“Awesome 4th Stay at the CP” 4 of 5 stars

Coral Princess Hotel & Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carr. Costera Norte Km. 2.5, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #16 of 58 hotels in Cozumel
Denver, Colorado
“Awesome 4th Stay at the CP”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We just returned from an amazing 10 day stay at the Coral Princess. We have been to Cozumel 10+ times and love the north end of the island for the tranquility and snorkeling. The hotel is well maintained and the staff is very friendly. The ocean view is amazing! Unbelievable snorkeling and sunsets.

The hotel is perfect for those who do not like the "buffet land" all-inclusive resorts. In my opinion, It is better to get out and experience the island rather than be tied to one place day in and out. If you do want to dine in-house, the CP restaurant has very good (made to order) food and we had the breakfast plan included ( they let us switch out the Coral Breakfast meal and charged us for any price difference when we wanted something different). The hotel is a nice walk into town or a short cab ride (we rented a car for the week-- which usually works out to be about the same price as taking cabs around the island). We utilized the gym, the spa (massage) and the bars.

The service was at times... slow. But on a vacation in the Caribbean, not a big deal. The gym could use a treadmill and the karaoke bar staff could learn to work the machine (maybe they did not want to listen to me sing) but the location and beauty of this property cannot be beat. We did stay at the Fontan (now B) last year just to check it out, but the CP is definitely the way to go.

The only irritating thing was that the concierge (who is super nice) asked-- that since we had stayed several times if we would do a short 30 minute vacation club presentation. I did want to see the larger rooms because we have always stayed in the king ocean suite and was interested. The timeshare manager was a total jerk. After being told that I wasting his time, I told him that it was my birthday and I just wanted to see what the larger suites were like and then had plans for the rest of the day. He took me outside and pointed to one of the units from the pool area and said, "see there it is". No lie! I then asked again, as I was told that I was invited to do a tour of the larger units, he then told me he was not a bell boy. It is the bell boy's job to show rooms. Keep in mind that I was invited to the presentation. I did not seek one out. The time share manager also insulted the room we were staying in calling it a "dorm room"... not sure what his tactic was there. In the end, my thought is that while I am on vacation. I don't want to cook, mix a drink, watch TV or do anything else...maybe if I was there for a month, but not for a week or so.

Other than that one timeshare thing, it was perfectly lovely. We look forward to going back to the Coral Princess on our next trip to Cozumel. BTW, We went with another couple and they loved it there as well.

Room Tip: get the ocean view room. . ..watch the cruise ships come into the island in the morning and leave at...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
JOSE ANTONIO R, Gerente at Coral Princess Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, Coral Princess' Family is very important to know how were your holidays, I'm glad to know they spent 10 wonderful days in this beautiful island, and I share his opinion the best is to stay in Coral princess take your breakfast and meet all how beautiful they are on the island in addition to knowledge of the regional cuisine. I'll talk with the Director of Timeshare to not happen again, an incident like what happened to you, you have my word

530 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have been going to the Coral Princess for about 12 years and always enjoy the beach, snorkeling and diving. It's geared towards families rather than a big party crowd - it's relatively quiet and generally settles down early, allowing us to leave the windows open and hear the sound of the surf at night. We like that about it. We also love that there is excellent snorkeling on the reef right off the back beach and that they have invested in improvements recently, notably hooking up to a new sewer line. I agree with some of the other comments that the Coral Princess needs some updating. It's an older, smaller property and doesn't have some of the amenities that the newer big all-inclusives have. No fancy gym, no massive upscale buffets and some of the bathrooms need work. There is an on-site dive operator, a restaurant and 3 bars, and some concierge services such as setting up day trips or car rentals. There is food service on the beach, as well as a massage service that offers a variety of massage styles (relaxation, sports, etc.) at tables set up under a tented canopy on the beach. They have a small childrens' playroom and some arts & crafts offerings for kids.

We rarely eat at the hotel restaurants since we have a timeshare with kitchen and typically make our own breakfasts and lunches, then eat dinner at the wonderful restaurants in town. We like to attend the weekly fiesta, hosted on the beach and with lively local entertainment. It's usually a fun evening and the food is good and nicely presented. There is a happy hour with 2-for-1 drinks at the Palapa bar on the beach.

I have always found the staff to be friendly and helpful *within limits*... I've noticed that staff in many countries outside the US are not necessarily empowered to "do whatever it takes" to make the customer happy. They sometimes don't understand the request or don't always have sufficient English language skills to explain. This can be frustrating, but I have to say that in most cases they do try to understand and accommodate (eventually and sometimes after several reminders).

We normally stay there in the spring and we have found, as others have noted, that the number of guests seems to have declined over the past couple of years. Perhaps this is due to the specific dates we visit, or perhaps people are more attracted to larger properties with more extravagant amenities. I hope that the CP survives - we enjoy the location, ambiance and staff and look forward to many more visits.

