some time, it might be worth it!

LOCATION-
For us, the location was perfect, we’d plan our “day trips” (Playa Uvas, Sea Turtle Brigade, Cozumel Bar Hop, and Chankanaab, see separate reviews) and at night we’d be able to walk around, shop, and have plenty of options for dinner. In all directions there is something to do!

If you go northwards, (there is the ferry to Playa) to Benito Juarez, if you walk down, besides some restaurants and shops, there is a little “square.” We were there on a Friday night, and there were big speakers set up playing music and people sitting, eating some snacks (like homemade tacos and tamales from an abuela [grandma]!), ice cream, steamed corn-on-the-cob covered in lime-flavored-mayo, and more. This is also the direction of “Sonora Grill,” which was fabulous! (See separate review.)

Going southwards (besides Casa Mexicana) there were still plenty of shopping and dining options (one evening we ate at Toro’s Place, great prices, good food, and great location…we were on the balcony overlooking the sea). The Punta Langosta Mall was nearby, which we didn’t really need to go “in” because there were enough vendors outside. This is where you could also find Carlos & Charlie’s, Senior Frogs, and Starbucks.

As you keep going the “Mega” store is there (it reminded me of a huge Wal-Mart), with anything you may need (food, clothes, washing machines). There is also Margaritaville and other restaurants. We went to the club 1.5 Tequila Lounge (if you want info, send me a message).

If you go eastwards, one block away is the “Del Sur Empanadas” that gets very high ranks on tripadvisor. See separate review.

ATMs –
There is an ATM right outside the hotel. It only gives US Dollars, and besides the fees your own bank will charge you, this machine charged us about 13%. If you walk just a little bit northwards, just before “Pepe’s Grill,” there is another ATM, this one has pesos. (We used this machine last time we were in Cozumel, but not this time, because we forgot where it was, until AFTER we had already used the ATM; it’s actually inside a tiny room, so you have to go into the door). There are other US Dollar ATMS all around. And, if you walk to the “square” (east on Benito Juarez) there is a 7-11 that has an ATM that gives pesos and didn’t charge us as nearly as much as the US Dollar machine.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

Let me preface this review with this disclaimer. This is a budget, boutique hotel so I will review it as such. If you are looking for a resort with all the amenities, I suggest you look elsewhere. However, if you are looking for a clean, inexpensive hotel that is close to the main square, I think this is a decent option. That being said I think there are better options in the same price range such as the Hotel Vista del Mar.

At check-in they put me in a room with no balcony, when I had reserved a city view room with balcony. No big deal, I go back downstairs to the desk and they put me in the correct room. I have to say the front desk staff here is not very friendly. Housekeeping, on the other hand, was very friendly and did an excellent job keeping the room clean the whole week. The room itself was fine. There is a full size fridge and a microwave which was really convenient. You can walk about a half mile up the main road to the Mega, which is the Mexican equivalent of Wal-Mart, and stock up on groceries. The room was obviously dated, but it was clean and the sheets were changed daily. The bed is as hard as advertised, but most beds are in hotels in Mexico. The shower takes 3-5 minutes to heat up, but after that there is plenty of hot water. The free wifi in the room worked flawlessly and was a nice touch. Many hotels want to charge you a ridiculous amount for internet access. A daily breakfast buffet was provided at their sister hotel, Casa Mexicana, which is a 5 minute walk away. It was very good. Made to order omelets, fresh fruit, pastries, bacon, cereal, juices, coffee, you name it, they got it. Definitely take advantage of the free breakfast if you stay here. The location is very good. You are just a 5-10 minute walk from all of the restaurants and bars in the main square and the Ultramar ferry to Playa del Carmen.

Overall, the hotel stay was fine. I wasn't blown away by the service or the room, but when I travel I don't spend a whole lot of time in the room anyway. This hotel is a good option if you can snag a good deal on it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Silver Spring, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly which are probably the two most important things. The beds were a bit hard, the water pressure a little low, and the A/C a bit noisy, but you can't really beat it for the price. The breakfast was excellent and included made to order omelets and a wide selection of fruits along with traditional Mexican breakfast items. The location is great, you're only a couple of blocks from the main square and ferry terminal. It's a great place for divers, there's several shops nearby and is a great place if you need a cheap place to stay while diving.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Suite Bahia 2/24-3/3/11. We wanted to check out Cozumel for the diving chose the cheapest option for flight + hotel on Orbitz. We figured we'd rather spend the money on diving.

We were not expecting much given how cheap it was, but we were pleasantly surprised. The rooms were clean, water was hot (after a little wait), and beds, although hard, were not uncomfortable. Air conditioning worked great. We enjoyed having the fridge, sink, and microwave to store and heat up leftovers. Free WiFi in the room with a computer in the lobby you can use for free if you need it. Breakfast buffet was included at sister hotel Casa Mexicana a block and a half down the street and was great as well. No bar, pool, or restaurant at Suites Bahia, but this did not really bother us much because we weren't really looking for that.

There was some traffic noise from outside, but we're from LA so it didn't bother us that much. We always bring ear plugs when we travel anyways, so we didn't even hear it at night. The diving in Cozumel was fantastic. Highly recommended this hotel for divers on a budget. It's located right in town so you can walk to a ton of restaurants and to the plaza with ease. If you're looking for a dive shop, Scuba Mau was great and they picked us up and dropped us off at the hotel everyday.

All in all, we had a great time. The only thing that I could have wished were different was more places to hang up wet clothes, but we brought our own clothesline and made it work. Would definitely stay here again on our next visit.

P.S. Del Sur restaurant is just up the street and has GREAT empanandas (Argentinian style). If you want to splurge, go across the street to Sorrisi. They serve awesome Italian food. Beef carpaccio appetizer was huge and tasted amazing!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Discovery Bay, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

The price is great and the room is clean. Location is great too... I just was the Taxi stand was elsewhere. The guy yelling "taxi, taxi, taxi" all day and night got old REALLY fast. I had to sleep with the sliding glass door shut and A/C on to drown out the noise.

The only other complaint was that it needs some updating. Blinds were broken and missing, bedspread had a bad cigarette burn. Beds were hard but not awful for me. One thing that bugged me was that the water for the shower took about 5 min (no kidding) to get warm. What a HUGE waste of water.

Breakfast buffet at the sister hotel Casa Mexicana was great... and it appears to be a nicer place. In fact, I think I'll stay there next time for a few bucks more.

PS. Think twice before going to the gellato place on the ground level of the Bahia... $7 USD for a cup of gellato. Stupidly expensive. It was cheaper and better in Rome!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Been to Suites Bahia? Share your experiences!