“Central Location in Cozumel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cozumel Palace

You added Cozumel Palace to your Saves list
Cozumel Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av Rafael E Melgar km 1 5, Adolfo Lopez Mateos, Cozumel 77600, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 57 Hotels in Cozumel
Houston, TX
“Central Location in Cozumel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

This resort was great for my family of four. The staff was FANTASTIC, and they were there to help us with any of our needs. The restaurant options were great as well, with a ton of options. There was even plenty of food to meet our vegan needs, which is hard to find.

As far as entertainment, the shows at night were fun, the massage from the spa was very relaxing, and the entertainment staff had some activities for my teenaged kids, including volleyball in the pool and bracelet making.

The "resort credit" was not the best deal, as it was difficult to use and the activities you could use it on were limited. The staff at the desk won't tell you all of the options of things there are to do on the island, they only tell you about the things that they have "partners" with. So investigate before you go and make reservations yourself.

The rooms were beautiful, complete with all of the amenities you need (there was even a chi straightener for my hair). The beds were comfortable, the views divine. The balcony was awesome with a perfect view and a comfortable hammock.

There was no "beach" per se. But they did have a sandy area where there were chairs set up. There were also two docs which you could jump off of and swim. The snorkeling right there was pretty good, though small.

In all, I'd recommend this place for the great service, food, comfort and cleanliness.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view. Some rooms have multiple bedrooms. Our room had a hot tub which we f...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (995)
  • Hebrew first
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Have just arrived here and find that the pictures are very deceiving. Never stay at a Palace property here again !! The resort credit is a joke. This is a very tiny 'resort' but overcrowded and not enough services to take care of guests. Maybe a three star at best. NOT a five star property.

Stayed December 2013
CozumelPalaceGM, General Manager at Cozumel Palace, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear sanjeevku

Thank you so much for staying at Cozumel Palace, for your comments and for taking the time to share them through Tripadvisor, your straight forward observations are greatly appreciated, as feedback is of extreme importance for Cozumel Palace and Palace Resorts.

I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointment, especially so shortly after your arrival. We hope we were able to change your mind during your visit and that we showed you why Cozumel Palace is one of the highest rated resorts in the destination.

Our hope is that every vacation be a memorable and enjoyable one. We sincerely hope that you will return to Mexico many more times in the future and once again giving us the opportunity to host you at one of our Palace Resorts.

Cordially,

J. Ariztegui
Cozumel Palace G.M.
jariztegui@palaceresorts.com
Southlake, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

My family and I visited the Cozumel Palace in Cozumel this Christmas. My husband, two daughters and spouses, granddaughter, step-son and step-daughter, along with my sister, niece, and brother, flew into Cozumel 2 days before Christmas. Yes, we had a big group.

The staff at the Cozumel Palace went out of their way to help the entire group for our trip. Daniel, an activity director, ensured that we had a fun time. Jose made sure we had plenty of food and drink. The fish sticks were amazing, and the pizza oven in the afternoon was great, too! And their house creation, the Wavebreaker (half mojito, half cerveza -- sounds bad but is wonderful - cuts the sweetness of the mojito) was a nice surprise, as well.

This was our 2nd time to visit, and we will absolutely visit again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Our first stay at this wonderful resort! The staff was amazingly friendly, helpful and sincerely wanted you to have the best vacation experience possible. The bell men, desk staff, maids, waiters, bartenders, etc were great. Bernice and Alfredo at the Concierge desk were always smiling and helpful. Our wine and Tequila 'tasting' with Juan Carlos was very fun. Massimo- Thank you for the lovely dinners! Thank you all so much for such a first great experience!
Cozumel Island has many facets for exploration- Punta Sur, San Gervasio archeological site, Cozumel Country Club for golf, snorkeling, scuba, downtown shopping and beautiful sunsets!

