“Nice, clean simple property - convenient for divers” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Cozumel and Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Costera Sur, Km 1.7, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #36 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Carrollton, Texas
“Nice, clean simple property - convenient for divers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I haven't stayed at the Hotel Cozumel since 2007, and was very pleasantly surprised during my recent stay, 7/4 - 7/8. The hotel rooms have been upgraded. If you're looking for a five-star property, this is not the hotel for you. If you are looking for a clean, well-located property with FREE WI-FI, this is it.

We booked this trip one week prior to departure and were pleasantly surprised at the deal we got with Fun Jet Vacations, which uses the charter carrier, Sun Country Airlines.

We upgraded to an ocean-view room which was a very wise decision since we are scuba divers. The ocean-view rooms are closest to the lobby and front of the hotel, which makes for a quick walk through the tunnel to the beach and the dive shop. We dived with the house shop, Paradise Divers.

We had an all-inclusive package, but since we're very familiar with Cozumel and love eating at local restaurants, we used our package for cocktails, breakfast and lunch only.

Hotel Cozumel is located about a half-hour walk to the main part of the island, San Miguel, the hub of the island.

The hotel and restaurants were all slow this time of year; apparently July is low season/hurricane season, so the resort was only at about 1/3 occupancy, and the restaurants in town were not packed. We ate dinner once at Hotel Cozumel's buffet. It was just OK. Nothing was a standout. The pasta bar was good. The air conditioning in our room worked flawlessly. In fact, we had to make it warmer because it worked so efficiently. That's a blessing in Cozumel's humid environment.

As divers, we wanted the convenience of an all-inclusive property so we could eat breakfast before boarding the dive boats, and in turn have lunch on the property when we returned from the morning's dives. The breakfasts are buffet style with a chef making eggs/omelets cooked to order. A nice variety of fruits and breads were offered. The staff was very accommodating, even when I asked for bottled water without ice, which wasn't on the buffet.

We ate lunch at the poolside snack bar - tacos/quesadillas, snack food. Again, simple but decent, and convenient. It was nice to have a post-dive cocktail. If you order a "brand" tequila, it is not included in your all-inclusive plan.

The staff throughout the property, as they are in most of Cozumel, are extremely friendly and helpful.

The hotel has large bottled water dispensers on each floor of the hotel, so you can fill your own glasses/mug with potable drinking water. That's a nice touch. The wi-fi was free and worked well. I realize that a vacation is to get away from it all, but I had a business transaction going on stateside that required accessibility, so this was a great bonus to have, and at no charge.

It's not the Ritz, but it is not intended to be. I plan to stay there again on my next trip to Cozumel, which will be my 18th trip there!!!

I have never had a bad experience on the island, whether it be food, accommodations, staff, etc. It's one of my favorite places in the whole world.

Room Tip: If you are a diver and don't want a long schlep to the dock with your dive gear, select an ocean...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Hotel Cozumel & Resort was a hidden surprise. I stayed 6 days & 5 nights and it was a pleasure. The prices for the all-inclusive stay was very reasonable and take it from me, I am a diva on a budget. It was very clean and the staff were definitely on the job. They were informative and helpful. Angel in member services made everything smooth for me with no problems and dealt with all my flip flopping around with my dates and changes to my arrival a very calming experience. The location is great and the food was okay. You will not have a problem finding something that you like to fill you up. I have no problem returning here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Modesto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Hotel Cozumel was a pretty good hotel and I enjoyed staying in it I will be recommending this to my friends and family. I needed a hotel for a few of days because I was going to meet someone in Cozumel. I didn’t need much in terms of service so I didn’t expect much I was at least fairly surprised by how good the service was at this hotel it warranted a five star rating because of it. I didn’t have many problems when I first checked in and I didn’t have any problems when I wished to use the facilities such as the pool. While I personally didn't need any of their services they did have a lot of them and the prices where OK some of the services were overpriced but most were affordable. There was only one con that matter and that was I did find the drive to downtown was a bit longer than I wish it to be it was. It was a pretty fun trip still and I did enjoy all the amenities that the hotel had to offer which is good most hotels I stay at they try but they tend to fall flat in some aspects. By the end of my trip I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel it a very enjoyable experience and I think I will be using this hotel again on my return trip when I visit Cozumel for a week.

