“Thanksgiving early in cozumel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Cozumeleno Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added El Cozumeleno Beach Resort to your Saves list
El Cozumeleno Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Santa Pilar Km 4.5, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Ranked #20 of 57 hotels in Cozumel
Erie, Colorado
“Thanksgiving early in cozumel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We love going to the Elcozumeleno!!!We go there twice a year and always leave happy!!!The service is great and we enjoy the food from the menu to the resteraunt and buffet.There is alot of activities going on and ice cream and pop machine.There is alot of things going on at night also. Either movie night or casino night etc. We rarely ever leave the hotel.Can't wait to come back and see all our friend that work there!!!!!!!

Room Tip: If you have kids stay south gardenview.They have a playset.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

3,356 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (861)
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I'm a repeat guest. I stay off-season, so there were fewer entertainment and food options, but I was there for the fabulous setting and relaxation. The waters are so perfectly clear it's stunning and the location provides some great sunsets. Unlike some of the larger resorts, virtually every room has a view and everything is right there, not some outrageous hike from one place to the next. It's great for families and groups. The staff try to accommodate everyone, even if it isn't on the menu or amenities. Even after a year, they remember you. It makes it worth coming back.

Room Tip: Ask for the south tower, the upper floors, away from the elevators. Great views. At night you can se...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
oz
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We went at the end of September and rather enjoyed ourselves. My husband and I and my friend and her sister traveled together. I had emailed the hotel and requested a upper floor room on the new end. We had the transfers form delta airlines ( included in package ) and they were there and waiting. Arrived at the hotel and were welcomed with a drink ( tasted sort of like tang) and checked in . We were given rooms 1708 & 1709 which was great being next to each other. We were there during the 1/2 ironman so there was a lot of activity at the hotel. I found the room nice and loved the balcony. After a quick room check we changed and headed to the beach. They have a very nice walkable resort. I forgot and left all my snorkel gear on a table by the beach after a quick snorkel. After dinner that night we walked to the beach area and my husband says look somebody forgot all their stuff. That's when I noticed IT WAS MINE I had forgot all about it and it was still there 6 hours later ! That says a lot about the resort and the guests that were there.I have been to cozumel several times and to different resorts but this was my first fall trip I prefer summer trips. It was rather cloudy and rained more than I am use to. The beds at the resort are rock hard but just ask for a mattress topper or two and its better, the pillows are hard too. I brought my own travel mug and straws and they had no problem filling it, it even was even asked about one day when I didn't have it. The waiter says no blue cup today, did you forget it in your room? He even offered to get it for me , again service at its best. I am not a huge foodie but I will say that the inside dining was so yummy . They are very proud of the meals that they make and watch to see if you like them. After the 1/2 ironman ended the resort was pretty quiet and I personally love that. I walked the beach every morning and was very pleased with the snorkeling too. I wish the rooms had clocks and coffee makers in them .i know for my next visit I will rent the fridge for the room , I missed having one. I didn't get a chance to play mini golf but I will next time. For the price you really can't go wrong with this resort, keep a open mind and give it a try.

Room Tip: the higher the better for the view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tecumseh, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Jose (T-Rex) and Roberto....the best!! Those two alone would make me want to choose this resort again. We ate in the formal restaurant 3 nights, and in the buffet 2 nights. They were both very good. The games they played were hilarious. (My husband and I won first place in the balloon contest) We always tried to sit in T-Rex's area....he took VERY good care of us.

Room Tip: We was on the 9th floor in the newer tower. No complaints at all. Extremely quiet & we slept w...
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My fiance and I (both 30 years old) just returned from a 7 day stay at El Coz. It was our first time in Cozumel and had purchased 7 days on Groupon. Overall, the value for the price was outstanding. I don't know that you could stay at a low scale Holiday Inn for the price we paid.

The positive: First, I cannot say enough how incredible the staff is. Everyone was SO nice and accomodating. Lourdes, one of the waitressess, would actually bring our drinks onto the island in the middle of the pool for us. Even though it is an all inclusive, I hope more people tip the staff as they really really work hard and deserve it. They really appreciate a few dollars here and there. Second, the view from our balcony was incredible. I definitely reccomend an ocean front view. We were on the sixth floor. I would ask for a room on at least the third floor to get a spectacular view. We ordered room service every morning and ate breakfast on our balcony. The beach was pretty good as well. It was quite rocky, but clear enough to walk around the rocks into the ocean. The rocks also provided great snorkeling. Third, the facility is very clean. I even witnessed staff scrubbing individual slabs of stone out front.

