“Perfect holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Playa Azul Golf, Scuba, Spa

Save Saved
You added Playa Azul Golf, Scuba, Spa to your Saves list
Playa Azul Golf, Scuba, Spa
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Carretera a San Juan, Km 4 | Zona Hotelera Norte, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Web Special 7 nights
Ranked #10 of 56 hotels in Cozumel
Canada
“Perfect holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Spent 2 weeks here, perfect for us.
Joined up with people that have been coming for years.
Staff are wonderful..from the owner Fernando to bar staff, reception to housekeeping. The grounds are immaculate and rooms kept spotless.
We had a King room, very comfortable bed. All rooms are sea view and balcony. Free wifi throughout hotel.
Pool is not heated but perfect for cooling down.
Beach bar…great for sitting around and meeting people.

Spouse golfed every morning, great golf course.They are all totally spoiled by the staff there…ice towels brought out on course, clubs cleaned and stored there after every game. Lovely clubhouse and golf shop. Green course, very well maintained.
We booked for the hotel/ breakfast/ golf.

Walkable distance to town, about 45 mins (not going at full speed due to heat!) Cab ride is $7 to 8 or more if more people in a van type. $7 to golf course too.

Nice beach, small…but many hotels have no beach, just rocks. Lots of sun beds.
Perfect location for viewing the amazing sunsets. Sea is warm and gorgeous colour.
Tip…get into the water towards where the seadoos go in, more sand for the feet.
Great snorkelling right from the beach.

Town is nice. No obvious poverty and begging like in Mazatlan etc. Very safe to walk around. Vendors from store may ask you to come in, but "No Gracias" works. Several supermarkets, Beautiful Square, lots of REALLY excellent restaurants (Kundesa, Kinta, La Mission, New Especias)
Make sure you try the Chocolateria Isla Bella for their amazing chocolates.
Opposite the hotel is the Lobster restaurant where you can pick the size lobster you want. This place has the best key lime pie ever…. from which all future key lime pies will be forever judged.
Right next door is the no 1 restaurant on Tripadvisor at present, Buccanos at Night, open Fri and Sat. Loved it!

It's quiet. A lot of golfers staying there…so up at 7, early to bed. Sometimes the place was deserted by 9pm! Peaceful.

Restaurant very good. Wonderful breakfast (with room), has everything. Good coffee! Many choices and change daily, with a lovely cook to make eggs and pancakes. Service is great.
I had cheese quesadillas nearly every lunch with the the best guacamole and fresh salsa.
Dinner and lunch menus have lots of choice.

There is a spa on the front drive, which I didn't personally use but several people in our group did and loved it, returning many times for massages and treatments.
Also a tortoise enclosure by front doors!
Very reasonable laundry service...just put clothes in a laundry bag and they are returned the next day washed and folded in a basket with a flower!

Front desk very helpful, I arranged an island tour with them.
Definitely recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a golfing or peaceful, stress free holiday.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

410 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I will try to make this as short as possible as I can go on and on about this wonderful hotel.

First I wish there were more stars that you can rate this hotel with...as it is definately worthy of more than just 5...

This was my first time staying at the Playa Azul...and first time to Cozumel...however I can honestly say I felt like I was a regular. I felt welcomed immediately upon check in.

The staff was absolutely the best staff of any hotel I've ever stayed at. They went over and above to try to please you in such a genuine way that until you experience it you can't understand this good feeling. They did this in such a genuine caring way and made you feel like your were a valued guest the entire time.

The hotel was spotless. You never had to fight for a lounge chair under a palapa like you do at many other hotels.

The pillows and beds were so comfortable. The coffee to make in the room was so good too

i read all the reviews posted here on Trip Advisor and received such positive feedback on a post I made to inquire about it when making my choice of hotels....and honestly thought how could everyone have all positive comments and nothing negative to say about this place..

Well all I can say is everyone was so right and on target with all they had to say.

I hope any of you that are wondering or feeling the same way I did...one day have the opportunity to experience this quaint wonderful property.

This was the first time I've ever done an all inclusive food plan at a hotel. Oh my goodness..sooo glad I chose to.do so...as the food was outstanding. They don't hold back and everything was fresh, plentiful and so many choices. Only 1 buffet (breakfast) which had different choices and delicious waffles and omlettes cooked to order.. fresh fruits..cereals- juices... The other meals- snacks are order off their extensive menu. It was so fun to try so many different things ...all of which were spectacular.

I can honestly say I've never thanked so many people (staff members) each day at any
travel destination I've ever been to.

It was so nice to meet such nice people staying there - many of them regulars from Canada and Minnesota,

In summing it up i truly felt like I was visiting family members for a week and were a guest in their home and honestly I had a tear in my eye when I had to say good bye-

I know I will miss acknowledging a few along the way- but special thanks to Fernando , Marcel- Kermit- Carlos- Augusto ,. to the ladies who kept the room spotless each day - so very appreciative of all your kindness.