Room Tip: Choose oceanview room - the sunsets and sound of surf at night are wonderful!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
JOSE ANTONIO R, Gerente at Coral Princess Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Many thanks for your comments, we continue to improve the Hotel to all our partners and customers, we are convinced that there are preferences for everyone, and there are many people who prefer a hotel like Coral Princess for the service that we provide, while staying at Coral Princess Hotel & Resort guests choose where and when to eat and enjoy the destination and more importantly know the island, Thanks for your feedback and hope soon for this home
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

In january it is going to be our 5 th trip there and I have to say for someone like me who always say that he would not be back twice to the same place;it is quite funny :)
Staff is great:most of the same people for the last 8-9 years and they will recognise you;Isidor is a fantastic bar tender! We scuba dive so we love "Scuba Pepe" and Abdias great dive master;food is really good,incredible happy hour twice a day,very clean hotel in fact having a share time there is not a stupid idea....I have been back-packing in India,Indonesia,Laos etc..for years but have to say:The Coral princess hotel has a very special place for me and my wife Diane:we always relax there 100% and the day of the departure;we have our little tradition:feeding the fish in the ocean which is next to the hotel like the scuba dive club (inside the hotel) so the departure day is always a sad day!

Room Tip: make sure you have an ocean view!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Morrison Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

My husband and I, along with our 16 year-old daughter stayed at the CP July 23-30. This was our 5th trip to Coz in a little over 2 years. Prior to our trip I had been reading tripadvisor reviews stating that there were a lot of renovations being done at the hotel and that it was causing a lot of problems for guests. I tried messaging the CP prior to our visit to ensure that the renovations were nearing completion, but was never able to get a straight answer. Upon our arrival it appeared their occupancy was extremely low, as it had been on all our prior stays. We actually love the quiet, uncrowded atmosphere. We had already booked and paid for an ocean-view room. When we were taken to our room there was no mini refrigerator in it. They explained that since we'd requested a room with 2 double beds, rather than a single king bed, there was no mini fridge ???? Since there were 3 of us, we had to have 2 beds, so we asked to look at a suite with 2 double beds and a kitchen. When we asked if we could upgrade our reservation to the suite, we were told it would be around $250USD for the upgrade. We tried negotiating with the front desk clerk, who then called the manager in to talk to us. We explained that we were returning guests and asked if they could do any better, but they refused. So we went ahead and paid for the upgrade. When we got checked into the room we noticed that the bathroom was in very poor condition. The bathtub had several areas that were rusted through on both the outside and inside - enough so that I was not comfortable actually taking a bath in it. The bedroom, kitchen, and sitting area were fine. Since we were in Coz to dive and snorkel, we arose very early each morning. Our first morning there we went down to the gymnasium to work out before breakfast and found paper signs taped on both the treadmill and stair stepper stating they were out of order for maintenance ???? All that left was free weights or 2 very old stationary bicycles. There was also no way to turn on the air conditioner in the gym. So we gave up on exercising each morning. We then went to the restaurant for breakfast, which had been INCLUDED every other time we stayed at the CP. The wait staff, whom we recognized from all our other stays, seemed confused and apologetic but said they didn't think our breakfast was included. There was no one at the front desk yet who could actually tell us for sure, so we went ahead and ate and went to the front desk after we returned from diving to ask about it. We were informed that our breakfast was NOT included, and were told the reason it had been included in our other stays was because we had used a travel agency/service and that it was included in our "package". I kept explaining that NO we had not used a travel agency or had any package in the past, but had booked ourselves just as this time. That got us nowhere and they refused to include our breakfast just as they had refused to negotiate our room upgrade. At that point we just went back to the room, very disappointed and frustrated, to relax and take a nap. We were awakened a short time later by loud hammering, drilling, and other construction noises. I looked off our bedroom balcony and noticed a platform suspended a little below our room. There were workers on it doing work, as well as workers on balconies a little below and to the left of ours doing work. They were hammering, sanding, drilling, you name it. Needless to say we were at the end of our patience. We went down and spoke to the front desk AGAIN.. same guy who wouldn't negotiate our upgrade, same guy who wouldn't include our breakfast.. we told him this was IT - either we were not going to be disturbed by workers in our room anymore, or we were going to be moved to a quieter room. He explained that he couldn't move us because there were guests coming to check in over the next 2 days and we couldn't take those rooms. By this time, we had counted and there did not appear to be 10 other guests in the hotel. So his argument made absolutely no sense. We told him that we were either going to have peace and quiet or they were going to move us. He told us that he would talk to the manager and the construction crew and find out how much longer they would be working. When we went back later that evening to ask what he'd found out, he told us that they crew had moved to another property on the island and would not be working outside and disturbing us anymore. The following day, as we kept to our same routine: up very early, out of the hotel to dive and then eat lunch, and returning for an afternoon siesta, we all laid down to rest and nap and were awoken a short time later by sounds of some type of loud grinding, from the adjoining room to ours. So clearly, although the crew wasn't working outside, someone was still doing some work inside the hotel. On top of all that, as another tripadvisor reviewer mentioned, the hotel guests directly above us, moved their furniture around pretty much all the time. We were super careful to be quiet when we moved our kitchen chairs because they did make a VERY loud screeching noise on the tile floors unless you carefully lifted them and moved them. I just kept thinking: How much would it cost the CP to buy felt pads to put under the chair legs in the suites? I mean, seriously.. PROBLEM SOLVED. But by this time we had realized that nothing was going to get any better. We just had to stick it out the remainder of our week there. What we realized in the end was that we ended up paying considerably more for our week there than our friends who were staying on Coz the same time as us, in a fully all-inclusive resort. Although we do love the longtime wait and bar staff at the CP, I can't imagine staying there again. There's just no reason to spend as much staying there with nothing included. It's a shame that the staff and management doesn't try to work with and reward their repeat guests. When your occupancy is so extremely low, it seems like they would be willing to make adjustments to keep the guests who ARE coming back happy. Sadly, that is not the case. I don't foresee a circumstance where we will stay at the CP again, and I would not recommend anyone else stay there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
JOSE ANTONIO R, Gerente at Coral Princess Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Good Afternoon, Thank you very much for your comments, But Our Quality Department Determined that important details are omitted, The reservation was made by Hotel Beds and had no breakfast inclusive, in our page and another’s indicates Some rooms have a small refrigerator available upon request, we must also mention that for the benefit of all customers we bay improvements in the balconies of the hotel, for that reason we hired a group of people from another city, We received your complaint, will stop works immediately and sent the peoples work some departments we have in the center, Then tell them that the noises were continued this property beside the hotel they are building a wall and we can not stop them, they were also given the option of changing room but did not take, with the rate we have established and claimed the ascent of an Oceanfront Studio, a Coral Villa Suite with 2 beds with kitchenette and sofa bed, at all times were treated and hope that complements your comment with the information we have, this is in order to serve other travelers know that all complaints and customer feedback immediately and offer solutions hope to see again in the Hotel, will continue to do enhancements to provide a better service.
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Love being right on the water with a spectacular view of the ocean!! Had a one bedroom suite w/ kitchenette. I opted for this to get a full balcony where I could comfortably sit. Room was clean. Bathroom was okay - just had the typical musty sort of smell that is common in the tropics. The bathtub was a little dated looking and not totally spik and span white again like is common in many tropical hotels but it was all fine. Be sure the connecting doors to other rooms are completely latched! One of mine wasn't an a new neighbor opened the adjoining door while checking out their own room - scared me! But I went straight downstairs to the conceirge, Pedro, and he was very quick to get the maintenance man their quickly to be sure the doors were locking again as they should.