Coarsegold
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

My wife and I recently returned from a ten day stay at the Cozumel Palace (Mid Dec). This was our 2nd trip to this resort (first in 2011, reviewed in TA) and we are really glad to say that this visit was as good as the first. The service, attention and attitude of all the staff is amazing. We have been owners of various Palace plans since early 2010 and we have come to expect excellent conditions and treatment, but the Cozumel Palace experience is really extra

Compared to most other Palace (and Hard Rock/Legendary) resorts, the Cozumel Palace is smaller and has fewer services and restaurants, but the smaller size is more than compensated by the personal vibe that you get from the staff and even the guests. We met a number of other guests and had great conversation and experience that we hope will continue in the future. So many of the people that we talked with had stayed at this resort previously (some numerous times) and I think that fact is a real testament to what you can expect.

Some of the best features:

Scuba Shop (Aqua Safari) on site. You can use the Resort Credits to pay for daily scuba trips. Other reviewers comment about the size of the boats and the number of divers, and I will agree, but I also think that you can't beat the convenience and price of this feature. A 2 tank dive costs $125 Resort Credits, but the actual out-of-pocket cost is only the tax (11% or $13.75 US). Where else can you get a 2 tank dive on one of the worlds most famous barrier reefs for that price? It was also my experience that it wasn't only for beginners. In fact, I met more "seasoned" divers than beginners. And while I agree that it may be just as convenient to have other dive operators pick you up at the CP dock, you are going to pay a lot more than $13.75. I suggest that you might consider using both options...

Chef's Dinner (using Resort Credits). We enjoyed this "activity" and met many other guests who agreed that this was one of the best activities offered. Getting a gourmet meal personally prepared by the head chef of such a high quality resort is a great experience, and getting to personally know the chef, and some of his history was a great highlight and continued throughout our stay..

Wine Service / Wine Tasting (using Resort Credits). The Sommelier, Juan Carlos, is obviously passionate about his profession and his willingness to help guide you in picking out appropriate wines (either for a particular dish or just suited to your taste and preference) shouldn't be missed. You can also use Resort Credits to buy wine to bring home. (We usually do this with Resort Credits that are left over at the end of our stay)

Sting Ray Beach. (included "free" activity, at least with our membership plan). After a short 15-20 minute walk from the resort, the experience of seeing these amazing creatures up close, touching them, holding them and diving with them was very cool. You can even feed them, but watch out for the greedy little fish that will try to steal the squid that you feed the rays with!! Great staff, but the pictures could have been a lot better...

There are many other activities that you can use resort credits for including spa treatments, tours, shopping, special dining, etc. Some are better than others, but this is a very nice benefit.

Most reviews will mention and even gush about the service and attention. We agree.and want to mention some of the staff that made our visit excellent. In no particular order:

Wilma and Nayeli (hostess)
Hugo (PVP), Angel (Aqua Safari)
Silvia and Ruben (Flamingo Grill/poolside service)
Francisco, Gabriel, Fili, Maria (morning/lunch service)
Roger and Alejandro (lounge service)
Dulce and Sara (front desk)

We also want to acknowledge some staff that we neglected to note names for:

All of the bartenders and staff at the lounge bar, the Flamingo bar and the swim up pool bar. Awesome MoPitos (my name for my special Mojito). Thanks for the continuous flow of this "essential" drink.

All of the morning and lunch cooks at the buffet grill. I am always pleasantly surprised at the willingness to accommodate my "off-the-menu" requests, and the quality with which they deliver such requests.

The PVP staff in general. I always get a little confused with who helped me do what in this group, but they all are eager to make sure you get a great experience.

The housekeeping staff. What pleasant people who always delivered a comfortable evening and were willing to make sure that any problem that we mentioned was resolved.

I also want to thank the entire staff for allowing me to butcher the Spanish language. Over the years, I have picked up some phrases and words, and I have fun "trying" to speak Spanish. But I know that it sounds way better to me than to you and I appreciate your patience and tolerance and even help in letting me get away with my own version of your language.

We look forward to our next visit.

PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I visited cozumel palace from June 16 through June 25 under a palace elite membership. We were arriving from another resort so we paid the $46 to be picked up at that resort rather than the airport. The pickup at our first resort went fine; however, the problems began with the ferry. We arrived at Playacar Palace and they were fantastic. The problem was there was no ferry tickets or vouchers set up for us. We ended up having to sit at Playacar palace for a couple hours. We then had to carry our own bags to get the ferry. When we arrived in cozumel, transportation went fine. First of all, we should not have had to sit at Playacar palace because our ferry was not set up - no one had a clue about it. Second, we definitely should not have had to carry our own bags all the way to the ferry. (When we were leaving, the gentleman at Playacar told us that he always helps with the bags down to the ferry so we clearly just got the wrong guy out front when we arrived).
Once on the resort, most things went really well. The timeshare speech was ridiculous, but we knew that going into it. We were hounded by the concierge that wanted to set trips up for us and for the timeshare speech constantly- he even called our room early morning about it. I do not want hounded on vacation!
The best part of the stay was definitely the people. Juan at the bar was absolutely fantastic. Camilla, the server at the bar was great too! As was Alejandro. The chef Massimo was fantastic and prepared us a special four course meal our last night that ended our trip perfectly!
The biggest issue, and what will prevent us from returning to a palace resort was the issue with credits, both using them and the actual booking of items with credits. First of all, every person had a different story of how the credits could be used. I would be told I could use them on something and then when I went to use them, I was told I couldn't. For example, the $100 bathing suit credit. The vacation planners told me I could use the $100 on any bathing suit in the gift shop with no minimum required. When I tried to do this, I was told that I could only use the credit on a couple bathing suits that were $125+. This also happened with the suncare items at the gift shop. The vacation planners told me I could just go buy suncare products with no minimum required up to the whole credit. Once at the gift shop, they told me it was $20 in credit for every $50 spent on suncare-a completely different story. Then there was he issue with spa credits and my free manicure. I wanted to use spa credit to upgrade my free manicure to an acrylic fill in and was not allowed. This was completely unacceptable to me because I could not get the free manicure. I stay at sandals resorts quite frequently (with 70 nights stayed) and they would never argue with me on such trivial items. This is why I will continue to stay at sandals, not palace resorts. Secondly, I could not book a bunch of items how I wanted because everything was booked up. I contacted the resort beforehand and was told that it was not necessary to boom beforehand when clearly it was. In reality, the resort needs more employees and more tour availability so that this is not such an issue. While I am talking about vacation planners, I will bring up my issue with Darwin the vacation planner. He was horribly rude to me from the get go. He was impatient when my husband and I discussed options for tours and when we wanted to book items in front of him. It then got to the point that he never said hi to me as I walked around the resort (like I know employees are supposed to) and he even avoided coming back to the desk if I was there.
This trip to cozumel palace furthered my love of sandals resorts. They pay attention to every detail and focus on pleasing their guests (they will do anything to ensure that we are happy the whole time and leave happy as well).

• Stayed June 2013
Dear muecker

We appreciate that you have taken the time to bring this to our attention. Clearly there are areas that need improvement, and we're sorry to hear that you were treated with the typical guest experience from Cozumel Palace. Please be assured that we will thoroughly review all the feedback you provided to avoid any further transportation or Resort Credit miscommunications. We will also make sure to send your regards to Massimo.

Cordially,

J. Ariztegui
Cozumel Palace G.M.
jariztegui@palaceresorts.com
Woodbridge, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Staff here is one in a million...they are fully invested in making your stay as good as they can! Wait staff will bend over backwards to make sure you have what you need. Activities coordinators are high energy...a little over the top, sometimes cheesy, but with good intentions. They definitely try to involve everyone. The one drawback about this location is that you do not get a beach to walk on. The food is very good, especially for an all-inclusive. Chi products and fluffy white towels in bathrooms were a nice touch!

Room Tip: Choose rooms on higher floors and away from the elevator. We stuffed a towel under our door to muffl...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cozumel Palace? Share your experiences!