“Pretty nice, some improvements” 4 of 5 stars

Coral Princess Hotel & Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Carr. Costera Norte Km. 2.5, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #19 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Atlanta, GA
“Pretty nice, some improvements”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed there during Memorial day week. Really liked it. The other folks there were really nice. Meet nice people. Not crowded at all. Paid to have the upgrade to ocean view. Not to be missed. Room was #712,
Things that need improvement (just a few):
Having to keep a room key in the power slot was weird
Slow drainage in the shower

Room Tip: Get an ocean view...you will get a frig but no microwave. Which is odd since it can site perfectly...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
JOSE ANTONIO R, Gerente at Coral Princess Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

I hope you are well and thank you very much for taking the time to write your comment on TripAdvisor and for the information about the shower, we already fixed.

I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us at Coral Princess Hotel & Resort. I hope to see you soon in this beautiful island. Have a wonderful day!!

Antonio Rico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Since this hotel has been reviewed a lot already, I'll try to highlight things I think others missed or things others said with which I disagree. We had a great stay here, so if it sounds negative, it's just because I'm trying to say things I wish I had known before coming here (...and as a caveat, my wife booked this trip as a surprise present to me, and neither of us really did any research. We just knew we stopped here as a port on a cruise ship ten years ago and really wanted to stay longer).

1) This is a 'vacation club' (i.e. timeshare). Yes, they do rent rooms as hotel rooms, and you can book them on all the big travel websites, but every single person we talked to was a timeshare owner. Some were even snippy when they found out we weren't. You WILL be approached multiple times about attending a 60- 90 minute presentation, and they will try to comp you something to entice you to come- for us, it was a rental car ($65/ day in the hotel lobby plus $25 for insurance) and a massage. I personally think timeshares are a really, really (really) bad idea, and there was no way I was signing up for one, but you can make your own decisions. I finally said bluntly that we were too busy and simply not interested. I'll pay for my own rental car, thank you very much. To their credit, they are respectful, unlike the vultures in the airport lobby, and when I said in no uncertain terms 'NO', that was the end of it, and we weren't bothered anymore. Just know that you'll have to deal with this.

2) I wouldn't say this is really within walking distance of town. Google says it's a 31 minute walk to Guido's Restaurant in San Miguel, which I use as a landmark because it's on the north end of town, and it's a restaurant not to be missed. My wife and I are both regular runners, and we went for a walk before dinner one night, about 20 minutes each way, and we were nowhere near town. You'll need to either pay taxis (about $10 each way after tip- and you really need to tip because the drivers are so helpful) or rent a car (see the exorbitant $90/ day rate above) because you'll get tired of the restaurant here and want to sample the many excellent choices in town. Also, the beaches on the east side are outstanding and highly underrated in my opinion, and it will cost even more to get there. Taxis or rental cars are both expensive. Do the math yourself based on what you want to do while there. Just know this isn't really a place where you can just walk everywhere.

3) It's not really a good place for young kids. We have small kids, and this was our first ever trip without them. There were some kids here, but I think this hotel is best for older kids. I say this because everyone will want to swim in the sea, and there is no zero-entry or beach. The water is maybe 12- 15' deep at the rock/ coral wall, and there is a moderately strong current that pushes to the north and AWAY from the hotel. Again, I'm in pretty good shape and am a reasonable swimmer myself, and even I was surprised. There are no lifeguards or other attendants and no life vests available. I simply wouldn't feel comfortable letting a child swim here. Also, there really aren't any 'activities' per se at the resort. Fine by me, but entertaining kids is a full-time job, and other resorts may be a better choice for kids.

4) This is really a diver's resort. Everyone we talked to was here to scuba dive, and I've heard that the dive shop on-site is excellent, so that's understandable. They were very friendly when we rented snorkeling gear (FYI: This is not included, so bring your own from home or get the credit card ready). We felt a little out of place since we don't scuba, but that's no big deal. We did snorkel, and it was a lot of fun, but it's not quite as picturesque to snorkel here as some led us to believe. It's mostly just rocks but lots of fish and some rays and squid. I think scuba is the big draw here, and if you don't scuba, it may seem a little too quiet and boring.

So those are the main things I noticed. Would I stay here again or would I recommend it to a friend? I really want to say yes because we had such a nice time. The view CANNOT be beaten. I probably wouldn't return here though only because I don't like dealing with the timeshare hassle -Again, they were very nice, but it's just not something I want to deal with or spend time on when I'm on vacation. We might want to try something either in town or an all-inclusive (especially with the kids) next time. As you can see, the property manager reads and responds to reviews on Trip Advisor, which speaks very highly of the level of engagement and concern for guests. Overall, we had a great time and are glad we got to stay here.

Room Tip: Pay up for the ocean view. It is OUTSTANDING!!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

First of all, I really like to thank you for taking the time to write your comment on TripAdvisor, you really think in many aspects of Coral Princess and I enjoyed read all your suggestions. Also, I would like you to know, we take very seriously all guests comments in order to improve our service.

I sincerely hope, you will consider staying with us again so that we can demonstrate the level of service that we known for. Please contact me directly by asking for the general manager if you are planning to come back to Cozumel and I will personally oversee your stay.

I look forward to seeing you soon, have a great day!

