“Predictably Very Good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Waldo, Ohio
“Predictably Very Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Our 11th year staying at the Coral Princess. There are two sides to the resort. The newer side is for non-member guests. The older side (north) is for members. The members side units are bigger with full kitchens. Well furnished, though the pillows could use some "fluffing" since they were replaced after Wilma. In fact, just about everything was replaced after Wilma. In our estimation, this was an upgrade.

Breakfast is generally on the terrace in front of the dining room, overlooking the ocean. If it rains, as it did much of the time we were there (thanks to Andrea), we ate inside. The breakfast is good and inexpensive.

Pool bar quality and service are excellent. At 5pm, it's two-fer one happy hour for an hour. Favorite activity was to stand in the pool while having beverages. Service is plastic.

We dived with divewithcristina.com, so did not take advantage of Pepe's dive shop on-site. A lot of guests did, though, for diving and lessons.

Please note that the "beach" is a sandy area with the requisite chaises and umbrellas, but it is above the water. You access the water by climbing down a ladder, and are in a bout 13 feet of water, soooo...not a walk-in beach.

Front desk is efficient, repairs are handled in a timely manner. The botones (bellboys) will take good care of you on arrival and departure, and if you need assistance during your stay, they are happy to oblige. One of the security guys did a lot of cab hailing for us, was very diligent.

It's about a 45 minute walk into San Miguel, or a quick, 60-peso cab ride (for 1-4 persons). Best to pay in pesos, because the dollar alternative is $6, which at the exchange rate during our stay, would have been 70 pesos.

We plan to return next year, as we have every year, generally with a small group from all over the US, to dive and relax.

Room Tip: "Jungle" view overlooks the road, can be noisy. Ocean view gets the sun in the afternoon a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
JOSE ANTONIO R, Gerente at Coral Princess Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Rick,

I hope you are well and thank you very much for taking the time to write your comment on TripAdvisor, as well as recommending us. Also, I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us at Coral Princess and I certainly know my colleagues will be equally pleased to know their efforts are making a memorable stay for you.

I look forward to seeing you soon, have a wonderful day.

Antonio Rico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Pennsauken, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

First of all if you a fan of lavish resorts with hot and cold running amenities, this is not the place. The Coral Princess is a laid back, family run and family style resort with unpretentious everything. It is, in the mind of my family and I, a true gem, with caring, attentive staff, good (not great) food, extremely reasonable prices. We can really relax there and know our vacation will be just that - a chance to renew and revitalize. I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Though rooms on the jungle side are a bit less expensive it cost not that much more to get a ocean s...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
JOSE ANTONIO R, Gerente at Coral Princess Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

I hope you are well and I am very glad that you have enjoyed Coral Princess with your whole family. Also, I would like to grateful for your comment on TripAdvisor, it is for us an excellent tool to read about what our guests think about our service and look the ways we can improve the service.

Keep in touch with us via Facebook: Coral Princess Hotel & Resort, for special packages, pictures, videos, promos, Cozumel news, events, and more.

Best Wishes,
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed there during Memorial day week. Really liked it. The other folks there were really nice. Meet nice people. Not crowded at all. Paid to have the upgrade to ocean view. Not to be missed. Room was #712,
Things that need improvement (just a few):
Having to keep a room key in the power slot was weird
Slow drainage in the shower

Room Tip: Get an ocean view...you will get a frig but no microwave. Which is odd since it can site perfectly...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I hope you are well and thank you very much for taking the time to write your comment on TripAdvisor and for the information about the shower, we already fixed.

I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us at Coral Princess Hotel & Resort. I hope to see you soon in this beautiful island. Have a wonderful day!!

indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Since this hotel has been reviewed a lot already, I'll try to highlight things I think others missed or things others said with which I disagree. We had a great stay here, so if it sounds negative, it's just because I'm trying to say things I wish I had known before coming here (...and as a caveat, my wife booked this trip as a surprise present to me, and neither of us really did any research. We just knew we stopped here as a port on a cruise ship ten years ago and really wanted to stay longer).

1) This is a 'vacation club' (i.e. timeshare). Yes, they do rent rooms as hotel rooms, and you can book them on all the big travel websites, but every single person we talked to was a timeshare owner. Some were even snippy when they found out we weren't. You WILL be approached multiple times about attending a 60- 90 minute presentation, and they will try to comp you something to entice you to come- for us, it was a rental car ($65/ day in the hotel lobby plus $25 for insurance) and a massage. I personally think timeshares are a really, really (really) bad idea, and there was no way I was signing up for one, but you can make your own decisions. I finally said bluntly that we were too busy and simply not interested. I'll pay for my own rental car, thank you very much. To their credit, they are respectful, unlike the vultures in the airport lobby, and when I said in no uncertain terms 'NO', that was the end of it, and we weren't bothered anymore. Just know that you'll have to deal with this.

2) I wouldn't say this is really within walking distance of town. Google says it's a 31 minute walk to Guido's Restaurant in San Miguel, which I use as a landmark because it's on the north end of town, and it's a restaurant not to be missed. My wife and I are both regular runners, and we went for a walk before dinner one night, about 20 minutes each way, and we were nowhere near town. You'll need to either pay taxis (about $10 each way after tip- and you really need to tip because the drivers are so helpful) or rent a car (see the exorbitant $90/ day rate above) because you'll get tired of the restaurant here and want to sample the many excellent choices in town. Also, the beaches on the east side are outstanding and highly underrated in my opinion, and it will cost even more to get there. Taxis or rental cars are both expensive. Do the math yourself based on what you want to do while there. Just know this isn't really a place where you can just walk everywhere.

