“Most of you will LOVE your stay here ...” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Cozumel and Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Costera Sur, Km 1.7, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #35 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
US
“Most of you will LOVE your stay here ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Hola! Coma estas? (Sorry, I was just getting you in the mood for your trip to Mexico!!)

When reviewing a property it’s important you report clear, accurate information. You don’t want to dwell on one small situation that may never happen to another guest again. The bottom line is you want to offer solid advice that will help future guests in their decision as to whether or not a property is right for them.

As a frequent visitor to Mexico I understand the relaxed pace. I understand things are different. In part, that is why I travel to this part of the world.

I enjoy staying at hotels with real Mexican warmth and flavor. If I wanted resorts that look and feel like “America” I would stay at a Marriott.

I am proud to say I am a frequent guest at Hotel Cozumel. That is not to say the property will be “perfect” for you.

My first trip to the hotel, many many years ago, was a little rough. Through no fault of Hotel, Expedia was selling rooms with breakfast however not sending the correct information to the hotel. Sadly, many guests arrived to find they had a room, but were not entitled to the breakfast buffet. Several guests never returned as a result of this problem at Expedia.

That being said, let’s move on with the review starting with the location. As you may already know Hotel Cozumel is a short walk from “downtown” and close to two nice supermarkets. This is especially awesome for people like my wife and I who enjoy walking to downtown every night to choose an outdoor restaurant followed by some sightseeing, shopping, and talking with locals. We are not the type of people who lock ourselves in a “compound” and never leaving like some people tend to do at an all-Inclusive. Cozumel is a town to be enjoyed, like a cold margarita. Safe, friendly and bursting with Christian family values, let me warn you, Cozumel is a very hard place to leave.

As your Taxi pulls up to the Hotel for the first time you are a little nervous, (you are hoping all the “good reviews” you read are true). You are also a little excited. Check in is relaxed but moves along nicely. Guests are usually offered a free welcome drink which is an awesome way to start your vacation. The lobby is spacious and airy. As you meander you can’t help but notice Cozumel’s largest swimming pool. One of the great things about their pool is there is always room for you to take a dip, or swim a lap. There are also plenty of chairs for you any time of day.

After you check in you can take a deep breath. You made it!! Your room is ready and it is now time for you to enjoy your vacation. You will never be as young as you are now and you never feel as good. Don’t worry about a thing at home as those challenges will be waiting for you when you return! Don’t worry about the small stuff. Don’t look for the “bad”. Appreciate and notice the good!

The hotel configuration is a little hard to explain as the buildings sort of make a backwards “C” with the Lobby being at the bottom. There are three floors. One wing has rooms facing the road and ocean. The ground floor rooms in this wing, facing the road, offer little to no view other than an assortment of green vegetation. The second and third floor rooms do in fact offer ocean view rooms but it is not the type of ocean view many come to expect. The hotel sits across the street from the ocean with their beach club and owner’s home on the beach. So yes, you can see that beautiful blue ocean and the cruise ships coming and going but please understand you are not actually “beach front”. Over the years I have heard both complaints and praises for these rooms. Some feel it can get a little noisy at night with the mopeds and cars. Others feel it’s a great way to “experience the real Cozumel”. One thing all will agree upon is the view is very nice to say the least.

The majority of the rooms face a large inner courtyard with awesome views of their pool.

Hallways are bright, cheery and open, complete with fresh cold water containers throughout. I fill up a water bottle or two before venturing out on my mountain bike every morning while my wife fills up a couple on her way to the beach. You may want to keep water bottles by the sink for brushing our teeth. Just a little hint - walk to the end of the building and take the stairs to the top of the small tower for a cool view of the City.

What about the rooms? The biggest concern relative to a hotel should always be, “Are the rooms clean?” The answer is simply “yes”. I understand you will not be comfortable in a room that is not clean. I want to put your mind at ease here. This will simply not be a concern.

The rooms are “standard hotel issue” nicely decorated with a more than adequate bathroom area. There is a safe with an old fashioned key system that will cost you quite a bit if the key comes up missing. (I have voiced my concern about this to the hotel and hope some day they lower, or remove the fee for a missing key. Better yet, I hope they install combination safe locks or room card lock access.)