Blowing Rock, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Our family has been vacationing in Cozumel annually for the past 7 years. I had traveled to Cozumel to dive on many, many occasions previously, beginning in 1978. After staying in several different resorts, I was invited to stay in the Coral Princess by the owner of Pepe's SCUBA, Jose Molina. I stayed, and we have returned and stayed and stayed and stayed...at the Coral Princess.

The rooms and condominiums are great, spacious, and comfortable for family and friends. The staff treats us like their family and cannot seem to do enough to make us comfortable and happy while we are there. The concierge staff members are very knowledgeable and accommodating, offering suggestions, assistance, and even discounts for the various restaurants and activities on the island and in town.

The restaurant at the Coral Princess is fabulous, offering local cuisine, some Americanized dishes, and phenomenal desserts along with outdoor dining next to the beautiful sea. The Coral Princess may well be the best all around resort on the great island of Cozumel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
JOSE ANTONIO R, Gerente at Coral Princess Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Tim,

I am very glad to read your comment on TripAdvisor, as well as know your opinion about our facilities and our staff. I certainly know my colleagues will be equally pleased to know their efforts are making a memorable stay for you and your family.

I hope to see you soon on this beautiful island and in name of all Coral Princess staff wish you a wonderful day.

Jose Antonio Rico
Richmond, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Arrived at 11:00am. They let us check in early, which was nice. Had lunch in the restaurant. Not very good and overpriced. Went grocery shopping and made most of our meals in the room after that. Heavy rain that night. Water poured into the room through the old leaky doors and flooded the whole suite. The next night a lot of bugs came into the room through those same gaps in the door seals. Got them to spray poison, and that took care of it. Good housekeeping, ocean views, and friendly staff made up for the negatives. Dive shop on site is great. A lot of sand fleas and Mosquitos kept us scratching. Drinks are weak and overpriced, but with our kitchen in the suite, we were able to make our own. Comfortable beds and the a/c is good as long as you run it 24 hrs a day on cold. Not a party place, but it's nice a quiet at night. $5 taxi ride in to town. Good value. We walked in and rode back. I'd go back.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view with a kitchen
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Johnny,

I hope you are well and I appreciate your comment on TripAdvisor . I would like you to know that I take very seriously all Guest's Comments in order to improve our hotel facilities, therefore, we will take in consideration all your suggestions.

Also I need to tell you, those days in Cozumel were very rainy days and it last like two weeks raining, that's why there were a lot of mosquitos. On the other hand, I am glad to tell you, right now we are changing all our doors to don't let the water come into the room.

I look forward to seeing you soon, have a great day!

Regards,
Jose Antonio Rico
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is a great hotel on the north end of the island. I have been staying there about every other year for the last 13 years. The restaurant is very good. The staff makes you feel welcomed and at home. You don't need a car if you stay here as you can easiily catch a taxi to town and it is reasonable in price or you can stroll into town if you don't mind a long walk. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the ocean view. It is great and they do have rooms that don't have the ocean view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
JOSE ANTONIO R, Gerente at Coral Princess Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

I hope you are well, and thank you for taking the time to write your comment on TripAdvisor. I am very glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us at Coral Princess Hotel & Resort, furthermore your loyalty with us year after year, I certainly know my colleagues will be equally pleased to know their efforts are making a memorable stay for you.

I hope to see you soon at this wonderful island and, in your home away from home: Coral Princess.

BEST REGARDS
JOSE ANTONIO RICO
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We have stayed at the Coral Princess. The view and the snorkeling are some of the best in the world! If you are expecting a five star room though, you need to lower your expectations. The accommodations are ok though for my wife since we go for the diving. The price is right for a nights stay, based on the overall package. Te bar food is good. Jaime, the Lead Bellman, is a tremendous employee and very helpful on helping to serve Concierge duties too.

Dear Brent,

I hope you are well and thank you for taking the time to write your comment on TripAdvisor, it is of us an excellent tool to keep improving. On the other hand, I am pleased that you have enjoyed you stay with us at Coral Princess Hotel & Resort, and you consider the snorkel and Cozumel ocean views as one of the best on the world, by the way I am totally agree with you.

I look forward to seeing you soon.

Have an excellent day
Nazareth, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

So glad we picked the Coral Princess. It is away from the hustle & bustle, but close enough to walk into town. The snorkeling is great, you just jump into the ocean from the small dock. Rooms are clean, fluffy towels and very comfortable beds. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful with anything you might need. Meals at the hotel were pricey, but we only ate one meal there during our week's stay. We would walk to town in the early evening, have dinner and then stroll to Mega, the large supermarket. We would buy something there to have for lunch the next day, and then take a cab ($6) back to the hotel. The rooms all have a fridge, and most have kitchenettes. There are no restaurants or shops right around the hotel, but if you don't mind a 30 min walk, you can easily reach the town center and/or cabs are always available.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
JOSE ANTONIO R, Gerente at Coral Princess Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Guest:

I hope you are well, and thank you very much for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor, I am very glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us at Coral Princess Hotel & Resort.

If there's anything else you need for the next time you come to Cozumel, feel free to contact me, I will feel very pleasant to attend you.

I look forward to seeing you soon, Have a wonderful day!

Antonio

Been to Coral Princess Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!