The beach area is great!! I don't mind that beaches in this area of the island are man-made. I enjoy being so close to the water and being able to jump in and go snorkeling right there. Restaurant was good. If a buffet was being served outside, they typically woudn't serve dinner in the restaurant. I went up to the bar to get a meal inside.

Location is great! It's not so busy just north of downtown and it's an easy but long walk into town. I am a female traveling alone and felt totally safe walking around. Many times I would walk to town and take a taxi back.

This was my 15th trip to Cozumel and first time at CP - I will stay here again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
JOSE ANTONIO R, Gerente at Coral Princess Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback we are happy to know you enjoyed the best view of Cozumel, in addition to good service and care provided by family Coral Princess
Mishawaka, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

The staff of the Coral Princess was excellent! Everyone was friendly and helpful. The hotel is older, and not super plush, but it was very clean. The pool/beach area was outstanding! It was quiet and relaxing. The bar staff and wait staff from the restaurant was always very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for your feedback and for sharing your great future customers experience Coral Princess Hotel & Resort
Progreso, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Spent the last week at the Coral Princess. The hotel is not as well staffed as it has been in past years and the property is really starting to show it's age. Titles are failing off the pool, several things in the room didn't work quite right.. for example the toilet clogged up 4 our of 7 mornings. The hotel was nearly empty but somehow we ended up below a family who seems to be rearranging the furniture all night. I have no idea what they were doing but you could hear chairs or tables being slid across the title floor off and on all night. Maid service was spotty at best. None of the ice machine work on any floors. You can go to the bar and if someone is working in there they will give you ice. But that turns out to be a pretty big if. The food in the restaurant is sadly really poor quality. I had a steak one night and became really ill several hours later. I spoke with a lady in the pool who had the exact same reaction to a steak she'd eaten a couple days prior.

The staff that are left really do try and they are friendly but there's just not enough of them to serve everyone... and the place was no where near full.

Actually pretty sad to see such a nice place go so far down hill. Probably won't be returning.

Room Tip: Avoid eating there. The cost of taxis is well worth not spending a day in the room ill.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Many Thanks for all your comments, will be very useful for us, the important thing is that everyone Tripadvisor can express their views, I recommend that when you have some detail in places you stay the manifest by telephone to support it in the moment, so we do in Coral Princess Hotel & Resort, I see that some of the details and insights he had in the room could be arranged immediately, we hope to be back in the hotel many thanks

Been to Coral Princess Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!