“Great get-away!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Cozumeleno Beach Resort

You added El Cozumeleno Beach Resort to your Saves list
El Cozumeleno Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Santa Pilar Km 4.5, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #28 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Reston, Virginia
“Great get-away!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

We had a great stay! The resort is beautiful. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The food and drinks were good. There is something for everyone. The water was beautiful and there was plenty of fish to view when you go snorkeling. The pools were refreshing and

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,188)
Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a stay with El Cozumeleno. It was incredible. The ocean view was amazing, the snorkeling was incredible, and the staff were great. The restaurant was very good; the broccoli soup we had for an appetizer one night was probably the best soup I've ever had. The snorkeling right off the beach was better than the snorkeling tour we paid for. The views from the room were incredible. We spent a lot of time lounging under the huts on the ocean side where we read and relaxed. It's not the resort's fault by any means, but if you like to relax, be prepared to be interrupted by people who came to Cozumel to party and can't understand why the beach side is so quiet. But that only happened a couple of times. The staff was great and did their best to accommodate our needs. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014
Sugar Land, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I mistakenly ignored the negative reviews because a friend suggested we give this resort a try. Bad food, bad service, rude employees, etc. They should call this the Hotel CozumelNO! The favorite word of the staff is NO! The quote Exercise Room is not air conditioned, and every single machine is out of service. The only available wifi is in the lobby, which is a sweltering 90 degrees 24/7. The food is disgusting. Trust me! Leave this place alone....

Room Tip: Stay away!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington state
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

The resort is nice and typical all inclusive type of food (not excellent) but the snorkeling is NOT great, or even good. This was one of the main reasons we booked there as several other reviews stated the snorkeling was "great" - it was not! There is absolutely no coral present, no plant life, and there is a sandy bottom with a few concrete blocks and rocks which attracts a few fish during the day and a few octopus at night - but certainly not worth the stay. There is fantastic snorkeling out on palancar reef (via boat) and really good shore snorkeling south of the Money Bar area, but not at Cozumeleno. Again the resort is a fine place, but felt the need to present an accurate view of the snorkeling experience - not the reason to stay here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Toledo, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

PLEASE heed my warning!! This is THE WORST RESORT EVER!! The rooms are disgusting. There were dirty clothes in the bed when we arrived. Clearly the sheets were not changed when the last guests left. During the night we awoke to carpenter ants crawling all over us in the bed. There is mold and mildew in the shower and all over the bathroom. The staff DOES NOT CARE regarding any of the above issues. They also won't let you make dinner reservations in the restaurant. They claim it is full, however the over one dozen empty tables all night long lead me be to believe they just wanted everyone to eat at their crappy, disgusting "buffet". The buffet food is HORRIBLE!! I was so disappointed with this entire stay!! PLEASE save your money and spend it at a resort that is clean, where the staff actually cares about you and where the food is edible.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms!!!!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
San Antonio Tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Arrival: Watch out for the Time share!..... they will direct you to the left as to their table as soon as you exit. When you exit customs go to the RIGHT and buy your own transfer ticket to the hotel. No Taxi's are at the airport.

Hot: Bring a small fan (12 Inch). I sleep with a fan for noise so I its worth a MILLION BUCKS and I took it down stairs to use the INTERNET which is ONLY available DOWNSTAIRS not in the room. VERY HOT AND HUMID HOTEL with now A/C or Fans in lobby or around the property except the inside dining room but still HOT and Humid!

Elect: Its US 110 current bring a small extension cord like a 6 footer with two extensions so you can charge your phone and other elect items.

Cup: Bring one large plastic cup for your drinks each. This way you can have larger drinks and not drink out of the same small glasses.

Towel: Bring one beach town any color than Dark Blue. They have beach towels but got one taken from our chair when we went into the ocean. Very POOR towels in the room so may want to bring your own. NEED UPGRADE TO TOWELS and BEDDING.

Book your trips yourself and save $5-$10 each.

Breakfast: You can go to the inside restraint (The one you need reservations at night) for breakfast and they have ceiling fans and and not out in the humid air for breakfast.

Bring some ones for tipping to the bartenders and you will get better drinks.

If you DIVE make sure you get a good Dive Master business with a LARGE BOAT. I dove off a small boat still a good dive but it was hard to enter and exit.

Taxi: Its $10 for taxi to town but if you cross where they are lined up when you first go to town the price doubles. Time share was at the Grand Oxidental Hotel which was 90 Min tour but I got Two Tank Dive for two persons, Round trip transfer from Airport and Hotel, and one day Jeep rental. for $100! Wife got mad but booked it on last day in the morning.

PHOTOS: There is a guy taking photos at the pool and you can get beach pictures but EXPENSIVE. You meet with him in the lobby by the front desk but be ready to pay for it. Great photos I got the 4 for $52.

Have FUN

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
East Islip, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

I recently visited El Cozumeleno Resort and had the most amazing experience. The hotel is beautiful, clean, and overall extremely accommodating. The Ocean View Room in which I stayed had a beautiful balcony, a large bathroom area, and a spacious living/sleeping area. The food was fantastic in both the main dining room (which requires reservations made early in the morning and dress clothes) and also at the buffet. I never felt like the food was boring as there are many options available and different varieties every day. Ultimately, though, I was most impressed by the staff at the resort. When I left, I felt as though I was saying goodbye to close friends. During my week long stay I met so many amazing people, all of which remembered my name and did their best to ensure that my stay was pleasurable. In the main dining room, my waiters Angel and Salvador made the dining experience fun and enjoyable each time. At the buffet, Aaron and Alejandro always checked up on me to make sure that I didn't need anything. At the pool I found a friend in Aldo, who always made sure I had a great drink in my hand. The bartenders Ariel, Candelario, Luis, and Juan also took good care of me. Juan, the director of the daily activities, and staff members Nestor and Omar made everyday an absolute blast. There was always something going on and they made sure to come find me and encourage me to join in. I'm already planning on returning and bringing my family back with me next year. El Cozumeleno is an absolute gem, and I wouldn't recommend going anywhere else for vacation.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are spacious and the balcony is perfect for a nice view and breeze
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Been to El Cozumeleno Beach Resort? Share your experiences!