“Get what you pay for” 2 of 5 stars
Review of El Cozumeleno Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added El Cozumeleno Beach Resort to your Saves list
El Cozumeleno Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Santa Pilar Km 4.5, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #20 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
“Get what you pay for”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

For the price it was not a bad stay. Pros: the drinks are good, snorkel at the hotel is pretty good but all man made. Nice pool with a nice view. Clean rooms. Cons: You WILL get burnt out on there food by the second day same food everyday with not very much taste. Real slow service around the pool most of the time. Room service stops at 11 pm and takes average 1 1/2 hrs. The beach is narrow and real rocky but it is clear water.
It's not a bad place to stay for the price just keep in mind the food is not gonna be great at all. You will also have to leave the pool most of the time to get drinks. Take sun screen or buy it in town 25 usd at the resort. I would not recommend this resort.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,004)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

I would definitely return to this place. The staff was very polite and welcoming. My family is already planing our second visit to this place. We really did not want to leave this place. We fell in love.

Durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

I had a great time at El Coz. The staff and service was excellent. We did see the infamous birds that everyone talks about. The buffet does have shields. It is only when people leave the shields up, that the birds can and will get into the buffet. They also have a great restaurant where the birds cannot get into, if that's a issue for you. I also got ate up by the mosquitos. Otherwise great experience and I would come back!

Nacogdoches, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Stayed in the old building, had musty smell but otherwise view was wonderful. Food was not the best but we managed. Wished they had more choices of beer. We had a wonderful time. There were 5 of us in 2 separate rooms and they placed us close together which worked out really great! Fili with Lomas was the best with helping us with all of our excursions. All the staff were wonderful, they helped us with we needed. Beds were very hard!
If you want to eat some great lobster, go to Pepe's downtown. Was excellent food.
Remember to bring repellant for mosquitos because they are BAD. Snorkeling was great right there at the resort. We would definitely stay again. Chairs on the beach were always accessible. No towels were left in them to hold. Seen staff picking up towels out of chairs at night. Staff was always cleaning.

Room Tip: Get in new tower. Better beds from what we heard from other guest.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Upon arrival to El Cozumeleno on Thursday, June 5, 2014, we were assigned room 515. We had requested the new tower, but were placed in the old tower. We explained this to the desk, but were told the new tower rooms were all full. This was a huge disappointment since we were expecting the new, nicer tower. We would not have booked this resort if we knew we would be placed in the old tower.

When I woke up on Friday morning, I noticed a few red bites to my shoulders, upper back, and arms. My mom also had these bites. I showed the front desk my bites, but was told by the workers the bites were from “fleas.”

On Saturday morning, the bites had spread to my lower and upper back, feet, arms, shoulders, and face. The worst areas were the posterior of my upper and lower back, since I sleep on my back. We spoke to the front desk again and showed the bites to the workers. We were told these were “just mosquito bites.” I know these bites were not mosquito bites. Being from Oklahoma, I know these bites did not resemble mosquito bites. Mosquito bites are white welts and have no particular pattern. These bites were bright red, raised, clustered, and appeared in a lined pattern. The bites caused severe itching and made me feel miserable. Numerous guests commented on my bites. Several of the other guests saw my bites and told me that they resembled bed bugs.

On Sunday, my lower and upper back, shoulders, hands, feet, and face had countless bites. Bright red clustered swelling covered my body. My mother also had more red bites. We had the maid come into our room to change the sheets and sweep the floor. After cleaning the room and seeing my bites, the maid told us that the problem was bed bugs. The maid told us that this wasn’t the first time the hotel had this problem. My mom and I went to the front desk to demand a new room. The desk manager was very rude and denied the bed bugs. He said that we brought the bugs into the hotel. The desk manager said that since we had the “do not disturb” sign on our door, this is why we were in this situation. The desk manager made my mom and I feel very uncomfortable and were treated like an inconvenience. My mom and I kept our room very clean. There was no way that by having our beds made and floor swept would have prevented bed bugs.

Finally on the last day, Sunday, the desk manager moved us to the new tower. This was only after demanding we be relocated to a bug free room. My mom and I lost several hours of sunlight and beach time to packing our things up and transferring rooms. We wasted valuable hours of our vacation time. The desk manager never once apologized or accepted responsibility. 515 was immediately placed with new guest. No new bug bites occurred overnight in our new room.

The bites will heal, but the possibility of taking bed bugs back to two of our houses is high. Bed bugs are very difficult and expensive to get rid of once in your house. Simply switching rooms did not solve the problem. The exposure of the bugs to our clothing, belongings, and luggage had already occurred.

I have have seen two different physicians back in the states. Both have confirmed my insect bites to be bed bugs bites.

Stephenville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

We've been staying at the El Cozumeleno for well over 6 years. We've never had a bad experience. Everyone is extremely friendly and we feel like it is our home away from home. Many of the staff treat us like family.

Room Tip: 317 417 and 517 are great rooms!
Stephenville, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

This was our second trip to the El Cozumeleno. We stayed 10 days this time and really hated to leave. We love this resort. We will be going back ASAP!!! The food and drinks are good and the service is great.

• Stayed June 2014

Been to El Cozumeleno Beach Resort? Share your experiences!