3) It's not really a good place for young kids. We have small kids, and this was our first ever trip without them. There were some kids here, but I think this hotel is best for older kids. I say this because everyone will want to swim in the sea, and there is no zero-entry or beach. The water is maybe 12- 15' deep at the rock/ coral wall, and there is a moderately strong current that pushes to the north and AWAY from the hotel. Again, I'm in pretty good shape and am a reasonable swimmer myself, and even I was surprised. There are no lifeguards or other attendants and no life vests available. I simply wouldn't feel comfortable letting a child swim here. Also, there really aren't any 'activities' per se at the resort. Fine by me, but entertaining kids is a full-time job, and other resorts may be a better choice for kids.

4) This is really a diver's resort. Everyone we talked to was here to scuba dive, and I've heard that the dive shop on-site is excellent, so that's understandable. They were very friendly when we rented snorkeling gear (FYI: This is not included, so bring your own from home or get the credit card ready). We felt a little out of place since we don't scuba, but that's no big deal. We did snorkel, and it was a lot of fun, but it's not quite as picturesque to snorkel here as some led us to believe. It's mostly just rocks but lots of fish and some rays and squid. I think scuba is the big draw here, and if you don't scuba, it may seem a little too quiet and boring.

So those are the main things I noticed. Would I stay here again or would I recommend it to a friend? I really want to say yes because we had such a nice time. The view CANNOT be beaten. I probably wouldn't return here though only because I don't like dealing with the timeshare hassle -Again, they were very nice, but it's just not something I want to deal with or spend time on when I'm on vacation. We might want to try something either in town or an all-inclusive (especially with the kids) next time. As you can see, the property manager reads and responds to reviews on Trip Advisor, which speaks very highly of the level of engagement and concern for guests. Overall, we had a great time and are glad we got to stay here.

Room Tip: Pay up for the ocean view. It is OUTSTANDING!!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

First of all, I really like to thank you for taking the time to write your comment on TripAdvisor, you really think in many aspects of Coral Princess and I enjoyed read all your suggestions. Also, I would like you to know, we take very seriously all guests comments in order to improve our service.

I sincerely hope, you will consider staying with us again so that we can demonstrate the level of service that we known for. Please contact me directly by asking for the general manager if you are planning to come back to Cozumel and I will personally oversee your stay.

Blowing Rock, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Our family has been vacationing in Cozumel annually for the past 7 years. I had traveled to Cozumel to dive on many, many occasions previously, beginning in 1978. After staying in several different resorts, I was invited to stay in the Coral Princess by the owner of Pepe's SCUBA, Jose Molina. I stayed, and we have returned and stayed and stayed and stayed...at the Coral Princess.

The rooms and condominiums are great, spacious, and comfortable for family and friends. The staff treats us like their family and cannot seem to do enough to make us comfortable and happy while we are there. The concierge staff members are very knowledgeable and accommodating, offering suggestions, assistance, and even discounts for the various restaurants and activities on the island and in town.

The restaurant at the Coral Princess is fabulous, offering local cuisine, some Americanized dishes, and phenomenal desserts along with outdoor dining next to the beautiful sea. The Coral Princess may well be the best all around resort on the great island of Cozumel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
JOSE ANTONIO R, Gerente at Coral Princess Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Tim,

I am very glad to read your comment on TripAdvisor, as well as know your opinion about our facilities and our staff. I certainly know my colleagues will be equally pleased to know their efforts are making a memorable stay for you and your family.

I hope to see you soon on this beautiful island and in name of all Coral Princess staff wish you a wonderful day.

Jose Antonio Rico
Richmond, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Arrived at 11:00am. They let us check in early, which was nice. Had lunch in the restaurant. Not very good and overpriced. Went grocery shopping and made most of our meals in the room after that. Heavy rain that night. Water poured into the room through the old leaky doors and flooded the whole suite. The next night a lot of bugs came into the room through those same gaps in the door seals. Got them to spray poison, and that took care of it. Good housekeeping, ocean views, and friendly staff made up for the negatives. Dive shop on site is great. A lot of sand fleas and Mosquitos kept us scratching. Drinks are weak and overpriced, but with our kitchen in the suite, we were able to make our own. Comfortable beds and the a/c is good as long as you run it 24 hrs a day on cold. Not a party place, but it's nice a quiet at night. $5 taxi ride in to town. Good value. We walked in and rode back. I'd go back.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view with a kitchen
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Johnny,

I hope you are well and I appreciate your comment on TripAdvisor . I would like you to know that I take very seriously all Guest's Comments in order to improve our hotel facilities, therefore, we will take in consideration all your suggestions.

Also I need to tell you, those days in Cozumel were very rainy days and it last like two weeks raining, that's why there were a lot of mosquitos. On the other hand, I am glad to tell you, right now we are changing all our doors to don't let the water come into the room.

Regards,
Jose Antonio Rico
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is a great hotel on the north end of the island. I have been staying there about every other year for the last 13 years. The restaurant is very good. The staff makes you feel welcomed and at home. You don't need a car if you stay here as you can easiily catch a taxi to town and it is reasonable in price or you can stroll into town if you don't mind a long walk. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the ocean view. It is great and they do have rooms that don't have the ocean view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
JOSE ANTONIO R, Gerente at Coral Princess Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

I hope you are well, and thank you for taking the time to write your comment on TripAdvisor. I am very glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us at Coral Princess Hotel & Resort, furthermore your loyalty with us year after year, I certainly know my colleagues will be equally pleased to know their efforts are making a memorable stay for you.

I hope to see you soon at this wonderful island and, in your home away from home: Coral Princess.

BEST REGARDS
JOSE ANTONIO RICO

Been to Coral Princess Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!