“Diver friendly” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Billings, Montana
“Diver friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I brought a dive group of 17 and was very pleased with the service and accomdations. The hotel staff went out of their way to make sure all of my customers enjoyed their stay. The food service staff made us all feel very welcome. The hotel was very clean and well maintained. Pool area was great place to socialize after a day of diving.

We did the all inclusive and appreciated the convienence of having food and drink easily accessable. Menu had nice variety and schedules were convienent to our diving schedule. We ate breakfast and lunch on site and occassionaly would eat dinner at the local restaurants. To truly appreciate Cozumel, you need to eat at the local restaurants off the main shopping areas. (HINT: ask your divemaster for recommendations- they know the best places!)

Dive Paradise did a great job as always. Our divemasters did a great job of briefing the divers as to what to expect with an emphisis on safety. They were able to show us great critters- sea horses are my favorite!

The resort has lockers for gear storage and rinse and drying areas to take care of your equipment.

I will definetly be bringing a group back to this resort- made my job as a group leader easy!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My Boyfriend and I are a young couple in our twenties. We stayed a week from Feb 18th-26th.
General Observations:
Rooms are basic, but we had hot water every day! Food is OK - Not good if you are trying to eat clean/healthy - very little vegetable/green options but a lot of carbs and protein. Pool is absolutely huge and beautiful. ** The beach area is not like beaches in Cuba which have flat sandy areas leading into the water, the only beach area is artificial and elevated about 1.5 meters above the water, leading into areas which are rocky and only really good for snorkeling or scuba diving but NOT swimming per se, that is best left for the pool. Bartenders are kind and make great drinks. Hotel Staff is very polite and accommodating - Animation staff tried their best to entertain near the last few days of the trip. ***There are no nightly performances or entertainment such as dances or comedy etc.There is no club in the hotel, or any real party feel on the island at ALL. In the evening you are left to entertain yourself and most nights we went to bed early. On that note - Hotel is very close to the downtown area and is great if you would like to walk to do shopping, take a ferry to the mainland, or go out for dinner.
**I would not recommend this hotel to young couples who are used to the party atmosphere in Cuba or Dominican republic - it is non exitstant. However, if you are looking for a relaxing trip this is for you. Actually the majority of the guests at this hotel are age 50+ and they seem to enjoy the hotel very much because they are returning guests of 4 -5 years+. They mostly read by the pool all day and I believe the enjoy the quiet tranquility of the resort - so if you are looking to make a ruckus, this hotel is not for you! Many of the guests were there for the diving.
My boyfriend and I entertained ourselves by going into town, renting scooters and exploring the island - which was really fun, using the hotel bicycles, going OUT for dinner - there is NO a la carte services at this hotel - i.e no fancy, getting dressed up, the atmosphere is EXTREMELY casual. We also took the ferry ( $26 dollars for the trip) to Playa del Carmen and went to Xcaret a Mayan theme park ($100+ per person) which was AMAZING - highly recommended.
ESSENTIALLY we spent more than $700 between the two of us to entertain ourselves OUTSIDE of the hotel.
By the end of the trip the hotel grew on us - do not get me wrong - everyone was nice, and the hotel was nice, but we spent way too much money trying to find things to do when the hotel should have been sufficient - unfortunately, reading a book all day by the pool did not suffice to entertain us, like the other guests.
By the end of the trip we were ready to go home. Would I return to Cozumel Island? Yes, but maybe to a different hotel. Would I return to Hotel Cozumel - Yes if it was only $500 a person, but not for the price we paid ($1100 +)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarnia, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Room was average at best, minimal hot water and rock hard bed. Was not impressed by the average food have had much better at other Cozumel resorts.
As far as diving goes if you only want to do 2 or 3 dives a day and spend most of it riding on the boat then this is the place. Paradise divers ripped off a lot of people in our group and charge way to much for Nitrox. Plus the guy managing needs a lesson or two on customer service. They even lost a diver while we were there, no grief no explanation...disgusting.
Never again for me & and the 3 other people in our group.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Acton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was our first stay at the hotel and the it was clean and comfortable. Most of the staff was always extremely friendly and helpful although there were a couple of staff people who clearly did not want to be there. We were on the "all inclusive" plan and the food was okay. Standard buffet food which I am not a fan of. I would recommend not getting the AI plan but spending time out visiting the many restaurants that Cozumel offers. We ate about half of our meals out. Our room were 'ocean view'. There is a busy road between the hotel and the ocean so 'ocean view' meant a room overlooking the road. We were on the third floor so we did see the ocean but the road traffic precluded any quiet time on the balcony. I would recommend forgoing the 'ocean view' and sticking to the pool view. Rooms were clean and comfortable. We also had a junior suite which was a standard room with an attached balcony with a jacuzzi on the balcony. We never got a chance to use the jacuzzi so can't comment on that. Here I would also recommend forgoing the junior suite and staying with a standard pool view room. Not worth the extra money in my opinion. So all in all; nice hotel, great staff, stay with the pool view rooms and forgo the all inclusive.

Room Tip: Stay with the standard pool view room. 'Ocean view' room overlooks busy street and junior su...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

The parade floats came by hotel as staging for Carnival This caused main roads to be blocked to traffic Fortunately walk to town was reasonable Raul (manager) and Hector (front desk) were very helpful and pool area was wonderful

• Stayed February 2013
Cocoa Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Went on a vacay with my girlfriends and it was lovely here. Wanted to get down here before the spring breakers rushed all the nice spots so it was well worth it and will stay here again when I return in 2 years. Planning for that now. I was given bad directions once by the concierge here when I was looking for this particular restaurant however we found it, I think since we purchased the all inclusive package which was great we did want to venture out and try other dining so maybe that can improve. Other than that the treatment was great, we did go sea fishing to no avail the other people caught a big fish while myself only was out there feeding the fish with my bait. The view from our patio was awesome, nice pool wish there were more towels

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Midland, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was my 2nd time staying at Hotel Cozumel and Resort. Although it was only for 2 nights, my and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff (all) are friendly and professional. The acccomondations are good and comfortable. Although we went out to a local resturant for one evening meal, the meals were good. I won't hesitate to stay with them again in the near future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Cozumel and Resort? Share your experiences!