All rooms have a nice patio or balcony but due to the design, patios and decks do differ slightly. Again, it’s hard to explain, but some are a little more “open” than others.

Your first day will probably be spent just chilling by their pool followed by a stroll to town for a memorable dinner. In the morning, after what many feel is one of the best breakfast buffets around, you may want to head to their “Beach Club”. (I’ll talk more about the food momentarily.)

Let’s review the “Beach Club”, the hotel’s private beach area. This is not quite what you think about when you dream about a “Caribbean beach”. First, Cozumel faces the mainland of Mexico and therefore you don’t have the waves, (they are found on the other side of the island). What you have is one beautiful, large calm body of water. You can literally walk right in to swim or snorkel. (No matter how old you are, or what you think, you don’t want to pass on snorkeling. If you don’t at least snorkel somewhere on Cozumel you missed a part of this paradise.)

Many guests utilize this hotel to go diving. Dive boats pull up to the dock and take groups out daily. This keeps things active at the beach as well as controls crowds in around the beach and pool area.

Over the years the beach has been expanded to more than twice the size it was a few years ago. There are usually plenty of chairs and generous areas of shade. A Restaurant, Bar, Dive Shop, Lockers and Restrooms can all be found at the “Beach Club”.

An area of “concern” and “complaint” of many is the hotel offers a cruise excursion to the hotel. This means guests from cruise ships will invade the beach. Thankfully his is somehow controlled as I have never seen it get out of control. Some cruise guests come to “Make Salsa” by the restaurant while others come to snorkel. The “Hotel regulars” hate the noise as the person hosting the salsa recipe uses a PA system that can be heard in Cuba. By mid-afternoon the noise is over and most of the cruise guests have departed to pick up their big Mexican hat and other souvenirs.

Speaking of “noise” another area of concern is “games” played mid-day at the pool area. These are noisy and obnoxious to say the least. Thankfully I’m out on my bike during this time and my wife is catching rays on the beach.

Let’s talk about the food. The property is billed as an “all inclusive”, however you may purchase “Room only” or “Room and Breakfast only”. Should you choose “Room and Breakfast” you will need to prepay your entire stay.

As you may have heard their breakfast buffet is very good. It’s especially good for people who like Mexican food, however there is always plenty of “Americanized” items to choose from. As for their lunch and dinner, I would have no trouble eating there, however I enjoy being out and about, trying new eateries. The guests who opt for the “all-inclusive” feel that breakfast is their best meal. Others are concerned with the 6:30 PM dinner time as they feel it’s simply too late, especially for children.

It’s important I spend a few minutes to acknowledge and praise the staff. What you heard and read is all true. They are a big reason why this property works for so many. To the “regulars” like my wife and I, they are truly “family”. We are “welcomed home” on every visit. The staff is genuinely glad you are there. They truly enjoy pleasing you.

In conclusion, it’s very hard to compare this property with another as it is so individualized. From the warmth of the atmosphere, to the charm of the employees, Hotel Cozumel has a personality all its own. The Resort is not for everyone, however I don’t know if there really is a “resort for everyone”. It is however a favorite destination for many, including my family and I. Hope to see you there!! Adios.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Oxford, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We did a lot of research on TripAdvisor and other sites before booking Cozumel and Resort and were so pleased with our holiday. I travel a lot on business and am used to the comfy 4*+ hotels scene. C&R has a few spots in the hotel that are basic or dated but that's about the worst I'm going to say because it was excellent value value for money and everything else tipped the balance to make it a super holiday.

Great location on the southern outskirts of the town so restaurants, ferry and supermarkets are within a few minutes walk
Super PADI dive school and beach club on site with 5* staff
Purpose-designed steps into the sea with safe shore snorkelling and diving
The friendliest and most obliging staff ever
Biggest pool in town with a welcoming hot tub, poolside cafe and sunbeds
All inclusive drinks and cocktails
3 cafe/restaurants with good choice of food
Free wifi, iron/board and hairdryer in the rooms and mineral help yourself water in the corridors
Gym, beauty treatments, kids club and all day entertainment
Good onsite advice on day trips with taxi's always outside
Good size rooms and hanging spots on your balcony for your dive gear