Room Tip: Spend alittle extra and get the bigger room its worth it
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Tampico, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed 2 nights and was great, great service, no beach front, but you don't need it, across the Street is the beach club (you also can access by a tunnel) and there it is the beach. Great food the swimming pool is great for kids and they also have a kids club.

Room Tip: Enjoy the hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

It is sad but this was our last time to Hotel Cozumel. I have lost count now how many times we have been (perhaps 11 for me). There are no drastic changes - but on our two week trip there last February a couple of things occurred that never had in the past.
My nightgown (cotton and from my honeymoon 15 years ago) and a very nice Tilley hat went missing from the room. No real attempt was made to find these sentimental items...front desk person was almost indifferent when asked if they could have been mixed with the sheets and were in the laundry somehow.
We were charged $70.00 U.S. for loosing the towel cards the night before we left. Clearly on the video tape it shows us returning the towels to front desk (same tall Spanish man - with an attitude of superiority) but it was denied when we said we probably left the cards on the front desk itself.
Our whole years and years of love affair with this little hotel, the beautiful waters to snorkel in and the almost 100% of caring and respect from the staff who are mostly Mayan and so warm - ruined by this one man who is doing nothing to promote repeat visits...and we were so loyal.
It is a shame. Tune in next winter for our new snorkel destination...we can only hope.

Room Tip: they are all about the same...don't pick those facing the road
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Chico, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

After staying at Plaza Las Glorios/Cozumel Palace the last 7 times I came here, I decided to save money and avoid the aggressive condo sales bit at the Palace. This place is about 1/3 the cost. It is not a luxury resort and doesn't claim to be. It is clean, quiet, and the staff are very, very nice. The food is edible, but that is about it. I would stay here again. It is annoying seeing the negative reviews-I mean, really, people, what do you expect if you want to pay a discount price? Many people I met here had stayed here many times and always came back. Nice short walk to town, the beach and dive shop are close by.

Room Tip: I think the upstairs rooms might be a bit better. I wouldn't have paid extra for a suite. Ther...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

After reading many fantastic views about the quality of dive spots around Cozumel island, me and my girlfriend of three years decided to spend our anniversary and first diving holiday there. We stayed at the hotel for a week between the 6th and 13th of June, our initial thoughts upon arrival were that the hotel and surrounding areas are really as stunning as the photos online showed. Cozumel itself is a stunning little island, it is completely surrounded by a beautiful coral reef and crystal clear water. This combined with the beautiful water features of dolphins both in the hotel's lobby and in its grounds really set the scene and got us in the mood for diving. The hotel's restaurant (Los Arcos) provided a delicious buffet which went down a treat after a day spent diving, I would highly recommend going all-inclusive as the food there was very good for the price! The one issue we found was that there may not have been quite the variety we would have wished for although this is being very picky, it was still relatively exceptional in our eyes! After getting slightly sunburnt on the second day we decided to spend a few hours under the sun loungers at the spectacular looking swimming pool. Here we had drinks and snacks supplied from the poolside bar by waiters who were very friendly, professional and spoke perfect English - at all times we felt welcome there! The room itself was spacious and clean, unfortunately we weren't lucky enough to get a sea view but apart from that it were fit for the purpose and we didn't intend on spending too long there anyway! Our room was fitted with a king size bed, a large LCD TV with English channels, a balcony, plenty of storage space and access to the hotel Wi-Fi. The one key feature of the hotel I found particularly handy was the ease of access to the relatively inexpensive diving shop over the road called Dive Paradise. We managed to purchase a few things very cheaply from there shortly after arrival which proved invaluable over the duration of our stay. The diving itself was AMAZING, the two of us had never experienced anything like it before, we managed to spot numerous species of shark, turtle and also a huge eagle ray as well as many other animals! We were pretty overwhelmed to begin with but after a short while we were off exploring the stunning reef and all the fabulous wildlife around it, I would highly recommend this experience to any amateurs or newbies out there - fantastic! One flaw we found whilst we were there was that the hotel's dive centre wasn't staffed for half an hour or so on one of the days, this was simply a minor fault and the staff apologised to us once they returned. On our final day we were both gutted that we had to leave such a gorgeous place, we have been talking about going back already and hopefully it wont be too long of a wait until then. I highly recommend the Hotel Cozumel to anybody who would like to go on a diving holiday, it has a few minor flaws but for its price it really is outstanding!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Cozumel and Resort? Share your experiences!