Thank you Playa Azul for this PERFECT stay and i will count the days till I return again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
The Villages, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We have vacationed at Playa Azul for the last four years. We love-love-love this hotel. My husband enjoys golf, and was able to play everyday. The day we arrived all of the staff rushed to greet us. They even remembered our beverage of choice. You just feel like you are at home. I also gave Playa Azul a five star rating due to the staff. Each and everyone was truly
grateful that we were there. Will return next year. Thanks to all the staff at Playa Azul for making our vacation memorable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Laguna Niguel, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is a lovely hotel, small, clean, super friendly staff! It is far away from the cruise ship people but still close enough if you want to eat in town.
They have the best beach on the Island, on the south part there are some sandy beaches but sometimes there is a bad smell coming from the water, also the hotel in that part are far away and taxi fares are very expensive.
The pool is small compare to other hotels but having that ocean who wants to be in a pool??
You can also play golf at the Country Club or have a massage.
I just love this place

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Our family stayed there for week over New Years. The reason that I gave this an excellent was due to the staff. every one of them was sincerely friendly, helpful and very service oriented. The location was great being far away from the cruise ship docks! we found the restaurant to be consistently good for every meal: breakfast, lunch and dinner. The rooms were comfortable with a great little patio. The only thing I think they could improve upon is the pool. There was way too much chlorine but easy problem to solve. Like other reviews, this is a place for people who want to relax and it is a great family place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Littleton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were here the first week of 2013, and though my review starts out fairly critical, I must say we had an absolutely great time and would definitely consider returning. We (wife and kids 19 and 22) were in room 304, a small, spartan yet comfortable room with a nice view of the beach and ocean. The room was about the size of a generic "Comfort Inn", so was not large. The TV is a very small flat screen (15-17"?), and most of the cable is in Spanish - but shame on you if you can't find something better to do than watch TV! The door has no deadbolt, and the knob of both the outside and bathroom door needed repair. There is also about a 1/4 " gap to the outside on the door frame, which let in alot of noise from the beach club next door and the birds in the palm trees in early morning. Although this gave us inital concern about safety, an in-room safe is provided, and we had no issues with safety throughout visit. The room was kept clean and the view from the balcony was nice. Daily replenishment of beach towels was a great touch. We could have used more than the standard 1 bottle of water given each day. On request, we occasionally were given a second bottle. The "beach" is made up of 4 small pocket beaches between piers and rocks, and in general was pretty quiet. On 3 of the 7 days we were there, tour buses pulled up to the beach club next door (which shares "our" beach (it is public)) and offloaded cruise ship groups, which could make the area rather crowded. On the other hand, it provided some entertainment watching the families play on the beach. We really enjoyed the snorkeling and would start about 2 blocks south and drift along the rocks 2-3 blocks to the North by the Hotel Cozumeleno, where the water started to get murkier. We saw tons of fish, barracuda, squid, rays, stars, as well as some coral. We always toured the island for 1/2 day, then returned to the hotel for afternoon sunning, swimming, and sunset. Jet ski rentals are just to the south of the hotel. Hurricane Wilma obviously did alot of damage to the north of here as the 1-2 blocks north of the hotel are just ruined shells of hotels (not sightly). For food, we did the all-inclusive, which was the buffet breakfast and menu lunch and dinner (not buffets). The food selection was extensive and good. Breakfast was not exactly gourmet, but it fit the bill. The wait staff was very courteous and we enjoyed them all. I agree with previous reviewers that it was rather slow, but that was usually only a problem at night as we would have them deliver lunch out to our beach chairs during the day, where we could tolerate the wait. We had several occasions of missed orders - but since it was all inclusive, we were usually OK with it. I would highly recommend the fishing charter (tunacozumel) which picks you up at the beach. The kitchen fixed our mahi mahi that we caught. The "free" golf is rather expensive. Everyone who plays, pays $30 for a cart ($90 for 3 players), and club rental is $35pp, no sharing of clubs (we are novices) so the whole thing was $195, but the course was nice and we enjoyed the crocs!
Overall, the hotel facade and structure are beautiful, the rooms could definitely use a bit of an upgrade. Nice beds and pillows.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is on the north end. We loved it. We stayed here over Christmas with the all inclusive option. It was way better than fiesta american where we stayed last Christmas. This place, like others on the north end, is much quieter than hotels on the south end. And it is closer to the airport. We were on the beach in about 30 minutes after landing. We had room 316 which is a top floor corner room and it was large and clean. The whole hotel was very clean. We loved the room because we had a king bed in a bedroom for my wife and I and the kids each had a couch in a completely separate room. Even the bathroom was big. We hung a hammock out across the corner of the balcony while we were there. The beach is good at this hotel. There is sand. We never had any trouble getting a chair. This place has the biggest nicest beach towels I have ever seen and there was no shortage of them. The snorkling is just ok here. But there was sea life to see, especially on the south side of the pier north of the bar. The food was very tasty. However, be prepared to wait on your food. It takes a little while for them to make it. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Playa Azul Golf, Scuba, Spa? Share your experiences!