Restaurant decor furnishings are a little dated with plastic flowers
Corridors and basic room furnishings are ready for an update
No beach (but we hired a car for $20 a day to the ecopark and east coast)

Room Tip: Shop on the comparison websites as there are good all inclusive deals
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia,pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Just finished another great stay at Hotel Cozumel.The hotel and staff are excellent and some have been with the hotel as long as 20 years.The food is OK breakfast being the best meal in my opinion but the price value relationship equals things out.The rooms and outside areas are clean and constantly cared for all day.There is plenty of shade in pool area which is sometimes difficult to find in Cozumel.Quick walk to town which is nice because you can avoid cabs which in my opinion are the downfall of Cozumel.The WiFi worked well for me but best out by the pool area.I would recommend this hotel to anyone but especially first time visitors to the island.

Room Tip: I like the second floor rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
West Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Great place to stay if you are a diver. Rooms are clean, food is good and the staff goes out of the way to make sure you are having a great time. Dive Paradise is a great dive company located on site. It is an easy walk to town to shop or take the ferry to Playa del Carmen for the day. Stayed here before and looking to return next year.

Room Tip: The majority of the rooms face the pool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Moraga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

The welcome at the Hotel Cozumel was positive and friendly. The scuba operation, Dive Paradise, owned and operated by Renee "Apple" Applegate, was first class. The dive masters were knowledgeable and attentive. All the equipment was well maintained and the boat staff took care of all the scuba gear for the divers. Of course, the diving was SENSATIONAL! The "All-Inclusive" resort lived up to our expectations, with unlimited Tequila shots, tropical cocktails, and delicious fresh fish dishes (AND, the fish was NOT overcooked!). Our room was clean, comfortable, and cozy. We highly recommend this resort. ( Our one disappointment was the lack of fresh bread.)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boise, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This was my third time to Cozumel and first time staying at the Hotel Cozumel. I chose this location mainly for two reasons – it was a good value and it was walking distance to town. The fact that it had a big nice pool was the icing on the cake.

I think whenever reading Trip Advisor reviews you have to take into consideration the expectations of the guests and the purpose for their trip. For us, Cozumel is all about the diving so as long as the rooms are clean and well maintained, that really all we needed or expected. We knew going into it that Hotel Cozumel wasn't going to be a luxurious place and had adjusted our expectations according. Really though, we were hardly ever in the room. We were either on the dive boat, by the pool or in town. One thing I really appreciated was there was WiFi access everywhere - by the pool, in the lobby as well as in our room.

The only gripe I have is that the food is really pretty awful. We had done the all inclusive package because it's convenient to have breakfast and lunch immediately available when diving, and my expectations of the food was already set pretty low, but apparently not low enough. I quickly defaulted to a banana, a box of cereal and yogurt for breakfast each day, and at lunch, I was usually able to take a tortilla and fashion some sort of simple taco but to say the food isn't good is truly an understatement. My husband took to making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at breakfast and saving them for lunch. The advantage of the all inclusive though was drink service at the pool and the Bahama Mama soon became an afternoon staple.

We did a cruise by on the dinner buffet the first night we were there, and quickly decided we would eat in town each night. There are a lot of really amazing restaurants in Cozumel and we really enjoyed walking into town (a 20 minute walk or so) each night and had some really memorable dinners there.

We booked our diving with Dive Paradise which is right across the street. There was a HUGE group of people there the week we were, but Dive Paradise was organized and efficient on getting everyone out on their boats in a timely manner each day (they were so booked, they actually had to rent another dive boat which is the one we were on all week). Our dive master, Gato, was very good and we requested that he remain our guide for the entire time we were there. There's dive lockers right by the rinse tanks - keys provided by the hotel - which are super handy.

All in all it was a fine experience at Hotel Cozumel. Would I stay there again? Possibly but I would skip the all inclusive plan next time, load up my bag with granola bars and set my sights on town for my dining experiences.

Room Tip: Even though there was only 2 of us, they gave us a room with 2 queen beds instead of a king. If I wo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Paradise, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Very pleased with hotel , food was good ,staff was very helpfull .
beds are a little stiff , but I can live with that. Will return and will tell
my freinds what a great time I had.For the price you cant go
wrong..diving was wonderful.