The "kind of" negative: My only reccomendation to El Coz would be change the menu a bit. Granted, it was the slow season and I have read that the buffet has more during the busy season. Again, the service was fantastic. The buffet options were quite limited.. I reccommend ordering off of the menu in El Cocal. The service in the indoor restaurant was quite nice as well. There is a piano player that loves taking requests. He is a doll. The tomatoe bisque was really good, but when I ordered the spinach ravioli, I only recieved one lonely ravioli in a nicely decorated dish... Oh well, it was still good! I would reccommend closing the doors to El Cocal to eliminate some of the birds that seem to come in. I would also reccommend adding a soda station indoors. The bees that would cluster around it terrified me.

Overall, the value for the price was quite superb and I would reccomend to the hotel to someone that is not a foodie, but loves a good value and good service.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This was our first time visiting Cozumel. We purchased a YouSwoop coupon (it's a company similar to Groupon) and chose El Cozumeleno out of about a dozen other resorts. We chose it largely because of the reviews on TripAdvisor; we figured that if it was good enough for people to come back several times, it's good enough for us to try it once. What a great choice! We were there November 12-15, which is the tail end of their slow season.

The facility was super clean and well tended to. Try to get an ocean view on a higher floor. We were on the second floor and were woken up by loud guests walking/talking below, squawking birds greeting the morning, and employees working hard to keep the place clean. We spoke with a guest on the 9th floor and he didn't hear any of that.

The employees were all smiling, happy to serve us, and bent over backwards to accommodate. The alcoholic beverages are normal to strong for mixed drinks and the beer selection was either Dos Equis Lager or Sol. We have food allergies and made sure to notify the staff when we dined (we even learned how to say it in Spanish). They always made sure that what we ate was safe. The food was good but the variety wasn't too large - I believe this is because the hotel was only about 15% full since it was still the slow season. I was told by guests who've been there during high season that the buffet is huge with a large variety to choose from.

The beach and ocean on the property is immaculate. They even have staff that scoop up seaweed off the beach and out of the water! You can easily see how El Cozumeleno does a great job of keeping their property well tended to by looking at the beaches/water on the properties next door (those places have lots of garbage and seaweed).

We enjoyed snorkeling right on the property where there was a lot of different colorful fish to look at. A staff member brought us a large bag of bread to feed the fish and we had quite a show with scores of fish swimming all around us.

We loved our stay here and definitely would return. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT MADE OUR STAY SO SPECIAL!

TIPS: (1) Don't go in the hot tub until the afternoon or later when it actually gets hot. (2) If you go on one of the timeshare tours offered from the airport, they tell you it takes 90 minutes. That's false; including transportation to the mainland, traveling to the timeshare property, the people giving their sales pitch, etc., it's about 4 hours. However, you get a pretty decent amount of things for your time like round trip ferry vouchers to/from the mainland; scooter rental and basic insurance for two days or a one day car rental, cab fair to/from the airport, money for admission to the Tulum ruins, and a buffet meal. (3) Rent a scooter and drive around the perimeter of the island. It's a ton of fun! (4) When riding a scooter, don't put your hair up in a high bun and then put the helmet on. The helmet won't fit properly so it will continuously fall back and the neck strap will choke you. Ladies, trust me on this; it sucks. (5) You don't have to pay for parking in downtown Cozumel if you're using a scooter. It's free! We were told you cannot park in areas where the curb is red, and can only park in areas where the curb is yellow for 15 minutes. However, locals told us that no one follows the yellow parking rule and you can stay however long you want. We never got the chance to try that out, though. (6) When taking the van/bus to Tulum, make sure you tell the driver that's where you're going. Most of the people riding the van are natives and only speak Spanish so you definitely don't want to miss your stop! (7) If you're traveling during the off-season for your flight back to the USA, you can arrive at the Cozumel airport about 60-75 minutes before your departure time. Customs and security clearance is a breeze so long as you've got all your paperwork and ID ready. (8) Have pesos on you for cab rides; we were told by locals that some cab drivers pretend they don't have change so you'll be losing money if you give them say a $20 bill. Also, locals told us not to tip cab drivers because they make a lot of money by swindling the customers in the way I just mentioned. I'd like to point out though that our experience with cab drivers were very positive and they even charged us less than what the hotel told us they would. We ended up tipping out drivers 10 pesos.

Room Tip: Get a room with an ocean view on at least the 6th floor or higher; it's quieter and a lovely vie...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Its an all inclusive but in low budget. The fine dining restaurant is doesn't have the best food. I recommend the beach front restaurant better. order from the menu. The chef there makes delicious food. If you go in low season the buffet will not have as much variety as when the hotel is packed. I highly recommend snorkeling. It's beautiful. The hotel will provide you with everything you need. For the price is a good hotel.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to El Cozumeleno Beach Resort? Share your experiences!